PDA

View Full Version : Password Recovery, help please

StephenJ360
05-07-2010, 11:46 PM
Hey, so my cousin can't remember his password linked to his gamertag for his hotmail account, so we're trying to figure out how to recover his password, and we need any ideas anybody can help us out with!

He sent his Xbox out for repair, and they sent him a new xbox, so he needs to do a license transfer, but guess what? Can't do that without ANY information about the account, so please help us out! We've tried the conventional methods of resetting password with security info, but the dumbass doesn't remember who is "best childhood friend" is, so that doesn't help. Knowing him it's probably penis and nuts or something but there are so many different variations of dirty combinations it could be, it locked us out of trying.

Once again, any suggestions are appreciated, but if you tell me to try the "forgot your password" screen, I will virtually punch you in the ballzack.

Any phone numbers we can call here, or what?

IGzxManiiac
05-08-2010, 12:06 AM
Well the only one you can contact is Microsoft I guess, but I doubt they will do anything because your problem lies with the MSN details not Microsoft so the only thing MS could possibly do is add an alternate email for you which would allow you access then you can change the details (I think?) if you can prove it is your account and not an account that has been stolen or something but thats a long shot. I know MSN are unlikely to do anything about it either, so other than contacting Microsoft or MSN you are shit out of luck tbh, your going to have to start a new account. Maybe someone else can help a bit better than me whos actually encountered this problem before, but the last time i remember seeing a thread about this that guy had to create a new email and xbox account so I guess all I can say is good luck. I hope your cousin doesn't have gamerscore as high as yours as otherwise that would be pretty dam retarded if he had to start a new account.

Cardiff1927
05-08-2010, 12:09 AM
Well the only one you can contact is Microsoft I guess, but I doubt they will do anything because your problem lies with the MSN details not Microsoft so the only thing MS could possibly do is add an alternate email for you which would allow you access then you can change the details

MSN is Microsoft isn't it?

IGzxManiiac
05-08-2010, 12:32 AM
LOL facepalm it is then, my bad yeh so your down to just one company then Stephen, even less chance of getting your account back. Try and see if you can get MS to add an alternative email address where you can get the password reset sent to you. But like I said thats all down to if you can prove it is your email account and whether you used real information when you were setting up your account because if you didn't there will be no way of getting it back.

gamerguy69
05-08-2010, 01:48 AM
Was this an active e-mail account or did he create it only for the Xbox membership?

Since he forgot the password, I'm thinking he never regularly checked this e-mail. I believe Hotmail is one of those accounts that gets deactivated if not used within 120 days.

This issue would never come up if you regularly used the e-mail instead of creating a new "throwaway" account that you will eventually just forget about.

Not sure what else MS would be able to do for you. For all we they know, this thread could be re-titled, "Hey, help me figure out how to steal this @hotmail account!" :)

Sorry.

EmporerDragon
05-08-2010, 05:29 AM
Calling Microsoft would be the best solution. If you can prove the account is yours (having a credit card tied to the account would probably help), they should either be able to reset the password for the hotmail address or the address associated with the account.

I'm in a similar situation where my GT is associated with a locked Hotmail account, but I don't concern myself too much about it as it helps prevent people from stealing my account by recovering it to another console. And when my 360 fried, the note on the returned console said to just go through downloaded history and redownload every thing to transfer the licenses.

On a semi-related note, I really hate how you have to choose from a list of drop-down questions for the forgot my password category as if you answer truthfully, anyone who knows you can use that knowledge to access your account and if you answer false, you'll forget the answer after a while. I love the times I can write my own question as it'll always be along the lines of "What is password #2, variant 4?", something I can easily remember while being worthless to everyone else.

gamerguy69
05-08-2010, 07:40 AM
I'm in a similar situation where my GT is associated with a locked Hotmail account, but I don't concern myself too much about it as it helps prevent people from stealing my account by recovering it to another console. And when my 360 fried, the note on the returned console said to just go through downloaded history and redownload every thing to transfer the licenses.

I myself have got the RRoD twice and had different consoles sent back to me as replacements. Even though the piece of paper tells you to ONLY go back and re-download your DLC the transfer of licenses is a whole different issue.

*This is only true if your received a different console (check the serial #) than what you sent in.

You will not be able to use DLC and Arcade games unless you are signed into LIVE. Arcade games revert to trial editions even when on the same profile you purchased from.

EmporerDragon
05-08-2010, 07:48 AM
*This is only true if your received a different console (check the serial #) than what you sent in.

That's probably why I only needed to redownload, as I got my 360 back, I'm guessing it was because it's a Halo 3 edition 360.