PDA

View Full Version : Putting...

CoolioDude
04-01-2007, 01:29 PM
I just got the game last night, and i have absolutely no clue how to putt. Could someone tell me? Thanks.

Waaaaaaaak
04-01-2007, 02:17 PM
You should put the ideal putt camera on in the options menu, if it's your first time playing the game. Then, when on the green, pressing A will show you where to aim. All you have to do next is judge the power. This will take some practice, as it's especially hard this year.

I find that 1+1/2 squares = about 1ft of elevation (maybe some one else has a more accurate calculation).

Say your putt is 4inches uphill, move your marker about half a square past the hole and have a look what percentage you need to hit on that particular putter (on the right). If it says 60%, then push your stick forward after a backswing of 60%. (you can slowly adjust your power as you take your shot - it does not need be one continous swing).

Then practice practice practice.....

Aprosa
04-02-2007, 10:42 AM
They made it alot harder as on the first xbox yes...

Minty
04-02-2007, 11:10 AM
Yeah, the putting is a hell of a lot harder on this game. Never seenso many putts stop on the edge and not drop- probably the most annoying feature of the game TBH.

ALways aim to hit about a foot past the hole as well.

And like Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaak said, practise all the time. If you play multiplayer online, its what will win you games

exorr
04-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Just play for awhile, you'll get the hang of it. I sucked at first too, but now I constantly one putt almost every hole no matter where I land on the green.

rhyyno
04-02-2007, 05:56 PM
Another rule of thumb that works well is to add or subtract 1 foot of distance for every 1 inch of elevation change. So if you have a 30 foot putt that is one foot above you, putt it as a 40 foot putt (actually 41 foot putt, using Minty's advice too).

Likewise, do not trust the way the game sets the putt up for you. Meaning, you may be 15 feet away but it is 1 foot below you (i.e., 5' putt), so it may set it up as a 20 foot putt.

And, don't forget to us the right-stick to add or remove 3-4 feet of distance, which really helps when you have a odd distance putt, like 13 feet. You can set it up as a 10 foot putt, but then add "forward spin" to get the extra distance, instead of setting it up as a 20 foot putt.

duffy 91
04-12-2007, 12:09 PM
I picked this up a few days ago and it's driving me insane. Putting is so difficult in this game compared to 06. Every time I putt it goes around the edge of the hole and out. Also I hate the new circle when aiming :mad:

Elitequirky
04-14-2007, 10:40 PM
It's also rigged. I have 110% on everything.

On Easy. Doing the prince 2 on southern Major. I am 3 Points in the lead at the start of third day. Now whenever i putt. 8-10 out of the 18 holes ends up between 2-3 inch away from the cup and funk is virtually eagling every hole. What the fuck is going on. It is getting on my nerves

Zef
04-14-2007, 11:01 PM
It's also rigged. I have 110% on everything.

On Easy. Doing the prince 2 on southern Major. I am 3 Points in the lead at the start of third day. Now whenever i putt. 8-10 out of the 18 holes ends up between 2-3 inch away from the cup and funk is virtually eagling every hole. What the fuck is going on. It is getting on my nerves

The computer loves to cheat in this version of the game, you just need to learn how to piss it off so it can't.

If you are finding putting difficult I suggest two things. Practise and avoidance.

Practising will help you figure out what sorts of things you are looking for in a putt without needing the ideal putt camera (although it still helps to use it). Since the online tourneys don't use the ideal putt cam then you will need to have some idea of how to free putt anyway. Just start some play now matches and try putting without using the camera. Turn mulligans on so you can repeat putts and get it right. You could also use the driving range and just practise putting on there, the longer you practise the easier you will find it.

But you need not hassle so much if you can avoid dodgy putts in the first place. Approach shots can save crappy putts if you get them close to the pin, often this will save your hair line and can be an easy way to a birdie or even an eagle. Again it is down to practise, but since the conditions will always affect the approach shot it is more difficult to get it perfect. The driving range might be your best bet here, just aim for the greens using different clubs and shot types. But going onto the actual courses will benefit you the most. Knowing where to aim your drive on longer holes to set up a decent approach is vital.

Minty
04-14-2007, 11:12 PM
Yeah, the best advice I have for Tiger is learn the courses. You will learn where you want to place your drive for the best approach shot. Sometimes you will be better hitting an iron off the tee rather than a wood as will give you a better approach shot.

Learn your short irons- by that I mean the distant. You need to know your lob wedge will do x yards, while your sand wedge will do y.

The more you play the greens, the more you will learn the flag positions. You will learn that sometimes you want to be past the flag, sometimes in front, or which side to leave yourself the better putt.

People arent joking when they say it comes down to practise lol