PDA

View Full Version : How scary is this game?

Catso10
05-21-2010, 12:25 AM
Is this game really as scary as they say it is? Would it make one jump?

mcnichoj
05-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Haven't played this yet but did you play Dead Space, BioShock 1 or Condemned 1? Did any of those scare you?
I ask this so other people can gauge those experiences with this one.

Also, did you get creeped out at all by the Bright Falls prequel video series?

mistical
05-21-2010, 01:42 AM
I would have to say that this game is not that scary, at least not at all when compared to games like Dead Space, Condemned or BioShock.

You will jump here and there rather it be you were caught off guard by a foe or just creepy things going on or even get the chills. But it may be premature to say as I did just start Episode Four. But I do not foresee it being scary at all either and from a few friends that I have talked to that beat the game already, it was not to them.

But if you want added chills and a better experience I say play in the dark and the volume turned up louder, if possible.

Crimson Ridley
05-21-2010, 01:54 AM
Nah, it's not scary at all, even when it tries to be. Sure, you may jump a little when you don't notice the enemy, but if you have good reactions, you can quickly recover from that with a light to the face.

I couldn't really describe it, it's not creepy, it's not a thriller, it's not scary, but it's not buttercups and roses all the way through. It's dark and it keeps you on your toes, and I suppose playing it at night does give a more chilling feeling, but it's lacking in the scare department.

Then again, scary movies and games never seem to do much to me, no idea why, I think it's because I know none of it is real, so fear doesn't wander into my mind.

hopesfall2win
05-21-2010, 02:01 AM
More like a mindfuck than scary. Just messes with your head, and hurts your eyes :)

epicrage
05-21-2010, 02:09 AM
I just jumped and yelped in Episode 5 when you are near the bridge and a guy busts through the door that you are trying to get into. Usually the bad guys approach from a distance...

TheDeceiver35
05-21-2010, 03:06 AM
I just jumped and yelped in Episode 5 when you are near the bridge and a guy busts through the door that you are trying to get into. Usually the bad guys approach from a distance...

Yep this was really one of the parts I found scary as well. The rest of the game wasn't scary for the most part but it was certainly tense at times (some of those tv shows were creepy too)

Mooney910
05-21-2010, 03:45 AM
I played some last night. Scariest part I've come to so far was my own fault. I play with the volume loud and there were no enemies around, but I walked into a power line. I was electricuted and the noise was loud. Holy CRAP. I had to pause the game and laugh at myself.

Ozbaab
05-21-2010, 05:16 AM
Both Condemned and Dead Space are ALOT scarier, but both those games does have Mature rating. Keep in mind that Alan Wake is rated Teen.

mzneu2thegame
05-21-2010, 05:24 AM
I thought the first F.E.A.R. was pretty scary. The begining of Dead Space was a great way to start off as well.

Mr1721
05-21-2010, 07:01 AM
I dont believe Alan Wake is that scary but i really wanna buy this game. Bioshock wasn't bad either.. Dead space i never played.. Condemned was fucking wierd and scary i have to admit and F.E.A.R. was funny as hell im like come here bitch where are ya... lolz

Frost FI
05-21-2010, 07:42 AM
I don't like games that fall under the same category as Alan Wake, but only because it's made by Remedy and story written by Sam Lake I have to play it.

The game is not enough hard on hard level, so you don't get nervous and scared because of the difficulty. There are tons of checkpoints and the game is saving constantly, so you don't have a fear that you need to play long for the same area if you happen to fail. Pure fright? It depends on your luck. Only time I've got seriously scared is when one object started moving. It wasn't Taken, it just made a small move but I was so in the game. If you play with 5.1 audio and with good speakers, you'll get a lot more scared.

First time every Taken caused me chills in my head and body, and they still do, even though I know they're only fun to beat. Well, as long as I don't run out of flashlight and ammo.

:edit: I've completed three chapters and started fourth yesterday and I finished the third chapter at midnight. I played with no sound, so the experience wasn't as good as it could have been, and definitely not as scary.

Ozbaab
05-21-2010, 08:24 AM
Well it's not really fair to compare it to Condemned and Dead Space, as those to games are rated as MATURE. Alan Wake is TEEN.

But it IS supposed to be a thriller, and thrillers usually are scary..

KemicalSupreme
05-21-2010, 11:12 AM
I got the chills lastnight playing thru episode 1. Not too bad though, I thought Bioshock 1, condemned and silent hill were not that scary. FEAR is the scariest game I have played by far. Love FEAR

Shadowfan789
05-21-2010, 01:30 PM
This game could be scary, or it could be fine, it just depends on what scares you. I have jumped a couple of times, usually from nothing or a shadow that somewhat looks like a Taken, but this game isn't like hauntingly scary. The reason this game makes you jump more than others is the atmosphere the game paints. The music, the scenery, all of it draws you in until... BANG!!! A trash can is knocked over and it scares the heck out of you. I'm almost done with Episode 3, and these types of scares are the only ones that have gotten me so far.

Pearson
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
Alan Wake does keep you on your toes and there is a jump factor to it. Silent Hill, Condemned and the original Resident Evil was a bit more scarier. I didn't find Dead Space all that scary, I jumped a couple of times because I wasn't expecting anything to happen.

Kryptech
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I wouldnt say scary at all. The game is more creepy than anything. I play it right before bed with all the lights outand always have weird dreams after. It has good atmoshpere, but nothing jumped out as particularly frightening. My biggest problem for such a darkly light game is the bright white HUD that never goes away and constantly reminds me I am playing a game. It would be so much more immersive if the devs made a vanishing HUD like Gears or let you control the opacity like Fallout 3 or Infamous.

oXI Chimera IXo
05-21-2010, 10:08 PM
not at all.

Dulworth
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
its not super scary but the sounds in the game kinda put u on edge when its foggy and you dont know where they will come from

Wildcats 418
05-28-2010, 12:56 PM
I hope this game is as scary as Dead Space on Impossible mode or Resident evil 1 for the game cube now that was a jump right out of seat game with the lights off of course.

Kryptech
05-28-2010, 05:36 PM
I hope this game is as scary as Dead Space on Impossible mode or Resident evil 1 for the game cube now that was a jump right out of seat game with the lights off of course.

I think you are going to be dissappointed. My hopes were as high as yours, but RE and DS are hard to beat. This game tries desperately to grasp at bar set impossibly high by said games and it looks, feels, and plays like a game that should've been released in 2006. It's really not even a horror story, more of a creepy thiller that poses as a horror story.

oXStarKillerXo
05-28-2010, 11:05 PM
Not finding it scary at all.

Gripping would be the word i would use. Feels like I'm playing a real TV show you'd watch on an american channel or something, Like Lost.

I thought this would be like Alone in the Dark in terms of episodic... but Alan Wake does it in a much more awesome way.

But yeah, not scary... just gripping :)

Timmorijo
05-30-2010, 01:24 PM
I jumped one time, where SPOILER end of episode 3 or 4 where you find out what happend to Alice and the woman thing jumps right at the screen.

trublustuuk
05-30-2010, 01:53 PM
I thought the first F.E.A.R. was pretty scary. The begining of Dead Space was a great way to start off as well.
When F.E.A.R. first came out I had it for the PC and I used to play it at 3/4 in the morning and believe me there where times I thought about getting a clean pair of underwear at hand lol

Alan Wake I wouldn't say was scary, a bit tense but not scary, only time I really jumped was when I walked into a bear trap lol

TxsChilliBowl84
05-31-2010, 12:28 AM
Alan Wake I wouldn't say was scary, a bit tense but not scary, only time I really jumped was when I walked into a bear trap lol

I thought it was a manuscript and went to go pick it up. I was mistaken.

DENAz666
05-31-2010, 01:16 AM
It has its moments, thats for sure. Definately not what i'd class as scary though, doesn't make you jump like other games. I hate games that make you jump :P

Braddy J
05-31-2010, 01:50 AM
The game isn't scary whatsoever in my opinion. Tense and atmospheric, yes. But it's no Silent Hill.

Horwitz
05-31-2010, 02:08 AM
I didn't think it was scary at all. This pales in comparison to dead space or resident evil 5.

thedoob
05-31-2010, 03:32 AM
Only thing that gave me the creeps was the sounds. Random noises kinda flipped me out.

ZonaBoy89
05-31-2010, 03:36 AM
It didn't come off as scary to me at all just more of a mind trip it also hurt my fucking eyes after playing it for 30 minutes because of all the motion.

Pumpfake93
05-31-2010, 03:42 AM
The game is not that scary it is just creepy especialy if you play at night with the lights off and the volume up. Also Bioshock was not a scary game and if you think it was than Alan Wake might be scary for you.

infernoterrorize
05-31-2010, 04:52 AM
the only scary parts i thought were when I got surprised by some Taken when they sometimes come out of nowhere.

GhOsT SLaYeR
05-31-2010, 04:54 AM
not scary imo.... you can get startled by enemies you didn't notice..

Logan I
05-31-2010, 06:29 AM
There were some creepy moments in the game, the story was twisted, and I guess you could call it scary... but not as scary as the other games listed in this thread. In my personal opinion Condemed is the scariest game on the 360, then Dead Space, then Bioschock, Alan Wake may not even be the fourth scariest 360 title, it may fall further down the list. Very rarely do enemies sneak up on you, most times when enemies are behind you it will cut to a slow motion sequence and show you where the enemies are coming from. It has a great story that is definitely on the creepy side but it isn't really that scary

YpU
05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
I wouldn't necessarily class this game as "Scary" per say, Although there were a few "Jumpy" bits here and there, It's a good game though. Definitely worth the pickup if you're a fan of the whole "Psychological thriller" game genre's.

iiiMoNsTaaa
05-31-2010, 04:43 PM
I wouldn't class this game as scary, it made me jump the first few hours i was playing it but you get used to the enemies after a while which makes it less scary and just a normal game.

Dredgon
06-01-2010, 12:59 AM
It's all in the atmosphere which is creepy and haunting, and there are some good jump moments (my favorite being when you ahve to get the key from the bathroom in the trailer park and when you leave the light shatters and a Taken jumps out of a stall). I would call it scary, but not the same scary as Dead Space, which is IMO the scariest game ever!!!!!

Chuckwagon00
06-01-2010, 04:56 AM
all in all, the game was not really scary. there were however lots of tense moments running through the woods with no safe zone in sight trying to escape a horde of Taken. not scary though.

pcgamer11
06-01-2010, 07:04 PM
I wouldn't describe it as 'scary' more like 'edge-of-seat thrilling.' There are def. sum cool jumpy moments tho.

AlSuwaidix
06-02-2010, 07:51 AM
It is a thriller game .. Umm it's not scary game like Resident Evil or Silent hill :P

INFERNOII
06-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Honestly, compared to DeadSpace, this game isn't scary at all. It'll make you jump the odd time, but thats pretty much it.

sera07
06-03-2010, 11:27 AM
I wouldn't necessarily class this game as "Scary" per say, Although there were a few "Jumpy" bits here and there, It's a good game though. Definitely worth the pickup if you're a fan of the whole "Psychological thriller" game genre's.

I agree, those taken are really "jumpy". They just came out from no where (sometimes behide you) without the cinematic sence. Thinking it is a "night version" of RE5 and it should be fine (Somehow I like RE5 graphic engine).

Rybo96
06-04-2010, 04:26 AM
I played some last night. Scariest part I've come to so far was my own fault. I play with the volume loud and there were no enemies around, but I walked into a power line. I was electricuted and the noise was loud. Holy CRAP. I had to pause the game and laugh at myself.

i lol'ed at this because the same thing happened to me, gave me the biggest jump of the game. most of the other time when things were supposed to scare me i was looking around for items and missed what was popping out

marty da stooge
07-24-2010, 09:58 AM
wtf u guys talking about?! i have to take breaks every 30 min cuz my heart is pumping so fast! this game scared the hell out of me! especially the beggining when it sets up the story

b10gg5
07-24-2010, 01:56 PM
play this game with surround sound headphones on and in the dark,you will jump lots.