PDA

View Full Version : Matsuzaka is overrated...

Shaaady Souljah
04-06-2007, 06:20 AM
or maybe i should say overhyped. he is good, don't get me wrong. but he sure gets the benefit of the doubt more so than others...

they are saying his debut was the best by a rookie in 30 years... are you kidding? first of all, he was playing the royals. 2nd of all, his offense gave him an early lead to calm him down, which he almost gave up twice. he gave up a homer to their lead off man of all people. he did have good control-10 Ks vs 1 BB-but again, its the royals. his velocity is average at best--most of his fastballs were between 88-92 mph. he leaves a lot of balls up and will give up a lot of homers...he gave the royals one.

Dwight Gooden, Kerry Wood, Johan Santana, Justin Verlander, Randy Johnson. i can name off a lot more memorable impressive debuts off the top of my head...

maybe i am being too harsh since it was his first start over here. i guess i will wait til he plays the yankees, or at least a team that can somewhat hit, to make a final decision on him...

what do you all think?

SteelerXBox360
04-06-2007, 05:57 PM
I agree. This guy has some fancy-named pitches and is all hype IMHO. One start does not make or break anyone and this was not the best start in the last 30 yrs, are you kidding me...

He is just the flavor of the moment and can only be judged after a full season but watch, they might keep running him out there in advantageous situations like against weak teams, etc. to get his stock up or at least keep it up there...

But as you said, he did have good control but it was against one of the weakest teams in all of baseball, so you can't read too much into it...

Shaaady Souljah
04-06-2007, 11:07 PM
the next batter he faces: Ichiro.

mlb is all about the money. you know they asked the red sox to make the rotation have him throw against ichiro. that covers every fan in japan in one way or another... smart move. i am kind of curious to see how it goes, but it is just another game. imagine if they made a big deal every time a pitcher from the dominican republic faced a batter from there... ;) thats probably ever game.

once teams see him for the 3rd, 4th, 5th times this year, i think we will finally get a feel for how good he will be.

messym
04-07-2007, 03:47 AM
I agree there has been a lot of hype surrounding Dice-K. From what I have read about him and seen in spring training the guy is pretty nasty...He throws at least 7 different kinds of pitches all w/ control and said that the more pitches he throws in a game the better he feels. I read in the last week's SI that he pitched 17 innings and threw over 200 pitches in one game, closed the next day, and then pitched another complete game the day after that. The guy doesn't even ice his arm after games and practiced by throwing pretty much every day before Francona told him to lay off. I don't know if he'll be the next Clemens or Johnson but he showed a lot of promise for someone who never played in the majors. Granted he gave up a homer but, the guy stuck out 10 guys and left the game b/c Francona pulled him. During his post game he reiterated that he felt stronger the more that he pitched in the game so he probably would have stuck out a few more guys if he had to. I think that its too early to tell how good he will be and we'll certainly find b/c he will be facing tough American League lineups this year. As for the Yankees thing, you have to realize that even the best pitchers in baseball get lit up by them. Their whole line up is an all star team. Just my piece..

Shaaady Souljah
04-07-2007, 04:06 PM
you make a lot of good points. he will hopefully face the yankees at least 3 times this year, so we will see how good he really is...

Johan Santana, for one, always holds the yankees to about 2 runs a game. Same with Pedro when he used to play them. And Schilling/Johnson in their prime.

So, if he does not get totally lit up, I will say he is ok. If he gets rocked, he is average. And if he only allows 1 or 2 runs each time, then he is definitely going to be in elite company one day.

Cyrex
04-07-2007, 05:30 PM
ok while im from "bahstin"....... (its boston for you retards who can't understand the joke) so im a little bit on his side.

anyways i think he is the real deal, anyone who can come to the major leagues and pitch 7 good innings with 1 run, 1 hit and 10k's is the real deal, he is the matsui of pitching in japan, and he gets those exact averages every single game , except the innings because he wants to pitch 10 CG this year so that might be a little low.

and as see on the front page of the boston globe

Dice KKKKKKKKKK

messym
04-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Santana is a proven commodity and I for one would love to have him. I'd trade either one of our aces Schilling or Beckett straight up for him