PDA

View Full Version : Harder than DOOM

cbssi
05-27-2010, 02:12 AM
I just got into a DOOM kick, but I've never played any other than Doom itself. Now, I've gotta say, I had a really hard time with "Thy Flesh Consumed." But that was hard because of the sheer amount of enemies; that's all that made it harder than Doom II. I'm glad I finally get to play Doom II, and glad it's harder because of the enemy additions this time, and not the sheer number of them. It's a refreshing change of pace. If they have a "Thy Flesh Consumed" type of expansion for Doom II (i.e. lots of enemies), I'd be fucked and never pass the levels.

This is satisfyingly harder than Doom coming from someone who's never played Doom II before.

RadiantViper
05-27-2010, 02:19 AM
Maybe it's cause I haven't played Doom in a while, but I found that Doom II did have way more enemies ...

Flip a switch, a bunch of enemies come out. Open a door, 20 guys already there. Just tons of enemies everywhere, I had to run past half the level in the new episode, level 4 I believe.

Mea Onus
05-27-2010, 04:59 AM
Just wait til you get through the end levels on the new episode on ultra violence. There are tons and tons of guys, and we're not talking imps and zombiemen, we're talking like hell knights and revenants out the ass.

Or on the Baron's Banquet level where you get to the top of the tower and like 20 Cacodemons come out and you have like nowhere to run. Man what a pain in the ass that was.

cbssi
05-27-2010, 05:08 AM
Maybe it's cause I haven't played Doom in a while, but I found that Doom II did have way more enemies ...

Flip a switch, a bunch of enemies come out. Open a door, 20 guys already there. Just tons of enemies everywhere, I had to run past half the level in the new episode, level 4 I believe.

Yeah, level 4 was an absolutely bitch to beat. That's one of the levels that did have enemies up the ass.

Just wait til you get through the end levels on the new episode on ultra violence. There are tons and tons of guys, and we're not talking imps and zombiemen, we're talking like hell knights and revenants out the ass.

Or on the Baron's Banquet level where you get to the top of the tower and like 20 Cacodemons come out and you have like nowhere to run. Man what a pain in the ass that was.

I agree. I stayed to try and fight a few times, but found that the Lost Souls made that fucking impossible. I just booked it to the staircase at that point. But yeah, I beat the new episode on Ultraviolence, but I still think Doom had more enemies on the "Thy Flesh Consumed" levels (those exclusively). This is just fucking harder because the enemies are fucking tougher.

Mea Onus
05-27-2010, 06:40 AM
I agree, Thy Flesh Consumed had some crazy amounts of enemies, but this one has some tough bastards. I particularly hate the Pain elementals and of course the Arch Viles those guys always resurrect the bodies in my line of sight!!

RadiantViper
05-27-2010, 09:14 AM
Yeah, level 4 was an absolutely bitch to beat. That's one of the levels that did have enemies up the ass.

I agree. I stayed to try and fight a few times, but found that the Lost Souls made that fucking impossible. I just booked it to the staircase at that point. But yeah, I beat the new episode on Ultraviolence, but I still think Doom had more enemies on the "Thy Flesh Consumed" levels (those exclusively). This is just fucking harder because the enemies are fucking tougher.

You're probably right, like I said haven't played the first in a while. I do remember the level with tons of enemies that you had to fight almost exclusively on thin walkways with acid below. Got my ass kicked a lot, just like I am with this one on UV :p

uno_master
05-27-2010, 10:03 AM
bring it on DOOM II :rock

mjc0961
05-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm going to have to disagree here... There's a crapload of enemies in Doom 2 so far, and it's all just a bunch of imps and various zombie humans. There barely seems to be enough ammo to kill them all, either. Right now I'm on the Refueling Base level, and holy crap. I haven't even been able to get anywhere yet because every time I clear out the baddies and try to advance, I seem to trigger a hidden wall in the starting area that pours out another shitload of enemies for me to kill. I'm surprised there's any floor left in this area with all the corpses I've made...

I can't run away from them either, otherwise I'd get sandwiched between those guys behind me and the guys I encounter in any new room I try to get to.

I don't ever remember there being this many monsters in this level before, though...

cbssi
05-27-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm going to have to disagree here... There's a crapload of enemies in Doom 2 so far, and it's all just a bunch of imps and various zombie humans. There barely seems to be enough ammo to kill them all, either. Right now I'm on the Refueling Base level, and holy crap. I haven't even been able to get anywhere yet because every time I clear out the baddies and try to advance, I seem to trigger a hidden wall in the starting area that pours out another shitload of enemies for me to kill. I'm surprised there's any floor left in this area with all the corpses I've made...

I can't run away from them either, otherwise I'd get sandwiched between those guys behind me and the guys I encounter in any new room I try to get to.

I don't ever remember there being this many monsters in this level before, though...

I haven't beaten the actual game yet, just the new chapter. So I don't know about what you're talking about, but it sounds hard (:

mjc0961
05-27-2010, 01:03 PM
Ah. I've been playing the original levels, not the new chapter. :p

CutmanMike
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Refueling Base and The Industrial Zone are IMO the hardest levels because of the sheer amount of enemies. The best thing to do in Refueling base is to funnel all your enemies into the starting point and take them out. Be cautious of ammo though.

PS. There's a shotgun secret right where you start, and a chaingun secret if you click on the wall with the brown vines in the big room opposite where you start (although demons come out too)

Blah 2k
05-27-2010, 02:57 PM
Doom Doom Doom! Always love a challenge. Unlike some games... *cough" MW2 Veteran *cough* hehe ;)

KingSigy
05-27-2010, 07:04 PM
I'm not sure I'd call this harder than Doom 1. It's got different enemies that can deal damage faster, but there typically aren't as many, especially not like Episode 4 in Ultimate Doom.

Tha Mantis
05-27-2010, 07:06 PM
I dont know Doom 2 on UV is mighty unforgiving. Especially the new episode they added. My god some of those levels, I thought I was screwed because of the sheer number of foes and hardly any ammo, and the ammo that you need is in the middle of the fight. I think this one is harder

Evil Dobermann
05-27-2010, 09:24 PM
The new episode is very tough. I died almost 20 times in Level 5 after the blue door. The fuckin Mancubi and boats of heavy weapon dudes deal damage so fast ... and I could hardly find green and blue armor in the new episode. But finally I made it. Level 7 is a beast btw.

Someone made it in his first run (lvl 7) when you push a button to lower a wall with plenty of Mancubi, demons, cacodems and 2 revenants + an Arch Vile in the middle behind? That was the most challenging part of the new episode to me. Even though I was too lazy to search for the secret area to get the BFG. :p

cbssi
05-27-2010, 09:35 PM
The new episode is very tough. I died almost 20 times in Level 5 after the blue door. The fuckin Mancubi and boats of heavy weapon dudes deal damage so fast ... and I could hardly find green and blue armor in the new episode. But finally I made it. Level 7 is a beast btw.

Someone made it in his first run (lvl 7) when you push a button to lower a wall with plenty of Mancubi, demons, cacodems and 2 revenants + an Arch Vile in the middle behind? That was the most challenging part of the new episode to me. Even though I was too lazy to search for the secret area to get the BFG. :p

Don't even need the BFG. I just activated the wall, backed myself behind a pillar (to break the Arch-vile's view), and used my rocket launcher with shit tons of ammo, and some crates of it yet behind me. When most of the enemies are dead, you deal with the Arch-vile (which is still tricky, because he likes resurrecting the Mancubi and Hell knights). But I still did it, first try.

mjc0961
05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Okay, this is definitely harder than Doom, at least for me. Finally got through the Refueling Base, but now... The O of Destruction or whatever this schizophrenic level likes to call itself. Ugh. You know what's awesome about Doom? No Arachnotrons, Arch-viles, or Revenants (who gave this clown homing rockets anyway?!) x_x

The only real trouble I remember having in Doom was when you had to start the new episodes, and you have nothing but your pistol again.

Oh, but don't worry game. I will beat you. You might drive me to insanity before I finish, but I will beat you.

Evil Dobermann
05-27-2010, 11:43 PM
@cbssi (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=38675)

respect! :eek:

I was able to do it with shooting 5 rockets directly into the arch-viles ugly face after lowering the wall and then I just ran around screamin and shooting in all directions. I died about 15 times in that area. After 10 deaths I thought I might get back to search for the BFG but you weren't even able to go back since you cannot reach the upper area anymore. So i had to deal with it that way.

ontopic:
I'm now beating Level 17 in Hell on Earth and I must say Doom II is a lot harder ... just because of those homing missile skeletons.... at least in the wide area city levels. :woop:

cbssi
05-27-2010, 11:57 PM
Okay, this is definitely harder than Doom, at least for me. Finally got through the Refueling Base, but now... The O of Destruction or whatever this schizophrenic level likes to call itself. Ugh. You know what's awesome about Doom? No Arachnotrons, Arch-viles, or Revenants (who gave this clown homing rockets anyway?!) x_x

The only real trouble I remember having in Doom was when you had to start the new episodes, and you have nothing but your pistol again.

Oh, but don't worry game. I will beat you. You might drive me to insanity before I finish, but I will beat you.

Amen to that.

Seems like I can't wait to get started playing the main game now!

@cbssi (http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/member.php?u=38675)

respect! :eek:

I was able to do it with shooting 5 rockets directly into the arch-viles ugly face after lowering the wall and then I just ran around screamin and shooting in all directions. I died about 15 times in that area. After 10 deaths I thought I might get back to search for the BFG but you weren't even able to go back since you cannot reach the upper area anymore. So i had to deal with it that way.

ontopic:
I'm now beating Level 17 in Hell on Earth and I must say Doom II is a lot harder ... just because of those homing missile skeletons.... at least in the wide area city levels. :woop:

The part I died in most was the Tomb of Malevolence, for obvious reasons. It's simply really difficult to clear that crowd of Imps on the way down from the lift, because they're so numerous, and right in front of you. At least in the part with the Arch-vile there was distance between you and the enemy! The last level gives you narrow corridors with a bigger concentration of Imps than I've ever seen, and a Cyberdemon.

MikeJonesJaxson
05-28-2010, 12:42 AM
I guess I'm not really bothered by these stages anymore after playing a lot of Plutionia Experiment back a few years ago. That game's easily the most difficult out of all other doom titles. But it was also the most fun.

As for being harder than Doom. Doom 2 (with the new add-on) is harder IMO simply because the only difficult thing about Doom 1 was "Thy Flesh Consumed" but that episode alone gives most of Doom 2 a slap in the face in terms of difficulty, but Doom 2's later stages were huge and tricky. "No Rest for the Living" had a lot of difficult parts with Level 8 being the worst. It was it's own version of "Cat and Mouse" from Doom 64, but much more unforgiving.

Natetendo83
05-28-2010, 04:45 AM
I guess I'm not really bothered by these stages anymore after playing a lot of Plutionia Experiment back a few years ago. That game's easily the most difficult out of all other doom titles. But it was also the most fun.

As for being harder than Doom. Doom 2 (with the new add-on) is harder IMO simply because the only difficult thing about Doom 1 was "Thy Flesh Consumed" but that episode alone gives most of Doom 2 a slap in the face in terms of difficulty, but Doom 2's later stages were huge and tricky. "No Rest for the Living" had a lot of difficult parts with Level 8 being the worst. It was it's own version of "Cat and Mouse" from Doom 64, but much more unforgiving. Wow Doom 64 reference. That game was insane at times if I remember correctly.

On topic this game feels more challenging mostly because of the new enemies who can rock your health off so fast.

Aside from that it's not that bad as long as you are able to get the good weapons early and fast (rockets in level 1, super shotty in level two, plasma rifle in level 5 I think and BFG in 8). And of course knowing where the good health and armor pick ups is good.

As you get to the mid to late levels they can get confusing to get around, and doing that while worrying about homing rockets and Arch Viles and the Mancubus can grate your nerves a bit.

mjc0961
05-28-2010, 08:48 AM
Amen to that. Indeed... The more I play, the more I realize that all the monsters that have specific sounds which make me go "Oh shit, not those things" are all Doom 2 monsters. :p

Balc0ra
05-28-2010, 10:32 PM
I got stuck several places. Refueling station was a pain but I got past it. There are a few levels where you get a break form all the bigger nastier mobs... well there are less of em. And more humans and imps so you can get your ammo count back up again.

I was low on ammo on several levels. But after lvl 24 it got easier and not to bad. lvl 10 to 20 is the hardest imo. Tho barrels of fun was a bit hectic to lol.

The new episode was just insane. lvl 5 the 1st few times where a bit crazy. I died a lot there. They spawned and teleported all over the place and ammo was scarce.

Tho tbh I was disappointed of the new episode. Compared to the old doom levels they where to linear at some places. Tho the amount of mobs on some of the levels there are a bit worse then some of the old episodes where. Did kinda like the end boss level tho. I got a nasty surprise the 1st time I did go down that elevator. I got raped bad.

Xeogred
05-30-2010, 10:04 PM
I agree that the toughest parts of Doom II are also probably in between levels 10-20, ammo almost becomes a problem around here. But later on there's a definitely big chain of some really easy levels...

To be honest I think I remember having a much harder time with Doom on UV. I think the reason here is because:
1. The weapon resets for the episodes were brutal, especially for episodes 3-4.
2. The levels in Doom II are much "bigger" in scope and thus give you a lot of room to maneuver, that really wasn't the case in the original game... especially in the later episodes, the levels got really complicated and claustrophobic, so you never had a lot of space.

Granted it's been awhile since I hit up the original, maybe I've just really improved a lot on Doom having gone through Final Doom, Doom 64, and some crazy WAD's that I'd definitely say are a lot tougher than the first two games, even the infamous Hell Revealed 1-2... though pretty sure I did those on Hurt Me Plenty MAX or the second difficulty, but even on those they were damn brutal!

mjc0961
05-30-2010, 10:33 PM
2. The levels in Doom II are much "bigger" in scope and thus give you a lot of room to maneuver, that really wasn't the case in the original game... especially in the later episodes, the levels got really complicated and claustrophobic, so you never had a lot of space. Fighting the Cyberdemon in E4M6 http://www.ps3trophies.org/forum/images/smilies/indifferent.gif

But yes, 10-20 were pretty shit. I was actually doing alright ammo-wise around 18-19, though. And 20 is fun just for the lovely event that happens right at the start (no spoilers here, but when you get there you will know). I also had a good laugh at the monsters in the room with the exit portal on level 20, I just ran like hell to the exit portal and ignored them all (except one Imp who got introduced to my shotgun for being in the way). Got through the entire room without a scratch, suck on that hellspawn! :biglaugh

Xeogred
05-31-2010, 12:42 AM
Yeah, I definitely just cleared Doom II pretty easily on UV. Granted, I have to admit I ran through on Hurt Me Plenty at first and instantly jumped to UV, so I knew the levels... that probably helped a lot, lol...

I think I'll challenge myself a bit and blindingly jump into the new episode on UV right away. Only played the first level so far. From what everyone is saying it sounds like it'll be pretty tough.

thetap
05-31-2010, 01:00 PM
No Rest For The Living is pretty hard to beat on UV, there are a lot of enemies, A LOT.

Aphrodite1
06-01-2010, 05:39 AM
Yeah, I definitely just cleared Doom II pretty easily on UV. Granted, I have to admit I ran through on Hurt Me Plenty at first and instantly jumped to UV, so I knew the levels... that probably helped a lot, lol...

That's a really good idea. Going to try that. I've been going into them straight on UV mode. Just got to Circle of Death (level 11) and finding it very hard all of a sudden!

Xeogred
06-01-2010, 05:41 AM
Haha, yeah. Well I went with my idea and blindingly jumped into the new episode on UV right away. Still not too bad compared to Final Doom and other WAD's, but definitely more consistenly tougher than Doom II! Level 9 was pretty cool too.

Whelp just joined the 200/200 club finally... now I want Final Doom or something else ported! Heh, just another excuse to play them again.

Kahn13
06-01-2010, 01:57 PM
The most annoying part to me has been and always will be The Icon Of Sin boss. Especially without mouse look on in one of the source ports. I practiced that one through DOSBox a few time's in preparation for the Arcade port so i'd be ready :).

Had to save/reload quite a bit though. Wish they could have at least removed the "infinitely tall" objects thing from the original though. That screwed me up quite a few times while playing through it.

Xeogred
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM
The most annoying part to me has been and always will be The Icon Of Sin boss. Especially without mouse look on in one of the source ports. I practiced that one through DOSBox a few time's in preparation for the Arcade port so i'd be ready :).

Had to save/reload quite a bit though. Wish they could have at least removed the "infinitely tall" objects thing from the original though. That screwed me up quite a few times while playing through it.
Haha, screw mouse look!

Oddly enough I remember having a hell of a hard time when I first played Doom II and reached Icon of Sin... probably on Hurt Me Plenty. Maybe I just remember this because I had no idea what to do for awhile or something, but it wasn't too bad this time around on both HMP and UV.

By the way, another obvious point for my opinion on Doom difficulty > Doom II ... we can't forget that our trusty friend SUPER SHOTGUN is not in the original. So those Cacodemon's, Hell Knight's, etc were a lot more annoying.

mjc0961
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
By the way, another obvious point for my opinion on Doom difficulty > Doom II ... we can't forget that our trusty friend SUPER SHOTGUN is not in the original. So those Cacodemon's, Hell Knight's, etc were a lot more annoying. Hell Knights weren't in Doom, just the ammo soaking Barons. ;)

Also: The secret level in No Rest for the Living is an ASSHOLE! I blame the devs for putting in a computer map in level 4. If they hadn't, I wouldn't have been inspired to go look for all the secrets, and I would have just gone to level 5 instead of level 9. Man that sucked. Still not as bad as "Go 2 It", but close right at the end. Jerks put a big central room where you slaughter tons of Demons, Mancubi, Hell Knights, and a few Barons of Hell. Then when you open the wall to get to the exit door, they also let out two rooms of monsters. One has a lovely Spider Mastermind. The other lets out a few Revenants, more Barons of Hell, and an Arch Vile! AUGH WHY?! And then other hidden rooms seemed to open up as well, because after I killed the Arch Vile and ran the hell away to get ammo and health I left behind, I found MORE Demons and Mancubi. I did kill them all, but GOD. DAMN. *sigh* At least they put in a Megasphere as well.

Xeogred
06-01-2010, 06:12 PM
I think I heard around here that level 9 was a remake of a Doom64 map? Can't confirm that myself though.

But yeah it was a damn beast. Definitely had to nail all my shots on enemies as ammo was pretty scarce there.

And no Hell Knight's in Doom? So weird, actually when looking at the enemies at wikia.doom I also noticed the Commando/Chaingun guys aren't in Doom either? Man it's been so long and I guess I'm so used to all the megawads out there that are based off Doom II with all the extra's, lol. I should run through Doom again.

Choco Biscuits
06-01-2010, 07:52 PM
Yeah that secret level was seriously harsh but I loved it. Really nice challenge :woop:

If you discount Thy Flesh Consumed then Doom II is certainly harder than Doom. If you do count it....so-so.

I do like how the difficulty in Doom II is balanced almost solely by the presence of the super-shotgun!

mjc0961
06-01-2010, 08:27 PM
And no Hell Knight's in Doom? So weird, actually when looking at the enemies at wikia.doom I also noticed the Commando/Chaingun guys aren't in Doom either? Man it's been so long and I guess I'm so used to all the megawads out there that are based off Doom II with all the extra's, lol. I should run through Doom again. Yep, no Hell Knights and no Commandos. Also no Arch Viles! :woop:

Kahn13
06-02-2010, 04:47 AM
Some of those Doom II monsters were in PSX Doom (in the actual Doom 1 levels) though. AFAIK that's the only time they've ever appeared in Doom 1 maps.

Haha, screw mouse look!
Even without the last level not having mouselook (and having used it for so long since playing the original Vanilla version of the game) I found myself getting annoyed at points without it. It seems from a certain distance the autoaim won't work and there are times where it would REALLY help if you could take out a pesky chaingunner safely from where you're at for instance.

Also it's annoying when you're shooting something like a Pain Elemental in the air and then something like an Imp or Pinky Demon walks in front, and autoaim compensates. Plus also keep in mind that Doom II maps tend to be bigger and WAY taller so this happened to me quite often when playing through...

shallowgrave21
06-05-2010, 04:31 PM
To be honest, the only thing I find harder about Doom II is those enemies that shoot out Lost Souls for they're attacks. Lost Souls were a pain in the first one, the only enemies I truly hated dealing with. And now that there's an enemy that can shoot them out endlessly makes this much harder for me. If they weren't there, the two games are pretty even in difficulty in my book.

http://card.mygamercard.net/shallowgrave21.png (http://profile.mygamercard.net/shallowgrave21)

KizZy Kash
06-06-2010, 12:33 AM
This Is Really Good To Hear Love Doom...Still Missing Sum Achievements But Playing On Getting Doom II This Week.

superink
06-06-2010, 02:50 PM

yeah it really gave me a hard time. it made me saved and loaded a bunch of times before i finally put 3 rockets into the hole. the strategy's clear that you should eliminate all monsters near the elevator to get a clear shot. all other levels in Hell on Earth are pieces of cake.

StakemZ
06-07-2010, 04:42 AM
I found the first few levels of Thy Flesh Consumed to be difficult but the rest felt perfect to me. So far, Doom II has annoyed the crap out of me. I feel it's more about the level designs than anything. I get lost so easily since I've never played Doom II before and find myself wandering forever. I've had Doom II since they released it on the arcade and I'm only on level 13 in the Hell on Earth campaign. It just doesn't feel as good as the first Doom to me.

mjc0961
06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
Doom II certainly does have larger, sprawling levels in some cases. It can be very easy to get lost if it's your first time.

Just remember to use the Automap to keep your bearings, and if you're still lost, there are more than enough guides on the net for this game that can help.

Xeogred
06-07-2010, 04:04 PM
I really liked the bigger "feel" of the Doom 2 maps, like some of the city levels and especially the later ones like the Abandoned Mines and Living End. The really "tall" maps just felt cool to me. I think the original Doom maps felt a little more complex, but it could just be because they were smaller and more claustrophobic.

I dunno, both games are awesome. I think the only thing I can't really give Doom 2 is that the music seems like a major stepdown from the original game, unless it's just nostalgic talking. But the original game had nothing but unforgettable tracks.

Pedle Zelnip
06-07-2010, 05:07 PM

If you're having trouble with ammo, then try and get enemies to attack each other to save bullets. Honestly there's more than enough ammo in the game, almost every level I finish with full ammo, and I'm more than halfway through the game (on level 18 I think).

Kahn13
06-08-2010, 01:08 PM
Doom II levels seem to have multi-routes to get where you need to go (as well as some levels even having more than one key available to obtain but ultimately needing one final key for the exit), unlike Doom where most levels only had 1 or 2 paths to take in a level.

mjc0961
06-08-2010, 02:30 PM
If you're having trouble with ammo, then try and get enemies to attack each other to save bullets. Honestly there's more than enough ammo in the game, almost every level I finish with full ammo, and I'm more than halfway through the game (on level 18 I think). Yeah thanks, I knew that already. And it doesn't work against monsters with projectile attacks hitting each other, like Imps VS Imps or Barons VS Barons. And I had a lot of imps to deal with in the level I was talking about.

Natetendo83
06-08-2010, 05:33 PM
If anybody is having trouble with the game try this playlist on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/NecroVMX#g/c/D8AA6A31881F3EB5

The guy does a good walkthrough of the whole game and it's on Ultra Violence. He knows a lot of the tricks and secrets and it's a very helpful thing to follow, and at times he's pretty hilarious too. Also if anyone wants an original Doom playthrough he has that too. Only thing not there is the new Episode from the XBLA release, but those maps aren't so much confusing as they are full of bad guys.

T0b3
06-11-2010, 10:13 AM
DOOM 2 on UV is much easier than DOOM 1. I am currently on level 16 and finished every single level up until now with full HP and half to full armor. That's because the new enemies are easy to avoid.

For example, when a Pain Elemental opens its mouth, quickly hide behind a corner and it won't spawn a Lost Soul.

When you see the fire of the Archvile, quickly get out of his sight and you won't get damaged.

And - when a Revenant fires a rocket, run towards it and dodge to the left or right - the rocket will lose its homing ability and explode in a wall or something behind you.

But maybe it's also easy to me because I play DOOM for about 12 years now. :D

Nightmare371
06-16-2010, 06:49 AM
For me Doom 2 is a bit harder than the first, mostly because when I was younger I spent more time playing the first than the second. Unfortunately, I also played them with all the cheat codes so finally playing the game completely legit is a bit more on the painful side :(

Still having fun with the game, though I am taking my sweet-ass time with it. My "strategy" is to save multiple files when I'm doing really well and then just kind of suicide running through large sections for as long as I can survive to get a feel for the level/amount of enemies. I also try to find as many secrets as well since a lot of these levels tend to have gimmicky secrets that can be used to avoid half the enemies once you know where they are. Currently on level 17 and usually get a level and half done each sitting.

cbssi
06-24-2010, 06:07 AM
A month later, I gave up on beating DOOM II. I'll get back to it eventually (I still haven't *completely* beat DOOM -- have about 3 levels left, and I started my playthrough three years ago now), but it got frustratingly difficult at some parts, plus I got new games for my birthday that I wanted to (and am still) play(ing).

Jakethemuss
07-18-2010, 09:27 PM
I've just completed level 6 of NRFTL and have completed both Doom's on ultra violence several times.

I would still say the 2nd level of Thy Flesh consumed (Doom 1 4th chapter) is by far the most ruthless map. Scarce ammo, limited weaponary, tough enemies in numbers, tricky jumps, wide open areas with little cover make this level painful to say the least. Not to mention the fact that your trying to manovuer with a sea of toxic shit beneath you. What kinda 2nd level throws hell knights and a cyberdemon at you?

However, overall Doom II is harder due to the new enemies, all of whom are capable of killing you quickly unless you are careful, also larger crowds. The super shotty is a life saver on UV though.