PDA

View Full Version : Paul Gray (Slipknot Bassist) found Dead

IanAHD
05-24-2010, 09:03 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140601

one fucked up year for heavy music :(

Tussell
05-24-2010, 09:14 PM
Was just about to post this. One of my favorite metal bands. Been listening to them since grade school.

R.I.P.

katesith
05-24-2010, 09:18 PM
What the fuck!!! This is not happening again!!! Last week ronnie james dio and now paul dedrick gray!!

NomoreNiceGuy
05-24-2010, 09:49 PM
Just saw it

Majica8
05-24-2010, 10:23 PM
This sucks. The last 6 months have sucked. Jeez :(

Noddlez
05-24-2010, 10:39 PM
I only like a few Slipknot songs, but It sucks that there is another great metal loss.

IanAHD
05-25-2010, 12:12 AM
sucks even more that his wife is pregnant with their child.

Pentexrx8
05-25-2010, 12:15 AM
Fuck. This sucks. Slipknot is my favorite band. I was hoping to see them again the next time they tour. Fucking drugs. Always taking people away from us.

At least he will live on in his music.

Herr Shaun
05-25-2010, 12:46 AM
Never liked Slipknot, but I know a lot of people who do, or did. Either way, that's a shame. RIP.

TVC613
05-25-2010, 01:36 AM
This sucks... last year or so has been brutal to music in general, but it seems as if metal is getting an even shittier end of the stick. Either way, a fucking shame.

laundryman
05-25-2010, 02:13 AM
Not the biggest fan of Slipknot, but I can surely respect them. What a shame.

R.I.P.

Massa Siggy
05-25-2010, 02:21 AM
Damn, people are keeling over left and right. Hell, I didn't even know Dio died.

That's pretty lame, even though I never really liked Slipknot, a death's still a death.

Burning Karma
05-25-2010, 02:35 AM
sucks even more that his wife is pregnant with their child.
Indeed. That makes it worse. R.I.P., Paul Gray.

Time to cue up some Slipknot in tribute.

ApochWeiss
05-25-2010, 03:47 AM
Word is it was due to drugs or suicide. Hope the guy rests in peace but if it's one of those two, sadly I won't shed a tear. Actually, now from this thread I'll be absolutely fuming. Leaving a wife and kid. If it's medical, well that sucks, and it sucks he died at a young age, so don't get me wrong. RIP either way.

DOOKH8R
05-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Now is this the dude in the Burger King commercials wearing those chicken and rooster masks singing about chicken fries?

A ZombieTwinkie
05-25-2010, 07:24 AM
I heard about this earlier on Facebook from some friends. But you know you can never trust anyone on FB anymore, haha.

But this does suck. I've been listening to Slipknot back when they dropped Mate. Feed. Kill. Repeat. with vocalist Anders Colsefini - I was so glad when they picked up Corey Taylor. This is just a horrible year for Metal. Makes you wonder who's next.

R.I.P. Paul.

Agent Aero
05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
He's probably one of the only famous people who died this year who i actually care about. No disrespect to the families who have lost anyone but R.I.P Paul.

elephantd
05-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Paul was a crazy man. I remember him hitting a tree with his BMW at high speeds, with signs of drug use. he has been in and out of emergncy rooms, missing some conerts and what not. I loved Slipknot at one point in my life, It's sad to see a member die. I will be shocked if this isn't heart related or cocaine related, the man did love his cocaine/drugs.

B1GM13
05-25-2010, 07:40 AM
This is horrible news :(

what is happening to metal this year :(

so happy i finally saw them at download last year. ..

RIP Gray!

:(

Murdok1
05-25-2010, 07:12 PM
Sad news.
RIP Paul!

Blah 2k
05-25-2010, 07:29 PM
R.I.P :(

"I push my fingers into my... Eyes. It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache..."

Muffin the Holy
05-25-2010, 07:40 PM
Never was a big fan of Slipknot. They have a few good tunes here and there, but I was never impressed. Anyway, RIP, all the same.

BedCommando
05-25-2010, 07:47 PM
I laughed at this. I remember when Dio died, everyone was thinking "Why DIO? Why not some Metal poser?"
Karma has a funny way of dealing with things. Shame it wasn't Corey though.

Kairi
05-25-2010, 08:00 PM
Thats terrible! :(

RIP!!!

Tussell
05-25-2010, 08:47 PM
Now is this the dude in the Burger King commercials wearing those chicken and rooster masks singing about chicken fries?
No, in fact, Slipknot got very pissed off about that commercial. Even filed a lawsuit if I remember correctly.

R.I.P :(

"I push my fingers into my... Eyes. It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache..."
You would bring lyrics from one of their worst CD's into the thread. Not to mention, one of their most overplayed, milked, and annoying songs. -10 points for you.

Majica8
05-25-2010, 11:20 PM
I am really regretting not going to see Slipknot on their last UK tour. I had the chance to go, my cousin had a spare ticket....I turned it down :(

Also:
I laughed at this. I remember when Dio died, everyone was thinking "Why DIO? Why not some Metal poser?"
Why is it ok for this person to basically say they wish Corey was dead, but it's not ok for me to have a problem with that?

dm master
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
My fave band ever.. At least i can take solace in that i managed to see them at download. Was the first time and it was incredible..

I hope it doesnt mean the end for them but hey whatever happens does...

You would bring lyrics from one of their worst CD's into the thread. Not to mention, one of their most overplayed, milked, and annoying songs. -10 points for you.

I happen to love that song and whole album. I wouldnt be able to choose their "best album" because i like pretty much every one of their albums and songs. And its hardly the songs fault its overplayed.

Why is it ok for this person to basically say they wish Corey was dead, but it's not ok for me to have a problem with that?

I have a problem with it too. Wishing someone you havent ever met dead is a pretty messed up thing to do. Also laughing at the death of someone, knowing that it has caused many people pain is just fucked up too.

If anyone wants to watch this i found it earlier: http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/uncategorized/slipknots-paul-gray-press-conference/

And read this: http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/tribute-to-slipknots-paul-gray

They're both pretty damn touching.

Tussell
05-26-2010, 10:45 PM
I thought it was weird that all the members didn't speak. I really think they rightfully should have all had something to say.

Crimson Ridley
05-26-2010, 11:38 PM

Even though my life is pretty crappy, I'm thankful that's it's not quite as pathetic as your existence. I'm happy that you laughed at the death of somebody, a human being who also happens to be far more talented than yourself, and I'm happy that you posted about it, to let the world know what kind of a person you are.

Shame it wasn't Corey? Hmm, I was thinking of another name...

R.I.P Paul.

Joker0fLife
05-27-2010, 02:15 AM

R.I.P Paul.

Ditto...I wonder what they're going to do now that The Nine is only eight.....and I also hope his death doesn't start a chain reaction with other members of the band...

R.I.P. #2 Paul Gray

I thought it was weird that all the members didn't speak. I really think they rightfully should have all had something to say. They probably couldn't keep their emotion held in enough to speak straight, seeing as how the rest truly had a hard time getting their sympathies out

BedCommando
05-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Even though my life is pretty crappy, I'm thankful that's it's not quite as pathetic as your existence. I'm happy that you laughed at the death of somebody, a human being who also happens to be far more talented than yourself, and I'm happy that you posted about it, to let the world know what kind of a person you are.

R.I.P Paul.
Last time I checked, I didn't go around the world fooling people into thinking I was something I wasn't. I hate posers.

elephantd
05-27-2010, 05:12 AM
Ditto...I wonder what they're going to do now that The Nine is only eight.....and I also hope his death doesn't start a chain reaction with other members of the band...

R.I.P. #2 Paul Gray

Seeing Shawn was thinking about leaving and slipknot said they would never tour without a member. They may hang up the masks.

mike eppenbro
05-27-2010, 06:51 AM
Dio, now Paul Gray?!

Why couldn't this shit have happened to Bret Michaels? What is wrong with the world?

mike eppenbro
05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
But in all seriousness, Slipknot is the band that got me into heavy music, way back in 6th grade.
And I almost shed a tear watching that press conference. Being in a band myself, I cannot even fathom losing someone I love and play music with. It's understandable that some of the members were at a loss for words.

RIP!

SynysterChris
05-27-2010, 10:48 AM
Last time I checked, I didn't go around the world fooling people into thinking I was something I wasn't. I hate posers.

Sorry but who was fooling people into thinking they were something they were not?

And on topic R.I.P Paul Grey you will be missed. Slipknot got me into the heavier side of metal.

Crimson Ridley
05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Sorry but who was fooling people into thinking they were something they were not?

I thought this too, I wasn't sure if he meant Corey, Paul or myself. :/

ApochWeiss
05-27-2010, 05:15 PM
Anyone ever find out exactly what happened? Drugs? Suicide? Health complications? Anything?

Burning Karma
05-27-2010, 05:40 PM
Anyone ever find out exactly what happened? Drugs? Suicide? Health complications? Anything?
I think it is still under investigation.

BedCommando
05-27-2010, 06:29 PM

And on topic R.I.P Paul Grey you will be missed. Slipknot got me into the heavier side of metal.

You must have not paid attention to many of Slipknot's interviews when they state they're 1) A metal band,and 2) They make the most brutal music.
Considering Slipknot aren't a part of the Metal genre, that's called being a poser.
The biggest jerkoff known to state such things is of course Corey, which is why I said he's the one that should have died, as he blabs on the most.

mike eppenbro
05-27-2010, 06:48 PM

I don't think they found out exactly what happened, but it's being reported that a bottle of pills and a hypodermic needle were found in the hotel room.

http://www.tmz.com/2010/05/26/slipknot-bassist-911-death-scene-hypodermic-needle-pills-paul-gray/

Muffin the Holy
05-27-2010, 07:08 PM
You must have not paid attention to many of Slipknot's interviews when they state they're 1) A metal band,and 2) They make the most brutal music.
Considering Slipknot aren't a part of the Metal genre, that's called being a poser.
The biggest jerkoff known to state such things is of course Corey, which is why I said he's the one that should have died, as he blabs on the most.

So just because someone is a douche means that they deserve to die or should die in place of people?

Seems like your logic may have turned on you.

And also, the metal genre is a broad as J Lo's ass. I believe Slipknot could be classified in some sort of metal genre. They came along in the NWOAHM era.

Coxy x360a
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
Its not nice when anyone is found dead. I'm not a fan of Slipknot anymore, but its not nice to hear anyone has died.

Till
05-27-2010, 07:12 PM
I've just heard this news and i'm not sure if they know the cause yet or not. Sure is a tragedy.

RIP Paul

BedCommando
05-27-2010, 08:57 PM
So just because someone is a douche means that they deserve to die or should die in place of people?

Seems like your logic may have turned on you.

And also, the metal genre is a broad as J Lo's ass. I believe Slipknot could be classified in some sort of metal genre. They came along in the NWOAHM era.
Not just a douche, an influential douche.
Also, if anything fits the genre of NWOAHM (If it even existed, which it doesn't), it's more along the lines of DevilDriver. Slipknot have a sub-genre, Nu-Metal, which is a sub-genre of Rock, right under Shock Rock, it's biggest influence.

SynysterChris
05-27-2010, 09:07 PM
Not just a douche, an influential douche.
Also, if anything fits the genre of NWOAHM (If it even existed, which it doesn't), it's more along the lines of DevilDriver. Slipknot have a sub-genre, Nu-Metal, which is a sub-genre of Rock, right under Shock Rock, it's biggest influence.

I always thought that Slipknot was thrash metal? Though I could be wrong, they are or were kinda of thrashy with their older stuff.

BedCommando
05-27-2010, 09:10 PM
I always thought that Slipknot was thrash metal? Though I could be wrong, they are or were kinda of thrashy with their older stuff.
Thrash is more like Metallica's older stuff, Slayer, Megadeth, Kreator, and especially Testament. If you want Thrash, those bands are the defining, and better bands in the sub-genre.

Tussell
05-28-2010, 06:42 PM
Slipknot is far from thrash! LMFAO!

Check out Municipal Waste if you want some nice thrash.

Joker0fLife
05-28-2010, 06:59 PM
Update on how Gray died: It was indeed of a drug overdose.

Back in the day they were Nu-Metal. They do have some hints of Industrial Metal by the sound of their drums back then, but now they are simply Nu-metal/Heavy Metal.