PDA

View Full Version : For those using the Official Strategy Guide! *MINOR SPOILER*

Sh0tgunSquirrel
05-19-2010, 04:42 PM
I know these are generally a thing of the past with the internet around now but for those (like me) doing it the old fashioned way, I thought I would give a warning about a missing Thermos from a map in the guide.

I went to nab the collectables on my 1st playthrough using the icons on the maps (they are written descriptively too but i didn't want to read about upcoming story) and finished the game with 99 Thermos'.

The Map im refering to is at the beginning of chapter 5. The icons in the map show a Thermos, Manuscript and a Sign inside the book store but there is also a Thermos in the park to the right as you leave the book store which is not detailed on the maps.

I know this may seem minor but I haver replayed all the chapters up to this point 3 times searching for this, convinced my game was glitched. Just didn't want this happening to the few others who may use the guide.

miiiguel
05-19-2010, 04:50 PM
Thanks a lot man, I ordered the guide too. I like them official game guides, not only as a "guide" but also as a collectible item. Then again I'm also used to typos and incomplete info in these. Good call, man, good call!

Sh0tgunSquirrel
05-19-2010, 06:49 PM
No probs. I buy them more as collectable items too but with so many in game collectables, I thought id put it to some use. Other than the minor missing info, its a very detailed guide.

DarthSoth
05-19-2010, 07:42 PM
I buy them often as well. I just like the book in hand and I also like to make my own annotations in the books that make things a little easier, and of course for the whole collectors part of it too. AC2 was a job unto itself to page mark items and the like. That book was brutally put together with an uberlame (read non-existant) legend for quick reference at the beginning, so I ended up making my own page description system for it.

Ozbaab
05-19-2010, 08:49 PM
I actually picked up the guide today!

Although I've already maxed the game, I though what the hell, and bought it. Collectors Ed too, and it came together with an AWESOME high quality art-book.
There's some history of Remedy, and like the making of Alan Wake.
Very nice for fans!!

DarthSoth
05-19-2010, 11:58 PM
I would totally justify buying a strategy guide for many games rather than putting the money towards the LE (or whatever other form of initialism companies use to indicate Special Edition). Most special editions for games are lame and largely useless anyway. Unless they are going to give me something unique and useful in the game I just can't be bothered forking out the extra cash for the games. At least the Strategy guide is helpful.

Ozbaab
05-20-2010, 05:02 AM
I would totally justify buying a strategy guide for many games rather than putting the money towards the LE (or whatever other form of initialism companies use to indicate Special Edition). Most special editions for games are lame and largely useless anyway. Unless they are going to give me something unique and useful in the game I just can't be bothered forking out the extra cash for the games. At least the Strategy guide is helpful.

I got both the LE and the CE guide lol.

The content in the LE was awesome. If you don't want to count a very nice boxing, then do count the book Alan Wake Files, which is a hard cover 150~ pages book, written by the guy in Alans dream. He travels to Bright Falls after the events of the game and has interviews with alof of people.
VERY interesting read!
Then, you got a bonus CD with unlockable avatar gear, video commentary and making of + soundtrack.
:eek:

BUZZARDIO 1080
05-20-2010, 09:49 AM
Thanks for the info, im going through a nightmare ,collectable run, which i have no decided to split in to two seperate runs (normal for collectables, and then a nightmare run), as getting the collectables on nightmare is just getting silly.
But i we be sure to get that missing collectable from chapter 5, .,
i also get lots of these guides as i just like looking through them, but i do feel we should be able to claim some money back when they are incomplete/incorrect, i have had many with misleading info , and when your paying for a guide, its gotta be right.

Ozbaab
05-20-2010, 09:52 AM
Good choice! I did the same.