PDA

View Full Version : EA Sports to charge online play...

Yelll o
05-15-2010, 08:19 PM
you are all aware of this right?? SUCKYY!!!!!!!!!! every new copy will have a redeem code you'll plug in and play online for free... BUT any used EA game you buy (for 2011 and beyond) u will have to pay $10 to play online.. And the same goes for if you RENT any EA game.. the redeem code in the new copies can only be used ONCE.

http://hothardware.com/News/EA-Sport...d-Game-Titles/ (http://hothardware.com/News/EA-Sports-To-Charge-10-For-Online-Play-On-Used-Game-Titles/)

DarkManX
05-23-2010, 06:59 PM
you are all aware of this right?? SUCKYY!!!!!!!!!! every new copy will have a redeem code you'll plug in and play online for free... BUT any used EA game you buy (for 2011 and beyond) u will have to pay $10 to play online.. And the same goes for if you RENT any EA game.. the redeem code in the new copies can only be used ONCE.

http://hothardware.com/News/EA-Sport...d-Game-Titles/ (http://hothardware.com/News/EA-Sports-To-Charge-10-For-Online-Play-On-Used-Game-Titles/)
I think this is really stupid I hear about this a while ago. I mean what are the chances that someone buys the game new and never uses the code to activate online.

chicubs4life
05-27-2010, 10:51 PM
If they feel that we have to pay $10 to be able to play used games, they need to open up the old servers for the older games to make it fare for example nba live 06 so you can get the online achievement if you dont have it.

tiny1980
06-05-2010, 02:38 AM
If u buy u have nothing to worry about u know! I buy almost all the EA Sports Games the only one I dont buy is Tiger Woods.

Upcountrytripod
06-05-2010, 02:49 AM
It would be in microsoft's bes interest to step in and fix this, it will make less people play online in turn making less people need gold memberships :eek: microsoft loses money ?

Tibbs
06-05-2010, 02:49 PM
I don't see why ever EA game have this in the forum and also why would Microsoft fix it? They won't lose money, Ea is also doing it on the ps3. BTW did you hear that ps3 also talking about a online membership.

Yelll o
06-11-2010, 10:19 PM
good.. ps3 needs to start a membership lol im sick of hearing my ps3 friends rub it in my face that they have free online play!

Yelll o
06-11-2010, 10:26 PM
1. call ea (650-628-4322)
2. tell them the code in the box doesnt work
3. take a code from ms points or something and change 1 number/letter
4. they will put you on hold while they try to fix it and then either give you a new code or enable the one you gave them.

this worked for me on skate 3

here's what a guy from the NHL forum said works.. hmmm

LouisvileBurnin
06-14-2010, 06:49 PM
the sad truth is that ea will only make MORE money this way. why do they care if used games sales go up or down? or rents? this will only lead to MORE new game sales and a little extra money from suckers who pay the $10. btw a used copy @ $40 + the $10 fee is still cheaper than buying new. that being said, this is complete bullshit!!

The19MrHockey
06-16-2010, 09:56 AM
If they feel that we have to pay $10 to be able to play used games, they need to open up the old servers for the older games to make it fare for example nba live 06 so you can get the online achievement if you dont have it.

Well, I kinda don't want to pay $10 for 40 G so no thanks... LoL

Unless what you mean is the $10 for all of them then yes. Maybe like one server each for all of the older games.

If that's the case, I would spend $10 for all of them; if not : buying new.

I know games cost about $60 when it comes out but if you wait for 2-4 weeks after it releases (and after all the hype of the game is done and over with), sometimes stores will have sales/promotion deal about the new game(s). I think COD:MW2 was priced to $50 the 3rd week it was out (at least at where I live) cuz the stores were almost sold out from the opening week.

Idk about EA though. might as well wait if you're not in a hurry

ZedChuva
06-16-2010, 10:59 AM
You buy say, Tiger, NCAA and Madden used for $30 each. You now have to pay $10 for EACH game to play online. It's a fucking whining scam. Hate to break it to EA, but renting and used sales have been around since the inception of home consoles. Anything to put a few more dollars in their pockets.

Personally I really don't care. I NEVER play sports game online anyway so it doesn't affect me in the slightest. It does piss me off tho. Companies being all nickle and diming like that.

Isn't this their new policy for ALL their online titles tho? Meaning MOH as well? Again, no big deal really, cause again, I don't care if I get 1000gs, or play online, but that's not the point. Maybe they could sell new games for $10 less, if you opt to not want to play online? LOL! Like they'd do that. Greedy bastards.

So long as it doesn't sign me out of Live when I pop in my used copy of Tiger Woods, I really don't care. I already pay for live, so for them to force me out would be akin to online terrorism.

oo InceptioN oo
06-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I think this is really stupid I hear about this a while ago. I mean what are the chances that someone buys the game new and never uses the code to activate online.

I actually work at a gamestop here in Alabama, and you would actually be suprised how many people don't use their codes. I have bought numerous games from work and gotten codes from them because the people who trade the good multiplayer games in usually get rid of them because they don't have live. Obviously the good thing to do would be to buy the game new, but if you don't feel like dropping 65 on a new game, you can still take your chances and hope for an unused code in pre-owned. But my point is that it actually happens more than you think. =)

KFZ Scrubs
06-16-2010, 09:25 PM
I thought this was only THQ with the whole UFC thing.... man.
I'm still going to buy it used... just won't play it online.
I really don't like this whole crackdown on used games... their money loss must be pretty bad if they're doing this.

Blue Bomber 702
06-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Man, I wish someone would make a football/basketball/soccer/baseball/etc. game where you could automatically update your roster every year on the basis of it

Possibly even charge a few bucks to do it? It would surely save us from the evil corporation that is EA who only wants our money.

BNB82
06-19-2010, 10:47 PM
I agree this is crappy, but I also think stores like Gamestop rip off customers to begin with and need to be put in their place. Gamestop is no different from a pawnshop and they pay horribly for used games. Their entire business model is selling pre-owned games and I can see that as a problem from EA's perspective. If manufacterers could find a way to get paid from these transactions, they wouldn't have a problem with it. Maybe if Gamestop were to negotiate a deal with EA saying they'd give a cut of the profit to them? Very unlikely, but this would fix it. With that said, services like Goozex are good and fair, and its a shame that everyone gets penalized from this. If you're buying a used game because its $5-$10 cheaper than new, even without this BS online code thing, you still should buy the new. Its only a few bucks more and the money is going to the people who made the game, not the pawn shop. Just my opinion.

M - Dizz
06-21-2010, 02:27 PM
i dont think ea can have online achievements now, cause im pretty sure its against the achievement rules to have you pay more to get the 1000.....

but i could be totally wrong, at least this game has no on line ones

Froot Cake
06-21-2010, 08:27 PM
People need to stop their needless bitching and whining. There is nothing you/we can do about it so.........

Dead Space Girl
06-22-2010, 12:54 AM
People need to stop their needless bitching and whining. There is nothing you/we can do about it so.........
And you need to stop coming back to this site after every time you get banned DETHKLOK.

Froot Cake
06-22-2010, 01:27 AM
And you need to stop coming back to this site after every time you get banned DETHKLOK. awwwwwwwwwwwwww whats the matter, am I pissing you off. Or would you rather be pissed on. Some people actually like that

Vicktacular
06-28-2010, 02:03 PM
Isn't the $50 we pay a year for XBL Gold the cost to play online? This is just double charging us. M$ shouldn't let this happen. Hopefully sales plummet for all EA games doing this and next year they wise up to their stupidity.

XxBlueSpade2xX
07-01-2010, 12:02 AM
I would be more pissed if it were for a game like MW2 or Halo. I buy most of the EA Sports games. But, it's still a ridiculous and shamless new way to squeeze a dime.

Sir JL
07-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Maybe this is the reason there are no online achievements for this game???

EJCamacho2008
07-04-2010, 10:08 PM
so dumb that they are charging now

tylrcol
07-09-2010, 10:52 PM
this is so stupid im just not gonna play online now so there now you lost 10 dollars hahaha

JoshCah
07-11-2010, 03:19 PM
stop complaining!!!! buying this game used, will only save you around $5. paying for the online cost $10. which means if you just buy it new you wont have to worry about any of this and will save $5

JoshCah
07-11-2010, 03:21 PM

i agree 100%. most of the people complaining will end up buying it anyway

WarDawg65
07-11-2010, 06:27 PM
just buy the game new then or don't play online.

Harpua191
07-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah, I had to pay to play UFC online(garbage servers taboot) and will most likely pay for online with this when it ships out tomorrow via GF.

Spinoff90
07-13-2010, 01:41 AM
the sad truth is that ea will only make MORE money this way. why do they care if used games sales go up or down? or rents? this will only lead to MORE new game sales and a little extra money from suckers who pay the $10. btw a used copy @ $40 + the $10 fee is still cheaper than buying new. that being said, this is complete bullshit!!

They care because they invest millions into games and don't see a single cent from used sales all so people can be cheap and save $10.

It would be in microsoft's bes interest to step in and fix this, it will make less people play online in turn making less people need gold memberships microsoft loses money ?

Microsoft were the first ones that started doing stuff like this with new copies so good luck with that.

I would be more pissed if it were for a game like MW2 or Halo. I buy most of the EA Sports games. But, it's still a ridiculous and shamless new way to squeeze a dime.

Get used to it. So far EA, Sony and THQ have taken the step to lock out online play. Microsoft and others have done map packs and stuff but this will work much better so all online games will likely eventually end up like this and there is nothing shameless at all about it. It isn't trying to get extra money out of games. It is trying to get some money out of games that they should be getting money out of and not corrupt stores like Gamestop.

this is so stupid im just not gonna play online now so there now you lost 10 dollars hahaha

If you are cheap and buy used they lose everything not just the $10 so your logic fails.

-------------

The only thing worse than piracy is used sales. People can hind behind legality all they want but it screws the developers and publishers all the same as piracy does. And a lot more people buy used than how many people pirate games.

xRogue 5x
07-13-2010, 01:53 AM
This practice is horrible and I hope enough gamers out there speak with their wallets and EA sees a drop in sales.

All you people out there who are trying to stick up for the poor maligned developer need to wake up.

Sure it sucks for them that they get less money but at the same time who are they to say what I can and can't do with a product that I have purchased.

Whats next Ford coming in and saying I can't sell my car after I've purchased it?

If developers would take the time to make decent games then we wouldn't be rushing in to trade them in.

Especially nowadays when for the most part we are shipped broken ass games that maybe if we are lucky they fix with a patch if the outcry is big enough. Or take sections out of the game from the beginning and then sell us the sliced out sections at a later date.

If they don't get their head out of their own ass or our economy doesn't right itself the games industry could be headed for a second collapse like it saw back in the late eighties.

marty da stooge
07-13-2010, 09:09 PM
people, gamestops policy is if you buy a used game u can return it a week later for full refund, so i cant but it new or ill waste all my money! used games are basicly a free rental and thats how i play all 310+ of my games!

LunchBox Legend
07-13-2010, 11:59 PM
This practice is horrible and I hope enough gamers out there speak with their wallets and EA sees a drop in sales.

All you people out there who are trying to stick up for the poor maligned developer need to wake up.

Sure it sucks for them that they get less money but at the same time who are they to say what I can and can't do with a product that I have purchased.

Whats next Ford coming in and saying I can't sell my car after I've purchased it?

If developers would take the time to make decent games then we wouldn't be rushing in to trade them in.

Especially nowadays when for the most part we are shipped broken ass games that maybe if we are lucky they fix with a patch if the outcry is big enough. Or take sections out of the game from the beginning and then sell us the sliced out sections at a later date.

If they don't get their head out of their own ass or our economy doesn't right itself the games industry could be headed for a second collapse like it saw back in the late eighties.

Where you even alive in the late 80's? That was the rise of the gaming industry.

BrutishMuffin
07-14-2010, 12:07 AM
You know, the only difference that GameStop has made from this new initiative is to give less money for the trade in and then sell it used for $45 instead of $55. So even after you buy the $10 code it's still cheaper used. With or without Project $10, it's still cheaper to buy the game used.

JoshCah
07-18-2010, 05:50 PM
You know, the only difference that GameStop has made from this new initiative is to give less money for the trade in and then sell it used for $45 instead of $55. So even after you buy the $10 code it's still cheaper used. With or without Project $10, it's still cheaper to buy the game used.

no they havent, used games are 55$ if the new version sells for $60 so just buy it new

Yelll o
11-07-2010, 03:46 AM
i dont think ea can have online achievements now, cause im pretty sure its against the achievement rules to have you pay more to get the 1000.....

but i could be totally wrong, at least this game has no on line ones

but what about DLC? when you have to pay, and DLC has acheevs u unlock too...or are you just talking in general for 1000g?

Yelll o
11-07-2010, 03:48 AM
Maybe this is the reason there are no online achievements for this game???

good point. same with madden 11, no online acheevs

Beastmaster
12-17-2010, 02:37 AM
I'm a bit up in the air about this issue, on one hand you have to look at it from the publishers perspective.

You have people out there buying used games which give them zero dollars, those same people go play on their servers for free (not technically free, but EA sees no money from that) Atleast this way they can still get some money from people who buy the game used.

On the gamers side, I can see not wanting to spend 60 dollars on a new game every year for what bascially amounts to a roster update (typically NCAA is alot better at changing up the game year after year) Not to mention all the things they already charge for that make recruiting a bit more fun.

I've stopped buying Madden, and only buy NCAA football when it's about 30 bucks, although I love the game, no reason to purchase it when it's newly released anymore.

As for some type of achievement rules, look at Fable 2, they forced you to buy the Pub Games if you wanted to get the full 1000 points.

ghost10221987
07-29-2011, 06:08 AM
As for some type of achievement rules, look at Fable 2, they forced you to buy the Pub Games if you wanted to get the full 1000 points.

No they didn't. I have the full 100% in Fable 2 and I've never touched Pub Games.