PDA

View Full Version : Piano/Keyboard peripheral in Rock Band 3

mikachu93
05-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Seems people have taken notice, but since there are no threads, I'll be the first to make one. :D

Not sure exactly how it's gonna work, but the Green Day Rock Band demo was released today, and the splash screen at the very end of the demo gives a hint towards the inclusion of what a lot of players have been asking for for years now: a piano/keyboard peripheral!

Nothing was spoken by Harmonix about the new instrument yet, but you can see the screen in the links below. (I took a picture of it myself, but it's just as blurry as the first link, so no sense in posting it.)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j34/jburton90/49cfba7d.jpg
http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/itzJV/RB3-INSTRUMENTLOGO.jpg
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs338.ash1/29081_400726639694_138570299694_4004339_2574475_n. jpg

Spoony Bard
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I saw this too. Bring on The Doors!

ReaLiStiiC
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
This is going to be awesome. Now they can do a much wider song selection :D I always liked the keyboard/piano idea more then drums, and easier on the ankles :P

zeroway21
05-26-2010, 05:14 PM
MORE DREAM THEATER!!! YESS!!:woop::drunk

mikachu93
05-26-2010, 06:32 PM
This is going to be awesome. Now they can do a much wider song selection :D I always liked the keyboard/piano idea more then drums, and easier on the ankles :P
Only problem is this is going to severely limit the on-disc selection. Every song on every Rock Band disc (not DLC) features every instrument, with the exception of Good Riddance by Green Day. Unless Harmonix has some kind of workaround so players can still be present in a band when they're not playing (i.e., vocalists not having to back out if YYZ is selected), this could end up being almost as crippling as interesting.

preppypoof
05-27-2010, 12:00 AM
Only problem is this is going to severely limit the on-disc selection. Every song on every Rock Band disc (not DLC) features every instrument, with the exception of Good Riddance by Green Day. Unless Harmonix has some kind of workaround so players can still be present in a band when they're not playing (i.e., vocalists not having to back out if YYZ is selected), this could end up being almost as crippling as interesting.
i wholeheartedly agree. it's really annoying to set up a long setlist and not be able to pick certain songs.

Sampson
05-27-2010, 01:49 AM
Cool! I like to play the piano. Rock Band piano edition!! That'll be awesome.

Noisy Neighbour
05-27-2010, 02:37 AM
An incredibly simple way around the problem, would be that on any song pre rockband 3 that didnt have piano parts, the pianist would simply play the guitar parts in a slightly altered state (through a very easy piece of coding, probabaly through a patch).

Iconoclast
05-27-2010, 03:20 PM
With the addition of a keyboard, I really hope they release some Keane. :)

Volzagia
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Dont Stop Believing by Journey better be on there seriously! Would be awesome :p

mikachu93
05-27-2010, 06:46 PM
An incredibly simple way around the problem, would be that on any song pre rockband 3 that didnt have piano parts, the pianist would simply play the guitar parts in a slightly altered state (through a very easy piece of coding, probabaly through a patch).
I thought about how they would go about this and went in the same direction as you, but realistically speaking, it would be incredibly difficult to update all 1500 or so songs (not including the Rock Band Network).

Iconoclast
05-27-2010, 07:19 PM
Dont Stop Believing by Journey better be on there seriously! Would be awesome :p

Don't Stop Believing is already available as DLC >.<

Noisy Neighbour
05-27-2010, 10:16 PM
I thought about how they would go about this and went in the same direction as you, but realistically speaking, it would be incredibly difficult to update all 1500 or so songs (not including the Rock Band Network).

But thats what im saying, you dont need to update the songs. At most you need a couple lines of code.

One that tells the game that if the song doesnt have a piano part then display the guitar notes.

And another one that tells the game to interpret certain notes/chords as something more pianoey.

Deliver it in a patch and your sorted.

sabin666
05-28-2010, 03:21 PM
that sounds pretty awesome. + they have the 3 singer from RB beatle system so it would be a blast online or in a party =D. I'm just wondering how many buttons there will be?

mikachu93
05-28-2010, 06:27 PM
that sounds pretty awesome. + they have the 3 singer from RB beatle system so it would be a blast online or in a party =D. I'm just wondering how many buttons there will be?
Absolutely no idea. No information has been released yet.

However, harmonies can't be played online, unless Harmonix seriously changed things up this time around.

preppypoof
06-02-2010, 10:02 PM
this news is a few days old, but nobody else has posted it, so here goes...there is a very high likelihood of the "piano/keyboard" being implemented as a keytar [source (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/exclusive-rock-band-3-brings-keytar-new-pro-mode.ars)]

mikachu93
06-02-2010, 10:55 PM
this news is a few days old, but nobody else has posted it, so here goes...there is a very high likelihood of the "piano/keyboard" being implemented as a keytar [source (http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/05/exclusive-rock-band-3-brings-keytar-new-pro-mode.ars)]
I've seen this on a few sites. I don't care who this Mole is, if I don't know where he's getting his information (because every site I've seen so far just assumes we're going to accept these rumors as facts and don't name any of the Mole's sources), it's nothing more than speculation.

preppypoof
06-03-2010, 06:35 PM
I've seen this on a few sites. I don't care who this Mole is, if I don't know where he's getting his information (because every site I've seen so far just assumes we're going to accept these rumors as facts and don't name any of the Mole's sources), it's nothing more than speculation.
i usually take that stance as well, but this same source has been very accurate with Rock Band predictions in the past.

xtreme2252
06-17-2010, 01:44 AM
They definitely should make keyboard charts for old DLC and exportable songs, such as Baba O'Riley especially.

preppypoof
06-17-2010, 04:31 PM
They definitely should make keyboard charts for old DLC and exportable songs, such as Baba O'Riley especially.
that would be awesome, but I don't know if they're going to do that. They've already said that they don't want to charge people for things that they've already bought, and awesome as they are, I don't see them upgrading all of their old DLC (1000+ songs, is it?) for free.

if it was just upgrading the charts to have keyboard, I could see that. But they'd also have to add in vocal harmonies, and pro mode for guitar, bass, and drums. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately...

mikachu93
06-17-2010, 07:58 PM
that would be awesome, but I don't know if they're going to do that. They've already said that they don't want to charge people for things that they've already bought, and awesome as they are, I don't see them upgrading all of their old DLC (1000+ songs, is it?) for free.

if it was just upgrading the charts to have keyboard, I could see that. But they'd also have to add in vocal harmonies, and pro mode for guitar, bass, and drums. I just don't see it happening, unfortunately...
Pro drums has been charted for almost all songs since the beginning, since it was much easier to code "blue cymbal" vs. "blue note," as opposed to "orange fret" vs. "sixth string, seventh fret." (Examples. No idea what a guitar would sound like if I played that.)

Still, if you charted any older song with something more than harmonies, not a single previous title would be able to play said songs. At least, that's what I gathered from "all DLC after Rock Band 3 will not be playable in Rock Band and Rock Band 2."

Iconoclast
06-18-2010, 05:09 AM
Baba O'Riley especially.That song would be INSANE on keyboard. Can you imagine trying to chart that beast? Yeesh.

mikachu93
06-18-2010, 01:42 PM
i usually take that stance as well, but this same source has been very accurate with Rock Band predictions in the past.
I know I'm late, but I'm sure glad I didn't take the Mole's information for truth. It's a keyboard after all, not a keytar like he said. Awesome. :cool: