PDA

View Full Version : For those who have the game?

DarthSoth
05-17-2010, 05:33 PM
How is Alan Wake anyway? Is it worth a purchase or just a rental? How long is it? The game looks great but I'm getting an Alone in the Dark kind of vibe from it, great game but rather short and not much replay. If that is the case then I will just rent it and keep it until I've finished it.

Thanks in advance for responses.

FYC Punker
05-17-2010, 05:59 PM
Thats the way I feel!!!

The game looks just like an Alone In The Dark clone so Iam renting it from Gamefly.

Even though it shipped today I hope it comes tomorrow.

Quickdraw
05-17-2010, 06:03 PM
its split into 6 episodes and these chapters aint short, myself they could have cut each one in half doubling it to 12 sometimes you can feel it goes on abit too long on one episode prolly take you maybe somewhere between 7hrs-12hrs depending on if you explore and collecting bits for achievements.

you cant unlock nightmare untill you complete the game so if you want to do it on the harder mode you gotta unlock it then do it.

ive heard alot of things thing being what alone in the dark should have been afew times, being far better than it, the gfx are amazing and the levels are huge. pycho/survival horror then this is a must get, wether you want to keep it depends on if you want to just play the game through and not bother with achievements or do them aswell, if so you looking at as a guess 15-25+hrs with a guide(thats my guess, maybe more).

they have said there will be dlc for it but never stated the full amount, once im done thisll be the only reason ill pic it back up again.

if you havn't watched bright falls episodes live action pre alan wake videos it might help you make your mind up if you like the looks of it, back story always helps :).

You will prolly also want to replay again just so everything can sink in, its abit crazy figuring it all out.

my suggestion is if you don't like alone in the dark or that type of gameplay either dont get it or keep it as a rental, or you can rent if finish it return it give it some time price will plummet due to it being SP only and rebuy it and keep it, i got the coll ed for the same price as a normal game give it around 6 months and itll be between 25-30 least if not less.

tommies1
05-17-2010, 06:05 PM
9 ish, it's not a game for the simpleminded sane ppl. There are moment's where ammo is rly scarce and moments off pure ammo overdose 'til the point you can't carry anymore. The game is not worth it if you wonę understand it. It takes the most batshit crazy twist 'n turns. Choose wisely...

EDIT:the collictibles are useles :(

Quickdraw
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
9 ish, it's not a game for the simpleminded sane ppl. There are moment's where ammo is rly scarce and moments off pure ammo overdose 'til the point you can't carry anymore. The game is not worth it if you wonę understand it. It takes the most batshit crazy twist 'n turns. Choose wisely...

EDIT:the collictibles are useles :(

yes way too many collectables, they could have just gotten away with manuscript pages tbh and left the coffee alone 206 +tv, radio, and the 25 reading stuff around maps is a little ott

also 3rd option you could give it time b4 buying sp games always plummit fast on preowned or new charts due to their lack of longivity. try the series of bright falls, tis pasted everywhere on youtube, but watch them on the actual site looks better, just type bright falls into google and its the first one link.

its a good hype for the game.

DarthSoth
05-17-2010, 08:11 PM
I may just rent it first and see where it goes, if I like it then I can always pick it up used later then. I have the renters pass so Keeping a game for a week or two to get it all finished isn't an issue. With PoP, RDR, and Alpha Protocal all coming out in the next few weeks I'm sure I will have my gaming hands full until I could find a used copy down the road.

I actually really liked Alone in the Dark. It wasn't a perfect game by any stretch but still an inovative and fun game to play. Just a little short and a one and done type game. I'm a big fan of Survival horror style games. I still own all the Resident Evil games, absolutely loved Eternal Darkness (Silicone Knights NEEDS to make another one of that game), Alone in the Dark, Silent Hill 1+2, Condemned (not so much part 2 though), even Fatal Frame was decent.

Crimson Ridley
05-17-2010, 08:23 PM
I'd say rent it, it's a fantastic game, but once you've finished it, there's no reason to go through again other than for achievements.

It's also pretty short, I rented it on Friday, and I have 860g, just need to beat the game again on Nightmare, which I'm expecting to take a little longer than Normal, but then again, I know exactly where to go, and how to fight smart now. Flares, that's how you fight smart...

So yeah, I'd say rent it now, and if the DLC (Released in July) is anything big, then re-rent it to do that.

N3xus Gam3r
05-17-2010, 08:42 PM
renting wont get you any avatar awards, as its in the LE, but i dont know if you care, also the LE has a book with alot of info on what is going on around there :)

now we talking bright falls, what is the flashlight for in "Alan's Story"?

Quickdraw
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
renting wont get you any avatar awards, as its in the LE, but i dont know if you care, also the LE has a book with alot of info on what is going on around there :)

now we talking bright falls, what is the flashlight for in "Alan's Story"?

yer le i got same price as the reg game which was great with free first dlc so if you can find one of them to buy its a great deal.

i honestly cant tell you just looks like a ordinary light to me.

N3xus Gam3r
05-17-2010, 09:43 PM
QD@ Me to ;)

like the others things in "Alan's Story" the things was grayed, until a episode was out, when it was out, some info was on the things.

The flashlight was supposed to be out when episode 5 was out, but it's still grayed, and no info, i thought it was a free avatar prop, but sadly no.

Quickdraw
05-17-2010, 10:03 PM
QD@ Me to ;)

like the others things in "Alan's Story" the things was grayed, until a episode was out, when it was out, some info was on the things.

The flashlight was supposed to be out when episode 5 was out, but it's still grayed, and no info, i thought it was a free avatar prop, but sadly no.

it might not be active untill 18th has passed, could still be a chance, but might be unlikely.

on topic, give it afew months and let the price drop, providing you have other games to tend to itll save you some money, or rent it, after youve done the story finished tried to udnerstand it ull prolly not wanna see it again.

DarthSoth
05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the insight people. Appreciate it. Now, which to play first tomorrow, Alan Wake or PoP. I can see what I'll be up to on the long weekend. PoP in the day and Alan Wake at night. lol. And I had really wanted to take the Kayak out too. Ha

DarthSoth
05-18-2010, 03:24 PM
Alright, so I've totally flipflopped here now. I'll be buying Alan Wake and renting PoP:TFS. This is panning out to be a 12+ hour game for me and PoP is lookinglike about 7-8 and a one and done playthough. Whatever. this game is sounding great.

oEliteSniper X
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I just didn't like Alone in the Dark's controls and graphics and for me that is a game breaker. I can deal with sub par graphics if the controls are good but if both are bad then I just don't like the game. The controls of Wake are good and the graphics are as well so while I didn't like Alone in the Dark I do like Alan Wake, at least so far.

Sean 94
05-18-2010, 09:12 PM
Definatly buy this one, has one of the best story's i've ever seen in a videogame.

MightyMouseMike
05-18-2010, 09:28 PM
Those who havent got it should go and get Alan Wake. Fun game and worth the money

IVIGAM3RIVI
05-18-2010, 09:47 PM
At First i wasn't sure if this would be worth a buy, but after playing the game for about 5 hours now i know that this game is def worth the buy, it's one of the best games i have played in years. Also to compare this game to Alone in the Dark is just not right at all. That game had awful controls, combat and story, and that is all alan wakes strong points. From what i hear the game is not long but the content that is packed in the game is worth every penny. i wish i would have bought the special edition now that i'm in to this game but i just rented it and i'm very upset that i did. So if your on the fence i hope this helps

DarthSoth
05-18-2010, 09:55 PM
I bought it. Likely won't get to play it until the weekend now but I am looking forward to it. Almost got the LE, but decided to just go with the regular edition. Unless the more money editions are going to offer in-game stuff then I just can't justify the extra cash for them. And no, I don't concider in game commentary and hints as justifiable for that.

Filter x360a
05-18-2010, 10:09 PM
It's worth a purchase for me. I'm just starting chapter 3 and I'm about 5hrs of playtime in. I'm doing all my collecting and sight seeing in this run through. So far, I love it. The story is great, atmosphere and mood are amazing. Controls are put together fairly well and the graphics look amazing.

I'm seriously hooked! I know there won't be much incentive to go through it again after I hit 1k, but with at least 2 batches of DLC on the way (1 free with a purchase!) I think I'll get my moneys worth out of it.

Brady816
05-19-2010, 02:12 AM
Yes the game is great for me!!! Got it at 10:00 and played through till chap 6 i want to keep playing but bed calls me :-(