PDA

View Full Version : How hard is Nightmare?

shizomac
05-23-2010, 08:18 PM
Just completed the game on Hard, and overall, it wasnt too bad.. but the ending pretty much just caused just confused me after I thought I understood everything, haha, so i figure that the Nightmare manuscripts will help shed some more light.. so im wondering how much difference there is between Hard and Nightmare difficulty?

Haseo22
05-23-2010, 08:37 PM
I just did half the game ( Nightmare ) in about 3hours, not hard, just run away of all fights ( except the forced one ) . Monster are highly resistant and not worth killing lol.

Gonna finish this game today and i have to agree lol the ending was an awesome bad trip for me!

metallicorphan
05-23-2010, 08:54 PM
not hard really,compared with some other games out there

i didn't really run away from that many fights,you just have to not go mad with your ammo,make sure yo go for the crates,whether you have the crate or not in a past playthrough

FWIW-the last level on nightmare was easier for me than on normal,because on normal i was going for the achievement to not shoot a weapon,and that made it a nightmare:)

Sean 94
05-23-2010, 09:29 PM
I beated Alan Wake yesterday on Nightmare. Wasn't too hard, just try to loot some chests on your way since they sometimes have very good loot in it, such as flashbangs and flares etc. Can't say anything else about it really other than that. Good luck !

shizomac
05-23-2010, 09:31 PM
Alright, good to know. haha, ill be sure to bob and weave some axe freaks.

Haseo22
05-23-2010, 09:39 PM
not hard really,compared with some other games out there

i didn't really run away from that many fights,you just have to not go mad with your ammo,make sure yo go for the crates,whether you have the crate or not in a past playthrough

FWIW-the last level on nightmare was easier for me than on normal,because on normal i was going for the achievement to not shoot a weapon,and that made it a nightmare:)

Yeah Running away is not necessary, it just make the playthrough a bit faster :p

Tyger7
05-23-2010, 09:59 PM

Lucky, I had to get that achievement on nightmare!

Crimson Ridley
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
The game becomes very easy after Episode 2 (Or 3), because you have flares. The first couple of levels are a bit worse, but nothing too difficult.

Red Testament
05-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Generally I don't care about beating games on the hardest difficulties. But since some of the manuscripts can only be found in Nightmare, I'm going to give it a try. I imagine I'm going to be doing a lot of running. I'm already dreading a few spots where I died in Normal.

Ozbaab
05-23-2010, 10:56 PM
Truth is, if you use the right tactics, it aint that hard to run.

If you drop a flare and keep running, enemies will hold up at the place you dropped the flare. Until new enemies comes ofc, then you can either drop a new flare or throw a flashbang

moontsuki
05-24-2010, 01:20 AM
Did Nightmare with ease, the only hard part for me was where you have to defend Lovers Peak with the kidnapper... Died a few times!

Pearson
05-24-2010, 02:27 AM
I got used to dropping flares and running while I was doing the "Gunless Wonder" and "Meet the Deadline" achievements. I too am dreading the places where I died a couple of times during my normal play through. To anyone who has Mass Effect 2, would you say that Nightmare mode is similar to ME2's Insanity mode? Also, are the ending achievements stackable? Because I still have to complete the game on Hard as well.

Roberoo
05-24-2010, 06:28 AM
The difficulties do stack so you can just go straight to nightmare. If you don't have flares, you can quickly spin around and focus your torch at a group of taken then get back to running. It'll force them to walk for a few moments giving you time to get a bigger gap.

Ozbaab
05-24-2010, 06:56 AM
I got used to dropping flares and running while I was doing the "Gunless Wonder" and "Meet the Deadline" achievements. I too am dreading the places where I died a couple of times during my normal play through. To anyone who has Mass Effect 2, would you say that Nightmare mode is similar to ME2's Insanity mode? Also, are the ending achievements stackable? Because I still have to complete the game on Hard as well.

ME2's Insanity is ALOT harder then Nightmare.
The difficulty cheevos are stackable yes!

Shaun_26
05-25-2010, 03:59 PM
The difficulties do stack so you can just go straight to nightmare. If you don't have flares, you can quickly spin around and focus your torch at a group of taken then get back to running. It'll force them to walk for a few moments giving you time to get a bigger gap.

haha yeah i have done that a few times, just quickly dodging an attack or turning my torch in there face when they are literally like a foot away.
but im already through the 1st n 2nd stage on Nightmare so hopefully the rest will be a breeze.
must say, the massive dudes with chainsaws take ages to drop with the torch, havnt been hit yet but im sure it would do big damage.

Frikeer
05-25-2010, 04:07 PM
Just finished my second playthrough and it is not especially hard. Had a little trouble close to the end but thats all.

Hitchman
05-25-2010, 05:20 PM
starting my Nightmare playthrough soon. I cant wait!!!!!

Pearson
05-26-2010, 01:56 AM

ME2's Insanity is ALOT harder then Nightmare.
The difficulty cheevos are stackable yes! Cool, thanks guys for answering. I'm glad that the difficulty achievements are stackable, as much as I like the game, I didn't want to play through both Hard and Nightmare difficulties. I want to go straight to Nightmare so I can get those last manuscript pages. Insanity in ME2 was a pain in the rear, I'm glad that Nightmare isn't as bad.

Ray5555
05-26-2010, 08:55 AM
Nightmare is easy, after Episode 2. That is when you get access to flares, then in Episode 3 you get the Flashbangs. From Episode 4 on it is cake walk. If you can tough out the first 3 episodes the rest of the game is cake walk. I just 1000/1000 for Alan Wake

Firegunbang
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM
Yeah, run from fights that seem like too much trouble - usually you can get away fine. It also helps knowing when and where the chapters end, so you can start using up all your ammo, considering that at the start of almost every episode they take everything away from you.

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
05-27-2010, 12:11 AM
After level 2 it's pretty much cake. Just flash bang everything and RUN!!!!

BrassBallz
05-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Yeah, I can't see fighting unless you absolutely have no choice.

CcAaRrSsOoNn3
05-27-2010, 05:11 PM
Cannot get through the bridge on level 6. Doh!

Pearson
05-29-2010, 01:42 AM
So far, my Nightmare run hasn't been too difficult and from what everyone is saying, it should get easier when I get flares and flashbangs. I have the flaregun now, but it seems that I can only find a flare at a time for it.

pined5551
05-29-2010, 01:50 AM
Lucky, I had to get that achievement on nightmare!

Well, you didn't HAVE too, you chose to, lol :p

After level 2 it's pretty much cake. Just flash bang everything and RUN!!!!

I have made it half way through chap 3 without much trouble, i find that i always get tired when sprinting really quick, somtimes i just cant run away. I have pretty much killed everything so far.

littlejay
05-29-2010, 03:45 AM
just finished it. got 1k in 3 days. pretty easy but really fun. ill wait for the dlc

infernoterrorize
05-29-2010, 07:36 AM
Nightmare isnt really hard at all. And if your running out of light items or cant find any then your doing something wrong. In episode 6 I was almost always maxed on all items. just run from fights that you dont care to be a part of. i saved all my items for parts where i knew it was gonna be a bitch to get through.

MattMoses
05-29-2010, 08:05 AM
It's not hard at all. I honestly found the earlier episodes harder than the later ones. The only time I really had any trouble was at the Anderson farm after defending the stage as I went silly with my ammo and had to restart. But really the later chapters are no problem thanks to the amount of flare guns and flashbangs available.

Chuckwagon00
06-01-2010, 05:13 AM
Nightmare difficulty was not too bad. I have definitely played other games that are much harder on the highest difficulty. Don't waste your ammo and master the dodge technique and and you'll finish it with relative ease.

Logan I
06-05-2010, 05:45 AM
I beat it yesterday on nightmare and it really isn't that difficult, enemies take about twice as much damage as compared to normal, and yes running is a great tactic when you can do it... combined with flares it is a very effective way to keep large groups of enemies away and allows you to keep moving until you reach a safe haven. The hardest part for me was in episode 4 when you are waiting for Barry to unlock the gate and you have to hold off a bunch of taken, I died a few times at that spot but other than that it was pretty easy for me to breeze through.

Edenstrife
06-06-2010, 05:17 AM
Useful thread. I was trying to judge how long Nightmare mode will take me so that I can finish it before I return it back to the store.

trublustuuk
06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Took me three days to do it on Nightmare and only cause of bits with loads of birds and lack of amo, otherwise I just ran from cover to cover lol

STARINFLAMES21
06-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Its really easy, I got to Episode 6 in a day and just left it at the bridge xD.

Red Testament
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
It's definitely gotten easier after Episode 2 now that I have flares and flashbangs. And the fact I know the ambush spots and what will happen next. Only 3 more episodes to go.