PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake Dated. My Rant/Review *Spoiler Free*

Kryptech
05-26-2010, 03:05 AM
I just finished Alan Wake and I do think it feels really dated. I would give it a weak 7/10. The atmosphere was awesome and the story was very interesting, but it just feels and plays like it should have been released 4 years ago. Back then I would have been like 11/10!! hehe.

Alan Wake's graphics are barely at standard. It doesn't even hold a candle to games like Uncharted 2 or Gears 2 as far as graphics. Maybe the bar was set too high? Dont even get me started on the facial animations, lolz, read bad ventriloquist dummy. I also think that the HUD almost ruins the game. It's always so freaking dark, but I have these huge, bright white icons at the top of my screen reminding me I am playing something, taking away any immersion the game tries to create. They could've been more creative or made a vanishing HUD.

I also think think gameplay also feels dated and a little off. The control of the character seems so unblalanced and unpolished. Front to back seem ok, but the side to side movement seem like he weighs 5 pounds. The aiming is ok, but a little rubbery. I also did not like the dodge button and sprint button together. What's with the 4 second sprint then I move slower than walking and need 4 more seconds to recover? Also, the way the enemies attack and what you can do with the controls seems very limited.

Again for as much as this was hyped and for the length of development I was disappointed. Being a big fan of Remedy's past work perhaps my hopes were way too high. The only thing that suprised me about this game is how old it looks and feels. I will be holding on to it because I want to see where the story goes, as long as theres no more forest to run through and no more stupid birds, lol. Alan Wake, although entertaining, wasn't what I thought it would be.

Battosai343
05-26-2010, 03:48 AM
You mean you weren't impressed by any of the graphics? I found the environments to be superb. There is so much detail put into the forests and buildings. The vistas in the background during the daytime look amazing as well.

As far as lip-synching goes...yeah it sucked. :)

Zenth Forbias
05-26-2010, 04:53 AM
I've stated this before and I will continue to state it. GRAPHICS DON'T MAKE A FREAKING GAME! Seriously, the story in this game is enough alone to keep you playing. Remedy isn't some big rich company that has the money nor the man power to make visually stunnng games like 2K, Ubi, EPIC, etc do.

Fraking Graphic Whores need to shut up.

FYC Punker
05-26-2010, 07:08 AM
I've stated this before and I will continue to state it. GRAPHICS DON'T MAKE A FREAKING GAME! Seriously, the story in this game is enough alone to keep you playing. Remedy isn't some big rich company that has the money nor the man power to make visually stunnng games like 2K, Ubi, EPIC, etc do.

Agreed!

Literally the only problem I had with the game (Which I agree with the OP on) is the fact that you get tired after running for a few seconds,and the enemys catch up really quick.

Other then that the game is a 10/10 for me!

Awesome Tree
05-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Guys, he's a writer, not a runner. :)

Ardocc
05-26-2010, 08:27 AM
Guys, he's a writer, not a runner. :) He's more than a writer! .. He's also drinking quite alot and having a hard time sleeping.

Maybe if it was a game called Alan Gebrselassie you could run for the entire fricking game.

Justin Case
05-26-2010, 12:57 PM
He's more than a writer! .. He's also drinking quite alot and having a hard time sleeping.

Maybe if it was a game called Alan Gebrselassie you could run for the entire fricking game.

Or if he was a Kenyan then i feel bad for the takens.

Shadowfan789
05-26-2010, 01:26 PM
The running in the game got frustrating at times, but it also made it so that you couldn't just run past a group of taken. You actually had to fight them off. And I agree with the point made above that he is a writer. I don't think he hit the gym every day or that he got much physical exercise. Be happy that he knows how to handle these guns.

And about the graphics. I thank the people who agree that graphics don't make a game. I actually thought the graphics were great and well done. There are only three things wrong with this game. 1. The lip-synching... yeah... it was terrible. 2. The ending. It was left way too wide open and barely anything was resolved. I can understand that this game ended with a cliffhanger, but it left too many questions left unanswered and just confused the heck out of me. 3. Some of the collectibles were un-needed. I understand the manuscripts, the hidden chest, the radios, the tv, and I can even partially agree with the pop can stacks, but the coffee thermoses? It's way too many collectibles to worry about and the coffee thermoses just took me out of the immersion. Why in the heck would a random coffee thermos be left in the middle of the woods? It... it makes no sense.

One last thing, the brightness could have been changed at any time in the options menu. The whole point of the game is that you are surrounded by darkness... so why not make the game dark? I liked how they handled this one.

I liked how this game turned out and if the ending wasn't left so open, I would say it's one of the best I've played. If I was to grade it, it'd be a 9/10. An amazing game that has a few flaws, but they were few and far between.

N3xus Gam3r
05-26-2010, 01:30 PM
Remember that Remedy is going to fix the "Zombie" emotion in the people's faces ;)

Shadowfan789
05-26-2010, 01:32 PM
Remember that Remedy is going to fix the "Zombie" emotion in the people's faces ;)

Wait... really? When did they announce this? I am always the last to know things like this... >.>

N3xus Gam3r
05-26-2010, 01:33 PM
it's been on the "Home" some weeks ago ;)

Shadowfan789
05-26-2010, 01:34 PM
it's been on the "Home" some weeks ago ;)

Well then... I must have missed that one. I'm happy about this though ^^

Battosai343
05-26-2010, 02:06 PM

Posts like this bug me. Everyone derives enjoyment in different ways when they play a game. Some may see it as a work of art and focus on how aesthetically pleasing the game is. Others enjoy focusing on gameplay and how well they can master it. Many people people get fulfillment from a great story. Then you have those who love seeing all the elements come together well. No matter which category you fit into, it's immature to judge others on how they prefer to enjoy the game.

It's an opinion, get over it. ;)

neil_lien
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
The only improvements I can think of would be removing the radar, small loss of atmosphere knowning you are going the right direction in the forrest.

I also thought they could have made the torch work differently, for instance; when using full beam you loss power, right? but to regain that battery power they could have made you either turn the torch off or use a battery, instead they have it without full beam can regain the battery power. Just an idea.... decent game regardless.