PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the worst re-make yet?

Death Metal Jim
05-18-2010, 02:46 AM
YouTube- Watch the Official THE KARATE KID Trailer in HD

I'm honestly speechless after seeing this. I thought Hollywood had hit a new low with the Nightmare On Elm Street remake, but this makes that look like an Academy Award winner. I thought the entire point of re-making a movie was to take what was successful from the original and add to it without completely ignoring the origins. I actually don't mind Jackie Chan playing the sensei (even though they changed his freakin name :mad:) but whoever the hell came up with the idea of having Will Smith's son play the Karate Kid must be on some serious drugs. Did they even watch that other awful remake he was in, The Day The Earth Stood Still? :confused:

Anyone else find this completely shameful that they're taking classics from our childhood and just pissing all over them?

KFZ Scrubs
05-18-2010, 03:00 AM
Mainstream my friend....... it's really starting to piss me off. IT's not about making something that's really good.... art..... poetry in motion.... it's making something that people will spend their money to see so they get richer.
I'm surprised that nobody is speaking up over this.... i mean come on!
Hey, let's remake King Kong except he'll be an overweight teenage boy that moved here from Slovenia who's socially awkward in the beginning but then slowly adapts to American society and becomes a hero... ohh yea did i mention there was tits?
Ugghhh, sorry.... i've just been so pissed off lately with crap they've been releasing into theaters..... and then you bring up the remakes..... and the Karate kid... pisses me off so much.
Another person who was wrongfully cast for the movie.
IMO.... he was only cast because of 2 reasons.
1. He's Will Smith's son and casting him in his own movie will bring some more money in than any other person would.
2. Daddy paid them off.
I mean seriously.... the kid's cute and all, I enjoyed the Pursuit of Happiness..... but come the fuck on!

domn8rdom
05-18-2010, 03:17 AM
Now that was a beautiful rant and I completely agree with you. How can you make a re-make of The Karate Kid. If there is a wax on wax off scene, the producers should be shot!

PhoCarrot
05-18-2010, 08:21 AM
I seriously thought this was a joke. Are they really out of old movies they can rip off? Karate Kid isn't even that old!

Oh, Jackie Chan. You're too good for that movie... :C

Herr Shaun
05-18-2010, 10:24 AM
I was never a fan of these movies, so I'm not deeply affected by this remake. It still looks pretty bad, though.

That said, if they decide to make a Big Trouble In Little China remake, there will be hell to pay.

DreddPirate Rob
05-18-2010, 10:52 AM
I saw the trailer last night while waiting to get my Red Dead Redemption and i let out an audible "Seriously!?" I knew it was made but i hadnt seen anything till last night.

Deadly Moves
05-18-2010, 11:01 AM
The Karate kid 2010 doesnt look that bad c'mon...? I think youre being overjudgemental.
At least its a proper live-action film and not some over CGI'd crap like Avatar was

Pentexrx8
05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I hope they lose serious money on this movie and they stop trying to force us crap movies and stop trying to invent the next super star actor. Will Smith got popular because he was funny on a TV show but that was 15 years ago. What has his kid done?

LFC Alevop
05-18-2010, 12:06 PM
couldnt believe my eyes when i saw the poster for it at the cinema, you just know its a terrible movie right ow without even watching it

KFZ Scrubs
05-18-2010, 12:46 PM
The Karate kid 2010 doesnt look that bad c'mon...? I think youre being overjudgemental.
At least its a proper live-action film and not some over CGI'd crap like Avatar was
Because it's a remake of a classic movie.......a movie thousands of people loved and they're just pissing all over it. Now i'm not saying change isn't good.... i'm just saying the only thing that makes this related to Karate Kid so far is this...a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor who's an asian guy.
Yes i know i'm being critical, I'm just ranting right now because this among many other movies piss me off.
Oh yea, also... didn't know but looks like daddy was the producer and that the film was refashioned so that it could be a star vehicle for Jaden....

Fixelbucket
05-18-2010, 12:55 PM
I actually didn't even know it was a remake. Just a similar plotline with the same name. Mostly because there aren't any of the original characters in the movie.

I would be very upset if I saw that Jackie Chan was playing Mr. Miyagi and Jaden Smith was playing Daniel-san.

I will wait and watch the movie before I say if it's a good or bad thing.

I hope they lose serious money on this movie and they stop trying to force us crap movies and stop trying to invent the next super star actor. Will Smith got popular because he was funny on a TV show but that was 15 years ago. What has his kid done?

I've seen him in one movie and that's Pursuit of Happyness and I liked his performance in that one at least :)

Iconoclast
05-18-2010, 01:08 PM
I was never a fan of these movies, so I'm not deeply affected by this remake. It still looks pretty bad, though.

Agreed. I really can't say I enjoyed the original Karate Kid films, so this is just another movie that I won't waste my time watching. But I'm in complete agreement that it looks awful. I smell fail...

Br0kenAssass1n
05-18-2010, 01:35 PM
Because it's a remake of a classic movie.......a movie thousands of people loved and they're just pissing all over it. Now i'm not saying change isn't good.... i'm just saying the only thing that makes this related to Karate Kid so far is this...a bullied youth learns to stand up for himself with the help of an eccentric mentor who's an asian guy.
Yes i know i'm being critical, I'm just ranting right now because this among many other movies piss me off.
Oh yea, also... didn't know but looks like daddy was the producer and that the film was refashioned so that it could be a star vehicle for Jaden....

Didn't realise you'd seen the film to be so knowledgeable about whether it's good or not. Fair point, there are too many remakes coming out, but some WILL be better, and some WILL be worse. If you start watching this thinking it'll be shit, there's only going to be one outcome.

Truth be told, if Will Smith was your dad, you'd have him pulling string too.

I will wait and watch the movie before I say if it's a good or bad thing.

Sensible man.

Deadly Moves
05-18-2010, 01:36 PM
Oh yea, also... didn't know but looks like daddy was the producer and that the film was refashioned so that it could be a star vehicle for Jaden.... As much as i loved the original as kid.. it wasnt a good film. and the sequels were even worse. So i think this remake will be on a similar level.
Sorry but i think everyone is being over critical before they have even see it. I say give it chance.

Ryan2099
05-19-2010, 07:24 AM
Oh, Jackie Chan. You're too good for that movie... :C

I used to think he was, but guess not anymore. Guess everybody is trying to make a quick buck these days....:mad::(

rvlution
05-20-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm just tired of remakes in general. Creativity, people.

marzipanninja
05-24-2010, 09:13 PM
You do know they're going to remake Police Academy at some point? Jackie Chan will probably get Steve Guttenbergs part as well

KFZ Scrubs
05-24-2010, 09:23 PM
As much as i loved the original as kid.. it wasnt a good film. and the sequels were even worse. So i think this remake will be on a similar level.
Sorry but i think everyone is being over critical before they have even see it. I say give it chance.
Yea... i should give it a chance..... i'll eat my words though if it's really good. Of course i won't watch it until i read enough reviews.... i already have a negative view of the movie.
I'm just tired of remakes in general. Creativity, people.
Hahaha, creativity is dead.... they're making a ton of remakes and making movies based off of comics and games and such.

elephantd
05-24-2010, 10:46 PM
I think it will be alright, won't see it because I'm not 10.lol

Falcroe
05-26-2010, 03:04 AM
Oh yeah, new Karate Kid looks like a real turd. Actually I think I'd rather spend 2 hours watching a turd literally. What's next a Back to the Future remake, or perhaps Goonies?

SynysterChris
05-26-2010, 11:05 AM
Oh yeah, new Karate Kid looks like a real turd. Actually I think I'd rather spend 2 hours watching a turd literally. What's next a Back to the Future remake, or perhaps Goonies?
From the trailers I have seen, it looks more like a re-imagining than a remake. Though I was kinda like Whaaaaaaa... then I thought it might be ok. Though I think it should be named The Kung Fu Kid rather than The Karate Kid. One because it's in China and that's where Kung Fu is, and because Karate is Japanese.
Also the movie takes place in China. Plus that way it would stand as a "original" concept that just resembles The Karate Kid. The other is ya it's Will Smith's kid so what his dad is famous and I'm sure is kid wants to be like is dad, an actor you can't blame him. I know for sure if my dad was lets say Bruce Willis I would defiantly be in movie's just because my dad is Bruce Willis. People would know that why I got the part but I would try my best so people wouldn't say that's the only reason I got the part.

X monkfish69 X
05-26-2010, 03:16 PM
I was never a fan of the original 4 films (yes there were 4), so I won't be crying over whatever unjustice they might be doing in this remake.

However, it does look like shit. I bet that if you could lick it, it might taste like shit.

RexDarr
05-27-2010, 12:26 AM
*shudder*
I saw that last night when watching sports highlights. It seriously looks like THE worst remake of all time!
The original Karate Kid was WAY better. Even just the characters, judging by the trailer, are horrid and not played the same way they are in the original.
I bet the entire soundtrack will be "Kung-Fu Fighting" and rap :mad:

theraybo
05-29-2010, 01:46 AM
I think it maybe isn't to be be that awful, from people that have seen it, they were pleasantly surprised.

IINayRII
05-29-2010, 08:39 PM
I never was a HUGE fan of the Karate Kid. But I have seen it. This movie will be bad, a long with most all re-makes.

Should be called Kung fu kid....

i m redshark
05-29-2010, 09:11 PM
Mainstream my friend....... it's really starting to piss me off. IT's not about making something that's really good.... art..... poetry in motion.... it's making something that people will spend their money to see so they get richer.
I'm surprised that nobody is speaking up over this.... i mean come on!
Hey, let's remake King Kong except he'll be an overweight teenage boy that moved here from Slovenia who's socially awkward in the beginning but then slowly adapts to American society and becomes a hero... ohh yea did i mention there was tits?
Ugghhh, sorry.... i've just been so pissed off lately with crap they've been releasing into theaters..... and then you bring up the remakes..... and the Karate kid... pisses me off so much.
Another person who was wrongfully cast for the movie.
IMO.... he was only cast because of 2 reasons.
1. He's Will Smith's son and casting him in his own movie will bring some more money in than any other person would.
2. Daddy paid them off.
I mean seriously.... the kid's cute and all, I enjoyed the Pursuit of Happiness..... but come the fuck on!
Everybody just wants to make money off other peoples success and ideas. That's Hollywood for ya, shady shady MoFo's

Starstrukk X360A
05-29-2010, 11:53 PM
I am saddened by this.

I don't want to watch it. I loved the original but the trailer alone for this bugged the hell out of me.

CodSteaks
05-31-2010, 08:39 PM
I'm with most people in thinking there's a sad lack of originality in big budget Hollywood movies these days, but for some reason, I kind of want to see this. It's not like the first four movies were the pinnacle of quality anyway. They've pretty much already turned this franchise into a cash cow before this one, maybe this one will be decent.

Red Testament
06-01-2010, 06:10 AM
I'll admit it, I got a bit of a grin when he hit the fly with a fly swatter. But I have no desire to see this movie. I'll take the original any day. I imagine kids today will love this one and hate the original if they watched both.

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 03:18 PM
I think i'm going to kill myself....
YouTube- Justin Bieber - Never Say Never ft. Jaden Smith

Lainders
06-01-2010, 03:31 PM
I loved the original, but i think I'll give it a try (on RS)

SynysterChris
06-01-2010, 08:03 PM
I think i'm going to kill myself....
YouTube- Justin Bieber - Never Say Never ft. Jaden Smith (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Z5-P9v3F8w)

lol, I actually watched the whole video. They totally ruined the Crane style kick ending, Lame...

I wonder if this will be the song playing for the workout montage during the movie, because you can't have a fighting movie without a workout montage.:woop:

Munkee Dragon
06-01-2010, 08:45 PM
the words don't fix what isn't broken comes to mind but hollywood doesn't seem to apply to Common Sense Quarterly like regular functioning members of society...very tired of craptastic remakes or reimaginings...

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 08:48 PM
lol, I actually watched the whole video. They totally ruined the Crane style kick ending, Lame...

I wonder if this will be the song playing for the workout montage during the movie, because you can't have a fighting movie without a workout montage.:woop:
I really hope not... that is not a workout montage song.... the other one they used in the trailer will probably be the montage song... the 50 percent pain or whatever... i forgot what it's called.