PDA

View Full Version : Worst Ultra?

CutmanMike
05-10-2010, 10:27 AM
What do you think, in your own humble opinion, is the most useless ultra?

I'm going with Akuma's Ultra 2. His first ultra can at least catch people falling from jumps, but you have to be VERRY precise with his second one. Sure it hurts a lot, and can be used after a teleport but it's soo hard to hit with. Here's the best example I have of how bad it is:

My friend is an Akuma player and he was using Ultra 2, and for shits and giggles I was Zangief. Anyway I try to grab him and miss, and he uses his ultra. His ultra MISSES completely because Zangief was doing his whole missing grab animation where he slouches over just a little, and then I hilariously use my ultra before he gets chance to recover from his.

Not only that though, but he looks like a retarded Tasmanian devil when he uses it, and ruins his character :(

Deadly Moves
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
Akuma's is pretty bad.. He looks like a retarded Tazmanian Devil. What was Capcom thinking? Its only useful if the enemy is airborne.

But Rose's is even worse. It has to be the worst Ultra/Super ive ever seen.

Guile's new ultra is better than his original, but still pretty bad compared to most.

AcidGlowx81
05-10-2010, 11:09 AM
Fei Long and Cammy's counter Ultras!!! worst ultras EVER! who really uses them anyways?. so damn bad! why did they put them in..

Deadly Moves
05-10-2010, 11:17 AM
Fei Long and Cammy's counter Ultras!!! worst ultras EVER! who really uses them anyways?. so damn bad! why did they put them in..
I admit there not great.. but i have caught a few people out with Cammy's Ultra II. And it does loads of damage.
The thing about the counter ultra's is it all about mind games. if your oponent knows you have it. they should be less likely to throw out pokes or do jump ins, bcos they can be countered so easily. Dhalsim can really strugle against a counter ultra. bcos even if his not in close range you counter one of his stretchy attacks at range, it'll still work ;)

UK Dennis
05-10-2010, 11:31 AM
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak. However out of the new one I'd say Akumas second ultra.

BvH91
05-10-2010, 12:59 PM
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak.

Might I say that Dhalsims first ultra has amazing setup potential.

Anyways, I think Zangief's second ultra looks ridiculous. I also would like to point out that in my opinion Capcom went a bit wee-wee with all the tornado/whirlwind stuff. Every other character now has a whirlwindy ultra.

CutmanMike
05-10-2010, 01:00 PM
Dhalsim's first ultra is still the worst in my opinion, it's incredibally weak. However out of the new one I'd say Akumas second ultra. It's weak but the amount of times he's teleported behind me and screwed me up royally :mad:

Shipley0110
05-10-2010, 02:58 PM
I don't understand what is supposed to happen with Juri's first ultra. The Feng Shui one. Is it meant to do Sweet FA?

M Bison's ( or Vega for those in Japan) one where he plants his fist in their chest looks pretty cool.

Dennoman
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
I don't like the reversal ultras in the sense the opponent is gonna have to be either really stupid to hit you after you activate it, OR your timing has to be insane. I do love both animations: I love how Fei Long pays tribute to the legendary 1 inch punch. :love:

Other than that it'll have to be Akuma 2. I agree with my Dutch speaking brother up here that Zangief 2 looks kinda stupid.

And all non-believers in the devestating potential of Dhalsim's ultras: I'll be more than happy to take u on :evil:

@ Shipley: it makes her combos link together without having to pause. So every combo she does after the Feng Shui Engine activation is basically a target combo.

FeLizP
05-10-2010, 03:29 PM
All this hate over Akuma's Demon Armageddon!

I don't think it's too bad of an Ultra if you Teleport into it.

Just do Forward,Down,Forward PPP and at any time during the Teleport press Up, Up, KKK. May catch a few people off guard especially if they are attacking. ;)

Crimson Death
05-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I understand the concept behind Juri's Feng Shui Combo, but I must suck at combo's because I don't pull off anything different.

Only thing I get is a guaranteed flashy finish lol.

BvH91
05-10-2010, 03:31 PM
It turns Juri into a Marvel vs Capcom character. I didn't steal this line from that xbox inside guy. At all.

Crimson Death
05-10-2010, 03:54 PM
It turns Juri into a Marvel vs Capcom character. I didn't steal this line from that xbox inside guy. At all.

Yeah, I've heard that a few times, but still don't get it lol.

BvH91
05-10-2010, 04:17 PM

I guess you have to have played MvC. It's somewhat chaotic and the combos are easier to pull off. I'm pretty sure that's what is meant by it.

McGraw
05-10-2010, 04:25 PM
If you go an try her trial nr 19 you can see what its for, you dont need to "clear" the 19th if thats a problem, its just a great way of getting a feel of what insane power that ulti acctually has.
(That trial is pretty much actiave ulti -> press the right order not caring about timing due to the ulti making you "fast" ).

To the topic though:
Worst Ultra gotta be the CQC imo, seeing as you either gotta be superfast or play vs someone not paying to much attention and then the other ultra would've worked as well :)

mad4ra
05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
Akuma's is pretty bad.. He looks like a retarded Tazmanian Devil. What was Capcom thinking? Its only useful if the enemy is airborne.

Guile's new ultra is better than his original, but still pretty bad compared to most.

Gouki's Ultra2 is actually really good, because he can Combo into it from st.hp xx teleport xx ultra2

so for hit confirming cr.lk cr.lp st.hp xx teleport xx Ultra2 .. needs a little practice though :9

Rose's new Ultra is really good, this one probably makes her a high tier Character...

Cant say much about Guile, hes alot better in SSFIV regardless of the Ultra Combos..

The Worst Ultra is imho Boxers new Ultra, seriously why use a Command Grab Ultra when you can combo into Ultra 1 all the Time...

neubourn
05-10-2010, 06:11 PM
Worst Ultra to actually land: Dhalisim's 2nd...not only do you have to be in the air, you have to be in a precise range to be able to pull it off.

Worst Ultra damage-wise: Rose's 2nd...completely worthless, i guess they tossed it in to make up for her ridiculous first ultra

Worst Ultra to watch: Chun-li's 2nd...yeah it does alot of damage, but it just keeps going on forever and ever and is just a single sphere of boring.

optics
05-11-2010, 05:37 AM
Makoto, I don't remember which one or maybe both, but I found her Ultras to be really weak.

KingSigy
05-11-2010, 06:32 AM
I love how no one has mentioned Seth's second Ultra, one that has ridiculous start-up time and shoots at an angle, meaning that unless you catch your opponent in the air, there is no use for it. I suppose chip-damage, but even then they can back away before Seth hits the ground.

Skode
05-11-2010, 07:28 AM
The counter attack ultras... just when you need something to sneak you that win you activate it... and... your opponent simply grabs you straight after doing it and seals the win :mad:

Dennoman
05-11-2010, 08:44 AM
I love how no one has mentioned Seth's second Ultra, one that has ridiculous start-up time and shoots at an angle, meaning that unless you catch your opponent in the air, there is no use for it. I suppose chip-damage, but even then they can back away before Seth hits the ground.
Yep lol, even CPU Seth sucks at using it. He pretty much always lands his ultra 1 on me, but I'm always jumping for joy when he has ultra II selected. He ALWAYS whiffs it, ALWAYS.

neubourn
05-11-2010, 09:07 AM

I think if you are standing near him, it will also catch you, i seem to remember getting blasted by it on the ground in arcade mode a few times.

Didi Mau
05-11-2010, 09:12 AM
There's several throw-type ultras that can be evaded simply by holding up AFTER the cinematic begins (Ibuki's first, Guy's second) which to me makes them even less of a punish ultra than Fei's and Cammy's terrible counter ultras, which can at least hit aerials.

From what I've seen so far Rose's new ultra lands quite easily and her first one is a rather solid anti air, they're not half bad. I've always considered Dhalsim's first to be one of the best ultras in the game thanks to its massive range of uses, really surprised to see that got mentioned in here.

optics
05-11-2010, 10:30 AM
I think if you are standing near him, it will also catch you, i seem to remember getting blasted by it on the ground in arcade mode a few times.

Yeah, if you're close enough, it'll suck you in, but if you're blocking about little bit outside sweeping distance, it'll push you back.

SUBJECT BK201
05-13-2010, 02:14 AM

If you think those are the worst ultras, then you are not using those characters correctly.

Akumas new ultra is comboable (though very precise execution is necessary eg: d+fp, ashura senku w/3K>Ultra II) and Rose's new ultra is one of my new favourites for the simple fact that it freezes time. That allows it to be used in a silly amount of ways eg: Soul Throw crossups, anti-air, tacking on extra damage after Aura soul slew in the corner, post FA combos or post jump in fp.
The damage can also be slightly increased on the first orb if you can absorb enough projectiles. Its a hugely useful defensive/offensive tool when used correctly.

Try seeing what some attacks are good for before you write them off like that, because a raging demon is useless against a player that does not commit to an attack.

Worst Ultra to actually land: Dhalisim's 2nd...not only do you have to be in the air, you have to be in a precise range to be able to pull it off.

Worst Ultra damage-wise: Rose's 2nd...completely worthless, i guess they tossed it in to make up for her ridiculous first ultra.

Yoga Shangri-la isnt actually that hard to land, if you go looking for it in an offensive sense then yes, you will fail a majority of the time but couple it with empty-jumping/low floor teleporting against projectile throwers and you have a bargaining tool that means your opponent cannot chase you down and/or abuse projectiles for fear of being telegraphed. You'd be suprised at how much people slow down when they realise their options.

As for Soul Satellite, its roughly the equivalent of landing 2 hard punches on a counter hit (roughly 120 dmg per orb), if her ultra did regular damage like most standard damage ratings then her Ultra-II would be God-Tier checkmate business.
Imagine getting caught in the corner by a L3 FA for her to dash-in, Ultra-II, df+mk slide, d+fp>soul reflect w/fp, Soul Throw. As that stands thats around 42% damage.. and not a lot of "hits" either, so if she did equal damage to most peoples ultras, that combo would do close to 65%-70% easy with hardly ANY damage scaling because the combo count is low.

I like how they thought about the ultra's this time around, because you can't use the same one vs everybody, it just doesnt work that way. Try beating a solid Dhalsim with Cody's Ultra-I and you will call it bullshit, switch to Ultra-II while keeping certain things in mind and the match goes MUCH more smoothly when you can prevent Dhalsim from running away from you.

Strategy is key friend :)

TheGlow
05-15-2010, 02:32 PM
I like how people are bad mouthing the ultras a lot of the hardkore players are claiming are great.
Namely Rose and Seths 2nd ultras.
research stuff before you bad mouth it.
yes Akumas u2 has some awkward hit properties but it can be comboed into like earlier or just teleport through a fireball and kick em in the mouth

iBeatStuffUp
05-15-2010, 02:50 PM
In all honesty, I think Akuma's second ultra is infinitely better than his first. But then again, that's just me.

Zee
05-15-2010, 09:11 PM
The worst has to be the counter ultras. I was looking forward to having a much better ultra for Fei Long , as his first can actually knock people out of the ultra, allowing them to block or hit you after he first punch. I was really pissed off once I used it for the first time. :(

Perrsun
05-16-2010, 03:16 AM
YouTube- Fei Long's Ultra 2 (Counter Ultra) SUCKS!!!

Kaiyo
05-16-2010, 03:35 AM
Gotta be Fei Long's 2nd Ultra.

Zee
05-16-2010, 03:47 AM
^ thanks for proving my point :(
(I'm sad because I play Fei Long)

bs000
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
An ultra that can be hit confirmed and comboed into with no super meter is the worst ultra in the game?

YouTube- Demon Armageddon Setups

YouTube- Come at me from whatever direction you like EXCEPT THAT ONE!

jeffy x360a
05-16-2010, 05:20 PM
akumas ultra2 is pretty dumb. kens u2 is weak also cause its so easy to dodge. and i think worse is balrogs u2 its pretty useless and doesnt do a lot of damage.

since i love blanka im so happy he got his anti air and ground. nothing like watching a ryu throw his metsu and i anti ground and the fireball just goes right through me :)

UltraMagnus1780
05-16-2010, 09:04 PM
WAIT a SEC.....!!!! did Cammy actually do her COUNTER ULTRA and it hit FEI-LONG during his COUNTER ULTRA??!!! WTF???!!!! Fei-Long has the worst Ultra, hands down.....

Reox8888
05-17-2010, 04:03 AM
I can't believe this thread is still going, the worst ultras in the game are the counter ultras and dirty bull.

xOtavolx
05-17-2010, 05:05 AM
Makoto, I don't remember which one or maybe both, but I found her Ultras to be really weak.
Makoto's first ultra is easily combo'd and has potential to take half of your health. Don't underestimate it.
Her second can be combo'd off of when it finishes, and it has three ranges, and is VERY fast, so once again, don't bash it, you may find it being used on you soon when people begin to realize that Makoto is actually a really good character.

Crazy start up aside, it has vacuum and a crazy hitbox, so it isn't as bad as say the counter ultras or Akuma's beyblade ultra (yes, BEYBLADE... he even mouths the words 'let it rip' if you have it muted).

Dennoman
05-17-2010, 09:33 AM
I main Balrog, and Dirty Bull isn't completely useless, though I do agree the amount of damage it does is ridiculously low. Almost every single character in the game has two ultras that do identical amounts of damage, then why does Balrog have one strong and one weak ultra? I can land it pretty much every time because most people don't expect a grab coming from Balrog, but it's so fucking lame that it barely does any damage.

But it looks soooo sweet if your opponent's health is low enough that you can actually finish him with it :p

Thought you were gonna win huh? WELL CLOCK UR LIGHTS OUT!

And wth are ppl thinking ripping on Makoto's ultra I? :s It's really strong if you have full revenge going.

CutmanMike
05-17-2010, 10:04 AM
An ultra that can be hit confirmed and comboed into with no super meter is the worst ultra in the game?

Even if I managed to pull that off I'd feel no joy after seeing Akuma turn into a retarded tazmanian devil and eat his necklace (Try it with his new costume, you'll see what I mean).

Deadly Moves
05-17-2010, 11:45 AM
Even if I managed to pull that off I'd feel no joy after seeing Akuma turn into a retarded tazmanian devil and eat his necklace (Try it with his new costume, you'll see what I mean).
Yeah i noticed that he's chowing down on one of his beads the other day. Everything about that ultra's animation just looks retarded, and doesnt suit Akuma in anyway.

Reox8888
05-17-2010, 04:16 PM
I main Balrog, and Dirty Bull isn't completely useless, though I do agree the amount of damage it does is ridiculously low. Almost every single character in the game has two ultras that do identical amounts of damage, then why does Balrog have one strong and one weak ultra? I can land it pretty much every time because most people don't expect a grab coming from Balrog, but it's so fucking lame that it barely does any damage.

But it looks soooo sweet if your opponent's health is low enough that you can actually finish him with it :p

Thought you were gonna win huh? WELL CLOCK UR LIGHTS OUT!

And wth are ppl thinking ripping on Makoto's ultra I? :s It's really strong if you have full revenge going.

It's not about the damage, it does great stun instead. I like Dirty Bull's animation and I wanted it to be at least partially usable in a competitive environment, but it just sucks.

Reasons why: No range, you can jump out of it on sight like the new characters double half circle command grab ultras (Other 720 ultras cannot be jumped out of after the freeze: Zangief, T.Hawk, Hakan, Honda) or Akuma's ultra demon, it's a 720 the trouble of the motion isn't worth the effort when it has the same properties as Guy and Ibuki's easier grab ultras.

SUBJECT BK201
05-17-2010, 05:42 PM
Almost every single character in the game has two ultras that do identical amounts of damage, then why does Balrog have one strong and one weak ultra? I can land it pretty much every time because most people don't expect a grab coming from Balrog, but it's so fucking lame that it barely does any damage.

Application is the key here, Its a 720 to execute, you CAN jump away from it on reaction BUT you cannot do anything about it if you already committed to even the simplest jab. 300 Damage and upto 750 stun.. add a coulpe of hits on top of that and thats an instant dizzy.. using 4 EX bars (dash upper c.lp c.lk etc) can yield 850 stun.. one FA on counter and the U2 can = instant dizzy.. think carefully about that in conjunction with the kind of aggressive characters Rog has to deal with. Id rather take U2 into a fight with Makoto than U1..

Reox8888
05-17-2010, 07:38 PM
Application is the key here, Its a 720 to execute, you CAN jump away from it on reaction BUT you cannot do anything about it if you already committed to even the simplest jab. 300 Damage and upto 750 stun.. add a coulpe of hits on top of that and thats an instant dizzy.. using 4 EX bars (dash upper c.lp c.lk etc) can yield 850 stun.. one FA on counter and the U2 can = instant dizzy.. think carefully about that in conjunction with the kind of aggressive characters Rog has to deal with. Id rather take U2 into a fight with Makoto than U1..
Again application is key. Hoping your opponent presses a button right when you whip out your dirty bull or counter ultra is just like any other character using any other ultra without thought because you're desperate. That's gambling and against strong comp it rarely works and you usually lose half your life for it which is also why moves designed for only defensive purposes rarely see use because the risk is no where near the reward.

All that aside the set ups for Rogs U2 are all gimmicky garbage and not worth chancing it especially compared to his U1 which nets extra damage off of a bread and butter and sends your opponent directly to the corner where you'll probably get more damage from your positioning. U2 however puts you into a cat and mouse game where Rog tries to finish of his stun damage while the other guy runs away till it heals (Boxer's defensive poke game is awesome U2 does not create a good situation for him to abuse).

conel33
05-31-2010, 11:43 AM
Counter ultras are by far the worst ultras in the game. Fei long gets screwed over becuase his ultra 1 is also terrible.

UCB Disco
05-31-2010, 01:14 PM
Counter ultras are by far the worst ultras in the game. Fei long gets screwed over becuase his ultra 1 is also terrible.

Definitely have to agree with this one. These type of Ultras only get pulled off against people who have never played this game before. If I see a Cammy with CQC in my next match, I just know not to attack directly when she does it. It's the easiest to avoid, especially with certain characters, like all the Hadouken ones.

Also, other ones that bother me are the Ultras that look almost identical to a normal move or Super Combo. There are actually quite a few of them, but E. Honda is one of the most disappointing. The Flying Headbutt, Super Killer Head Ram, and Ultimate Killer Head Ram are all basically the same move with added glee. Couldn't there be a little more creativity in some of the characters pseudo-finishers? Look at Gouki (Akuma). He has a REALLY cool Ultra Combo, because it's different. I only wish some of the other characters were like this.

conel33
05-31-2010, 06:12 PM
Did someone actually say that Makoto has bad ultras?

D.A.N.
05-31-2010, 10:45 PM
This is exactly what I would say. Any sub-par player will eventually adapt and know what not to do when you have a counter-Ultra. Not only that, but those are the last two kinds of Ultras both those characters would need. Cammy should have gotten something to combo into reliably and Fei Long could have done with a grab or something more punishing for fireballs.

UltraMagnus1780
06-01-2010, 04:27 AM
This is exactly what I would say. Any sub-par player will eventually adapt and know what not to do when you have a counter-Ultra. Not only that, but those are the last two kinds of Ultras both those characters would need. Cammy should have gotten something to combo into reliably and Fei Long could have done with a grab or something more punishing for fireballs.

I just wanna know why Cammys Counter Ultra will work on Fei Longs Counter Ultra???

TheMaster328
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I just managed to grab Zangief out of his U1 with T.Hawk's Super! Just thought I'd let you guys know that...

minh2
06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
I just managed to grab Zangief out of his U1 with T.Hawk's Super! Just thought I'd let you guys know that...

in grab ultras/super, the 2nd to perform the ultra/super will have priority regardless of the ultra/super's frame or priority or whatever

you just gotta do the input immediatly after the ultra/super is activated

(correct me if there is an exception)

BottledChi
06-03-2010, 10:00 PM
Whoever said Makoto has bad ultras should just go lay down for a while. As for Gouki's ROFLCOPTER, well it has SOME setup value, and does tasty damage, but it looks ridiculous (until he penetrates the victim ;D) and is easy to dodge generally. I mean if you aren't doin much and they throw it out from desperation or while you're on the attack, just crouch and everything will be dandy.

CPT_Pequet
06-04-2010, 06:57 AM
i wish balrogs 2nd ultra did more damage. its a sweet command grab, and even with a full ultra meter it takes off nada...

Birdassasin
06-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Akuma's 1st Ultra. Also Makoto's 1st Ultra is annoying, you have to like shove your face in front of enemy's face to hit with it. Otherwise, it's good, chops off a nice block of health bar.

Kony
06-06-2010, 02:14 AM

Are you talking about her U2? If so, you're not using it right.

It can be used if you're being pressured and to make them fall back or you can actually use it to pull off some devastating combos.

I use Rose and her U2 is great.

Worst would have to be the counter-Ultras. Unless you're playing an idiot, nobody is going to jump into your Cammy or Fei Long U2.

Reox8888
06-06-2010, 09:35 AM
Are you talking about her U2? If so, you're not using it right.

It can be used if you're being pressured and to make them fall back or you can actually use it to pull off some devastating combos.

I use Rose and her U2 is great.

Worst would have to be the counter-Ultras. Unless you're playing an idiot, nobody is going to jump into your Cammy or Fei Long U2.
Did you know that Akuma's demoncopter has its own special scaling? If you use it to cancel a teleport the ultra does 100 less damage period. No percentage based scaling determined by number of hits in combo... asura senku-->U2= -100 Damage. So even though that ultra can be hit confirmed its still not very good, but still better than dirty bull and counter ultras.

UltraMagnus1780
06-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Guiles first Ultra is WAAYYY better than his new one. That Sonic Hurricane is crap. People just like it cause the command input is easier....

Spawnus
06-06-2010, 03:33 PM
What I wish they had done for Akuma's 2nd Ultra what the move he does in Street Fighter 3 the "Kongō Kokuretsu Zan" also known as the Raging Storm.

Frostylongcat
06-06-2010, 05:55 PM
Seriously, I don't understand why people think the counter ultras are so bad. They really give Fei Long an advantage in tons of bad matchups. Think like Fei / Vega or Fei / Bison, when you have your counter ultra on, it's tough for them to spam headstomps or wall jumps without fear of being caught. People only give it a bad rap because it's an ultra that actually requires skill, you can't just mash out a reversal DP and FADC into it. Or do a basic l.p, l.p, l.p, l.p, l.k, h.headbutt, ultra. I also love how people make these videos showing all the ways it loses (which I agree that it SHOULD beat those moves), but all they're showing is armor-break moves. Any good Fei Long knows it loses to armor break moves.

danksch
06-07-2010, 12:50 AM
Akuma's 1st Ultra.

:biglaugh

Made ma day.

MadVirus
06-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Cammy u2, Lei u2 and Akuma u2

Don Pedro X
06-16-2010, 06:37 PM
Definatly Rose Satalite Ultra, pure rubbish