PDA

View Full Version : So Good, but if only there was no hud :(

pined5551
05-15-2010, 06:41 PM
I am totally loving this game so far. I have finally got back to gaming now my exams are over and so have been playing Mass Effect 2 by day, and Alan Wake by night (to keep with the dark, horror style game that it is). But I find the hud is a real mood killer. This would have been able to create such an intense and creepy atmosphere if it wasn't there like a giant red stain on a white shirt. I find it really kills the mood. Dead Space was so good, because of the way they conceeled the hud, it helped make it very scary at times. I feel it could have been the same here if only they'd found a way to hide it. The ammo and weapon info is bearable, but that stupid mission objectives part is such as design flaw. It does not need to be there. If someone is curious as to there mission, they sould simply have made it so that it was at the top of the pause screen like alot of games. But no, not here. Oh well.

I know this is a bit of a small complaint, but it drags what should really be a 10/10 game to an 8/10. I'm very surpissed the developers didnt think of it before to be honest.

catbhoy
05-15-2010, 06:45 PM
could not agree more, dead space created much more atmosphere and pulled you right into the story mainly because there was no hud distractions, missed opportunity here, shame.

Syrette
05-15-2010, 06:53 PM
I know this is a bit of a small complaint, but it drags what should really be a 10/10 game to an 8/10.

Oh please.

You said it yourself, it's a small complaint. For a small complaint to decrease a game's score by 2 is a bit of an exaggeration in surely anyone's book.

N3xus Gam3r
05-15-2010, 07:01 PM
this is'nt dead space 2 it's not a HORROR Only, it's also a Thriller

By the way, how would missions and "where to go" etc. etc. without a hud?
Remember this isnt dead space, we dont have a portable hud with us.

and Remedy is gonna give us more Alan Wake, more detailed updates etc. ;)

in my eyes its still a 10/10 to 9/10 :)

pined5551
05-15-2010, 07:06 PM
Oh please.

You said it yourself, it's a small complaint. For a small complaint to decrease a game's score by 2 is a bit of an exaggeration in surely anyone's book.

It's the little things that make all the diffence i believe.

this is'nt dead space 2 it's not a HORROR Only, it's also a Thriller

By the way, how would missions and "where to go" etc. etc. without a hud?
Remember this isnt dead space, we dont have a portable hud with us.

I wasn't comparing it to Dead Space in any other way, than to say that Dead Space created a better atmosphere because they removed the hud. And i said they could put mission briefs in the pause menu. Alan says what he needs to do in the narrative, so people would know initially from there what they had to do.

N3xus Gam3r
05-15-2010, 07:09 PM
if you seen the trailers and gameplays from 2005 to now
you would have notice the HUD ;)

if you did, then you should have seen it coming :)

IXISHADOW
05-15-2010, 08:07 PM
As someone already stated Alan Wake is a thriller and Dead Space is a horror. Also remember Alan Wake is a 15 and Dead Space is an 18. There are restrictions.

catbhoy
05-15-2010, 08:13 PM
all we are saying is no hud would improve the atmosphere, that's all.

N3xus Gam3r
05-15-2010, 08:15 PM
and all im saying is, that this isnt "Dead Wake" ;)

catbhoy
05-15-2010, 08:18 PM
and all im saying is, that this isnt "Dead Wake" ;)

you are indeed correct :)

N3xus Gam3r
05-15-2010, 08:21 PM
now i remember, if they did that to the game.

then we would probably have some "Alone In The Dark" style going on, and that would suck...

pined5551
05-15-2010, 09:19 PM
all we are saying is no hud would improve the atmosphere, that's all.

I think this is a wasted effort, they simply aren't getting it, lol :p

At least one person understands me though.

As someone already stated Alan Wake is a thriller and Dead Space is a horror. Also remember Alan Wake is a 15 and Dead Space is an 18. There are restrictions.

Hmm, i don't think the BBFC people include in there adult content check list; 'Hud removal'

Quickdraw
05-15-2010, 10:02 PM
removing the hud would make the game look and feel much better atmo wise, i agree, not sure howd they be able to tell ure hp and ammo amounts etc. but considering its still really open already so its not so bad.

wolvieware
05-16-2010, 01:16 AM
I agree with the no hud. They could have at least had it disappear, and then come back at fights. I don't think you'd need it for mission objectives - the game is pretty linear.

Crimson Ridley
05-16-2010, 03:48 AM
Yes, no HUD would add to the atmosphere, and yes, Dead Space had a good way of hiding the HUD, and yes, you would make an absolute shite reviewer. Who asked that question? No one, but I thought I'd add it in.

Knocking 2 points off because of one minor complaint is ridiculous, and not fair at all. Maybe knock it to a 9 at the most, or even keep it as a 10 as it doesn't really hinder the game in any way, it's a personal preference. A review should be professional, and all little niggles should be pointed out, though they shouldn't all factor in to the final score.

Halfang
05-17-2010, 02:00 AM
20% off the review for the HUD? lol.

Reasons to include HUD:
-Reduce frustration, "I got lost in the woods where's the fun".
-Streamlines the pace, doesn't let you effective get too lost.

I agree with the objectives being always there a bit too disturbing, and I'd love the option/whatever of not having HUD at all on nightmare mode. The Real Deal.

Cambo1979
05-17-2010, 11:34 AM
I wish it would vanish too and return in combat, it's not a bad HUD by any means but it can be a bit distracting from the amazing visuals. It's still a classy game at the end of the day so I think I'll get over it.

Lougy
05-17-2010, 11:59 AM
yeah i agree

Ooyah
05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
I didn't feel that the HUD gets in the way too much... can be handy to flick a glance up at the top, especially when surrounded by Taken, and if you are low on batteries. To be honest, I would think it strange if you would knock off two whole points just for that! Still, different things annoy different people...

Maybe developers should start, as standard, having an option which allows the HUD to be completely turned off if so desired. I am sure that some games already do that, or at least allow some HUD customisation.

mrevildoer
05-19-2010, 09:02 AM
The HUD is kinda useful, especially when running around in the woods, but I can definitely see where you're coming from though.

I agree with halfang, I wish you could at least turn it off in Nightmare mode...it's your second trip through the game, you should have at least some idea of where you're going!!

moontsuki
05-19-2010, 11:29 AM
HUD didnt bother me lol I think some people are nitpicking at small things really.

Still a 10/10 for me :)