PDA

View Full Version : June 6th, 2010: International Day of SLAYER!!!!!!!!! Who's celebrating?

ApochWeiss
05-16-2010, 04:57 AM
SLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, for those out of the "know", it is important to scream Slayer at the top of your lungs so the additional exclamation points at the end are absolutely necessary...

Anyhow, it's almost that time of year, and I was reminded in an e-mail today from a friend that it is almost upon us. Not like I forgot, but it was enough to get me pumped and ready to start celebrating early.

What is the International Day of Slayer you ask?
Well, it is a day for all fans of metal to come together and celebrate this wonderous style of music known as Heavy Metal.

Why is it the International Day of SLAYER then, and not just Heavy Metal?
Because Slayer is one of the most widely known names in Metal. No matter what show you go to, someone always shouts Slayer. No matter what town you live in, someone has crudely depicted the Slayer logo somewhere, whether it be billboard, bathroom stall, or side of a building. Because everyone in the world knows those haunting open chords that ring in the start of Raining Blood. It's a way to bring attention to the holiday, and attempt to make individuals who look down on the style of metal and frown upon it to realize it's more then music: It's a religion.

How can I celebrate the International Day of Slayer?
Blast Slayer as loud as you can, wherever you can. Or any metal in general. The point is to make people realize how unifying Metal is, so by participating through Slayer, it shows unity. If you don't own a Slayer CD, it is highly suggested you pick up Reign In Blood, again, because of the material on it being the most widely known. Blast it at home, from your car, at work, wherever you can. Another way is to call off of work and cite your religious belief of Heavy Metal celebrating it's international holiday, the International Day of Slayer, as the reason, have a cook out, a gathering in a public place, whatever means necessary to convey the message of Metal in general.

I want to learn more and possibly show my support, but don't know how!
Visit www.nationaldayofslayer.org for more information about the roots of the holiday, ways to celebrate, and more! As for showing your support, that's up to you, but all you really have to do is show up and be metal!

I've been a proud supporter since it started on June 6th, 2006 (6.6.06). I have already put in for the day off from work, citing IDoS as a holiday for my beliefs. It's just too bad that this year it falls on a Sunday, as I was looking forward to going to a bar this year and enjoying it properly. I'll be celebrating it with DMF, my best friends, and my best alcohol "friends" (Jager and the Captain, as well as a few others).

Anyone else have plans this Day of Slayer?

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/slayer/national_day_of_slayer_header.jpg

http://www.nationaldayofslayer.org/slayer/national_day_of_slayer_bann.gif
www.nationaldayofslayer.org

vI-Youneek-Iv
05-16-2010, 04:57 AM
Title sounds like something to do with Halo.

ApochWeiss
05-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Title sounds like something to do with Halo.

...this has nothing to do with Halo...

Starstrukk X360A
05-16-2010, 05:14 AM
...this has nothing to do with Halo...

I lol'd.

HALO 4: SLAYER

PLAY AS YOUR FAVORITE SLAYER BAND MEMBER AS THEY FIGHT OFF AGAINST THE COVENANT.

God, just typing that sounds horrible.

I do hope Halo and Slayer never cross paths.

vI-Youneek-Iv
05-16-2010, 05:21 AM
No like.
MLG Announcer says "Alright were back and it's Slayer on so and so map". And I don't catch up with the Death Metal news press so It was kind of misleading to me.

ApochWeiss
05-16-2010, 05:22 AM
I lol'd.

HALO 4: SLAYER

PLAY AS YOUR FAVORITE SLAYER BAND MEMBER AS THEY FIGHT OFF AGAINST THE COVENANT.

God, just typing that sounds horrible.

I do hope Halo and Slayer never cross paths.

...I'm seriously not going there because with the utterance of the whole Halo thing earlier, and voicing my opinion on that game, this thread will become nothing but flaming and wind up locked as it spirals out of total fucking topic haha. I agree with you none the less though, but it would be as interesting as that Kiss film haha

No like.
MLG Announcer says "Alright were back and it's Slayer on so and so map". And I don't catch up with the Death Metal news press so It was kind of misleading to me.

Thank you for admitting you pretty much didn't even read past the damned title. Your honesty is greatly appreciated :D

Starstrukk X360A
05-16-2010, 05:24 AM
...I'm seriously not going there because with the utterance of the whole Halo thing earlier, and voicing my opinion on that game, this thread will become nothing but flaming and wind up locked as it spirals out of total fucking topic haha. I agree with you none the less though, but it would be as interesting as that Kiss film haha

Quite.
Now, let's bring this back on topic, shall we?

I'll definitely voice the name of Slayer.
An amazing band, honestly.

Now I just hope I'll remember. My memory is about as great as a stereotypical blonde. =P

I do admit I don't listen to them enough though. I should probably fix that.

Burning Karma
05-16-2010, 05:58 AM
Two words: Slayer? Meh.

I know it's more heavy metal than just Slayer but still. Slayer? Meh.

ApochWeiss
05-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Quite.
Now, let's bring this back on topic, shall we?

I'll definitely voice the name of Slayer.
An amazing band, honestly.

Now I just hope I'll remember. My memory is about as great as a stereotypical blonde. =P

I do admit I don't listen to them enough though. I should probably fix that.

I have the entire discography, I love 'em. Their live shows are like a boring kick in the ass haha. Seen 'em only four times but still worth it each time. We're probably only gonna play Reign In Blood though when all my buds and I get together. As much as we love Slayer, there's just too much kick ass metal to sit down and only listen to one band. If I had a working car with a working stereo instead of the p.o.s. loaner I'd purposely drive by active funeral homes blasting "God Hates us All" :D

A ZombieTwinkie
05-16-2010, 06:19 AM
First I've ever heard of this. But I'll gladly help celebrate. Then again, I'm constantly blasting Metal from my truck as I'm driving around and when I dont have the kids, I blare it from my stereo as I'm playin games. Gonna have to pull out the Slayer cds now.

Lordvader178
05-16-2010, 11:05 AM
I'm a huge heavy metal fan, but Slayer.....

They are good but all their songs sound the same. Same vocal style in each, same guitar tuning. Pretty mundane.

But if it supports heavy metal, I guess I must.

Coxy x360a
05-16-2010, 01:14 PM
Man, I was thinking there was a day dedicated to a gametype. I hear in a few weeks time its National Capture the Flag Day :p

Thehefferkiller
05-16-2010, 03:22 PM
time to wear my kickass Slayer shirt. I know they are metal, but after listening to what i listen to, Slayer is just fuckin weak. Still, mad respect for the band.

Tussell
05-16-2010, 05:51 PM
Two words: Slayer? Meh.

I know it's more heavy metal than just Slayer but still. Slayer? Meh.
Says the asshole with a Megadeth signature and avatar... :p

ApochWeiss
05-16-2010, 06:10 PM

I just ignored him. seemed like he didn't read the whole thing as to WHY it's slayer...

Trash Man
05-16-2010, 06:25 PM
How the hell can you say all Slayer songs sound the same? And to call them mundane :(

I guess everyone has an preference and I guess the younger kids don't really get Slayer now. I've been listening to them for the last 17 years their songs still make the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end.

Reign in Blood still stands out as an awesome album and maybe it's just be being an old git but it's better than any of the shit out there at the moment :)

I'm in the UK but I will be playing Slayer at full whack :D

Illution
05-16-2010, 08:41 PM
I think Slayer is too angry. They need a hug.

Burning Karma
05-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Hey. It's a Megadeth signature, a Metallica/Megadeth avatar and a Megadeth location. Get it right. :p

I just ignored him. seemed like he didn't read the whole thing as to WHY it's slayer...
I'm sorry, Apoch, what part was that again? Was it this:
Why is it the International Day of SLAYER then, and not just Heavy Metal?
Because Slayer is one of the most widely known names in Metal. No matter what show you go to, someone always shouts Slayer. No matter what town you live in, someone has crudely depicted the Slayer logo somewhere, whether it be billboard, bathroom stall, or side of a building. Because everyone in the world knows those haunting open chords that ring in the start of Raining Blood. It's a way to bring attention to the holiday, and attempt to make individuals who look down on the style of metal and frown upon it to realize it's more then music: It's a religion.
?

Here's my opinion on Slayer: They're alright. Nothing special. There are plenty of bands better than them. However, "Raining Blood" is fucking awesome.

[I've edited this post like 4 times now but anyway...] EDIT: I do also like to randomly yell out Slayer, but that really has nothing to do with the band....if you, Apoch, or any other Slayer fans here want to recommend me some non-religious based Slayer songs to check out, I'd definitely welcome it. I say non-religious because the constant "anti-Christian" stuff grows old. Quickly.

Gorilla Stomper
05-16-2010, 11:51 PM
http://www.educationforcollier.org/images/logos/CountMeIn-3.jpg

However, "Raining Blood" is fucking awesome.

Sigh, just sigh.

ApochWeiss
05-17-2010, 05:00 AM
I'm sorry, Apoch, what part was that again? Was it this: (cites quote)
?

YOU DID READ! :D

Heh, don't worry, was just sarcasm. I know Slayer isn't everyone's cup of tea.

Petturi
05-17-2010, 05:13 AM
Hell yeah, count me in. Probably will play whole discography in order. SLAYER!!!!!!!

Maka
05-17-2010, 05:54 AM
They would pick my birthday to celebrate an average band.

Trash Man
05-17-2010, 06:09 AM
Hell yeah, count me in. Probably will play whole discography in order. SLAYER!!!!!!!

That's what I was planning. I will have to stop to pay my respects as it's the anniversary of D-Day also on that day and that's something that's important to me as well.

Clockwerk0range
05-17-2010, 08:59 AM
They are doing this every year now? I thought this was just special for 6/6/06? Kind of lost its point.

I am a die hard Slayer fan but in all honestly they haven't released a decent album since "Seasons In The Abyss". In my opinion "Show No Mercy" was their masterpiece.

dm master
05-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I shal support this cause because metal is awesome :)

But i think ill be supporting it with a range of bands from Slipknot - Glamour of the Kill.

Raining Blood and Angel of Death will definatly be played though :)

Sampson
05-17-2010, 08:06 PM
I really dislike Slayer and I dislike any metal.

master_shake_350
05-17-2010, 08:44 PM
I think Slayer is too angry. They need a hug.

Lol at this guy.

But in all fairness, I won't be celebrating this I don't care much for the band or Metal but that is my opinion.

Death Metal Jim
05-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Hell Awaits is still in my top ten albums of all time, even after all these years. I'll go to my fucking grave arguing that it's a better album than Reign In Blood.

If you really wanna be metal, to the point of hilarity, than you'll have to play every single Manowar album consecutively on that date ;)

Oh and to the Saiyu dude, i remember them having an album come out with a bunch of hardcore punk covers called Undisputed Attitude. Might wanna check it out, as it was quite different from their usual image. Oh ya, and Killing Fields was a great non-religious song about the vietnam war i believe.

Maybe i'll just make it a Bathory day for me personally. The epic albums will last me all day :)

Noddlez
05-18-2010, 02:12 AM
Hell yeah.

DarkestofFlames
05-18-2010, 04:34 AM
That day will be just like any other day for me. Nothing different. Blasting metal all day, especially in the car. And saluting most of the angry drivers on the street with the horns :rock . Slayer holds a special place in my heart. They helped me realize I'd met my future husband.

ZundayXx
05-18-2010, 06:45 AM
They're making Days for everything these days. Meh, the entire Metal genre has been going down the shitter the past couple of years, including most old bands. But i'll see what i can do.