PDA

View Full Version : My theory about Nightingale... (SPOILERS)

BlackDragon
05-18-2010, 08:35 PM
Okay, so having completed the game, collected all the manuscript pages, and read the 'Alan Wake Files' I got with the Collector's Edition, there's one major question left completely unanswered - just what was it that drove Nightingale to hunt Alan with such desperate hatred? The most I was able to gather from the Files is that, some time ago, he somehow lost his partner in the line of duty, had a nervous breakdown, and got kicked off the force. Apparently, he's blaming it on Wake, even BEFORE he gets to Bright Falls (where everything pretty much IS Wake's fault.)

So, what happened? I've got a theory about that...

Before starting in on this little horror-story, Alan was known for his series of crime-novels about a hard-bitten New York detective. What if 'Departure' wasn't the first of his books to gain a life of its own? I'm thinking that Nightingale's partner died in circumstances that were ripped, word-by-word, from one of Alan's books - most likely, 'The Sudden Stop', his last one. Nightingale notices, and decides that Alan Wake is somehow capable of manipulating people through his writing. In one of his notes from the Alan Wake files, he speculates that by the time he reaches Bright Falls, everyone there may 'already be dancing on his strings'. So he basically believes Wake to be some sort of puppetmaster who uses his writing to affect events, and when he starts finding bits and pieces of the 'Departure' manuscript, it confirms his suspicions...

So basically, he blames Alan for 'writing' his partner's death, and hunts him on that basis. Makes him a shade more sympathetic... IF my theory is correct.

Sh0tgunSquirrel
05-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Interesting theory dude! That would be pretty cool. Lets hope some of the DLC maybe gives us some answers!

TartanSpartan17
05-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Nice theory. Totally agree with the last post, I want one of the dlc's to explain this more.

metallicorphan
05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
good stuff

when Alan and Barry are in Jail and Sarah says to Nightingale

'i want to speak to your superior'

and Nightingale replies

'yeah well i want.....' and then he stops short of telling us what he wants,it was that point when i figured something was up with him....good theory Black Dragon

the upcoming DLC(another 6 pieces of DLC was it?)will be very interesting

Quickdraw
05-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Okay, so having completed the game, collected all the manuscript pages, and read the 'Alan Wake Files' I got with the Collector's Edition, there's one major question left completely unanswered - just what was it that drove Nightingale to hunt Alan with such desperate hatred? The most I was able to gather from the Files is that, some time ago, he somehow lost his partner in the line of duty, had a nervous breakdown, and got kicked off the force. Apparently, he's blaming it on Wake, even BEFORE he gets to Bright Falls (where everything pretty much IS Wake's fault.)

So, what happened? I've got a theory about that...

Before starting in on this little horror-story, Alan was known for his series of crime-novels about a hard-bitten New York detective. What if 'Departure' wasn't the first of his books to gain a life of its own? I'm thinking that Nightingale's partner died in circumstances that were ripped, word-by-word, from one of Alan's books - most likely, 'The Sudden Stop', his last one. Nightingale notices, and decides that Alan Wake is somehow capable of manipulating people through his writing. In one of his notes from the Alan Wake files, he speculates that by the time he reaches Bright Falls, everyone there may 'already be dancing on his strings'. So he basically believes Wake to be some sort of puppetmaster who uses his writing to affect events, and when he starts finding bits and pieces of the 'Departure' manuscript, it confirms his suspicions...

So basically, he blames Alan for 'writing' his partner's death, and hunts him on that basis. Makes him a shade more sympathetic... IF my theory is correct.

i could see that work in theory, then again i thought the power of that plac eonly brought what written there to work, so if it wasn't written there nothing would happen, someone could have also read the book and copied what happened there.

if was something brutal and unique i can see why nightingale is very annoyed with wake, in both ways wether its a copycat or its been brought to life.

Enemy Instinct
05-19-2010, 04:21 AM
I like it. A bad coincidence leads to him hunting Wake. Good call.

BlackDragon
05-19-2010, 06:35 PM
It's true that a direct 'writing comes real' effect shouldn't work outside of the Cauldron Lake area... BUT you can't forget that all-important note from the Well-Lit Room.

That note concerned Alan's childhood, and was written by Thomas Zane, nearly 40 years earlier. That means that either A: Thomas Zane was Alan's absentee father or B: Thomas Zane wrote Alan into existence.

Either way, there could be some surplus supernaturalism inherent in Alan himself, which could cause his 'conventional' writings to take form - maybe under the influence of some other bit of hoodoo.

...come to think of it, considering all the reality-warping that goes on around here, there's another possible explanation. One both simpler, and far more complicated: Nightingale doesn't HAVE any reason. He didn't exist until Alan Wake WROTE him, as an antagonist for the early 'thriller' section of his 'Departure' novel. Nightingale's reasons are unknown because Alan never wrote them - possibly he just didn't get around to it, or maybe he decided that a mysterious motivation would make Nightingale more intimidating. Either way, the earliest data we have on Nightingale involved him driving into Bright Falls, just around the same time that Alan starts writing Departure in the cabin...

Ardocc
05-19-2010, 08:04 PM
Both interesting theories. The one fact supporting the "Alan killed off the partner" is that Nightingale in the cell claims he has proof that Alan had plans on killing off a federal agent, and I can't recall any situation that points to that it was Nightingale himself, so.. maybe meaning his partner?

But again, all creepy things happen around Couldron Lake. Must take that into consideration.

It would be pretty ironic if Thomas Zane wrote Alan into existence, and then wrote himself out. For what reasons? Could be the father, perhaps.. I mean, as this story turns out with all untied ends, what's NOT possible?

I can't wait to dig deeper into the story.

BlackDragon
05-19-2010, 08:30 PM
Both interesting theories. The one fact supporting the "Alan killed off the partner" is that Nightingale in the cell claims he has proof that Alan had plans on killing off a federal agent, and I can't recall any situation that points to that it was Nightingale himself, so.. maybe meaning his partner?

Actually, there was a manuscript-page that describes Nightingale being torn away by the Dark Presence. You find it shortly after it happens. In fact, he refers to it right before it happens - going "Huh? This seems familiar..." Referring to the fact that he's read that exact scene already, and realizes it just moments before he's blown through the door.

So yeah, when he talked about that 'conspiracy to kill a federal agent', he was probably talking about the page describing his own (ambiguous) demise.

Ozbaab
05-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Interesting read!

If you had Video Commentary activated (comes on the bonus disc with LE), when you enter Nightingales motel room, Remedy says that they got more planned for him and that they kind of like the guy.

What I think is also very interesting is that Nightingale is seen in the ending, in the darkness.

BlackDragon
05-19-2010, 09:17 PM
What I think is also very interesting is that Nightingale is seen in the ending, in the darkness.

You sure that was him? I couldn't tell, it went by so fast - and I've seen at least three different theories about who it was: Nightingale, the evil psychologist (forgot his name), or Scratch, the 'copy' of Alan that you see near the end...

Quickdraw
05-19-2010, 09:48 PM
You sure that was him? I couldn't tell, it went by so fast - and I've seen at least three different theories about who it was: Nightingale, the evil psychologist (forgot his name), or Scratch, the 'copy' of Alan that you see near the end...

i froze the frame and looked carefully im convinced its him, we don't see him dieing just being dragged outside, maybe since he read his death he had something prepared and changed it?, mean if the page was written summit like "nightingale got pulled out into the darkness, he could have not been taken or he has and is maybe a new manifestation of the darkness.

Ozbaab
05-19-2010, 10:52 PM
Oh yea I'm sure.. It looks exactly like him.

I got the Prima Guide today, althought I already maxed the game I thought what the heck.
I wouldn't recommend reading the guide if you haven't completed the game as it contains spoilers, atleast stuff I know I wouldn't want to know before starting the game.

Anyway, to the point.
There are brief explanations of the ppl in the game, and ofc there is one of Nightingale;

Nightingale arrives in Bright Falls to investigate the disappearance of a visiting woman, and other missing people that Bright Falls has had an unusually high number of. He soons forms a theory that Wake is a mad serial killer behind all the disappearances around the town.

So.. This is in the official guide made by Prima and by Remedy themselves.

Another thing, in the guide there is these small pictures of what looks like lost manuscript pages, just like in the game. Only these are called Lost Files and you can say these are exactly like pages found in the game.. Only exclusive to the guide. Don't worry there's only 5 of them.

I found this one interesting;

Master of the Marionettes

Deerfest was in full swing, and Harbor Street was awash in red, white, and blue confetti. He stared out from the window of the Oh Deer Diner, and saw life pass him by.
These prople were the salt of the earth, ready to help both friend or stranger.
These prople were cruel, uncaring and mischievous. Out for themselves, and fearful of failure.
These prople were mad.
And he was the master of these marionettes.

So this is exactly like the ending! With Nightingale standing and watching his marionettes? What do this mean? That perhaps he is now the evil guy?

Hiryu
05-19-2010, 11:43 PM
great suggestions here... keep it going i will be reading this topic , like nightingale is watching from the window at the end sequence xD i think its now confirmed that it is him.

and this extract from the guide... he's now evil? his marrionettes? .... damn i want to know MORE!!!!!!!!!! :Bounce::(

IISYNII Raid3n
05-20-2010, 05:09 AM
All these theories jeeze... The only logical thing I can come up with was already mentioned. He was written into the manuscript for the thriller section of the novel, however his motives are never revealed, that's obvious but the big question is what is it that happens when he is pulled out of the cell room? In theory if the taken and the darkness Alan encounters is controlled not only by his story but the woman (her name escapes me right now) isn't it entirely possible something else happens that is outside of Alan's novel? He is out of sight and out of mind, what is to say that she didn't somehow...imbue a part of her powers to Nightingale before she was killed and he could potentially use his unexplained hatred against Alan to continue the battle? Either that or she takes him over, because there is all of this talk about her using a 'new skin' it doesn't mean it couldn't be a guy.

Ardocc
05-20-2010, 07:00 AM
Actually, there was a manuscript-page that describes Nightingale being torn away by the Dark Presence. You find it shortly after it happens. In fact, he refers to it right before it happens - going "Huh? This seems familiar..." Referring to the fact that he's read that exact scene already, and realizes it just moments before he's blown through the door.

So yeah, when he talked about that 'conspiracy to kill a federal agent', he was probably talking about the page describing his own (ambiguous) demise.

Hm.. Game, set and match, heh. I was so into the "Wake killing partner"-theory I totally forgot about that.

ClubStew
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
i could see that work in theory, then again i thought the power of that plac eonly brought what written there to work, so if it wasn't written there nothing would happen, someone could have also read the book and copied what happened there.

if was something brutal and unique i can see why nightingale is very annoyed with wake, in both ways wether its a copycat or its been brought to life.
Yes, but remember that Thomas Zane basically wrote Alan Wake into existence - or at least parts of his life (as made apparent at the endof ep. 5 - coincidentally about the same time the hairs on the back of my neck stood on end).

ClubStew
05-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Hm.. Game, set and match, heh. I was so into the "Wake killing partner"-theory I totally forgot about that.
Yeah, but he didn't read that until he was already in Bright Falls, which is where Alan started writing Departure.

PuschChris
05-20-2010, 11:26 AM
Shrot question. I didn't understand why there is a copy of alan wake called scratch.(near at the end) what is he/it ? and why does he/it exist?

BlackDragon
05-20-2010, 11:37 AM
I don't get that bit either. He pops up so briefly - it SOUNDS like he's supposed to be an Alan Wake 'replacement' so nobody notices he's still in the lake - but it doesn't seem like he ever actually does.

...waaaaaait a minute. The DLC. They said you'd get to play more, Alan Wake is trapped in the lake, and switching to another protagonist would be a technical nightmare. And there's a perfect copy of Alan Wake hanging around with nothing to do. I think I see a connection...

Ardocc
05-20-2010, 11:50 AM
...waaaaaait a minute. The DLC. They said you'd get to play more, Alan Wake is trapped in the lake, and switching to another protagonist would be a technical nightmare. And there's a perfect copy of Alan Wake hanging around with nothing to do. I think I see a connection...

Oh.. Hrm. Sure it's a sound theory, but it kinda smells "far fetched" to me. But I guess it's not impossible.

Edit: Tho, watching the end-cinematics again, it doesn't sound far fetched at all. "This is Mr. Scratch, your friends will meet him when you are gone"

Maybe you continue playing as Alice? hehe. In search for Alan, since she was the last thing you see in the game.

Just laying it out there, even if it sounds retarded! :) To get thoughts and discussions going.

surreal_82
05-20-2010, 08:01 PM
well i suppose the dlc is supposed to be a retelling of events from different perspective yeah? Well maybe if wae is trapped in this nightmare struggle, would it not be entirly possible that Alice is running some similar gauntlet to alan? Although she is shown several times throught being held by whats her name its only a brief image... she could be in a complete mirror situation, only alan is missing and she is trying to find him, minus the manuscript and story writing??? prob noy but just a guess after reading all this

TheDeceiver35
05-21-2010, 03:30 AM
Interesting theory, definitely probably, im hoping the future DLC will clear this up (and the hundred million other little questions left unanswered.... lol)

saphyrefox
05-21-2010, 03:59 AM
Very interesting theories. One thing i noticed that kind of goes with Nightingale believing wake is behind all this and writing things to happen is almost every time he meets up with wake he calls him by a famous authors name like Hemingway(Ernest), Spillane(mickey), and H.P. Lovecraft.

Frost FI
05-21-2010, 08:18 AM
I just hope that Alan knew what he wrote. Loopholes & Dark presence is a very bad combination.