PDA

View Full Version : Why do people so dislike 2008 PRINCE?

HorsemanOfWar16
05-09-2010, 09:33 AM
I dont understand why people were so against Prince of Persia(2008)?
- I thought it was a great game, it was a new take on combat, which was individual fighting but you could then focus some crazy shit on them. The Cell Shading I thought was a welcome change as it made the world so vibrant with colour and light.
- couple of things i didn't like i admit it was the fact that you had to run to place to place beating some cool enemies on the way just to spam Y, and all the light seed hunting got veery tiresome, but the fact that the girl el? elika- was there to do co-op moves i thought was great.

I know its going back to the roots of the series but i do hope they come back and make a sequel to that as i thought it was a great game and deserves one. Still looking forward to this new one coming out just getting annoyed how people 1 slates this game to the ground? i dont get it.

Looking foward to Sands Of Time but would like to see a return of 2008Prince.

Rivercurse
05-09-2010, 11:15 AM
I love every PoP game they've made since Sands of Time, including the much maligned Warrior Within.

PoP 2008 was a superb game in my opinion, I don't think Ubi will abandon that particular take on the PoP universe. The whole thing is set up for a sequel fighting Ahriman.

Deadly Moves
05-09-2010, 11:22 AM
I loved the Prince of Persia (2008) For me it was one of the most fun games in the series

DarthSoth
05-11-2010, 08:58 PM
For some reason I like the PoP games that most people Hate. My favorite games in the series are Warrior Within and PoP 08. I loved the cell shading in the 08 game. Such a great look for the game. PoP, Ultimate Spider-Man, Wind Waker and Crackdown all looked outstanding with their Cell Shading. I love that look for some games.

For some reason I'm really on the fence about buying this one though. With this and Alan Wake both coming out on the same day I was thinking about buying one and renting the other. Alan Wake looks great but it looks like another Alone in the Dark, a rental for me so here I am on the fence about buying PoP. I've never been unhappy with a PoP game before but for some reason I just can't commit myself to buying it yet.

BlackRiderRazil
05-13-2010, 12:00 AM
I've never understood the hate either. I absolutely love the '08 version, and will happily (and very readily) throw down cash to get a sequel.

@DarkSoth: I was actually in the same position, with the unfortunate addition of Red dead Redemption as well. I knew I was buying Alan Wake, but between RDR and PoP, I was unsure of what to buy... I lucked out though, got a bonus so I can get all three. Now the hard part is figuring out what to play first!

exo-apollo
05-13-2010, 01:06 PM
I really enjoyed the 2008 game, it was a nice addition to the series. I thought that the score, graphics and overall atmosphere of the game were top notch.

Annalie
05-14-2010, 02:36 PM
I dislike it because it had nothing to do with the original real prince. but i played it anyways. i just hope the brand new one delivers like the previous trio.i mean some stuff in the 2008 POP were ok but not enough to sucker me in im sorry. also it was just boring....

b3nnyth3gr33k
05-14-2010, 02:47 PM
I loved the POP '08 i hope they do make a sequel to it but make it longer;) i completed it in about 8 hours

ViRaLuNdEaD
05-14-2010, 04:12 PM
I actually just finished this up last night and I'd have to say I really enjoyed it. Coming from someone who remembers playing the old side-scrollers from yesteryear, I had a blast. It was a little repetitive at times, but still fun.

shulamm
05-15-2010, 12:38 AM
It was a prince-on-rails. A perpetual quick time event. I didn't feel I was "controlling" the main character. In fact, I don't know why is a PoP: it could be named "Whatever of Wherever" and the result would have been the same. It wasn't fresh air to the saga: it was a whole different title. The only resemblance with a PoP title is the same leitmotiv that shares Mario Bros: save the princess.

Yeah, I liked it. But it wasn't a PoP for me... or a platform game.

Rivercurse
05-15-2010, 08:16 PM
I dislike it because it had nothing to do with the original real prince. but i played it anyways. i just hope the brand new one delivers like the previous trio.i mean some stuff in the 2008 POP were ok but not enough to sucker me in im sorry. also it was just boring....

The "original real" prince is not the prince from the SoT trilogy (or quadrilogy now I guess).

A lot of people use this argument, and I've always found it invalid.

BlackRiderRazil
05-15-2010, 09:04 PM
Damn. you beat me to it River. I always wonder if the people making those arguments know that PoP has been around nearly as long as video games in general.

Annalie
05-16-2010, 03:07 PM
To the both of you i know that POP has been around since the 80's im not some noob who found out about this last night lol, i started playing in 2003 or 2004 so this current prince is the real prince to me thank you very much. i haven't played past games from back in the day so why should i care????? and when i say "The ORIGINAL REAL PRINCE" i wasn't refering to the older prince/princes obviously. just the one from the sands of time, warrior within and the two thrones.

chichan123
05-16-2010, 04:07 PM
I never really heard from any one that they hated 2008 POP. And this thread only proves it.....most of comments says they liked it...

DarthSoth
05-17-2010, 05:13 PM
To the both of you i know that POP has been around since the 80's im not some noob who found out about this last night lol, i started playing in 2003 or 2004 so this current prince is the real prince to me thank you very much. i haven't played past games from back in the day so why should i care????? and when i say "The ORIGINAL REAL PRINCE" i wasn't refering to the older prince/princes obviously. just the one from the sands of time, warrior within and the two thrones.

Whether or not you've played the original PoP trilogy is irrelevant, you still knowingly ignored the first Prince, so don't be so shocked that people are busting you on it here. I mean, how hard is it to have just typed the SoT Prince in stead of "the original real prince" anyway? A bit of a naive point of view.

There are 3 (4 if you count the movie and 6 if you count the graphic novel) different Princes in the Prince of Persia mythos. The first one is from the first trilogy; Prince of Persia, Prince of Persia 2:the Shadow and the Flame, & Prince of Persia 3D. The Second Prince is that of the Sands trilogy (now quadology); Prince of Persia:the Sands of Time, Prince of Persia:the Forgotten Sands, Prince of Persia:Warrior Within, & Prince of Persia:the Two Throwns. And finally the final prince is from Prince of Persia (2008)

Of course you could always muddle things up even more if you choose to include the Shadow Prince, The Sand Wraith, and The Dark Prince. But lets not go there.

HAVOCMAN74
05-17-2010, 05:14 PM
I enjoyed the 2008 version of PoP up until I found out that you had to buy the ending (epilogue). That really pissed me off. It's like reading a really good book with the last few chapters ripped out.

Sakura4600
05-17-2010, 06:39 PM
i loved the 2008 prince of persia, thats why i get so pissed off when people diss it. i loved the graphics, it was different and thats what made it stand out

Spectreshade85
05-17-2010, 10:27 PM
I thought that PoP 08 was just so so. I finished it last night, but there a few gripes I had about it:

*For being a "city" with "people" that Elika would rule over...where were they?
*I never felt like the Prince and Elika had any connection...it was just that they did all this together and sure, the dialogue said they were falling in love...but it just seemed inconsistent.
*IMO, The prince isn't supposed to be so...juvenile, selfish...and worried about possessions, but instead, the greater good. I got SO tired of his witless remarks and jokes that I wanted to shove his face in a pool of battery acid.
*You fight what, maybe 25 or 30 enemies through the entire game, not counting bosses? That just seemed dumb to me.
*It was way too simple to figure out where to go next...it didn't push you to figure out new ways to reach the next area...it was all just jump on the only pole ahead of you and wall-run on the white streak until the next pole you see. That was irritating.

However, I liked the Light Seed searches and fighting the bosses multiple times. But, this prince was not the prince of the SoT trilogy, and shouldn't be associated with the series. I agree, it should be named something completely different.

DarthSoth
05-18-2010, 03:04 PM
I enjoyed the 2008 version of PoP up until I found out that you had to buy the ending (epilogue). That really pissed me off. It's like reading a really good book with the last few chapters ripped out.

The Epilogue was not a must buy in terms of story really. It makes a minor contribution but if you skipped it then it is something that could be summed up in an opening paragraph for the next game. Definitely not a MUST buy if you didn't want to get it though.

However, I liked the Light Seed searches and fighting the bosses multiple times. But, this prince was not the prince of the SoT trilogy, and shouldn't be associated with the series. I agree, it should be named something completely different.

Uh, this prince (the 08 one) is a actually more in line with the original Prince. It was never supposed to be associated with SoT trilogy, this was a new prince. The Original Prince was actually a thief (just like this one) and didn't become a Prince until the second game where he married the Princess of Persia. This game may go that route or may make the new prince and actual Prince that is just escaping his duties and travelling the world on his own like a Prince in disguise living among the people incognito or something like that. Who knows.

JamKaBlam
05-18-2010, 03:16 PM
The best thing about the game was the visuals and the Prince's voice (Nolan North is a legend) but the only major gripe i had was;

Where's the floor? Seriously, where is it? It got a little repetitive having to constantly climb this and jump that because the floor is never there. It doesn't make much sense that the main area is a large and open with earth under your feet but as soon as you leave it's all mysteriously gone. The geometry is baffling.

Copyright
05-18-2010, 06:28 PM
2008 was the best one by far. I didn't really enjoy/like any other one, in fact, I never even finished any other one except 2008.
I wish they had stuck with that formula, rather than changing it.

fivebyfive200
05-18-2010, 06:58 PM
found PoP 2008 disappointing (didn't dislike it or hate it) combat and boss fights was very simplistic. It felt like some of the skill was removed when wall running and jumping (I prefer the rewind game mechanic to princess catching you everytime)

To me, Sands of time was the best POP game

noobie2games
05-18-2010, 11:45 PM
I enjoyed POP 2008, bought the DLC and everything. The art style of the game was nice and I thought the gameplay was fun. The platforming felt just like prince of persia to me but then with a different style with the power plates and also the combat. But to me the story was just alright. And yea I thought it would have made more sense to to do a sequel to that game.
I've played Sands of Time, Warrior Within, Two Thrones, POP Classic on XBL, and POP 2008. Warrior within was a dissapointment to me, they improved the combat but the story seemed like an immature take to make it an M rating. Every other POP I enjoyed and eventually will pick up this one, but I think I am gonna get Red Dead and Alan Wake first. Already got Red Dead just waiting to receive it in the mail. But yea again the reviews are good to ok for Forgotten Sands, but I like the POP gameplay so I am gonna pick this up eventually.

The Champonga
05-19-2010, 12:51 AM
All Prince of Persia games are beast!!!

AngelsDontKill
05-19-2010, 01:32 AM
08 prince of persia is not liked because it was not true to the series, myself as an older prince of perisa fan, (SOT,WW,T2T) felt extremly let down when 08 came out, it was just wayyy to different and had nothing to do with previous story all though i can't say that for sure as i played an hour of the game and then went to back to best buy and traded it in.

DarthSoth
05-19-2010, 02:15 AM
08 prince of persia is not liked because it was not true to the series, myself as an older prince of perisa fan, (SOT,WW,T2T) felt extremly let down when 08 came out, it was just wayyy to different and had nothing to do with previous story all though i can't say that for sure as i played an hour of the game and then went to back to best buy and traded it in.

You really need to brush up on your Prince of Persia history. And playing the 08 game for and hour hardly constitutes a valid opinion on the game and it's story. You hardly touched the story so claiming the game was not true to the series is pretty obtuse.

IS Achilles SI
05-19-2010, 03:38 AM
I thought the 2008 PoP was great game. The graphics in my mind were fantastic and the game play in general was some of the best from that year that I remember.

Spectreshade85
05-19-2010, 12:35 PM
The combat and power plates were really cool, (except the flying part argh!) but I was just most disappointed with the Prince's attitude. I thought that for the end of the world being so close and having to fight an apocalyptic demon, his attitude reflected that he was a high-schooler on a joy ride. IMO, he should have been a little more serious...I loved WW's attitude, it was dark and motivated. 08 just seemed light-hearted, and maybe that's my real gripe, I like the darker games. Just my opinion.

DarthSoth
05-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I really liked the prince's wit in the 08 game. His banter with Elica was excellent. I've put a few hours into this new game and it is pretty good. But I just keep thinking as I'm playing it that I wish they had just put the effort towards the next game in the new series (08). This new one so far feels a little disconnected from the SoT series that it is supposed to be part of. Not saying it is bad or anything, just that is feels to distant from the series and the effort should have gone to continuing the 360 series they started.

crazyea
05-19-2010, 04:38 PM
I really liked 08 a lot. I have played a few of The SOT series and liked them as well. Some times things need to change to keep the series afloat. RE5 for example.

In comparison to this new game, I liked 08 better. It wasnt so linear in what you could do or where you could go. You could just fool around and search for stuff. It also was worth a lot more in game play. This new one was very short. Once you completed an area the door closed and you were done.

I liked The forgotten sands, just not as much as 08.

Did anyone else find TFS very similiar to Soul Reaver in layout?

ChArG1nMaLAZ0R
05-20-2010, 01:28 PM
well personally i didnt like it because

- i had grown accustomed to the sands of time prince
- i felt the platforming was really watered down and clunky
- there were too many empy places
- i missed the time power gameplay
- i found the fighting mechanics boring and easy and uneventfull
- too many collectables
-poor story
- i didn't like the cell shaded graphics. i never have in any games that use them. it just looks awful
-too easy

MakoBallistic
05-21-2010, 08:42 AM
My main reason for disliking it is the fact that hes not actually a prince at all, it should have been called: Vagabond Of Persia.

And if I wanted to play one on one melee combat, id buy Soul Calbur IV again. Compared to the previous PoP's the combat is incredibly uneventful and repetitive as holy hell.

Although its not like i hate it or anything, still enjoyable, just nowhere near as much as the old ones.

tarekegypt
05-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Because...Prince looked like an idiot with his eye partially covered , every-time i see him i say what an idiot, he looks like one! very bad design

WeaselGaming
05-21-2010, 03:43 PM
I loved the 2008 game, I thought the characters, graphics, atmosphere, environment, everything about it was amazing. I loved the peacefullness of the game too, and it was probably one of my favourite Prince of Persia games of all time, and one of my favourite games of all time.

Ellie10
05-21-2010, 07:32 PM
The "prince" was kinduva douchebag. And they never said he was a prince. Hell, they never said who he was. That, and the few, monotonous enemies were my only complaints, and I otherwise enjoyed it. Some of those lightseeds were ridiculously hard to reach too. And what was with the Freddy Krueger glove?

Kooky Cow 32
05-22-2010, 01:59 PM
I'm not going to say I hated it, but it was nowhere near up to par with the Sands Of Time trilogy.
There was way to little fighting, not enough/ not challenging enough puzzles, no rewind time power, can't die, and an annoying "prince" all of which just ruined it.
It was still an ok game, but it was way too repetitive.
Also, I'm not a fan of cell shading. Personally, I love the graphics from the trilogy.

DarthSoth
05-22-2010, 04:44 PM
Cell shading done right is a beautiful gaming experience. Prince of Persia, Crackdown, Ultimate Spider-Man, Zelda:Wind Waker were all games who did a fantastic job by using Cell Shading.
Way back when I used to hate Cell shading too but those games I mentioned above all made me change my mind about it.

wolvieware
05-22-2010, 11:36 PM
I loved the 2008 Prince, except for the bloody black goo enemies! Take them out and it would have been great! The graphics were stunning, and better than this new game, I think, because they actually have some style to them. This is just generic look. Also, it had Nolan North as the voice actor, and he's just awesome.

Ellie10
05-23-2010, 05:54 PM
I really liked Elika's hair, too. I wish I could get mine to do that :(

F Swan
05-27-2010, 01:44 AM
I too loved the 2008 PoP I thought all the wall running around the beautiful levels getting the light seeds was very therapeutic.

Only complaint is the DLC ... some of those achievements were a nightmare, die less than 20 times!

pined5551
05-27-2010, 12:11 PM
I love every PoP game they've made since Sands of Time, including the much maligned Warrior Within.

PoP 2008 was a superb game in my opinion, I don't think Ubi will abandon that particular take on the PoP universe. The whole thing is set up for a sequel fighting Ahriman.

Yeah, i want them to continue the story with that as it hinted. I thought it was a great game. Flowed fell, looked great and was highly entertaining. The light seeds were a bit of a pain but still.