PDA

View Full Version : Hold On People say this game sucks????? WHAT!!!!

Kal_El
05-23-2010, 05:52 AM
I am sorry i just finished episode one and i am really loving this game! it's amazing! it's one of the most interesting stories....it really drew me in from the beginning! i was interested after watching the 6 episodes(the prequel) on xbl marketplace but this game is amazing! wow! i wish it had avatar awards(outside of LE) :( but this game is awesome! i know it's short but an amazing experience so far for me easily a 9-9.5 :woop:

P.s I heard it didnt sell well...that's a shame i guess i hope every1 at least rents it!

Hoborg
05-23-2010, 06:14 AM
That's right, sales are crap given the hype and the long development cycle. It's a shame because everyone bought Heavy Rain for the PS3. It's just a bad time to launch because of Red Dead.

I'd buy this game twice if I had the money.

Nero Mystyraa
05-23-2010, 06:21 AM
I asked my friends their opinion on Alan Wake and they said they started to get bored of it around Episode 2 but it started picking up again in Episode 3. I felt the same way. I'm on episode 4 so far and it's a good game. It's not great...but it's good enough. The story is what's mostly keeping me playing.

And yeah bad timing coming out on the same day as Red Dead Redemption and Prince of Persia.

Btw i know it says i haven't played Alan Wake yet on my gamercard. I'm playing it at my friend's house on his Xbox on his account (mostly watching him play cause he's so addicted to playing it xD) When he's done with it he'll finally lend it to me so i can start playing it on my account xD

Kal_El
05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
That's right, sales are crap given the hype and the long development cycle. It's a shame because everyone bought Heavy Rain for the PS3. It's just a bad time to launch because of Red Dead.

I'd buy this game twice if I had the money.

yea i have read dead it's amazing but launching them around the same time wasnt a good idea! and i didnt wanna get heavy rain seemed meh i played the demo it was ok. i like gameplay....quick time events even if they are unique is boring!

Evol Error
05-23-2010, 02:23 PM
I rented RdR and IMO I thought it sucked on many levels..
Good thing I didnt go and buy it like i was planning on..
But Alan Wake is a great game.
I enjoy playing it.

Pearson
05-23-2010, 03:09 PM
I heard that Red Dead is like GTA but set in the Old West so I went over to my friends and watched him play for a few minutes and I thought that it was good. However, I like Alan Wake better and I bought Heavy Rain, but still like AW better. I agree with the media that says that Alan Wake is an early contender for Game of the Year.

Siduakal77
05-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Honestly, I expected this game to suck.

I put it on my GameFly Queue.. It sent out Monday, it sat there til Thursday night (My last night off work each week) when I finished Red Dead story.

Then I said "Ahh, screw it.. I'll play the game, probably get bored an hour or two in and send it back"

I played through Episodes 1-2 that night, then 3-4 when I woke up.. 5 after work Saturday morning, and 6 today when I got home from work.

I started raving to my friends about it after that first night. And now? I'm a huge fan. I'm opting to keep it from GameFly and pay for it, it's just such an amazing title. The story is absolutely incredible. The gameplay, if described, sounds a bit dumb.. But in practice it's stellar.

This is the best game I've played in a LONG time, and this story puts it in my top 10 games of all time for story. Yeah, it's that good to me. I'm excited to replay it on Nightmare, but that probably won't happen for a few weeks.. til I finish the first week of July batch of games. In that nice July-August stretch of no really good releases.

I'm excited for the DLC. I plan to hold onto this game and encourage friends to buy it, or at the very least rent it. It's short, which hurts its purchase. Most don't buy games they can beat in a rental.

Ozbaab
05-23-2010, 07:06 PM
Didn't know Alan Wake sales were crappy. I liked the game ALOT. Everything about it I liked. Haven't ever been this hyped about a game AFTER I've cleared it three times in a row. That says alot!

I bought Red Dead Redemption this friday and that game to rocks, alot! They are completly different tho, can't compare em.

Trikke
05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
Am I the only one having troubles with Alan Wake's graphics and physics? Come on, this game feels so unreal!!

The graphics are good for objects you get to look at... from afar! But when you're close to them, it's just some flatlined crap! I know of older games that had more detailed objects.

When in the Diner (later in the game, at night), take out your pistol, and shoot through the window. Yep, that's right. Nothing. Probably shooting with blanks :)

I crash with my car at high speed against another car. The car I crashed into, didn't move a bit. None of the cars were damaged either. The headlights on my car were still working.
Or even better, drive at high speed against one of those thermoses. The thermos is still at the same spot.
Come on, please!!

Remedy has been working on it for what, 4 maybe 5 years? That game would have been great, if released 5 years ago. The engine used for this game is obsolete, full stop.

But, the story is good. Can be scary the first episode. But the next 5 are the same. You can tell when the Taken will show up. Dead Space was scarier!

Ozbaab
05-23-2010, 07:38 PM
I agree that the driving section of the game isn't the most polished. Which isn't really a surprise as most games driving parts suck.

The Carrot Cake Kid
05-23-2010, 08:42 PM
A few hours in and I'm not too impressed with the graphics or the voice acting. For the production time and hype you would think they could at LEAST sync the lip movements with the voice work. Also the in-game advertising I've seen doesn't even blend well. It just seems so pasted-on and intrusive.

doughnut18
05-23-2010, 09:00 PM
What amazes me is that given how quiet the game market is around this time of the year, as most devs are aiming for a pre-holiday, Q4 release, that what appears to be the 2 biggest games coming out, do so at nearly the exact same time. I know Red Dead was delayed a little but you'd have thought they might have perhaps had them 2 or 3 months apart, like Mass Effect 2 was held back to avoid MW2!! Boogles the mind really! Still loving Alan Wake just need to find time to finish it!!

hestar
05-23-2010, 09:07 PM
Alan wake was amazing how someone could think it isn't,is beyond me..Then again,People love racing games and I find them extremely boring.

oXI Chimera IXo
05-23-2010, 09:14 PM
I got bored of it, thought it was too long, story made no sense. Killing the same enemies over and over..always in a forest. Wasn't scary. Just wasn't what I thought it would be. Overall I thought it was boring and it was hard to finish. RdR IMO has a better story.

N3xus Gam3r
05-23-2010, 09:23 PM
^^ please dont compare 2 great different games, Alan Wake has one of the greatest game story so far for me :D

oXI Chimera IXo
05-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Okay, this game was in development for 5 years. And the quality of work that was produced from the time was garbage. This was what a 2007 supposed release? Even then, the graphics are complete trash. Story just didn't do anything for me thought the dream of dream and stuff was so cliche. But It's whatever floats your boat I suppose. Personally, Mass Effect floats mine.

Frost FI
05-23-2010, 10:19 PM
5 years isn't a long time for a studio like Remedy, which has developers who come to work with bicycles instead of Porsches. Death Rally>Max Payne>Alan Wake, I wouldn't say the progress line is bad either. There are 25 developers in the studio, so you also should get the answer for why PS3/PC version was never released.

I've heard about this game for first time about 2 years ago. There haven't been enough hype and I was kind of amazed when I read the news and there was information that the game will be released in next week. Luckily I wasn't among those who were waiting this game for 5 years, then I understand your disappointment.

:edit: Had to add this:

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/X-20100521144825093.jpg

moontsuki
05-24-2010, 01:22 AM
It doesnt suck, its just most people these days dont have the attention span for anything but run-n-gun FPS, sad I know!

Nero Mystyraa
05-24-2010, 05:09 AM

http://plaza.fi/s/f/editor/images/X-20100521144825093.jpg ROFL That's mean but so damn funny xD I would give them props if they produced a game like this under crappy situations like that lol

iKiddo
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
5 years isn't a long time for a studio like Remedy, which has developers who come to work with bicycles instead of Porsches. Death Rally>Max Payne>Alan Wake, I wouldn't say the progress line is bad either. There are 25 developers in the studio, so you also should get the answer for why PS3/PC version was never released.

I've heard about this game for first time about 2 years ago. There haven't been enough hype and I was kind of amazed when I read the news and there was information that the game will be released in next week. Luckily I wasn't among those who were waiting this game for 5 years, then I understand your disappointment.

Because MS said so. And most the studio was axed.

ZOMBINOX
05-24-2010, 07:39 PM
One of my favorite games now. I already beat it on normal and I'm going back on Hard. I was going to play Nightmare mode right after hard to stack the achievs. but I am more than willing to play the campaign two more times. I didn't know the sales were bad, so people, GO BUY THIS GAME!

Supermatt400
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Honestly what do you think this game is worth- rental or a buy? And also I am wondering the difficulty of getting the full 1000

Sambuca Queen
05-24-2010, 07:43 PM
Its one of the best games Ive played, I even got my boyfriend hooked and he went and got his own special edition copy :) Sadly Im only on Episode 2 due to working overtime. It has atmopshere, good characters, eerie OST and tis a good story so far.

jules the great
05-24-2010, 10:46 PM
yea i have read dead it's amazing but launching them around the same time wasnt a good idea! and i didnt wanna get heavy rain seemed meh i played the demo it was ok. i like gameplay....quick time events even if they are unique is boring!

Actually dont form an opinion on Heavy Rain until you play the actual game, i thought the same thing sort of from playing the demo. But when you get the whole story of Heavy Rain those scenes from the demo makes sense. HR is a story game.
On Topic...So far Alan Wake is awesome, im loving it. Im somewhere in teh middle of ep. 2. I can see ppl not liking it, but im not one of em!

Frost FI
05-24-2010, 10:58 PM
Alan Wake is now top 3 of highest rated games in Xbox Live. It cost me 20€, because I gave BFBC2 in return. Definitely worth the money. If you go for the points, it's not only fun but it's also pretty decent after all. I'm missing like 1 manuscript and 6 thermos that can cause me little headache, but I'm not a gamerscore whore. So this depends.

iKiddo
05-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Its one of the best games Ive played, I even got my boyfriend hooked and he went and got his own special edition copy :) Sadly Im only on Episode 2 due to working overtime. It has atmopshere, good characters, eerie OST and tis a good story so far.

Go play Dead Space for good atmosphere. Awakes is bloody terrible sub par. The hud completely ruins it.

Kal_El
05-25-2010, 08:16 PM
Actually dont form an opinion on Heavy Rain until you play the actual game, i thought the same thing sort of from playing the demo. But when you get the whole story of Heavy Rain those scenes from the demo makes sense. HR is a story game.
On Topic...So far Alan Wake is awesome, im loving it. Im somewhere in teh middle of ep. 2. I can see ppl not liking it, but im not one of em!

yea i said i'd gamefly it whenever i activate it again

Firegunbang
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
This is easily one of the better games I've played in a while. Not only did they craft a fun and suspenseful action/adventure/horror game, but they did it using a cool blend of linear and non-linear storytelling, and some superb level design.

I could see how it might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I found it phenomenal.

Zenth Forbias
05-25-2010, 08:39 PM
Sigh. I'm tired of graphic whores, I really am. I absolutely LOVED the story. It takes A LOT for me to get dragged into a game like this, and Wake's story kept me in. My ONE downfall was the games shortness. 6 Episodes, but however the episodes are rather lengthy.

I also remember saying to myself, 'This game needs to be called Energizer presents Alan Wake' because seriously.....

The game is good. Sure the physics and graphics don't match up, but Remedy isn't EPIC or Valve or IW. Let's be serious, people.

-KTA-
05-25-2010, 09:45 PM
Go play Dead Space for good atmosphere. Awakes is bloody terrible sub par. The hud completely ruins it.

Dead Space is a good game but after the first 2 hours the atmosphere is ruined by being incredibly over powered.

Alan Wake's atmosphere is superb, but it plays like a good book. So you need an attention span to enjoy it.

Because MS said so. And most the studio was axed.

Link? You know MS doesn't own remedy. Stop spreading bullshit.

iKiddo
05-25-2010, 09:49 PM
Dead Space is a good game but after the first 2 hours the atmosphere is ruined by being incredibly over powered.

Alan Wake's atmosphere is superb, but it plays like a good book. So you need an attention span to enjoy it.

Link? You know MS doesn't own remedy. Stop spreading bullshit.

http://kotaku.com/5315022/pc-version-of-alan-wake-is-up-to-microsoft
http://kotaku.com/5506146/why-no-alan-wake-on-pc

Yeah I'm not spreading bullshit. A lot of people were axed / left remedy at one point.

That points out that MS stated that it was 360 only. They also own ALL the publishing rights. Go figure.

-KTA-
05-25-2010, 10:03 PM
http://kotaku.com/5315022/pc-version-of-alan-wake-is-up-to-microsoft
http://kotaku.com/5506146/why-no-alan-wake-on-pc

Yeah I'm not spreading bullshit. A lot of people were axed / left remedy at one point.

That points out that MS stated that it was 360 only. They also own ALL the publishing rights. Go figure.

It's accurate to say MS put the PC version on hold. Everything else was bullshit. Left, and axed are two different things. MS did NOT fire any remedy employee's, they don't own them.

Shadowfan789
05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
A lot of games wait to release on the PC. Maybe it will be like Gears of War in the fact that the PC version will come with some of the dlc already on it? Who knows, we'll have to wait and see.

Awesome Tree
05-26-2010, 02:09 PM
People can't handle the metaphors.