PDA

View Full Version : How did you interpret the ending? *SPOILER*

Shadowfan789
05-24-2010, 09:41 PM
For the past couple of days, I've been trying to figure out this game and it's ending. I've listened to every radio broadcast, listened to the characters, and took in all the info from the Limited Collector's Edition, and I've even watched every tv show (although the Night Springs shows were extremely weird and sometimes unimportant), and I still don't understand the ending.

The last line "It's not a lake, it's an ocean." What the heck does that mean? I thought I understood the ending until I got to that part. Then, when you hear Alice, or a voice that sounds like Alice, say "Alan, wake up", just like she did when she woke you up on the ferry, I have NO IDEA what's happening. Was it all a dream? Will this DLC episode give me the answers I want or will it only open new ones?

Talk here how you interpreted the ending, or any part of the game, because I would like to hear your versions of the events.

iKiddo
05-24-2010, 11:17 PM
We left this open to milk it later.

Seriously CLOSE a story driven game upon finishing the game.

Chuppernicus
05-25-2010, 12:18 AM
How about asking that here:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=229041

?

Shadowfan789
05-25-2010, 03:44 PM
I know that they left the story open to later dlc, but the creators have said that they felt the ending was closure enough. The ending was NOT closure and in fact, it was probably the weakest part of the whole game. Remedy... you had a lot of time to work on this... you should have finished it right.

iKiddo
05-25-2010, 06:57 PM
I know that they left the story open to later dlc, but the creators have said that they felt the ending was closure enough. The ending was NOT closure and in fact, it was probably the weakest part of the whole game. Remedy... you had a lot of time to work on this... you should have finished it right.

Yes exactly. Its obviously left for a sequel as too much interpretation is there.

The DLC could always be showing you it from a different characters perspective.

Or even the days of Tom.

Heck even that old lady or the Viking Metalers or that detective that chases Alan.

Too much that could be done better than extra story for Alan.

Zenth Forbias
05-25-2010, 08:22 PM
Well, seeing as how this game is 'Season 1' and 'The Signal' is a bridge between 'Season 1' and 'Season 2', There's a lot more left to be explained.

If you ask me, Alan said something about when writing a horror story, not even the main character survives" or something along that line. He also said something about Cause and Effect. You see his wife there, but no Alan. Perhaps, while Alan was writing the last page, we wrote himself someplace else which caused Alice to surface.

I guarantee you that we will not see the end of Alan. I think that Remedy did a fine job on this ending because they did it in they 'TV Show' kind of style they were aiming at. The end of a season is often a HUGE cliffhanger that keeps people wondering 'What happened? What's going to happen" Remedy seems to have done that well.

iKiddo
05-25-2010, 08:27 PM
Well, seeing as how this game is 'Season 1' and 'The Signal' is a bridge between 'Season 1' and 'Season 2', There's a lot more left to be explained.

If you ask me, Alan said something about when writing a horror story, not even the main character survives" or something along that line. He also said something about Cause and Effect. You see his wife there, but no Alan. Perhaps, while Alan was writing the last page, we wrote himself someplace else which caused Alice to surface.

I guarantee you that we will not see the end of Alan. I think that Remedy did a fine job on this ending because they did it in they 'TV Show' kind of style they were aiming at. The end of a season is often a HUGE cliffhanger that keeps people wondering 'What happened? What's going to happen" Remedy seems to have done that well.

Something from Stephen King and the writer Tom wrote. Its obviously open for a sequel so that they can milk the story. In maybe 5 years time I won't be giving a damn about the sequel if they make one. I would have completely forgot about it.

They REALLY should have finished it properly. No loose ends. Close them all off. And then use DLC to explore the stories of other people.

Ardocc
05-25-2010, 08:38 PM
Something from Stephen King and the writer Tom wrote. Its obviously open for a sequel so that they can milk the story. In maybe 5 years time I won't be giving a damn about the sequel if they make one. I would have completely forgot about it.

They REALLY should have finished it properly. No loose ends. Close them all off. And then use DLC to explore the stories of other people.

I respectfully disagree. This ending have made me think, dive deeper into the story and form theories that none other have. It's so cleverly made i'm going apeshit over all the questions I need answered. Some might be, and some will never be. That's the charm about a well told story like this. It leaves alot to your own imagination and Sherlock Holmes-like deducting capabilities.

But yes, they need to "close" this story this year, even if it's a vague one. As you're saying, in 5 years this will be a quite faint memory. (But a dear one!)

Chuppernicus
05-25-2010, 11:39 PM

What is "properly" ending it?
I think maybe some gamers are mad because they don't understand the ending and deep down they feel a bit stupid? Maybe they feel they aren't quite smart enough to figure it out. The pieces are there but they cant make sense of them. Who knows?

I am like that in a way except, I dont feel stupid nor am I mad. I dont quite get it. I'm fine with that. I'm not angry at the writer or think the story was bad because they didnt patronize me Scooby Doo style at the end. I like the questions that are raised. I like the possiblity of more story, of being able to maybe dive deaper into the history of the darkness. I also wont feel "milked" either when and if another Alan Wake comes out with a continuation of this story. I want the guy to find a way to escape the darkness and rejoin Alice.

iKiddo
05-26-2010, 12:10 AM
I respectfully disagree. This ending have made me think, dive deeper into the story and form theories that none other have. It's so cleverly made i'm going apeshit over all the questions I need answered. Some might be, and some will never be. That's the charm about a well told story like this. It leaves alot to your own imagination and Sherlock Holmes-like deducting capabilities.

But yes, they need to "close" this story this year, even if it's a vague one. As you're saying, in 5 years this will be a quite faint memory. (But a dear one!)

Yes that is what I am on about. Closing it fully. Don't just leave us hanging with a silly cliffhanger. Hes either dead or alive. His wife is left stranded regardless. I believe also the stuff that is only there because of the clicker is still there.

What is "properly" ending it?
I think maybe some gamers are mad because they don't understand the ending and deep down they feel a bit stupid? Maybe they feel they aren't quite smart enough to figure it out. The pieces are there but they cant make sense of them. Who knows?

I am like that in a way except, I dont feel stupid nor am I mad. I dont quite get it. I'm fine with that. I'm not angry at the writer or think the story was bad because they didnt patronize me Scooby Doo style at the end. I like the questions that are raised. I like the possiblity of more story, of being able to maybe dive deaper into the history of the darkness. I also wont feel "milked" either when and if another Alan Wake comes out with a continuation of this story. I want the guy to find a way to escape the darkness and rejoin Alice.

See its just TOO open. I don't mind things being open but when its left wide open it is just silly. A lot of it is open to interpretation etc but the thing is, Did Alan survive or did he die? I mean its a story through the majorty of the game anyway.

Also not closing it properly gives me sad thoughts for the dlc. You have great characters you can do so much with but they are focusing it all on Alan. I hope within the DLC they either properly close it or announce the un needed obvious cash in sequel. The story is the best thing about this game and the way its left .. Yeah.

Zenth Forbias
05-26-2010, 04:49 AM
Who knows, Maybe there is something in that 'Alan Wake Files' book that came in Collector's Edition. I have it, just haven't had a chance to read through it yet. I'll let you know. But there have been countless games that don't close out fully worse than this. Heck, even TV shows and movies do that COUGHLOSTCOUGH..... It's a way to keep you thinking and keep you drawn in and want to buy the sequel. I don't think It'll take 5 years for the next one to come out though.

Ardocc
05-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes that is what I am on about. Closing it fully. Don't just leave us hanging with a silly cliffhanger. Hes either dead or alive. His wife is left stranded regardless. I believe also the stuff that is only there because of the clicker is still there.

With the two upcoming DLC's I sure hope for closure, but.. I still want some mysteries to remain unexplained :)

Like how the hell Hartman and Mott got a hold of Alices drivers license!

Shadowfan789
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
I"m fine with a cliffhanger on the end of a tv show because I know that (unless it gets canceled *cough*KyleXY*cough*) then the next year the show will be back up and running. With a game like this, they took a really long time to back this game. The DLC coming out could answer some questions, but unless they keep the DLC episodes continuously coming, not making us wait a year or so in between each one, then I"ll be fine.

For instance, Rock Band promised to release more dlc than anyone ever, and they have done that through weekly dlc packages. Every week, you know that Rock Band will have some new type of track pack or album, or something. If Remedy does something like this, gives a schedule for the upcoming DLC and releases them accordingly, then I will be fine with it. It all depends on how Remedy plans to attack it.

TorrentialTyler
05-26-2010, 07:41 PM
With the two upcoming DLC's I sure hope for closure, but.. I still want some mysteries to remain unexplained :)

I was wondering that exact same thing. Mott said they never had her so how in the hell did they end up with it? But Hartman did seem to know an awful lot about the darkness & it's powers.

But my interpretation is how at the end it says "It's not a lake, it's an ocean." I think it means that the darkness spread further than just Alan & the lake. Because at the end you see Rose holding a lantern & Nightingale in a dark room through a window behind her. How did he get there after the darkness grabbed him through the door? And what about Mr. Scratch, the clone? How Zane said his friends would meet him when he was gone? Also, what happened to Alice after she emerged from the lake? And if you watched the Alan Wake prequel episodes it was obviously effecting Lake too.

I just can't wait to see what happens next, there's just so many ways it could end.

toxictaz
05-27-2010, 03:38 AM
i think the "it's not a lake, its a ocean." is him being consumed by the darkness and becoming evil.

im not a big fan of the DLC thing anymore. i wish they would just forget dlc and make a sequel. defiantly leaves it open for a sequel which i like and should stay that way. just not milk it for a lil extra cash to make a 30 min segment. not even a forth of the game. other characters dlc wouldn't be that bad because i kinda crave the game play. enless they pull another non 1250.
:uzi:1090, 1500, 1100, 1750, 705, 970, 1350, 1550, 1200.

DarqStalker
05-27-2010, 03:52 AM
I was wondering that exact same thing. Mott said they never had her so how in the hell did they end up with it? But Hartman did seem to know an awful lot about the darkness & it's powers.

But my interpretation is how at the end it says "It's not a lake, it's an ocean." I think it means that the darkness spread further than just Alan & the lake. Because at the end you see Rose holding a lantern & Nightingale in a dark room through a window behind her. How did he get there after the darkness grabbed him through the door? And what about Mr. Scratch, the clone? How Zane said his friends would meet him when he was gone? Also, what happened to Alice after she emerged from the lake? And if you watched the Alan Wake prequel episodes it was obviously effecting Lake too.

I just can't wait to see what happens next, there's just so many ways it could end.

I agree with these interpretations as well.

Also, what happens to Alan after he dives into the lake at the end? And what is Alice going to do after she emerged and is sitting there next to the broken bridge? Will we be playing Alice in part 2, trying to save Alan? That's what I'm thinking right now. And the whole It's not a like, it's an ocean thing... I felt it as a hint or foreshadowing as to what is in part 2. He jumped into the lake, then you see him reading what he wrote on the manuscript. So maybe he dove into the water, found out it's not a lake after all... but an ocean... Opens up part 2 to be a huge game.

Pearson
05-27-2010, 05:38 AM
I have one simple theory, Alan sacrificed himself to save Alice. That probably isn't what it really means, but at least to me that is my take on it.

iKiddo
05-27-2010, 09:36 AM

It's whats annoyed me the most. You have so many characters whos side story we could explore instead of being stuck with Alan again. You have Tom, Barry, The crazy light lady etc etc such a long list of people who have a good side story ... Even the old viking guys!

Ooyah
05-27-2010, 11:57 AM
One thing that struck me though... I don't think that Alan was real.

If I understood correctly... Zane wrote a loop hole into his story... the shoe box. In the shoe box was the clicker, which Alan's mother gave to him. How did Zane know that? I think that Zane wrote of Alan's birth, and even of his becoming a writer, and his writer's block, and every thing else up to his arrival at the lake.

At the end, Alan looks zoned out, and he is still writing. Maybe he will stay there writing in an attempt to keep the darkness at bay.

So... maybe Alan really existed... but I feel that he was a fictional creation of Zane's, made real. If that makes sense.

Shadowfan789
05-27-2010, 01:00 PM

If I understood correctly... Zane wrote a loop hole into his story... the shoe box. In the shoe box was the clicker, which Alan's mother gave to him. How did Zane know that? I think that Zane wrote of Alan's birth, and even of his becoming a writer, and his writer's block, and every thing else up to his arrival at the lake.

At the end, Alan looks zoned out, and he is still writing. Maybe he will stay there writing in an attempt to keep the darkness at bay.

So... maybe Alan really existed... but I feel that he was a fictional creation of Zane's, made real. If that makes sense.

Dang... I never really thought of it this way. Although, I highly doubt it.

And for the people who want the spin-offs of other characters. While they might be a nice thought... the game is called Alan Wake so I find it hard to believe that the action would stay off of the main character for too long. What I would like to see though is Zane's side of the story. What Barbara Jagger used to be and maybe the origins of all this. He could also open the story up more in the sense that he wrote about Alan (hence the shoebox and the clicker), so he might be able to tell us more about Alan and what happened.

For the side character idea of going back and playing as the viking guys, or crazy light lady, I think that this could be a good idea... if done correctly. Maybe have flashbacks at times and you can live just a small piece of their adventure and learn where they first saw the darkness or their biggest battle with the darkness. Could be a fun idea.

Awesome Tree
05-27-2010, 01:10 PM
Defeat the Dark Presence with hammers and the power of rock.

Ardocc
05-27-2010, 04:52 PM

I've got the official survival guide or whatever it's called, and in a chapter of Remedy themselves pose the question "Is Alan a creation of Zane's, or is Zane a figment of Wake's imagination" .. So yeah, even Remedy give's us a hint that this might be the case.

Other theories about Zane being Alans father.. Well, could be. The clicker originated from Alans father (Alans mother told him she got it from his father, to imbue the talisman with all possible power), that's how Zane would know about it. And that Alan never knew his father? Well, Zane wrote himself out of the story, that's how Alan couldn't remember.

But then again, that makes a hell of a loose end with Barbara, since she kinda would have to be Alans mother. But her name was Linda Wake. Might've been an old girlfriend of Tom's, who knows.

Shadowfan789
05-28-2010, 01:47 AM
I highly doubt that Zane is Alan's dad, although the points that Ardocc brought up are plausible. This story is a deep thought provoker and think it's our best guess until the dlc comes out.

Ooyah
05-28-2010, 07:41 AM
I've got the official survival guide or whatever it's called, and in a chapter of Remedy themselves pose the question "Is Alan a creation of Zane's, or is Zane a figment of Wake's imagination" .. So yeah, even Remedy give's us a hint that this might be the case.

Other theories about Zane being Alans father.. Well, could be. The clicker originated from Alans father (Alans mother told him she got it from his father, to imbue the talisman with all possible power), that's how Zane would know about it. And that Alan never knew his father? Well, Zane wrote himself out of the story, that's how Alan couldn't remember.

But then again, that makes a hell of a loose end with Barbara, since she kinda would have to be Alans mother. But her name was Linda Wake. Might've been an old girlfriend of Tom's, who knows.

Some very interesting stuff there!!! I keep thinking about it a lot, but just can't get past the fact that Zane knew about the clicker. The father theory is certainly an intriguing one... but, yeah, would give a problem with Barbara, especially considering that Wake sees her during the game.

Could be an idea that Wake created Zane, and as such it would be easier to explain the presence of the clicker, but I am not sure how much sense that would make otherwise.

Certainly a lot to think about! Can't say that about many games, sadly!

littlejay
05-28-2010, 04:01 PM
"beneath the lake lies an ocean" or something like that. it's what the light says at the start of the game. so it makes sense but we are still missing lots of info :p