PDA

View Full Version : Worth getting?

Lord Goblinboy
05-19-2010, 03:41 PM
i am looking to pick up the collectors edition on friday and was reallly wondering whether its worth getting?

i love scary games, so i was wondering how it compares to games such as fear, or condemned?

second, im an achievement whore ^.^, how hard is this game to get 1k on?

last, how good is the story? iv heard its amazing which is what has drawn me towards this, but an honest answer would be nice.

thanks guys :D

Nicknoon
05-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I absolutely loved the game. The story is superb.
the archivements are not hard at all, nor is the nightmare mode.

I'd definately recommend it. To me it was a must have.

Quickdraw
05-19-2010, 03:50 PM
the collectors ed for me was the same price as normal so, if the same why not and get the dlc free.

Scary, well myself ive been scared worse in fear, i guess for me it is abit like condemned, on nightmare mode the fact they can kill you quickly will make you sweat.

second question, well 106 pages 100 coffee flasks 14 radios, 11tv's 25 signs, 30 chests alot of collectables you can get a good portion done on normal then rerun nightmare for the last pages and hardest diff acheivement. apart from that its really simple.

the story is amazing and deep, and can melt your brain if you try to unraval some bits of the story, deep thought required, but even most people can get a decent understanding.

other things id like to point out, gfx and sounds are amazing and spot on, the facial and lip syncs are being fixed in the dlc, dont be to heavy on that.

i hope this helps you :)

The Nerevarine
05-19-2010, 05:18 PM
I may be in the minority here, I'm not sure, but I've been following this game for 2 years and last night I played the first chapter in the dark by myself and here's my thoughts on the matter: meh. Follow me here (spoiler free), and try not to get upset by my opinion so far if you love this game...

The first thing that stood out to me was how terrible the voice acting is. In the beginning of the game there's some uninspired inner monologue from Wake and it's read snappishly and without feeling. Then you're brought to a tutorial level where a voice/light from the sky instructs you what to do. The problem here is that the voice work is like a slightly-literate 7th-grade student heavily ad libbing his script and speaking into a tin can in a 'movie preview' voice. It really ruined the introduction to the game for me big time, and I really was nervous it was going to suck bad. Let's make no mistakes, this tutorial level was terribly presented, maybe the worst I've ever come across, and I can't imagine anyone arguing otherwise.

But then the first episode... the voice acting improved a great deal from the 14-year-old light-in-the-sky, but the animation was awful. Characters don't move around unless they're in a cutscene, and the facial animation problems you've heard about are far worse than people describe (although they tried a lot harder with Wake than any of the other characters). The animation in-game is last-gen at best. This coupled with some of the object models (like the cars) looking like they were pulled straight from a Dreamcast game made some of the cutscenes real ugly. So all these issues and I hadn't even got off the boat. I was pretty nervous considering I wanted this game to be great.

The good news is that once the game kicks in it's fun to play. The environments are really good, with cool wind and fog effects whipping the trees around, and howls and whispers move around you in 5.1 making for a lot of ambience, and the enemies will sneak up on you out of nowhere and take plenty of bullets to kill (playing on 'hard'). The combat is handled well: when your gun goes empty and you hit fire, Wake puts a single bullet into the gun and fires, as opposed to getting a click (a la RE) or a full reload (a la Halo). It's a really, really nice touch that greatly adds to the game. You're also encouraged to wander into the woods for secret supply chests, but sadly they're not very secret since someone has gone to the trouble of ladening the landscape with arrows pointing to them.

I hear a lot of people getting hard-ons for the story in this game, and let me just tell you, I can't fathom why. Maybe there's some cool plot twists and stuff that I haven't encountered, but so far the writing is amateur. First of all, the writer's block turning into living breathing story thing is way played-out and nothing original. Then there's Alan's character... Alan Wake's wife is an insipid sweetheart, with nothing but supportive and coddling words for Alan, but for some reason Alan is an unruly twit who has strange overreactions to his wife and the characters he meets because all he does is throw temper tantrums.

So, I'm going to keep playing this game partly because I payed $60 for it and partly because I don't care how terrible the acting and writing is, and partly because I'm willing to forget everything that's happened so far if it gets better. Hell, I mean, I played through Alone in the Dark!

Oh, and how can I forget. How SCARY is it? On a scale of 0-10, I give it a 5. On the same scale, I would give both Condemned and Dead Space an 8. Even if you just count the first levels from each game, Wake is a far more timid affair.

So, I don't think it's worth $60. Some people have already 1k'd it, and there's no reason to come back to this game. It's not Resident Evil 4, in fact it's nowhere even close to the mark.

At least, that's my opinion so far.

P.S. I got Red Dead Redemption with Alan Wake, and that game is crazy awesome. If you want to dump $60, I suggest RDR and wait 'til Alan's only $30 or so.

Lord Goblinboy
05-19-2010, 09:05 PM
Brilliant replies guys, seriously i didnt expect such a detailed answer.

well, i can get the collectors for 40 or get RDR for the same price, and im looking for more of a single player game and i love scary games.

Our scales are probably alot different as i didnt find dead space as creepy as condemned or fear. alone in the dark wasnt too bad either.

I do wonder whether the dlc will have achievements with it. Does anyone know this? gonna hope for a few more replies then make a decision,

thanks guys

The Nerevarine
05-19-2010, 09:30 PM
I love scary games too. I live alone, and I wait until it's dark and quiet, then I wear my 5.1 headphones and play them in the dark with the game's darkness levels cranked way down and on the hardest difficulty.

I thought Dead Space was creepy because it was actually fairly difficult, so knowing that there may be 3 necromorphs around the corner and I only had 6 shots and the save station was a mile away was a constant mind-screw, but Condemned, yeah I guess you're right, it had a lot more classic scares and fright than the jumpy-uneasiness that was Dead Space.

That said, the things that make Alan Wake less scary for me are how easy it is and how stepping into the light is instant-safe... I mean, there's light everywhere.

But again, I've only played the first chapter (and am comparing to the first chapter of the other games), my views may change considerably as I go on.

If you're interested in the game you might as well pick it up and have fun with it if you aren't bothered by my comments regarding the details. I still don't think it's worth $60 to most people... I just buy new on day one no matter what because that's how I roll.

MicroCool
05-19-2010, 09:46 PM
The voice acting is fantastic, the sountrack is epic and the graphics are amazing. It really is a cool place. I like how it is a very real game as to how you play and move. The story is one of the best i've seen in years. It reminds me of a cross between an M.Night Shalaman movie, Poltergeist and Stephen King. I love the manuscript idea too. It's a great addition. I also think the LE is one of the best just because it's unique and is put together very well. To me it's worth it and it's a game I can always come back to and play.

Le Vampyr
05-19-2010, 10:22 PM
I won't repeat all the good points everyone's already said, though I will point out a possible bad point to this game..

Replay value.

After completing your first run through, the only reason you'll need to play through again is for achievements and the higher difficulties. You'll be able to complete one run through in around about 12 or so hours, which is shorter than I was expecting to be honest. Being that this is such a story driven game, your 3rd or 4th run throughs won't be as enjoyable as the 1st, because you know how it ends and you just end up skipping all the cutscenes (which also add a great deal to the story), so the core of the game is lost and there's nothing else much. For example, it's like watching a murder mystery show / film for the 2nd time; it's not as good as the 1st time because you know who the killer is and how it all plays out.

There is DLC due for this game though, so that's good enough reason to hold onto it should you get it.

Don't get me wrong, i'm loving Alan Wake (on my 3rd playthrough on "Nightmare" difficulty right now) and similar type games such as Silent Hill, i'm just making you aware of the replay value is all.

TheDeceiver35
05-20-2010, 05:15 AM
Id recommend it, only about 1/3 of the way through so far but im really enjoying it.

Lord Goblinboy
05-20-2010, 05:15 PM
keep the info coming guys, its very helpful :)

appreciate it

MelangeAddict
05-21-2010, 12:02 AM
Good info guys. I've been thinking about buying this game but need to finish one of my other games first before I go spending more money. I better get cracking.

Mr1721
05-21-2010, 09:25 AM
Hell yeah this game is worth getting.

wildwest08
05-27-2010, 09:31 PM
just finished the game and it was great!!!!!! i would recommend it to anyone out there

Andy Shandy
05-27-2010, 11:13 PM
Alan Wake is definitely worth getting

The story is one of the best on Xbox 360...Although this isn't difficult with most big-name games stories being kill that alien to capture a specific alien place...then kill more aliens :p I'm looking at you Halo and Gears

The soundtrack to the game fits perfectly with the game, from Space Oddity by David Bowie to In Dreams by Roy Orbison to the Poets of the Fall stuff

There are plenty of things that can make you jump with the right atmosphere although it is more a thriller than a horror

The manuscript idea is also well done with certain pages only unlocked if you play on a harder difficulty, meaning that if you want to play it easy...you may not get the whole story

As for achievements I got about 3/5 of the achievements one the first playthrough, therefore leaving room for scope and yet meaning if you only want to play it once (silly you) you shall earn a decent GS for it

All in all, I picked this over RDR mainly because I'd heard that RDR is GTA IV western-style and I'm glad that I did because this was well worth the experience :D

HaloTitan
05-28-2010, 03:03 AM
To: The Nerevarine

Not saying you should like the game, but your opinion of it is something that shouldn't be considered too seriously until you've at least had the chance to beat the game. You never know, you may be judging this game too early, kind of like I did with Mass Effect.

Edit: Read a little further and saw that you compared the first chapter to the first chapters of other games. I can respect that, but I still say you finish the game and see if you like it more or less.

Deagletime
05-28-2010, 09:48 AM
thinking about picking this up today... i'm starting school soon so gaming's goin on the back burner... ugh!

ReD S1X
05-28-2010, 10:33 AM
If you like very deep story and lots of questions, get it. Got the Collectors Edition and it's worth the buy plus it's got a paperback book