PDA

View Full Version : Did South Park REALLY do that much damage to Family Guy's ego?

ApochWeiss
05-11-2010, 05:43 AM
So, I quit watching Family Guy for a while, not because I wanted to but because I didn't have the time with work and everything. I only got back into it when they advertised hulu so now I catch up on it when I'm at work the next day. Well I just saw the other night's episode and it really had me thinking. From the episodes I've seen of seasons AFTER the South Park 2 parter about Family Guy, it seems that all of Seth McFarland's shows, Family Guy in particular, really changed themselves. There's no random joke scenes anymore, it's all just a straight forward television show that follows a plot and barely ever strays from it, not even for a random chicken man fight!

Don't get me wrong, I like it a lot. But I miss the random ass clips like the one where Peter forgets how to sit down. Sometimes they rock and make the show. However the mother's day episode really needed to be a linear episode with no side gags, and it worked out very well. However, at the same time I noticed that some of the stories have become a bit more far fetched and some gags seem to go more for a shock value then a good old laugh value.

Could Trey and Matt of South Park really have taken Family Guy down a couple of notches and caused this transition in story telling? I mean, it all happened the next season after that episode and it just feels like it was a natural progression up to this point.

Thoughts?

StolenPaper18
05-11-2010, 05:49 AM
Wow, I hadn't really put two and two together until you just explained it. But, now it does make a lot of sense and I think you are right. I thought there was something different about Family Guy.

Edit: I must say, I do throughly enjoy their completely random scenes. Like the one were Peter farts for the first time or when Brian farts himself awake, lol.

DOOKH8R
05-11-2010, 05:52 AM
I don't think that there is any correlation between the South Park slam episodes and any perceived decline in quality in Family Guy.
However, this Sunday's episode was by far the worst episode yet. No flashbacks or esoteric references.
Plus, without Cleveland, its just not the same.

A ZombieTwinkie
05-11-2010, 06:22 AM
Hell, I didn't really think any of it. Not big on watching South Park, anyway. But if that's the case, it seems kind of weak just to tone something down because of a little 'rivalry' or whatever.

Though I do agree with DOOKH8R, the mothers day episode was rather bleak. I did enjoy the random and obscure scenes that they do. Hitler riding an unicycle. The chicken fights.

McGoogles
05-11-2010, 06:41 AM
YouTube- South Park disses Family Guy

Nuff' said.

I do believe that South Park has made a major effect on Family Guy's writing. I haven't seen much flashbacks in their episodes lately, they used to do those gags all the time. But hey, some of them were stupid as hell and were irrelevant to the plot. I am also watching a new episode of Family Guy right now as we speak and haven't seen one flashback.

xtye
05-11-2010, 06:45 AM
Well if you call this staying on plot the whole time....xD!

YouTube- Peter sucks his fart back in

Herr Shaun
05-11-2010, 07:09 AM
I think Family Guy was great before it was cancelled, and when it came back, just got progressively more stupid and less funny as time went on. It was clever once, and now it's just another cartoon with the message "oooh, look at how edgy we are". For example, I enjoyed Brian way more when he was the well-read voice of reason than the leftard douche he is now.

I don't think South Park had much, if anything to do with it.

Capn Doug
05-11-2010, 07:10 AM
I have not watched Family guy much in the last year. When it was first on, it really did the randomness well. So much so that the Simpsons actually dropped quite a bit of their randomness, though in some senses the show out grew it. At any rate, when it was cancelled and brought back, they used the randomness, but in a different way. It seemed more like they were poking fun at themselves and the way the show was before hand. This is probably why some of the more random characters like the chicken man or the greased up deaf guy made more appearances.

However, it seems as though the time constraints of writing three shows has really gotten to Seth McFarlane. He no longer has those intelligent random interludes in any show, though I confess, I gave up on the Cleveland Show after about 4 episodes. It is all about one idea, instead of fitting every idea into one episode, since the ideas are spread so thin. In fact, since Fox brought it back, the randomness is confined to more "gross out" humour, almost like McFarlane is daring Fox to fire him again. Clearly they can't do that since they made such a big thing about him returning with American Dad and Family Guy that they would look foolish if they actually did fire him again.

I haven't seen that particular episode of South Park, but I suspect it has more to do with the dilution of talent than anything.

And by the way, just mentioning that this probably belongs in the TV section, not the general 360 section, but that's just my take.

jtr1gg3r
05-11-2010, 09:02 AM
I havent really noticed anything =/

still funny

milsorgen
05-11-2010, 06:13 PM
TV shows are the product of many people and tend to evolve over time as the creators refine their view of the characters and the show itself as well as the revolving writers door.

Of course the show is going to change but that being due to a show on cable I highly doubt.

Burning Karma
05-11-2010, 06:41 PM
I think the problem with Family Guy is that Seth is stretching himself too much. He has three shows on Fox's Sunday night and it really should only be one, IMO. American Dad isn't funny to me and I don't even want to watch The Cleveland Show. Cleveland should be on FG, not his own show. That said, I don't think South Park had any effect on the writers.

Also, isn't this in the wrong section? Should this be in TV, Apoch? :p

scud1888
05-11-2010, 06:57 PM
I think the problem with Family Guy is that Seth is stretching himself too much. He has three shows on Fox's Sunday night and it really should only be one, IMO. American Dad isn't funny to me and I don't even want to watch The Cleveland Show. Cleveland should be on FG, not his own show. That said, I don't think South Park had any effect on the writers.

Also, isn't this in the wrong section? Should this be in TV, Apoch? :p

Funny, as I prefer both American Dad and the Cleveland show to more recent Family Guy.

Lava Tonsil
05-11-2010, 07:01 PM
Didn't even know that South park did some dissing of Family guy, but i'll definitely check it out now! Anyone know the episode name?
I agree with the comments that it's had the creativity stretched by them doing the other shows too. Judging by the quality of the Cleveland show i'd say it can't be taking that much away though! I've seen half an episode - and that's all i could manage.

HarperBird
05-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Funny, as I prefer both American Dad and the Cleveland show to more recent Family Guy.

I have always thought that American Dad was better then Family Guy but tbh Family Guy is not as funny anymore then it use to be in the first 3 seasons!

Starstrukk X360A
05-12-2010, 01:05 PM
I don't think that there is any correlation between the South Park slam episodes and any perceived decline in quality in Family Guy.
However, this Sunday's episode was by far the worst episode yet. No flashbacks or esoteric references.
Plus, without Cleveland, its just not the same.

One of the upcoming episodes involves Cleveland coming back.
I don't know if it's this Sunday or next, though.

Anywho, I never realized this. Compare the older episodes to the more current ones, and, yeah...

Personally I like the change; I've never been that fond of how the show used to be. It just didn't appeal to me all that much.

domn8rdom
05-12-2010, 08:48 PM
I don't think South Park had much, if anything to do with it.

I agree with this. I would blame it on Cleveland leaving and Seth having another show to make jokes for then South Park damaging Family Guy's ego.

Joker0fLife
05-13-2010, 08:10 PM
WAH?! Big Man on Hippocampus is one of the funniest episodes I've seen yet! Especiallly with the guest appearance from The Rock, it was classic and unexpected. I don't think they've toned down much at all imo.

YouTube- Family Guy Dwayne Johnson The Rock simulates sex scene

Herr Shaun
05-14-2010, 01:57 AM
WAH?! Big Man on Hippocampus is one of the funniest episodes I've seen yet! Especiallly with the guest appearance from The Rock, it was classic and unexpected. I don't think they've toned down much at all imo.
Yeah, that cameo wasn't so much funny as it was just like, "Oh look, there's The Rock, how about that." The end of that clip is also why the show has gone to hell, since the humor in that cutaway is similar to the lame humor that they accused Dane Cook of in an earlier episode.