PDA

View Full Version : Is there a possibility of a server shutdown?

Cable Player
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
In your opinion, is there a possibility of a server shutdown?
Now that Modern Warfare 2 has been released, there are only a handful of players online at any time.
Also, there are no online achievements, so could we be looking at a server shutdown in the near future?

Dumbdumbjr
05-09-2010, 04:55 PM
Hopefully. I hate this game.

Cable Player
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Hopefully. I hate this game.

Gosh, can I ask why?
I don't usually hear of people not liking Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

Asian47
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
I don't imagine it being within the foreseeable future. The game is only two and a half years old, and it still has a decent fanbase playing it. I expect it to have another 2-3 years at the very least, or however long the 360 is around.

Cable Player
05-09-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't imagine it being within the foreseeable future. The game is only two and a half years old, and it still has a decent fanbase playing it. I expect it to have another 2-3 years at the very least, or however long the 360 is around.

I agree. I suppose on the new xbox, it will have "Xbox 360 Classics" and Call of Duty 4 will be avaliable to download.
(Although that wouldn't solve server issues)

KNIGHTOFSERA
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
probably not until the next generation of consoles

I mean how many other games with 0 people online at any time and came out before COD4 are still up...a bunch, in the scheme of things COD4 is still popular

Sirboscos
05-10-2010, 12:37 AM
It would be a sad day if they did.

Cable Player
05-10-2010, 06:56 AM
It would be a sad day if they did.

WEll it would certainly hit the main page news reel!

Mikey1610
05-10-2010, 09:42 AM
There's thousands still playing this game.

No chance of shutting them down. Even the servers for COD 2 are still up.

Cable Player
05-10-2010, 11:01 AM
There's thousands still playing this game.

No chance of shutting them down. Even the servers for COD 2 are still up.

But in the near future maybe?

Before Modern Warfare 2, there were easily 70,000 - 100,000 people online. I rarley see more than 3,000 now.

Mikey1610
05-11-2010, 08:18 AM
But in the near future maybe?

Before Modern Warfare 2, there were easily 70,000 - 100,000 people online. I rarley see more than 3,000 now.

Nope not in the near future, in the distant future. 3K is still a fair number.

You'll be lucky to find anybody at all playing COD 2, servers are still up for that.

Unless it's for an unpopular EA game, I wouldn't worry about servers being closed.

Cable Player
05-11-2010, 08:51 AM
Nope not in the near future, in the distant future. 3K is still a fair number.

You'll be lucky to find anybody at all playing COD 2, servers are still up for that.

Unless it's for an unpopular EA game, I wouldn't worry about servers being closed.

I suppose this is the case,
however, that could be argued with the recent closure of the Lord of the Rings Conquest. I do not know how many people were using that game constantly online, but when I got the 1000 :gsicon: on it, it certainly seemed like a lot of dedicated users were on it.
I even played it a few times, after I had got the 1000 :gsicon: because it was quite enjoyable and the multiplayer was not too bad.

a random cat
05-12-2010, 01:30 AM
Very unlikely. The Call of Duty 2 servers are still up, and this game is still popular with 30K people playing it. Unless the population dropped to under 50, then IW might consider shutting down the servers.

Dz06lt
05-12-2010, 01:31 AM
check the facts man there are tons of people playing online at all time, i dunno where you got this handful business

DOOKH8R
05-12-2010, 01:34 AM
Now that Modern Warfare 2 has been released, there are only a handful of players online at any time.
Also, there are no online achievements, so could we be looking at a server shutdown in the near future?

Only a handful? Is that your assessment (read, number you made up) or do you actually have a source?

Cable Player
05-12-2010, 07:39 AM
Only a handful? Is that your assessment (read, number you made up) or do you actually have a source?

Well I don't have a source, but every time I have been on it since MW2 came out there has been less than 4,000/5,000 players online, and there used to be over 100,000 users regularly.

Coxy x360a
05-12-2010, 09:31 PM
Never gonna happen, in the foreseeable future. Think how long Halo 2's servers stayed up. Crikey.

Cable Player
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
Never gonna happen, in the foreseeable future. Think how long Halo 2's servers stayed up. Crikey.

I never really knew about Halo 2. I got my xbox two years ago (yesterday) which means Halo 3 was out for a while before. I remember playing Halo 1 on the PC, but a huge void called "Need for Speed Most Wanted" on the PS2, and 200,000,000 bounty, fills that gap.
How long were the servers up for? I thought that it had only been put onto the marketplace recently (year or so)

JoshYo 16
05-13-2010, 06:59 PM

No. Every old cod I play is still online. Even CoD: Big Red One for ps2 was still online when I played it about 2 months ago.

chelseaman99
05-15-2010, 01:19 PM
Absolutely zero chance. 3,000 people might not be much compared to MW2, but it's still easily in the top 10 most played on Xbox Live, usually top 5.

Cable Player
05-15-2010, 03:46 PM
Absolutely zero chance. 3,000 people might not be much compared to MW2, but it's still easily in the top 10 most played on Xbox Live, usually top 5.

But would those statistics not include the years it was played online? - As apposed to since MW2 was released. I find it hard to believe that CoD4 has been in the top 5 or 10 of the most played games online.

SM Rollinger
05-15-2010, 04:24 PM
No way; COD2 will get shut off before this.

RFT 123
05-17-2010, 10:57 AM
This is pretty strange as, at the time of me posting this, the servers on CoD4 have "crashed". I'm trying to play and when I press A on Find Match, the downloading game settings box appears and doesn't disappear. Many people are having this problem.

Could this be the end?

Cable Player
05-17-2010, 12:11 PM
This is pretty strange as, at the time of me posting this, the servers on CoD4 have "crashed". I'm trying to play and when I press A on Find Match, the downloading game settings box appears and doesn't disappear. Many people are having this problem.

Could this be the end?

I honestly can't see the relevance to the servers crashing, to the servers being shut down/ this thread.

The servers just had a down time...
They should be up again soon. If they were going to shut them off, Microsoft surley would have some rules that require months notice...

Dumbdumbjr
05-17-2010, 12:25 PM
Gosh, can I ask why?
I don't usually hear of people not liking Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare

I hate this game for the reason that a grenade I throw out of a room shouldnt bounce off of nothing and roll back into my room.

Cable Player
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I hate this game for the reason that a grenade I throw out of a room shouldnt bounce off of nothing and roll back into my room.

well no offence, but a lot of the time it's just knowing how to lob the grenade :)
I often get them bouncing off the window frames by accident though, everyone does it :)

PlaneswalkerX
05-17-2010, 01:02 PM

Same for me. :(

I hope its not hacked or something like that.
The leaderboards are already hacked. :(:(

CoD4 :boom MW2
:)

A J
05-17-2010, 01:04 PM
Why would they close down the servers when theres around 30 thousand people still playing every day, Oh i have an idea we are still making money so lets shut down the servers so that we can lose money, Awesome idea ?

Cable Player
05-17-2010, 01:11 PM
Why would they close down the servers when theres around 30 thousand people still playing every day, Oh i have an idea we are still making money so lets shut down the servers so that we can lose money, Awesome idea ?

Have you read the thread?
There are only about 3000 (give or take a couple of thousand) people playing at any time.
And how are they making money by people playing on the servers?

Sirboscos
05-17-2010, 01:36 PM
Same for me. :(

I hope its not hacked or something like that.
The leaderboards are already hacked. :(:(

CoD4 :boom MW2
:)

Same here! :(

Deadly Moves
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
Most likely.. But not for a few years

JMills109
05-18-2010, 03:35 AM
Your figure of 3000 isn't accurate, at least not during peak hours in the U.S.

I played on separate days last week for a few games and there were 20k-30k the entire time.

Also, according to various sources like Gamespot and raptr, its 13th most played game by XBL members (Measuring unique users and hours played last 30 days)

JoshYo 16
05-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Have you read the thread?
There are only about 3000 (give or take a couple of thousand) people playing at any time.
And how are they making money by people playing on the servers?

If modern warfare/modern warfare 2 didn't have multiplayer, activision would be in a world of shit. Their only good source of cash gone? Ha.

Also I don't know when you get online, but every time I am on cod4 there are at least 25k people online.

CoD: Big Red One for ps2 has about 30-50 daily users. Modern warfare definitely won't be shut down with 25k.

Cable Player
05-18-2010, 09:52 AM
[QUOTE=JoshYo 16;3097247] If modern warfare/modern warfare 2 didn't have multiplayer, activision would be in a world of shit. Their only good source of cash gone? Ha. [QUOTE]

you say that as if you are proving a point? You implied in your OP that they get money from people playing on the servers.
Most games are bought pre-owned so the producers do not get any of that money.
If a game is bought brand new they dont even get all of it.
So your telling me that hundreds, if not thousands of people are buying the game every every day... If so, then why are there not that many people online... The loyaltys and bonuses the bosses receive would be more than they make from cod4. HA.

As for the population, well the gamespot charts obviously arnt amde up, and I can honestly say that I have not seen more than 7,000 people at the most online sinse MW2 came out. And I have played at different times, so I guess I picked the right time to see nobody online....

PlaneswalkerX
05-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Nothing new to CoD4 multiplayer? Still not working?

JoshYo 16
05-18-2010, 06:55 PM
you say that as if you are proving a point? You implied in your OP that they get money from people playing on the servers.
Most games are bought pre-owned so the producers do not get any of that money.
If a game is bought brand new they dont even get all of it.
So your telling me that hundreds, if not thousands of people are buying the game every every day... If so, then why are there not that many people online... The loyaltys and bonuses the bosses receive would be more than they make from cod4. HA.

As for the population, well the gamespot charts obviously arnt amde up, and I can honestly say that I have not seen more than 7,000 people at the most online sinse MW2 came out. And I have played at different times, so I guess I picked the right time to see nobody online....

First of all, I didn't imply shit. Look who actually posted that post.

Also, they obviously make money somehow. Otherwise the only cod games that would be online are MW2 and WaW. Seriously, everyone knows Activision are money hungry whores.

You must have picked the right times. I just figured you may be in England or something, so you weren't seeing all the American's online.

RFT 123
05-18-2010, 09:04 PM
CoD4 is back online. Was working from about 9:00am GMT. Had some fun on that today, greatest CoD ever IMO.