PDA

View Full Version : Gunless Wonder - Can you Use Checkpoints?

darkandlong
05-21-2010, 02:27 AM
So my dumbass fired a shot. Can I reload checkpoint and continue? Or should I just start over? Also if I stop the game and reload later will I still get the achievement? Or do I need to run from start to finish without quitting?

Thanks.

Derpcrawler
05-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Yeah, you can. I've fired my pistol by accident, so I reload my checkpoint and still got the achievement at the end of the chapter.

Ozbaab
05-21-2010, 08:19 AM
Heh that's really generous.. Wouldn't have been surprised if you had to start all over again

Filter x360a
05-21-2010, 08:18 PM
Nice, just going to do this now. Good to know!

Thanks for the heads up!

Pearson
05-21-2010, 10:41 PM
I need this achievement and it is good to know if I accidentally fire a shot that I can reload a checkpoint and still get the achievement. Thanks for the heads up and eliminating the possibility pain of trial-n-error in trying to get this achievement.

EDIT: Can the flare gun be used? specifically when facing the tornado?

Krimson Spawn
05-22-2010, 02:33 AM
I need this achievement and it is good to know if I accidentally fire a shot that I can reload a checkpoint and still get the achievement. Thanks for the heads up and eliminating the possibility pain of trial-n-error in trying to get this achievement.

EDIT: Can the flare gun be used? specifically when facing the tornado?

The achievement will unlock as soon as you reach the tornado.

Pearson
05-22-2010, 03:38 AM
The achievement will unlock as soon as you reach the tornado. Thanks, I got it as I approached the boss about 10 minutes after I posted this. The information should help others with this as well.

Ray5555
05-22-2010, 03:46 AM
Thanks, I got it as I approached the boss about 10 minutes after I posted this. The information should help others with this as well.

The only hard part in episode 6 if you are going for the gunless wonder achievement is the spot light ambush fight at the end of the episode. Other then that there should be no reason for you to fire off a shot, by accident.

the_b1ues
05-22-2010, 02:45 PM
I played right to the end not even firing a shot and i didnt get this

Ali_P_84
05-22-2010, 08:10 PM
I played right to the end not even firing a shot and i didnt get this

Did you use the flare gun at all? If you did this counts as firing a bullet.

Donaugh
06-02-2010, 12:35 AM
Btw you have to walk right up to the tornado for the achievement to unlock. I to had fired a shot then reloaded a checkpoint and thought I wouldnt get the achievement. Nearly quit to menu, but luckily kept walking forward.

Logan I
06-02-2010, 06:08 PM
Yeah it should unlock just before you get to the Tornado, and like others have said, DO NOT USE THE FLARE GUN! Flashbangs and regular flares are ok but do not pull the right trigger for anything until you see the achievement unlock. (Its also easier to get on normal, but that seems obvious, just wanted to point it out if anyone is trying to do it on hard or nightmare)

Ali_P_84
06-05-2010, 09:30 AM
To me it was the toughest of the miscellaneous achievements because you run out of flares and flashbangs quite quickly, leaving you with no way of fending off enemies if there is no safe haven in sight.

Definitely needs to be done on normal so you can withstand a few hits.

Donaugh
06-06-2010, 06:54 PM
To me it was the toughest of the miscellaneous achievements because you run out of flares and flashbangs quite quickly, leaving you with no way of fending off enemies if there is no safe haven in sight.

Definitely needs to be done on normal so you can withstand a few hits.

actually i finished with 4 flares and 2 flashbangs. the trick is to skip past the tornado fight by running over the to mine cart, dropping a flare behind you pushing the cart till you can get in, then doing the same for the second one. there is a lighted checkpoint directly after that which lets you skip it all and save a ton of equipment. the only part i found difficult after that was trying to get past the sprinters while the stupid cut scenes would pop for things falling from the sky.

jenafer6
06-08-2010, 12:47 AM
actually i finished with 4 flares and 2 flashbangs. the trick is to skip past the tornado fight by running over the to mine cart, dropping a flare behind you pushing the cart till you can get in, then doing the same for the second one. there is a lighted checkpoint directly after that which lets you skip it all and save a ton of equipment. the only part i found difficult after that was trying to get past the sprinters while the stupid cut scenes would pop for things falling from the sky. thank you so much.. i have not been able to get past this part yet. i will try this tonite.:woop:

x FLA5H x
06-08-2010, 01:48 PM
actually i finished with 4 flares and 2 flashbangs. the trick is to skip past the tornado fight by running over the to mine cart, dropping a flare behind you pushing the cart till you can get in, then doing the same for the second one. there is a lighted checkpoint directly after that which lets you skip it all and save a ton of equipment. the only part i found difficult after that was trying to get past the sprinters while the stupid cut scenes would pop for things falling from the sky.

I done exactly that last night, didnt bother with the big spot light, just ran straight passed it (picking up the flares) and then letting a flare off. I had around 10 flashbangs and the same of flares most of the way though. Quite easy if you note the location of the three chests to be honest

Shrimp my Ride
06-09-2010, 01:33 AM
It's nice that they let you reload checkpoints.

thedoob
06-09-2010, 04:21 AM
Did it on normal first try. I thought it made the achievement quite intense, would like to see one for a whole chapter in the dlc, now that would be frightening.

Ceejus
06-18-2010, 01:38 AM
I did this without using any flares or flashbangs. Just the flashlight. Didn't even realize you could use those. It was extremely difficult. What I did at the searchlight part was kill all of them with the light except for one (killing him would have made more pop out of the shed next to the light), then weaken him down with my flashlight. I then kept running far away from him, and turning to stun him with the flashlight every few seconds. Luckily enough I managed to push the cart without him catching up to me. Once inside, immediately to the right is a square area you drop down. He followed me down into it, at which point I simply jumped back up. Then he was stuck. It was kind of funny. But yeah, either way, I apparently unknowingly fired something somewhere along the line, because the achievement never popped up for me. Did manage to impress even myself by making it to the tornado without using anything but the flashlight. Now that I know flashbangs and flares can be used though, I'm gonna go for it again tonight.

CHAMP PHELPS
06-18-2010, 04:15 AM
Yeah I did the same thing by accidently shooting my revolver once but I just paused the game and pressed restart checkpoint.

Diego Knyte
06-18-2010, 05:34 AM
The only hard part in episode 6 if you are going for the gunless wonder achievement is the spot light ambush fight at the end of the episode. Other then that there should be no reason for you to fire off a shot, by accident.

Do you mean then one with the spotlight you can control where you have to push the coal-cars? Or the one where you start the generator and go up the elevator that's in the spotlight? If it is the first you can almost run through it. Since the checkpoint is right at the beginning of this I chanced a sprint-though and it worked.

Pretty much this is what I did, after I pushed the first coal car out of the way, walked until the tornado starts and you can see the spotlight in the background. Sprint straight for the coal car behind the spotlight and push it enough out of the way and let go of it by hitting B again. Turn around and drop a flare quick like and run left to the next coal-car and push. You should be able to sprint to the next checkpoint.

If it was the later, start up the generator and run to the spotlight where the elevator is to trip the checkpoint (yes, before the elevator is all the way down).

This achievement was actually not that bad but I had to keep in mind when I was done driving I needed to get that trigger finger away from that button! I just completed the game on Nightmare the night before-ish so doing it on Normal and running was a breeze. For that whole episode I pretty much conserved flares and flash bangs and kept focusing on checkpoint after checkpoint. Got in cars and tried to bypass everything I could.

Got it on the first attempt and using tips from in-game loading screen blah-blah and these forums.

Eksy
07-03-2010, 04:28 AM
Ahh, I was doing great through this chapter until I accidentally fired a shot RIGHT before I stepped into a safe haven light and saved a checkpoint. I'm not quite sure what happened there. Fidgety fingers I suppose.

When I got to the part with the mine carts I wondered how the hell you were supposed to push the thing with a chainsaw taken on your ass, but the flare usage tip makes it all clear to me.

Thanks for the tips - I'll have to reattempt this one soon.

wario2295
07-06-2010, 08:56 AM
yeah you can use checkpoints. That achievement was great though added alot more tension to the level

flakeysuperior2
07-11-2010, 04:24 AM
I've done this a couple times but it doesnt seem to unlock wierd.

R3vengeance
07-14-2010, 03:32 PM
Helpful advice above, thank you.

deevo420
07-15-2010, 03:07 AM
Thanks for heads up I have Skill Guide and it says you Can use flare gun but after beating the lvl quickly found out you can not, DO NOT FIRE FLARE GUN LOL:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

Balmungmp5
07-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Thanks for heads up I have Skill Guide and it says you Can use flare gun but after beating the lvl quickly found out you can not, DO NOT FIRE FLARE GUN LOL:uzi::uzi::uzi::uzi:

what do you mean by "after beating the level"

you can use the flare gun once you fight the tornado, but not before that.

OnePunchEckert
09-02-2010, 04:19 AM
i'm still stuck on the opening... how do i get the car past the tunnel with the vans and truck blocking the way??

Feanor5503
02-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Had to do it twice, but I finally got it.

I don't trust the checkpoint reloading after shooting method.

NorthernZoot
02-08-2011, 11:40 PM
TIP:
There is a section where you will pick up a pump-action shotgun near some construction lights. You will then walk up the hill (either left or right, doesn't really matter) with more construction lights on the way up, all the while, Taken will be coming after you up the hill. Don't bother fighting them, just shine your flashlight to hold them back and sprint when you can.

At the top of this hill is one more lamp, and the camera will pan out and across to show you that you are almost completely surrounded by taken. Again, don't fight... just run backwards up the small path directly behind you. Save your flares and flashbangs... you're about 10-20 feet away from a Safe Haven.

Wortsenawl
02-09-2011, 10:20 AM
well that was disappointing. I died twice on my 1st attempt at this, both avoidable. Instead of popping a flare I elected to just run. I thought this was going to be a difficult achievement. Oh well.

Inebriated Jedi
02-10-2011, 02:49 AM
Reloading the checkpoint didn't work for me. I fired my gun by mistake towards the start of the level, reloaded, and the achievement never popped for me. Oh, well.

EDIT: Okay, I got it. Now I have to work on the DLC.

TheUglyCasanova
05-12-2011, 09:32 AM
well that was disappointing. I died twice on my 1st attempt at this, both avoidable. Instead of popping a flare I elected to just run. I thought this was going to be a difficult achievement. Oh well.

It wasn't too easy on Hard. Even thoguh I fucked myself at the very end and made it impossible to move the boat and car out of the path with only two flares so I had to fire. Pretty shitty since I could of done better if it didn't do a checkpoint on me.