PDA

View Full Version : So... Verdicts?

OneDeadCop112
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
How is everyone liking the port? It's pretty good from the first few levels of play.

That only thing that is bugging me is the no widescreen support and being a doomer who has played using source ports from day one, it's pretty annoying not having a full 360 look around.

EDIT: I also forgot, you can't change the screen size properly like on the source ports either. I prefer playing without the grey bar at the bottom

T FUNK 1984
05-27-2010, 11:46 AM
I agree about the widescreen support, the only other thing I've found so far is major lag in all but 1 of the multiplayer games I've played - it was painful getting to 100 kills last night.

Other than that I'm really enjoying it.

Rage66
05-27-2010, 12:02 PM
Why did they Remove the Red Crosses on the Medikits? The Red/White Doc. Mario Pills suck Balls oO.

CutmanMike
05-27-2010, 01:23 PM
http://www.shacknews.com/docs/press/020906_redcross.x

^ This is why

Evil Dobermann
05-27-2010, 01:27 PM
Yup no red crosses suck. :-(
And I can't get comfortable with the new double barrel shotgun sound.

I agree with the online lag. Played 2 matches yesterday and could hardly get kills, so I gave up and try again today. If someone wants to boost, pm me in live. (i know this is not the trading thread)

Rage66
05-27-2010, 01:36 PM

^ This is why

Thanks for the Link now it makes Sense ;-).

Jet1337
05-27-2010, 02:05 PM
I like playing Doom 2 through the Skulltag sourceport engine. The only reason I even bought this was for the achievements and the rewards. I still have the original CD for windows.

If this game was anymore than 800 points it would be a rip-off considering the first one was only 400 points. I think the reason why they jacked up the price was either MS being their greedy selves or because of the avatar stuff included. The Doom armor alone would probably cost 320 points and the shirt for 60.

Rage66
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
Doom 2 has many Buttons for Weapon Switch i wish i could bind my Favourite Weapons on the D-Pad that would be cool sometimes it sucks because it takes forever to switch to the right Weapon. Oh yeah and the new Reload Sound of the Double Barreled sucks :-(.

MILINKYO
05-27-2010, 02:08 PM
I like playing Doom 2 through the Skulltag sourceport engine. The only reason I even bought this was for the achievements and the rewards. I still have the original CD for windows.

If this game was anymore than 800 points it would be a rip-off considering the first one was only 400 points. I think the reason why they jacked up the price was either MS being their greedy selves or because of the avatar stuff included. The Doom armor alone would probably cost 320 points and the shirt for 60.

Doom cost 800 when it firsf came out then it was reduced sometime last year. First time I've played Doom 2 abd I'm enjoying it loads.

Jet1337
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
It was 400 points when it first came out. I remember buying it on the first day for that much. If you don't believe me, search for articles reviewing Doom and they'll say it was 400 points.

Natetendo83
05-27-2010, 02:17 PM
Maybe it was a launch special of some sort but it was 800 for a while until it went Greatest Hits.

Alshain
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Doom 2 has many Buttons for Weapon Switch i wish i could bind my Favourite Weapons on the D-Pad that would be cool sometimes it sucks because it takes forever to switch to the right Weapon. Oh yeah and the new Reload Sound of the Double Barreled sucks :-(.

The weapons are already mapped to the D-Pad. Press up for shotguns (press again to switch between double and single), press right for the guns that use bullets (pistol and chain gun), down for the chainsaw, fists, and I think the rocket launcher. I'm assuming left will be the energy weapons. Just keep hitting the direction and it will toggle between the weapons that use that ammo type.

Rage66
05-27-2010, 03:14 PM
The weapons are already mapped to the D-Pad. Press up for shotguns (press again to switch between double and single), press right for the guns that use bullets (pistol and chain gun), down for the chainsaw, fists, and I think the rocket launcher. I'm assuming left will be the energy weapons. Just keep hitting the direction and it will toggle between the weapons that use that ammo type.

cool, thanks

Squalasura
05-27-2010, 03:19 PM
I have really been enjoying it. I have alot of great memories of this game when I was in high school 16 years ago. The widescreen functionality, or lack thereof kinda sucks but I'm getting used to it as I play it more. Overall I think its $10 well spent.

StakemZ
05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
The first DOOM was always 400 points. It came out in like 2006 didn't it? Back when the standard pricing for arcade titles was 400 and bigger games were 800. Now it's 800 for smaller and 1200 for bigger. Times change.

Doominatorx6
05-27-2010, 04:50 PM
Doom (AKA Ultimate Doom) was always 800. I know for a fact because it was the first XBLA game I ever bought, alongside UMK3. It was one of the first games to be part of the "Arcade Hits" thing, hence why it is 400 currently. That clear things up?

As for the game itself, I'm pleased but not as much as I wanted to be. It's pretty much identical to the original Doom on XBL, but the music sounds weird, almost slower (I think wolfenstein had the same thing... porting errors?), no widescreen, and embarrassing lag. Also, maybe because I grew up with Doom and not so much Doom 2 there's less nostalgic value here pour moi.

Still, if you ever played Doom or just love shooters, 10$ is a solid price. Hell, pick up Doom alongside it if you don't have it.

EDIT - I didn't notice the "pills instead of crosses" thing, but that's just dumb. Guess I just have to say "Grabbin Peelz!" instead of "need health!"

prezskroob
05-27-2010, 06:33 PM
Love it so far. At least now I know that my sound will always work, as opposed to playing it on my old pc with the crappy, rarely working soundcard.
I noticed the pill emblems, but didn't really think anything about the change.
A little disappointed about the lack of widescreen support.
Still one of my favorite games of all time.

KingSigy
05-27-2010, 07:03 PM
I like the port. It's not the greatest, but I grew up playing this game and the achievements are easy for me. Other than that, it's just Doom 2 with a bonus. Nothing wrong with that.

cbssi
05-27-2010, 11:50 PM
This is a very good game, although I never played any other version, so I can't judge it based on other versions, but in and of itself, this port is spectacular to me.

MikeJonesJaxson
05-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Good port, got used to the different sounds and what-not from monsters and guns. But I wasn't a fan of the new episode.

Also, too dark, what the heck?

vmu
05-28-2010, 01:45 AM
the reguar 32 epiisodes are great, the 9 new levels are kinda bland and seem designed to be difficult. i'm pretty sure it was ID's goal to stack as many monsters as possible

OneDeadCop112
05-28-2010, 11:03 AM
Good port, got used to the different sounds and what-not from monsters and guns. But I wasn't a fan of the new episode.

Also, too dark, what the heck?

Really? I thought the new episode looked amazing, developers really went to town with the mapping.

AzureWrathHal
05-29-2010, 01:00 AM

^ This is why

This has got to be the dumbest crap I've ever read in my entire life.

OH NO! THEY'RE USING A RED CROSS TO DESIGNATE HEALING! BETTER PUT A STOP TO THAT!

Honestly, don't they have better things to worry about?

MikeJonesJaxson
05-29-2010, 01:24 AM
Really? I thought the new episode looked amazing, developers really went to town with the mapping.

It just kinda felt like you were constantly put into situations where you were just thrown in the middle of monster spawns which got tiring after a while. While it's not a problem if it happens like once every few stages, I felt so bored with the rest of each stage after the big fights. I had no motivation for exploring the new stages at all!

Xeogred
05-29-2010, 11:34 AM
I too am a little disappointed it's just like the Doom port and not at the quality of the Duke Nukem 3D port, but I won't really complain.

Yeah I've totally got the WAD's and all the extra's and such, but it's a nice excuse to play the game again and go for some fun achievements. :)

As some people say though... unless there's a huge gap between Hurt Me Plenty and Ultra-Violence here in Doom II, I might end up having an easier time with it than I did Doom. At least the first parts of Episode 4 for the original Doom were damn brutal... yikes.

Choco Biscuits
05-29-2010, 06:05 PM
This has got to be the dumbest crap I've ever read in my entire life.

OH NO! THEY'RE USING A RED CROSS TO DESIGNATE HEALING! BETTER PUT A STOP TO THAT!

Honestly, don't they have better things to worry about?
Pathetic isn't it? And to think that they'd be willing to spend vast ammount of money in litigation.....money that could be spent doing the *good* things that the red cross does.

As for the game, it's pure brilliance. It's like I'm reliving my childhood. The Doom games are just so damn good, personally I don't think you can call yourself a gamer unless you've finish the original Doom games :p

What are people saying about new sounds? Everything sounds exactly the same as it always has done to me....

Evil Dobermann
05-29-2010, 06:38 PM
What are people saying about new sounds? Everything sounds exactly the same as it always has done to me....
This is the oldschool sound of the super shotty:

YouTube- DOOM 2 super shotgun - SSG

Compare to that one in the xbox-version ...

mjc0961
05-29-2010, 07:38 PM

^ This is why I still say it's bullshit that they can copyright/trademark/whatever a design as simple as this: + Ohshit! Hope the site doesn't get sued for this unauthorized use of a plus sign! :rolleyes:

But the port? Yeah it's great. I haven't tried the new levels yet, but what I've done so far? Awesome. The Super Shotgun did sound off to me at first (mostly the reloading part, after the BOOM!), but now I'm either used to the new sound or it was never new in the first place because I don't notice it anymore.

I also didn't have any problems with lag in the MP matches either. Hell, I was even super lucky and didn't have any problems with douchebags quitting before the match officially ends because they were losing. :D

Choco Biscuits
05-29-2010, 10:04 PM
Sounds the same to me....clearly I'm deaf :p

Iron_Man_91
05-29-2010, 10:47 PM
I find it funny that NOW they decide to clam copyright on the red cross when considering how long this game has been around for.

Shaun2k4
05-30-2010, 09:00 AM
I'm glad they put the 9 new levels in because they provided an excellent challenge.

The old levels are still hard on the UV difficulty and still had a blast working through them.

Overall, great little package and well worth the 800mp entry fee.