PDA

View Full Version : Glitched Thermos and Sign?

II OE II
05-19-2010, 02:23 AM
As the title says, i grabbed number 43 before i got 42, so i went back and collected it, but i didnt get credit and now i cannot get the thermos to reappear.. Same issue has happened with one of the signs. Ive been following both Webb's guide and a guide listed elsewhere to the letter, and i have not missed anything prior to episode 4. Any thoughts of what i can do?

Sh0tgunSquirrel
05-19-2010, 02:32 AM
I really hope there aren't many of these glitches! Im missing one Thermos and the one I think im missing, I don't remember picking up, so im hoping a similar thing hasn't happened to me. I may be wrong though and just picked it up at the same time as bullets/batteries! Any one else had potential glitches relating to Thermos collection?

Derpcrawler
05-19-2010, 03:42 AM
The game's achievments are glitched. A lot of people have problems with one or another achievement. I for example can't get Manuscript pages and Radios achievements even if I collected all of them.

http://forum.alanwake.com/showthread.php?p=83986#post83986

II OE II
05-19-2010, 04:14 AM
so basically im screwed out of gamerscore until a patch comes along and fixes this, IF it does? i guess the people who got their copies a week earlier than most didnt have these issues, as i have seen people with 100% before the game even got released.

Derpcrawler
05-19-2010, 04:28 AM
so basically im screwed out of gamerscore until a patch comes along and fixes this, IF it does? i guess the people who got their copies a week earlier than most didnt have these issues, as i have seen people with 100% before the game even got released.

It works with some people, but it don't work with others. I'm guess we are not the lucky one who don't have problems with Alan Wake. But I recomend you to finish the game first, get all the collectables and if achievement(s) do not unlock for you, you can start worry. :)

II OE II
05-19-2010, 05:18 AM
yea.. you're right.. i shouldnt worry until it doesnt pop after i collect everything. will give a response once i finish normal mode.

DarthVolod
05-19-2010, 06:31 AM
Am having problems with Missed by a Mile so far ... did well over 20 dodges (sometimes 20 in one fight) and it still has not unlocked all tho the float like a butterfly unlocked.

I noticed that recovering gamertag seems to have helped a little as it allowed me to get float like a butterfly when that was glitching, but I don't want to have to recover every time I need an achiev. Right now, I am afraid to even finish the game because of all the collectible glitches people are talking about.

Remedy really dropped the ball on this one, five years of development for some of the most glitched achievs I can recall seeing in a game.

Ozbaab
05-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Wow that's bad :( I never had any of these problems..

II OE II
05-19-2010, 09:53 AM
okay. so as of 2:30am PST i completed my normal run and collected everything i could, and both the Hypercaffeinated and Bright Falls Aficionado achievements did not unlock for me. Unfortunately, i now have to search for this one blasted thermos and sign that have glitched out on me as well as the Nightmare scripts >.<

Sh0tgunSquirrel
05-19-2010, 10:50 AM
Im going thru on nightmare now. I've looked at the vids of collectables and Im convinced I haven't missed any but still only have 99 Thermos'. Lets hope any glitches are patched QUICKLY!

Quickdraw
05-19-2010, 11:43 AM
that really bites, this shouldn't be a huge issue to fix give it a couple of days they will get a patch churned out.

Riverpatrol
05-19-2010, 06:14 PM
Im going thru on nightmare now. I've looked at the vids of collectables and Im convinced I haven't missed any but still only have 99 Thermos'. Lets hope any glitches are patched QUICKLY!

Same with me :(

DaLawmaker
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
As the title says, i grabbed number 43 before i got 42, so i went back and collected it, but i didnt get credit and now i cannot get the thermos to reappear..

As already written in the Alan Wake forum, I got the same problem.

During my playthrough I missed an early thermos in episode 1. The one where you have to walk back to the car before walking across the bridge, right after you get to Cauldron Lake.

I paused my playthrough (somewhere in episode 2) and reloaded episode 1. After getting the thermos that saving symbol appeared but my stats stayed the same. Before getting it, my stats told me that i collected 21 of 100 and after getting that thermos the counter still showed 21 of 100. http://forum.alanwake.com/images/smilies/confused.gif

So I decided to finish my playthrough first before trying again. After finishing the game my stats told me that I collected 99 of 100 thermos. So I went back to episode 1 again. But this time the thermos wasn't there anymore. It seems that the game recognized that I picked up that thermos and saved it somehow, but for some reason didn't update my stats.

That really sucks, because I think that there will be no chance to get the thermos to reappear. :(

II OE II
05-19-2010, 07:59 PM
there better be a patch to fix this invisible thermos and sign or ima be pissed... Aside from this annoyance, the game is hella sweet.

Ozbaab
05-19-2010, 08:22 PM
Sucks.. I'm glad I didn't encounter such a problem when I raced it

II OE II
05-19-2010, 08:45 PM
so during my nightmare run. i encountered my missing thermos #11.. Yet, i collected this one already on my normal run.. O well, got the achievement for that. Now i just have to deal with my sign problem.

EDIT: YAY! Sign #2 gave me the credit i needed for reading the signs achievement. *shrug* i guess i may have just missed these two items 5 times over somehow.. Now i can enjoy my Nightmare run :)

Tyger7
05-20-2010, 04:55 PM
so during my nightmare run. i encountered my missing thermos #11.. Yet, i collected this one already on my normal run.. O well, got the achievement for that. Now i just have to deal with my sign problem.

EDIT: YAY! Sign #2 gave me the credit i needed for reading the signs achievement. *shrug* i guess i may have just missed these two items 5 times over somehow.. Now i can enjoy my Nightmare run :)

You missed sign two because you have to read both signs for it to count. There is another instance of signs where you must read a few of them to get one to count. I have a seperate collectibles guide finished but going to tweak it a little bit (its also in order as you get them).

As far as the thermos and other collectibles go, it has to do with reloading checkpoints or dying. Lets say you have picked up a few collectibles and are running through the woods and hit a checkpoint. Then you realize you need to backtrack to get one! OOPS! You grab it and continue on, but before hitting another check point you died! The game erases your collectible data from the point of the checkpoint! You would have had to backtrack again.

I missed 2 manuscripts total. 1 because I was writing a collectbiles guide, and when I found it, I wrote down where it was but forgot to pick it up. The next one was the checkpoint problem I had mentioned above. Check stats often!

DaLawmaker
05-21-2010, 02:05 PM

Same strange thing happened to me last night. I decided to start my nightmare playthrough instead of worrying about my missing thermos. Then during episode one in the very beginning, thermos #2 (the one in the bunker) had reappeared.

I know you guys are gonna think that I must have forgotten that one during my first playthrough, but I'm 100% sure I already collected it.
I had even checked this several times before, so to me it seems, that the game somehow fixes that kind of glitch on its own by making any thermos reappear to make the stats still work correctly.

But whatever, I'm just glad that the problem got solved somehow.