PDA

View Full Version : Furious at Majesco Games: The Story of A Game That Deletes Itself

Wolfgg
05-07-2010, 09:26 PM
I can handle playing a bad game and the following title has its severe issues, I am talking about Majesco Games "Kengo Legend of the Nine"

For those of you unfamiliar with Kengo let me tell you a little about the games single & multiplayer, first you play through the games story mode, consisting of 9 missions for each of the 9 samurai, you gain exp to put towards additional combat abilities and a 2 to 3 points you can assign that will increase you characters attack, defense and stamina.

sounds cool right, rpg elements, building a character, but whats this? a box at the end of each level titled "AI Traits" is present, and based on your performance in each level you will see traits fill in, they are supposed to be based on your actions in each level, the game determines what type of attacks you used and assigns an AI trait.

Example,say im fighting a boss at the end of level 1 and getting my ass handed to me, but an opening is found to pin the enemy down and perform an execution,I won, my reward for the near death survival is a trait called "Pushes back from Edge" which we can assume means overtaking an enemy from the edge of death, but is this just a title? Why does it say AI Trait, typically AI refers to the computer, im certainly not a computer, and it gives me no benefit through the rest of the story, obviously I want to survive taking minimal damage, which means im not going to try to find a lucky break intentionally to take damage, survive, and pull out the "Pushes back from the Edge" title ive been assigned as an AI trait

Well, the game has been completed, i've got my character with these weird AI traits and to this day no one has been able to decipher what most of them mean or what it takes to unlock some of the more difficult traits that lead to achievements, its often based on pure chance.(their use will be explained shortly)

the game is short but hey I can take my character into "Xbox Live Nationwide Contest Mode" and challenge other players to fight, granted the game against the computer was lackluster but fighting against 2 players should have some appeal,I hope other people play this game.

before entering a match I am not given the option of selecting Player Match or Ranked Match(this is common in games with an online multiplayer element), it turns out all matches are ranked, which is fine with me I suppose. I quickly notice that the list of AI Traits is present on this screen too, how odd...

Lets see what happens when I select match, BOOM "AN OPPONENT HAS BEEN FOUND" Wow that was fast, it didn't search at all, I see a versus screen and it asks if I am ready to battle I can see my opponent has readied up so I hit A to engage in combat, lets see who the victor is.

well, immediately I find that I have no control over my character, I can't move, attack, block, parry or do anything. You are probably starting to piece this together, the reason I found an opponent to battle so quickly is because they registered a character in the online mode at some point, the game records this and uses that saved character as an opponent for future players, the original creator of that character doesn't even have to be online.

This is where the AI traits come into the picture, since I cant control the character at all, his actions are entirely based on moves I used in the main game, most of the enemies in the game don't block or parry, so if you just button mash through the game your character will do the same online, and the AI traits play some type of role, perhaps my "pushes back from the edge" improves my characters ability to attack at the brink of death.

The bottom line is if someone else plays through the game focusing only on parrying and stunning you into objects they can easily perform executions, so while my character is swinging away at an opponent that is blocking attacks all they(the computer controlled opponent) must do is wait for a predictable swing and parry, push me into a wall and perform an execution the game is over, I am easily defeated.

This actually adds strategy to the game which is one area I commend it on, the AI attempt to replicate your play-style from the the main game is far from perfect, but this means you have to find a balance between attacking, blocking, parrying and engaging the opponent in a grapple, similar to WCW NWO Revenge on the N64, an opponent that blocks is open to a grapple which is the same as parrying except the person initiating the grapple has control of throwing the enemy into the wall to perform their own execution.

This is very difficult, imagine trying to customize a character that can react as close to lifelike as possible, during the 9 stages its not just a matter of changing play styles, such as blocking and parrying on stage 1, all out attack on stage 2, going for the grapple on stage 3, their is an unknown factor and balance you MUST strike so that your AI counterpart will use the appropriate abilities online, if the game determines you leaned heavily into just One playstyle, your screwed. because as the proverbial "Scissors" as soon as you meet "Rock" your toast.

After playing through the game many times, I finally got a character I was satisfied with, he would grapple a blocking enemy, block incoming attacks and parry their attacks. I found myself moving up the leaderboards opponents became harder and for a online game that I had no control over their were many "Edge of the Seat" moments that make you feel involved, even though your simply a bystander.

Let's talk about the achievements in the game, mainly the later ones, their are 10 achievements for winning a set number of battles while being at or above a particular spot on the leaderboard. They are named "Dan 1 - Dan 10". Dan 1, simply requires beating a single character one time, but as you move up and get closer to "Dan 10", it gets much more complicated. For instance, in Dan 9(the highest I have currently reached), you must win 50 online matches while maintaining a rank in the top 5% of all players. Pretty tough, but with the right character I described above it was a accomplishment in and of itself to see a character I had crafted so meticulously overcoming this challenge and reaching that spot on the leader board.

Now "Dan 10" is where the game says, "no more screwing around, your character better be built to near perfection if you want a shot at this one". You must win 100 battles while maintaining a rank in the top 1%, by my calculation that would mean reaching a rank on the leader board of 75-80(since their are 7,500-8,000 recorded players), and players at that level become truly challenging.

But that's enough about that, lets move on to my frustration with Majesco Games, after all that's what this topic is about. I failed to mention that when entering an online battle the game saves itself a ridiculous amount of times, and it always asks if your "OK" with it saving, so thats alot of jamming on the A button, what are they thinking, if I select to battle online obviously saving is a requirement, if I say No I simply cant play, so why require a confirmation of this... theirs also one of those redundant screens that cautions plug pulling the 360 or shutting off if you think you will lose, it still counts against your stats, but you have to view this every single time, if I have seen this screen once and understand that shutting the system off wont save me from a loss of rank, why do I have to hit A before EVERY fight to acknowledge that I am again "OK" with this.

Another thing is, why should I have to hit A to ready up and start the fight when I reach the screen that displays my character and the opponent, am I supposed to be able to back out with the B button if the opposing samurai looks too "uber" and go back to the main menu, NO! you can't do this, short of shutting down the 360 system once you reach this screen you are forced to battle, so why must I hit "A" to confirm that I will battle this opponent. this game begs for a turbo controller, for a game that automates itself during gameplay online, their sure is alot of tedious menu navigation requring player input to just start a battle.

But that is the least of my worries, last night May 6th 2010, after winning an online match that would place me at around 120 in the leaderboard ranking, I am exited to the menu i've seen countless times before, but this time it reads "Failed to record match results, Do you wish to continue". I selected No and it just kept popping up again, as soon as I selected Yes I was shocked by what I saw.

The game went into every nook and cranny and deleted not only my online progress of the leaderboard, but the character I was playing, the 14 other characters I had taken through story mode(more than 9 since some were across multiple difficulties), and anything else it could get its grubby hands on. It was reset to the point as though I was putting the game in for the first time. All because one match could not be recorded, if it couldnt record that match why not just void it and allow me to continue with other matches.

Lets look at the offline progress I have lost, another achievement requires that you beat the game with all characters, but not just once, you have to beat the game with all characters at all difficulty levels and their are 3, lets do a bit of math, if their are 9 samurai with 9 missions each that makes 81 missions to clear that would mean that I have 9 samurai that can be marked as completed on easy difficulty with normal and hard to go. From the start of the game your looking at 27 playthroughs with a total endcount of 243 missions cleared if you want this achievement, and thats what I am looking at now since I have been handed by Majesco a blank slate to start from scratch.

(more to say, but reaching limit on allowable text in a post)/endrant/

Cardiff1927
05-08-2010, 12:23 AM
Lol ^^

yeah sorry but I gave up reading that after the second paragraph

Wolfgg
05-08-2010, 01:11 AM
no problem, children such as yourselves often have short attention spans.

EDIT: besides, the fact that my topic has the word "story" in it should be a clue to even the most dimwitted of ogbross and Cardiff1927 that it was a post of with substance.

Xylon Uxkid
05-08-2010, 01:14 AM
Wow man, that really sucks. Are you going to try again???

crazy W01f 816
05-08-2010, 01:21 AM
Calling someone a child because they don't want to read a wall of text, half of which is sort of confusing, is immature in and of itself.

Besides, I read the entire thing and I am still a little confused as to what the hell you are talking about.:confused:

In the future, try to keep your rants short, sweet, and to the point. It's better that way; it also gets rid of trolls like post #2.

Wolfgg
05-08-2010, 01:38 AM
Wow man, that really sucks. Are you going to try again???

I am not sure, debating on it.. maybe one of these days.

Calling someone a child because they don't want to read a wall of text, half of which is sort of confusing, is immature in and of itself.

Besides, I read the entire thing and I am still a little confused as to what the hell you are talking about.:confused:

In the future, try to keep your rants short, sweet, and to the point. It's better that way; it also gets rid of trolls like post #2.

meh, im not being immature, presenting a topic which is mine and expressing it how I see fit is apart of message boards, no one is required to reply or read what I have to say, but I wanted to delve into a recent experience I had with the game in my own way. I am not going to cater to people who are lazy. but once again, no one has to reply, a forum is for the open exchange of ideas, I abided by the rules concerning character limit in a post and if my way of ranting doesn't suit your standards then that is an issue you will need to resolve yourself

Kengo is a damn unplayed game, their is currently no achievement guide and the games been out since 2007, I wanted to give some basic information on my journey through the game and the catastrophic conclusion. Take it as it stands, expecting people to conform to your standards when making a post is simply foolish, celebrate the diversity that makes this forum great, or ignore my post all together, im content with either.

PS: Xylon seemed to understand the post, its purpose and the conclusion.

EmporerDragon
05-08-2010, 05:44 AM
For those that are going tl,dr:

TC buys game, invests many hours climbing the leaderboard, makes it to the top levels, then something happens to make the leaderboards unable to record the results of a match. The game responds by deleting every single file about itself on the 360, leaving TC back at square 1.

Yeah, if that happened to me, I'd have thrown that game so hard, there'd be reports of it decapitating someone in China.

A ZombieTwinkie
05-08-2010, 05:46 AM
Yeah, if that happened to me, I'd have thrown that game so hard, there'd be reports of it decapitating someone in China.

lmao. I know exactly what you mean.

Didi Mau
05-08-2010, 07:53 AM

When someone doesn't want to read a wall of text so types "somebody doesn't get laid" (sans proper punctuation), I think that's a fair bit more childish, no? He wasn't being immature at all, he's clearly annoyed to begin with and the person replying was being pathetic.

That really sucks Wolfgg, I don't think I'd ever bring up the motivation to try for that game's achievements again. Top 1% in an online mode you only have some semblance of control over is one hell of a harsh achievement to begin with, props to you for going for it the first time around :p

Shelton
05-08-2010, 08:59 AM
You people amaze me. Coming into a thread to say you didn't read it. Bravo.

The way the game works sounds strange, but kind of interesting. Molding your online character based on the way you play in SP. I do wonder though, whether it is fair. Those who understand the system, could play in such a way that would make their character unbeatable. Or, everybody online would focus on making their character perform the same way, and thus luck would decide who wins.

As for what happened, that really is horrible. Losing so much progress. Have you checked your HDD to see whether the data is completely gone? Perhaps it'll come up as corrupted. If not, you could try moving it to a USB/Memory card. Doubt it would make a difference, but couldn't hurt to give it a try.

Last thing. Normally your online stats are saved on the servers. You could delete your profile and all memory associated with the game, and your stats would still be there. Something must have gone terribly wrong for you to be completely wiped.

Arenazombie
05-08-2010, 11:00 AM
Sounds like a really bad game but that create an online char by doing stuff in SP sounds indeed interesting. Probably some other company should do a decent game doing stuff like that.
Anyway Achievements that require you to reach a top rank on the leaderboards always suck but anyway I don't think developers will do this anymore. It was more a phenomenon when achs where something new and developers kinda experimenting with it.

OMG I GOT SHOT
05-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Thank you for informing me of this potential disaster. Now I'll know never to buy this game.

scud1888
05-08-2010, 11:18 AM

I read the entire thing and I didn't find it at all confusing.To be honest, if he hadn't went into so much detail about the quite intricate way in which the multiplayer character is set up through the single player then the loss of all data wouldn't seem like such a big deal. The way he has outlined it you know he has lost countless hours of his life just because one stupid match couldn't be recorded.

If someone comes into the thread and posts "you don't get enough hole" or "wow read 4 words and gave up" then yes i'd say they were being childish or trying to up their post numbers as it sure as hell doesn't make them look witty or clever.

Sounds like the game is more hassle than its worth wolfgg btw.

Kairi
05-08-2010, 05:59 PM
Oh wow thats horrible! D: I almost bought Kengo but I don't think I am going to now xD

drewmart
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM
That's pretty awful to be honest :(

I got my rank reset in Gears 2, but at least my leaderboard and online stats were still there.

Wolfgg
05-09-2010, 04:34 AM
refreshing to see the mature members of the community come out to comment, I knew they were out their and it reafirms my love for this community(most of them, not the first couple of trolls). What can I say, the games story mode was easy in itself, but I viewed it as a challenge against my gaming abilities, I wanted to show the game that despite the poor controls, questionable multiplayer and AI Trait system and a barage of other issues. I wasn't going to call it quits, its down right rare but their is a chance of success in the games multiplayer, that alone was enough to drive me forward, I doubt I will ever do it again, but it was one hell of a ride...

Pootcrum
05-10-2010, 01:48 AM
I read the whole thing and it made sense to me, and quite well writen considering the usual rubbish we get on these boards.

So to the OP, have you spammed the hell out of the developers inbox yet or what?

Wolfgg
05-10-2010, 04:44 AM
I read the whole thing and it made sense to me, and quite well writen considering the usual rubbish we get on these boards.

So to the OP, have you spammed the hell out of the developers inbox yet or what?

Good question, I have been trying to get in touch with the developer, they have a customer service # that they never seem to answer and seem to take their time responding to voicemails, if I havent heard back by tuesday, I will be taking other steps to reach the developer, rest assure I will update the thread if their is a surprising twist on their response, if and when they finally get back in touch with me.

Wolfgg
05-11-2010, 04:44 PM
OMG this thread deserves a double post if ever their was one, I received an email back today from Majesco and heres a copy and paste. God bless their response.

Hello James,

I read your email and I am very sorry that this has happened to you. This is the first time I am hearing of this particular issue. That being said I would like to send you a copy of our two upcoming Xbox 360 titles. “Attack of the Movies 3D” and “Greg Hastings Paintball”! Attack should hit the shelves next week, and “Greg Hastings” Should be ready in June. Again, I am sorry for this inconvenience that this has caused to you and if you have any questions please email me anytime. Thank You

scud1888
05-11-2010, 04:46 PM
Sounds like some quality titles they cant give aw..are sending you free.

Wolfgg
05-11-2010, 04:49 PM
hey the titles may be questionable but atleast its acknowledgement and compensation for my frustration, besides. I played Greg Hastings paintball on the original xbox and it was pretty decent.

scud1888
05-11-2010, 04:54 PM
True, not many developers/publishers would send you one free game never mind two for a loss of data. Have to say its a result.

Slugger VII
05-11-2010, 05:17 PM
I had never even heard of this game until now. It sounds like a cool concept but the fact that it erased ALL of your progress is a bummer. I would be so upset. Now I know to stay away from the game. Thanks for the post! I loved Greg Hastings on the original xbox. Hopefully this one is just as good!

Wolfgg
05-11-2010, 05:26 PM
I had never even heard of this game until now. It sounds like a cool concept but the fact that it erased ALL of your progress is a bummer. I would be so upset. Now I know to stay away from the game. Thanks for the post! I loved Greg Hastings on the original xbox. Hopefully this one is just as good!

Yea, i hope it is as well. but in closing I want this thread to more than anything reflect positivly on Majesco, they could have simply said something to the effect of "We apologise for the error that occured and said that their Q&A team makes every effort to prevent errors such as this from occuring. and left it at that, but even though they obviously couldn't get my data back this is proper compensation for the time I had invested in the game, for that I applaud them.

nutkar97
05-11-2010, 06:09 PM
nice of them to respond, still a pity about the original problem though.

and very thorough post, nice to see someone going into detail to help people understand the problem

roulex
05-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Yeah, that's an amazing response by a developer--much respect towards Majesco. My apologies for losing your progress though :(

Pootcrum
05-12-2010, 03:31 AM
...that result right there is exactly why it NEVER hurts to complain. Unless its about your girlfriends cooking, that shit starts wars.

Tussell
05-12-2010, 04:03 AM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc54/phale3200/didntreadlol.png

I'm sorry, but is it really worth complaining about a game that came out more than two years ago, and going that in depth about it? If you didn't like it, use it as a coaster, not the topic of an essay.

Wolfgg
05-12-2010, 04:26 AM
http://i213.photobucket.com/albums/cc54/phale3200/didntreadlol.png

I'm sorry, but is it really worth complaining about a game that came out more than two years ago, and going that in depth about it? If you didn't like it, use it as a coaster, not the topic of an essay.

Getting close to 10k posts I see, im glad my thread that the mature adults of X360A consider informative are the majority, since you didn't read it, that means you didn't read how it ended or why Majesco responded the way they did. it's not too late to save yourself from looking like a complete douche bag, im sure if you ask a mod they will delete your post, maybe you can hit that 10k post milestone by contributing something constructive. at the moment you have pretty well walked into the thread and yelled "I'm the dumbest person here!"