PDA

View Full Version : Lost: The final episode

Seraph Xii
05-27-2010, 03:17 PM
To start off the search function doesn't seem to be working for me so I'm sorry if there was a topic already posted on this subject.

Anyway, I'm curious about what others thought about the final episode of Lost.

For me I have to say I was disappointed about the amount of (still) unanswered questions and while the episode itself was very good, the fact that it was the last episode means that at least in my opinion having so many unanswered questions left is very disappointing and slightly frustrating.

iBlessing 09
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
It was very disappointed I was looking forward to finding out everything about but I guess they couldn't fit it in 2 hours.

Muffin the Holy
05-27-2010, 03:44 PM
I don't believe they wanted us to find everything out. Like the old addage, you don't find every answer in life, and in the end, the finale was more about the bringing closure to the characters than it was about giving you every answer to the plot.

dakisbac
05-27-2010, 03:59 PM
You don't need to do a search if you're on the right forum ;)

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=1677

Capn Doug
05-27-2010, 04:18 PM
I find it a little amusing that some people wanted all the answers. Some of them would not have been possible to give without a 30 minute scene of Jacob drawing a diagram on a black board. The show was really about the characters, and that was what they brought to resolution. They gave you enough information to draw conclusions about things like the island, but not enough to say definitively that the island is the crossroads between life and the afterlife (or something else).

Seraph Xii
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
I find it a little amusing that some people wanted all the answers. Some of them would not have been possible to give without a 30 minute scene of Jacob drawing a diagram on a black board. The show was really about the characters, and that was what they brought to resolution. They gave you enough information to draw conclusions about things like the island, but not enough to say definitively that the island is the crossroads between life and the afterlife (or something else).

If you're happy about the lack of explanations then I'm happy for you, but I know I certainly would've been happier with more information on certain things.

It's not about a lack of entertainment, just a lack of closure.
Then there's the secrets many people have been waiting to know the answer to for several seasons such as Walt's "powers" but if anything I'd have at least liked to have known more about the "smoke monster" and why he became what he did and Jack/Desmond didn't etc... and what this light actually was.

Capn Doug
05-27-2010, 06:14 PM
If you're happy about the lack of explanations then I'm happy for you, but I know I certainly would've been happier with more information on certain things.

It's not about a lack of entertainment, just a lack of closure.
Then there's the secrets many people have been waiting to know the answer to for several seasons such as Walt's "powers" but if anything I'd have at least liked to have known more about the "smoke monster" and why he became what he did and Jack/Desmond didn't etc... and what this light actually was.

I'm not saying I wanted no answers, I am just saying that in the end, it didn't matter. We got the resolutions that we needed and what wasn't resolved gave us enough information to make up out own mind. If we had been given every answer, people would be pissed. If we were given no answers, people would be pissed. If we were only given some answers, like we were, people are still pissed. You can't please everyone, and having everything spelled out would have disappointed me. We can't know for certain why MIB became the smoke monster and Jack and Desmond didn't, but it probably had something to do with the fact that MIB was corrupted before he went in (what Allison Janney was protecting him from). Like I said, enough answers to draw a conclusion, but never to know for certain.

Seraph Xii
05-27-2010, 06:50 PM
I'm not saying I wanted no answers, I am just saying that in the end, it didn't matter. We got the resolutions that we needed and what wasn't resolved gave us enough information to make up out own mind. If we had been given every answer, people would be pissed. If we were given no answers, people would be pissed. If we were only given some answers, like we were, people are still pissed. You can't please everyone, and having everything spelled out would have disappointed me. We can't know for certain why MIB became the smoke monster and Jack and Desmond didn't, but it probably had something to do with the fact that MIB was corrupted before he went in (what Allison Janney was protecting him from). Like I said, enough answers to draw a conclusion, but never to know for certain.

That's fair enough, that's your opinion and that's the point of this topic, I just have a different one.

Although it's hard to make the assumption that people would be just as pissed with all the answers as they would with none at all... I know I wouldn't.

Capn Doug
05-27-2010, 07:07 PM
That's fair enough, that's your opinion and that's the point of this topic, I just have a different one.

Although it's hard to make the assumption that people would be just as pissed with all the answers as they would with none at all... I know I wouldn't.

Actually it is a fairly easy assumption to make. People want things and if they don't get it, they bitch about it on the internet. It is as inevitable as the tides.

I was satisfied by the ending, mostly because there were enough answers to make it really interesting to go back and watch every season when they release the box set. Some plots had to be abandoned due to practical reasons (Walt aged way too much to be brought back), but that is part of the reality of TV.

And by the way, the first paragraph isn't aimed at you, it is a general comment.

Seraph Xii
05-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Actually it is a fairly easy assumption to make. People want things and if they don't get it, they bitch about it on the internet. It is as inevitable as the tides.

I was satisfied by the ending, mostly because there were enough answers to make it really interesting to go back and watch every season when they release the box set. Some plots had to be abandoned due to practical reasons (Walt aged way too much to be brought back), but that is part of the reality of TV.

And by the way, the first paragraph isn't aimed at you, it is a general comment.

I don't know where you got the impression I thought it was about me.

CodSteaks
05-27-2010, 09:29 PM
I actually loved the last episode. It really brought home the fact that the show was really about the main characters and their experiences, and the island was just the backdrop that provided the adventure for them to be in. As the viewer, we're given the story from the perspective of the characters, and so it makes a certain amount of sense that since they didn't figure out everything about the island, we don't either. You could even say after seeing the end that the main character was 'Jacob's replacement,' and since we didn't know who that was going to be until the end, all the characters were central up until the end, when Jack's story was the final focus. It's different than a story that's told from some godlike perspective where the inner story of the characters doesn't matter as much as the overarching story. If it were like that, I might be more pissed that they didn't explain everything. As it is, I like that they left enough for me to try to still piece together and figure out my own theories for.

Capn Doug
05-27-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't know where you got the impression I thought it was about me.

I was refering to the "if you don't like it, bitch on the internet," thing. Not aimed at you, I was just responding to your comment with a generat one.

exo-apollo
05-28-2010, 10:57 AM
I got the answers I needed, I didn't need too many more things spelled out for me. Some things just happen, there are no reasons. MiB became the smoke monster perhaps because he didn't go in willingly, or with good intentions like Captain Doug said. However both Desmond and Jack went in trying to do good. Or I dunno, maybe MiB took a piss in the sacred pond once he got down there, and becoming a smoke monster was his punishment.

DrydenDon
05-31-2010, 04:24 AM
I think the final episode gave the creators exactly what they wanted: tons of questions left unanswered to keep people talking about the show for years to come and to keep the DVD sales hot well after the show is gone. The finale was decent, not amazing, but I did like it.

pts100
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment[1] in which the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven.

otherwise known as the island in Lost.

I had this worked out at the end of season 4.

they all died on the plane in the 1st episode.

SpleenVent
05-31-2010, 11:17 AM
I enjoyed the finale, but was left with the feeling it was a bit of a Jacob's Ladder rip off with the whole purgatory/letting go of things to find peace thing going on.

ZenTellah
05-31-2010, 03:54 PM
I was disappointed by some of the revelations/lack of answers to many questions, but the emotional portions made up for it. So in the end, I was satisfied by the finale. I still think that they could've gone a better direction with the show after season 1. They spent so much time tearing everyone down, which was the opposite of what I liked in the first season.

Capn Doug
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Purgatory is the condition or process of purification or temporary punishment[1] in which the souls of those who die in a state of grace are made ready for Heaven.

otherwise known as the island in Lost.

I had this worked out at the end of season 4.

they all died on the plane in the 1st episode.

No they didn't. Listen to the speech Jack's father gave at the end of the episode. Some died well after Jack, meaning that they lived for a long time after the series ended. The "flash-sideways" was a puragtory of sorts, allowing them to all meet up before they moved on, but the island was a real physical place where they were all alive.

exo-apollo
05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah people have gotta stop layin down the theory that they all died in the plane crash.

golfin18
06-02-2010, 01:43 PM
More answers maybe would have been good, but overall I liked the ending. Left a lot up to the view to figure out.

MundyGG
07-18-2010, 09:57 PM
i understand why people wanted more answers but the show is called lost for a reason, and the final lived up to the title and the rest of the show

MundyGG
07-18-2010, 09:59 PM
also i can't see how so many people think that they died on flight 815, when they explain the ending in more detail than any other part of the show

Habitso
07-18-2010, 10:16 PM
meeh, they rounded it up for all the main characters and most of the main things were done. I'm happy with it, I know a lot of people are and a few people won't be but thats how a lotof tv shows are, not everyones happy.

chickenhead87
07-18-2010, 11:12 PM
Their was some questions that i want answered but it didnt take anything away from the fact that it was a great show and a great end and if you think the islands purgatory watch the last 10 mins and listen to Christian Shephards speech to Jack.

Darth Trom
07-20-2010, 03:00 AM
I enjoyed the ending although I do wish they would have answered more questions... but it is like Jacob's mother said... "If answer your questions, that will only lead to more questions."

The one thing I was disappointed in, was how easily the Smoke monster was destroyed.

The one thing I liked was how a couple of episodes before the finale they made the smoke monster have a sympathetic side.

StayonTarget
07-21-2010, 04:21 AM
"Who wants some eternity water? Whether you loved it, hated it, or just didn't understand it, there's no denying that everyone has an opinion on how it should have ended. For those unfulfilled fans, here's our take. Check out our website for cool extras: http://www.howitshouldhaveended.com How It Should Have Ended Comedy Series LOST Sci Fi Action Animation Animated"

How LOST Should Have Ended

Tinysmitty
07-21-2010, 06:09 AM
i was that LOST was leaving this earth. Most people over the net say that the last episode kinda sucked. I thought it was ok. Well it wasnt the best.

Shisno
07-25-2010, 12:53 AM
I thought it was a great way to end it all. I can't wait for extra footage on the Season 6 DVD.

BAMF Sangwich
07-30-2010, 03:05 AM
I don't get why anyone likes this show, every question answered theres 5 more