PDA

View Full Version : Close this too probably (long winded opinion)

Tyger7
05-23-2010, 10:14 AM
So I spend 10 hours + writing a collectibles guide, and I should give joint credit for it? I didn't add anything to Webb's guide because he hadn't updated in so long, and I only had the game for a few days. I always suffer because I don't rush things. I read the Guide FAQ and it encourages people to write guides, even if there is one up stating "nothing is set in stone". I wrote my own in my own words. This is supposed to be a community website. They are just threads, why lock them? If they are so bad they'll get washed away with new threads anyways. My guide was being used and people were complimenting it.

Why lock it? They could have just clicked the stickied guide, but they scrolled down because they obviously didn't have all of the answers they needed. This site is obviously becoming locked down hardcore and shunning people away from contributing. If I wanted to go read a guide where I couldn't post my own, I'd go to IGN and read.

I did not make a guide to compete with Webb's, I wrote one because I wanted to. I enjoy writing them. So why punish me because someone else has one faster, because they had the game for 2 months and still hasn't fully completed it. I did it in 4 days! Give me a break.

I wrote a guide for Jurassic: The Hunted. Guess what? There was already a guide stickied. It eventually got published and the other one (which was published) taken down (but still stickied).

I should have figured something like this would happen. Next thing I know my collectible guide will also be locked. Really Jakeanape, did you enjoy locking the thread and putting yourself down to that level? Did you not read the majority of people were against what happened, then you came and did the same thing to that thread!? This is absurd, go lock every thread that has multiple guides!

My guide was very different in many ways. It linked you to my collectible guide which walked you through all collectiles and misable achievements as well. I was refraining from speaking my mind, but I can't any longer. How about my Splinter Cell guide too let's bring that up. It wasn't published because a different one was submitted first, one that linked my challenge guide! So here, I put multiple hours making something for the community, and get punished because I didn't rush the guide. Here is the problem. The collectibles are obviously the hardest part in the game. Anyone can get the kill achievements, anyone gets the story based stuff, anyone can even the achievements that describe what you have to do. I spend that long, so why not make my own achievement guide? Takes me 10 hours to write the collecibles guide, and 15 minutes to write the achievement guide...why? Because all the work was in the collectibles to begin with! Same as Splinter Cell, it's easy to run through that game and upgrade stuff. I spend hours doing the challenge guide, Last Stand Guide, and Last Man Standing video. That's where the blood sweat and tears come in, not for saying "To upgrade your first item, hit X on the upgrade screen."

I didn't write my guides to be stickied and published, I wrote them for people who needed help. Locking a thread that aims to help people deserves a lock? I write guides where two people reply and say "thanks it helped" and I feel like it was worth writing.

You mods/admins need to think things through a little more, this isn't a competition. I unsuscribed because of this kind of thing. Unlock both of those threads, because all you are doing is making yourselves look selfish and stupid. I want to help people, you want to...look cool? On the internet? What a shame. The only thing locking this thread (or deleting it) will do, is prove my point. You can apologize now and unlock my threads and we can all forget this happened. Then people can go continue to have the freedom to read whatever guide/thread they want. I pre-ordered a $200 capture device, buying a $1800 laptop to support it so that my videos I made were better looking. Do I need to watch my own videos? No. I spent money because I like helping people in my favorite hobbie. Ony my splinter cell videos I have 125 thousand views and 73 suscribers...I used a basic camera to take those videos. I reply to everyone's comments and everyone that sends me a message. With that many people I even suggested everyone watching my videos to come to this "awesome site!". I posted on my bulletein to my suscribers to go check out my Alan Wake guide. I guess I better delete that and warn everyone not to come to this site? I guess you guys also didn't see I went to the Xbox.com forums and posted in there the linked guide to this website (my guide). I feel like I try to hard, and you guys just go "screw that guy, he's not important". It almost makes me regret suggesting so many people to this site. Now that looks like it's gonna end up to be a waste in money, seeing as you guys don't want me to help people.

There's still time to fix this like I said. Many have voiced their opinions on the poll, and this is supposed to be a community site. Now that you locked my guide I can't even go edit something I wanted to edit! Please, reconsider your harsh, inappropriate actions towards a member that has done nothing but spend hours contributing.

Nero Mystyraa
05-23-2010, 10:29 AM
Bravo. You've provided a good solid argument instead of getting mad and typing threats.

I had no idea Webb had the game for so long. That makes me kinda wonder his dedication for the guide if it's not even done yet after so long.

I don't have much to say about this subject because i've already said what i wanted to say in the Poll thread that got closed.

But i will say this: Don't let anyone stop you from doing what you enjoy. No matter what you do in life, there will ALWAYS be someone somewhere that thinks you're an idiot for doing it. Remember that! So just do whatever makes you happy. If you like making these guides for the enjoyment of making them and to help us fellow gamers than i salute you and i encourage you to keep on making them.

There will always be people who will appreciate your hard work for the guides that you will make. People don't care who started a guide first, they care about finding a guide that's easy to follow. Your collectibles guide is so easy to follow that even my 9 year old brother can follow them without problem (apart from asking me what the occasional new word to him means :p )

Tyger7
05-23-2010, 10:32 AM
Jackanape you said

"We only ever have one guide stickied, and if that is not the case on other areas of the site then tell me where and I'll go and remove one of them. Other than that this thread is useless. "

Ok here's a list of just a few I found while searching recent games.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1335&order=desc&page=8 Red Dead

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1435
Jurassic The Hunted

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1294
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1551
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1291
Dynasty Warriors Empires 6

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1156 Final Fantasy 13

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1403&order=desc&page=2 Aliens VS Predator

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1332
Mass Effect 2

Need I continue? You need to research the topic before you claim dominance. This was out 8 out of 10 guides I checked. One which was Metro was because a Mod wrote the guide, same as another. These listed didn't have a mod write them. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you have backed me into a corner for no reason at all.

MasterWolf
05-23-2010, 10:42 AM
To be honest I almost never use a "published" guide because they are usually rubbish. I always go to the forum and look at different guides and choose the one I like the most. Your collectible guide was one the best collectible guide/ achievement guide/ walkthrough I have seen. Plus they have almost no spoilers.

Prima guides usually are not worth the $20, and IGN is pretty vague when describing stuff.

But you are going about it the wrong way. Ofcourse the mods are going to sticky and eventually "publish" their guides. They worked hard to put the guides together and they have the power to do so.

Tyger7
05-23-2010, 10:53 AM
To be honest I almost never use a "published" guide because they are usually rubbish. I always go to the forum and look at different guides and choose the one I like the most. Your collectible guide was one the best collectible guide/ achievement guide/ walkthrough I have seen. Plus they have almost no spoilers.

Prima guides usually are not worth the $20, and IGN is pretty vague when describing stuff.

But you are going about it the wrong way. Ofcourse the mods are going to sticky and eventually "publish" their guides. They worked hard to put the guides together and they have the power to do so.

I'm not upset about not getting stickied, I just don't want it locked because now I can't edit it. I have 1000 in the game, and I still was checking to see if anyone had any better input so I could continue to edit it in case I missed something. It looked like someone did find somerthing out, and I wanted to throw that in a description.

Also having my guide called "the same guide" is a bit misleading, when I did not include spoilers.

pined5551
05-23-2010, 11:17 AM
Webb's guide is probably still in the process of being completed as he no doubt has a shed load of things to do alongside it.

Then again, i agree that locking threads that are proving useful is a bit unecessary. People should always be allowed to choose when there are multiple options available.

Phrankus
05-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Tyger, just wanted to post here in appreciation of your guide. Flawless and effortless are indeed the correct words when using your guide! Expertly written, and easy to follow..not to mention spoiler-free, which is very important in such a story-driven game.

Sorry to hear you're having the trouble getting the appreciation your hard work deserves.

Tyger7
05-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Tyger, just wanted to post here in appreciation of your guide. Flawless and effortless are indeed the correct words when using your guide! Expertly written, and easy to follow..not to mention spoiler-free, which is very important in such a story-driven game.

Sorry to hear you're having the trouble getting the appreciation your hard work deserves.

Thanks Phrankus, I do it for you, not for them :) I appreciate your kind words regarding the subject. I don't think people realize it takes a lot of time and work. Coloring/bolding various collectibles took hours (I had to do it twice because of formating from Word to the threads). The collectible guide is an achievement guide in itself, because it describes every misable achievement too. You'd get kills/story stuff regardless, so I wrote the achievement guide because I wanted to have the tiles and everything look nice and link to the collectibles guide. I wasn't trying to compete, I did the hard part so why not throw in the easy part too? Guess this site hates me by now (well mods/admin).

Archvile78
05-23-2010, 12:12 PM
I do feel your guide should be stickied, no offense to webb but his guide is great but i prefer your as its, let's say, done more professionally with the color coding and just in overall the way its written.

I do hope whoever unstickied your guide will reconsider. Keep up the good work Tyger. :D

REN3GADE
05-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Having never even played this game, I went looking through the forums to see what people thought of it and stumbled across this thread...

I applaud you Tyger7, I have seen you contribute a lot to this site and I hope that your voice is heard. I would hate to see such a contributional member (& better guide composer) feel discouraged to the point of not wanting to contribute anymore and I hope the mods will appropriately handle your request...

Mister Buds
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
it seems to me like a couple of the mods here make a guide and automatically stick theirs because they have the power too. even when a lot of the time a regular user written guide is better. i've seen this happen on quite a few games here. i'll be using a guide for a new game for a couple days then all of a sudden that guide is gone and there's one written by a mod that just posted it today and already has it stickied. hmm, a little suspicious to me. i'm not going to use any names because i have nothing against the users i've seen do this. i just think it's unfair to those regular users that already made great guides.

now, i for one think that tyger writes amazing guides. hell, i wouldn't have stood a chance against splinter cell: conviction without all three of his. they were up before i even had the game so i don't know where this thing about someone submitting one first is coming from. his guide for this game (alan wake, if you don't know what forum you're in, lol) was just as awesome. i wish i had that chronological, color-coded, collectibles guide when i went through the game. could have saved me loads of hours.

ThePumpkinKing
05-23-2010, 02:56 PM
Because Webb runs the site, he does whatever the hell he wants. The fact that your guide was locked because he had already started his was complete bullshit. Considering that in any other case, multiple guides can and will be written. And the best of the lot chosen.

Apparently because he's the site administrator, his guides are perfect by default. Thus, it's pointless for anyone else to even bother. Maybe I'm a Chinese Jet Pilot. Maybe Diet does taste better than regular. Maybe the world really is flat.

More likely, his ego just couldn't deal with the idea of his guide being swept under the rug in favor of something better.

There are reasons why I don't waste any more of my valuable time contributing guides to this broken site.

jackanape
05-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I should have figured something like this would happen. Next thing I know my collectible guide will also be locked. Really Jakeanape, did you enjoy locking the thread and putting yourself down to that level? Did you not read the majority of people were against what happened, then you came and did the same thing to that thread!? This is absurd, go lock every thread that has multiple guides!

I didn't lock either of your guides - FACT. Did I lock a thread that was obviously going to cause trouble and arguments on the site? You can be sure that I did. If people want to get involved in petty arguments then they can take it elsewhere.

I'd also point out that, as I already said, you never at any point approached Webb and asked to contribute to his guide or to replace either of his guides with yours. That is just flat out rude in my opinion.

Jackanape you said

"We only ever have one guide stickied, and if that is not the case on other areas of the site then tell me where and I'll go and remove one of them. Other than that this thread is useless. "

Ok here's a list of just a few I found while searching recent games.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1335&order=desc&page=8 Red Dead

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1435
Jurassic The Hunted

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1294
Cloudy With A Chance of Meatballs

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1551
Dynasty Warriors Strikeforce

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1291
Dynasty Warriors Empires 6

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1156 Final Fantasy 13

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1403&order=desc&page=2 Aliens VS Predator

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1332
Mass Effect 2

Need I continue? You need to research the topic before you claim dominance. This was out 8 out of 10 guides I checked. One which was Metro was because a Mod wrote the guide, same as another. These listed didn't have a mod write them. I'm not trying to be a jerk but you have backed me into a corner for no reason at all.

Maybe you need to research a topic before you claim dominance on it. Out of all of those guides you have published only ONE has two guides actually 'stickied'. Most of the others don't even have two guides on the first page and, of those that do, the second guide is always written by yourself. What a shocker there - so you checked those threads by chance then?

I'm not upset about not getting stickied, I just don't want it locked because now I can't edit it. I have 1000 in the game, and I still was checking to see if anyone had any better input so I could continue to edit it in case I missed something. It looked like someone did find somerthing out, and I wanted to throw that in a description.

Also having my guide called "the same guide" is a bit misleading, when I did not include spoilers.

Again, you could have just contributed to Webb's guide at any point. If his guide was that terrible that it would need TOTALLY rewriting then that would be one thing, but if you have offered nothing really new at all then what exactly does your guide add?

If you had bothered to write a message to anyone explaining the situation and asking for your collectable guide to replace the exisiting one then that would be fine. Instead we have all of this drama for some reason and conspiracy theories.

If a regular member had written that initial guide then I would still find your approach incredibly rude. It is only common courtesy to approach the initial author surely?

Is your collectable guide good? Yes it is, hell maybe I'll even use it. But threads like this contribute nothing and your assumptions about the attitudes of the staff are way off the mark.

Webb
05-23-2010, 04:26 PM
So I spend 10 hours + writing a collectibles guide, and I should give joint credit for it?

It's all about credit. Me, me, me, me.

The guide you did was no better detailed than mine, yet you don't care that I spent 20 hours plus doing mine, you just assume your time is more valuable than mine. You sir have annoyed a lot of staff members over the last few months. Don't annoy this one as well.