PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here seen "In the Mouth of Madness"?

Kryptech
05-21-2010, 01:25 PM
I was just curious as it was one of my favorite horror movies and this games reminds me of it a little. I haven't finished the game yet, but I really like it so far.

Vulx
05-21-2010, 02:00 PM
ya the game does seem to borrow several themes from various movies and horror stories...

there is a good deal resemblance to that movie in the game.

carinbonin
05-21-2010, 04:09 PM
Necronomicon = Manuscript?

Kryptech
05-21-2010, 06:41 PM
No you are thinking Army of Darkness.

I am talking bout In the Mouth of Madness. Where as Bright Falls = Hobbs End and Sutter Cane = Alan Wake, even though Sutter Cane is way darker and Alan Wake is kinda of a wuss. There dark forces coming to life from a book of a horror writer or are they?, and they read the book to know whats happening, ya its a little similar. I have a feeling the game wont be as dark as the movie though.

epicrage
05-21-2010, 07:05 PM
Did I ever tell you my favorite color is blue?

Kryptech
05-21-2010, 07:37 PM
Did I ever tell you my favorite color is blue?

That was classic.

MaxRenn82
05-24-2010, 03:31 PM
In the Mouth of Madness is an awesome flick!

I thought the story sounded a bit like the movie "The Dark Half" as well. Anyone remember that one?

Justin Case
05-24-2010, 04:03 PM
How is Alan a wuss?

He basically goes through the woods alone at night.

I can't even stand my basement man. :Q

ZOMBINOX
05-24-2010, 04:39 PM
"Do you read Sutter Cane!" ....

Loved that movie and Alan Wake is one of my favorite games right now. I'm a big fan of the Silent Hill games and Stephen King. I love the LOST Tv show, etc... so this game is right up my ally. I can't wait for the new Download content episodes!

NightTimeScene
05-25-2010, 12:06 AM
Twin Peaks / Lost / Stephen King (Books) / The Ninth Gate

nel e nel
05-25-2010, 03:36 PM
Necronomicon = Manuscript?

No you are thinking Army of Darkness.

I am talking bout In the Mouth of Madness.

In The Mouth of Madness is heavily influenced by the writings of HP Lovecraft. Lovecraft is the inventor of the meme we know as the Necronomicon. It has since become a standard prop in many of these types of stories.

The film pays tribute to the work of seminal horror writer H. P. Lovecraft, with many references to his stories and themes. Its title is a play on two of Lovecraft's tales, The Shadow Over Innsmouth and At the Mountains of Madness, and insanity plays as great a role in the film as it does in Lovecraft's fiction. The opening scene depicts Trent's confinement to an asylum with the bulk of the story told in flashback, a common technique of Lovecraft's. Quick reference is made to the Old Ones of the Cthulhu Mythos, as well as to Lovecraftian settings and characters (such as Mrs. Pickman). As read on-screen, Sutter Cane's writings even incorporate direct passages from his work.[3]
All of Sutter Cane's novels have similar titles to H.P. Lovecraft's books (e.g., The Hobb's End Horror in reference to The Dunwich Horror).

The Necronomicon is a fictional grimoire appearing in the stories by horror novelist H. P. Lovecraft and his followers. It was first mentioned in Lovecraft's 1924 short story "The Hound",[1] written in 1922, though its purported author, the "Mad Arab" Abdul Alhazred, had been quoted a year earlier in Lovecraft's "The Nameless City".[2] There was a possible reference to the book in "The Statement of Randolph Carter" (published in 1920) though it was not called by name.[3] Among other things, the work contains an account of the Old Ones, their history, and the means for summoning them.

Firegunbang
05-25-2010, 03:58 PM
Glad I'm not the only one - I love that movie (underrated horror classic) and within the first 10 minutes of this game it popped into my head.

I think it was the whole "writer vs guy with axe" in the tutorial that reminded me of that excellent scene where they're in the diner in the movie.