PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else think the Manuscripts are kind of spoilers for upcoming gameplay?

The Lovat Scout
05-21-2010, 01:44 AM
I know the devs intended for us to read them ahead of time I guess, but there are a few manuscripts I got and just kind of ruined the surprises that were going to happen later on in the chapter. Anyone else think so? Also, I'm only on Episode 3, so please don't refer to anything beyond that Episode :)

DeceptiveJunk
05-21-2010, 01:51 AM
At times, I found the manuscripts to ruin upcoming surprises, but rarely. Other times, they increased the suspense because I knew something was coming up, but didn't know when. Ex: early in the game, when you find a manuscript that tells you Wake made it out of the woods, but then he heard a chainsaw, all I could think "oh crap"

I won't spoil anything for you, but the manuscripts are important to the story. At the very beginning of episode 5 for example. Also, a lot of the manuscripts let you know what was going on in other places of Bright Falls. I liked that because it made the story more complex and lifelike.

wh1tel1ght
05-21-2010, 01:53 AM
At times, I found the manuscripts to ruin upcoming surprises, but rarely. Other times, they increased the suspense because I knew something was coming up, but didn't know when. Ex: early in the game, when you find a manuscript that tells you Wake made it out of the woods, but then he heard a chainsaw, all I could think "oh crap"

I won't spoil anything for you, but the manuscripts are important to the story. At the very beginning of episode 5 for example. Also, a lot of the manuscripts let you know what was going on in other places of Bright Falls. I liked that because it made the story more complex and lifelike.

as he said. i shat a brick at the chainsaw manuscript. but when i heard the chainsaw i just about sucks said brick back into my body.

Crimson Ridley
05-21-2010, 01:58 AM
I thought the same thing, the manuscripts were kind of like browsing GameFAQs.

Sometimes they worked, like when they'd be about something you won't see, such as Barry jacking off in the Sheriff's office (Well, that's what I would have done...), and then texting you, before he sees the darkness, which he does a little while later. That was a nice touch. But when they were about Alan, and what happens to him five minutes before you get to that point, it ruined it.

The Lovat Scout
05-21-2010, 02:36 AM
bl:ah spoiler!

Shadowfan789
05-21-2010, 01:10 PM
There are times that, yes, the manuscripts do feel like they are spoiling a surprise that comes later in the episode... but I don't think that happens too often. I, like you, am only on Episode 3 so far, but I still think the pages do help. *Incredibly small spoiler* They give you other people's perspectives, like what Sarah thinks of Nightingale at the beginning of Episode 3. This also draws to the illusion that you are trapped inside your own story. The pages are there to help you better understand the world in which you are trapped and usually when the pages do hint at something coming up later, they are quite vague and leave it open to imagination, anticipation at what is to come.

mnemo
05-21-2010, 01:32 PM
It's the idea of the manuscript pages to present events in the past, present and future of the scripted "story" the player is following. This is also in line with the works of Stephen King who has used this stylistic device in his books. Some throwaway sentence would "spoil" something upcoming. Sometimes it's scarier to know that something is upcoming than to be surprised by it when it's happening.

Shadowfan789
05-21-2010, 01:40 PM
You can think of the story as Stream of Consciousness. It's basically a writing style that doesn't have a clear timeline. The events aren't always in order, but by the end they start to make sense.

carinbonin
05-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Well, don't read them until you finish the chapter and have a sequence.

Monkah
05-21-2010, 11:11 PM
WARNING, SPOILER BELOW!

I was worried that Barry would get killed when I read the manuscript about a Taken bringing an axe down on him. But it never happened, so I guess that was an anti-spoiler?

Tullaris
05-22-2010, 11:18 AM
I thought they were an awesome idea myself. Granted they were a bit spoilerish, but it seemed to me it was mostly a spoiler for the sake of building suspense, rather then an actual storyline spoiler. You knew something bad was waiting around the corner and that alone created the suspense. Alot of the ones in Nightmare though are quite spoilerish, so its a good thing you have to play through the game first.