PDA

View Full Version : Advertisements Galore!

Shadowfan789
05-28-2010, 01:51 AM
Did anyone else happen to notice all of the advertisements in this game? The verizon phone/billboards. The car you drive is a Ford and it clearly showcases the MS Sync system. Heck, even the batteries you collect are Energizer batteries. Everything in this game seemed to have a brand name behind it.

*Mini Spoiler* PS: If you live in the US, you have the extra benefit of the MS Tag easter egg. The easter egg is 3 different bar codes that if you have the MS Tag app, you can scan them to reveal 3 different phone numbers. (look at the phone easter egg thread for more info.) Everything in this game has a brand name behind it and it's... a little ridiculous.

ZOMBINOX
05-28-2010, 05:15 PM
Yah I agree somewhat, but for me it made it feel a little more real. That's all you see in real life is advertising every where. Made this small town of bright falls more real for me. (I know that wasn't Remedy's intention though, they probably made a fortune off it! lol)

Zee
05-29-2010, 01:36 AM
That's all you see in real life is advertising every where. Made this small town of bright falls more real for me.
Normally, the advertising also makes the game feel more real to me also, but most of the times, it was just shoved in your face while playing. It just doesn't fit very well with this genre.

oXStarKillerXo
05-29-2010, 11:53 AM
Didn't really notice all that much to be honest. Used to it in real life i guess?

tobiasdennis
05-29-2010, 04:03 PM
The only time I was really like "pfft come on" was when you start one chapter right in front of a huge verizon billboard. The rest must have been tastefully enough for me not to notice / care. It's a great game, no point in crying because he uses energizer batteries...

petrik007
05-29-2010, 09:21 PM
There is nothing wrong about product placement. Few more bucks for developer/producer with no harm done. At least for me. I really liked the idea of Xbox 360 console placed in the game industry guy's room in funny farm.

Pearson
05-29-2010, 09:35 PM
I really didn't pay all that much attention to the advertising except for when it was shoved in my face. Honestly, I really wasn't trying to look for any advertising.

KJHall
05-30-2010, 12:03 AM
For the most part, the advertisements helped make the game more real to me. Now, of course, they could have gone the GTA IV route, and made fake adverts, but there is not harm in making a little extra money. At least they aren't being like Guitar Hero or most Sports games and having real time ads.

Anyways, I lol'd at the TV ads, and the only ad that I had any problem with was the huge Verizon ad, mentioned by someone else. I felt that if they were gonna use that much space, they could've used a better looking billboard, or at least a smaller one.

Battosai343
05-30-2010, 02:59 AM
The only time I was really like "pfft come on" was when you start one chapter right in front of a huge verizon billboard. The rest must have been tastefully enough for me not to notice / care. It's a great game, no point in crying because he uses energizer batteries...
Ha, same. That was really the only one I was slightly annoyed with. Otherwise you have to go out of your way to notice the others.

Zee
05-30-2010, 06:01 AM
There an achievement about turning on a TV full of advertisements. What do you mean the game didn't shove it in your face? I'm not saying In-game advertising is a bad thing, but I how they went with it didn't fit with the game's atmosphere.

Karachi King
05-30-2010, 12:51 PM
The only ones that I felt were a little jarring were the giant billboard and the Verizon TV ad, but they are two tiny sections over 10+ hours of gameplay, so I don't think it's a huge deal.

trublustuuk
05-30-2010, 02:00 PM
There is nothing wrong about product placement. Few more bucks for developer/producer with no harm done. At least for me. I really liked the idea of Xbox 360 console placed in the game industry guy's room in funny farm.
That was funny,plus the game is called Bright Falls and more or less the same cover as Alan Wake. lol

Tbh the ads didn't bother me, didn't even take any notice till I read this thread

DENAz666
05-31-2010, 01:20 AM
I actually think they've done it well. At least its not stupid advertising, where its blatant and in your face. This type of advertising just seems a natural part of the game, the game already had batteries, why not name them energizer? Actually adds to the immersion in a way.

Quack Afflack
05-31-2010, 01:38 AM
I found a xbox 360. Also my game says i unlocked 37 achievements and said i have a 610G in it ATM. But when i check my profile on my xbox it says i only have 600G. Has this happened to anybody else??

Giptuc
05-31-2010, 02:09 AM
That was funny,plus the game is called Bright Falls and more or less the same cover as Alan Wake. lol

Tbh the ads didn't bother me, didn't even take any notice till I read this thread

Thought is was called night springs? Or was that the tv show?? Personally i didnt it. I havnt really noticed them, except the batteries, but teh thing on the screen doesnt say pick up energizer batteries so i dont really care tbh

ZonaBoy89
05-31-2010, 03:29 AM
It really doesn't bug me very much its not the first game to use them look at Splinter Cell Double Agent he uses a Nokia phone and the car his boss drives was a Chrysler 300c. Not too big a deal.

infernoterrorize
05-31-2010, 05:40 AM
we dont need all this advertisement in games.

Senate4242
05-31-2010, 06:03 AM
I'm conflicted. In past games, I always thought fake brand names were silly. Now that real names are used, I don't want the advertising in the game.

Really though it only ruined immersion in a couple spots. One was the xbox in the room, and the other was the billboard. I did find it humorous that the town only had Energizers available, not a single Duracell to be seen.

wildwest08
05-31-2010, 11:14 PM
i thought the advertisments made the game seem more real, idk why people are making a big deal of it. drive through any city or town and all there is in advertisements and promotional materials

Shadowfan789
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
Everyone says that the big huge Verizon sign lost the immersion... but I was more phased by the opening cinematic after you get off the ferry. It shows an in car shot and the big Microsoft SYNC icon is directly in the middle of the screen. I know Microsoft published the game... but there was just way too many advertisements here. Sometimes they were subtle, like the batteries, but other times they were just planted in there and it lost my immersion.

Logan I
06-03-2010, 06:12 AM
The batteries were a good example of advertisement in a game that isn't too intrusive but I agree the billboard and the Microsoft Sync logo were a bit too much. I didn't mind so much the vehicles, at least they put non-Ford vehicles in; a Lincoln which is still owned by Ford, and then some non-branded vehicles like the Jeep looking like thing

Kahne
06-08-2010, 05:22 AM
In game advertising is just beginning...I thought this game did it tastefully.

crewdy
06-08-2010, 12:50 PM
One was the xbox in the room, and the other was the billboard.

Haha, the first time I saw the Xbox I had a chuckle, but it was a bit out of place.

I never saw the billboard though as far as I know, or just didn't pay enough attention to it when I did see it? For this I don't think the advertising was particularly intrusive at all, not over-the-top like some games.

Shrimp my Ride
06-09-2010, 01:30 AM
Because the game is supposed to be set in the modern day, I didn't mind most of them...in fact they made it feel a bit more real at times. But that Verizon TV commercial did take it a little too far, IMO.

thedoob
06-09-2010, 04:26 AM
we dont need all this advertisement in games.
Coming from a guy claiming Borderlands the best game ever I'm not surprised you feel this way. The advertising was real, they made money off of it and if you enjoyed the game then who cares?

Giptuc
06-10-2010, 12:45 AM
Alright, the last chapter is just stupid hahaha... There is a Verizon advertisment every 20 seconds..

TruTrini4LYFE
06-11-2010, 01:22 AM
I'm not sure why everyone is acting all this....its not like they hold a flashlight and gun to your head and told you to buy or use there products or else they gonna take the game back.....

doomey
06-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Lets face it Energiser cant be happy that their batteries only last a few seconds in the game.

RadiantViper
06-12-2010, 02:13 AM
http://art.penny-arcade.com/photos/879016622_ENmmM-L.jpg

Strato Streak
06-13-2010, 07:27 AM
Ha thats a great way to sum up this whole thread with the Penny Arcade comic strip.

I found the TV related achievement a bit too much...all this stuffs going on around you, and instead you take the time to watch an ad for Verizon for a few gamerscore points....not too cool imo.

sokmaster
06-13-2010, 12:02 PM
Regarding the TV ad achievement: I think knowing of the achievement before playing through is what causes the lost feeling of immersion; you are essentially taking yourself out of the story and reminding yourself you have to find that tv to watch an ad. If people didn't know they would get an achievement and were focused and already immersed in the story, why would they think to stop by the television instead of hurrying up to get the hell out of the crazy lodge?

The only advertisement I had _mild_ problem with was the big Verizon billboard. The ads and sponsors could have been A LOT worse; they could have had commercials before or during every television broadcast and had messages during the radio messages, and they could also have gotten a coffee sponsor and had all the thermoses say Starbucks, etc. If the in game ads and sponsors were what helped finance this game for its release to finally see the light of day, then I'm glad they were put in a mostly tasteful manner.

RadiantViper
06-13-2010, 12:23 PM
Ha thats a great way to sum up this whole thread with the Penny Arcade comic strip.

I found the TV related achievement a bit too much...all this stuffs going on around you, and instead you take the time to watch an ad for Verizon for a few gamerscore points....not too cool imo.

Agreed, the achievement would be silly but manageable if it happened, say in the city or flashback sections. But the fact that it happens during a pretty scary moment ruins it.

Strato Streak
06-13-2010, 02:34 PM
Regarding the TV ad achievement: I think knowing of the achievement before playing through is what causes the lost feeling of immersion; you are essentially taking yourself out of the story and reminding yourself you have to find that tv to watch an ad. If people didn't know they would get an achievement and were focused and already immersed in the story, why would they think to stop by the television instead of hurrying up to get the hell out of the crazy lodge?

The only advertisement I had _mild_ problem with was the big Verizon billboard. The ads and sponsors could have been A LOT worse; they could have had commercials before or during every television broadcast and had messages during the radio messages, and they could also have gotten a coffee sponsor and had all the thermoses say Starbucks, etc. If the in game ads and sponsors were what helped finance this game for its release to finally see the light of day, then I'm glad they were put in a mostly tasteful manner.

I agree with your point about the ad money and the 'mostly' tasteful placing. It was a bit of a surprise to see how many brands they got in the game without taking it too far. Good thing they didn't go overboard with the billboards like the ones in GRAW2. That was just ridiculous, some of them were ground level. In fact, Ubisoft totally go overboard with ads. I remember playing SC: Double Agent and seeing Phillips ads in the Shanghai level - billboards, actual shaving machines, shaving gel ... the works.

Wehttam
07-02-2010, 10:00 PM
Lol but the energizers are always needing to be changed, should have used duracells...

OhStressyJessy
07-03-2010, 12:45 AM
Lol but the energizers are always needing to be changed, should have used duracells...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Pretty poor advertising if you ask me. ;P

The only one that really bothered me, like so many of you, was the Verizon TV ad. We were deliberately looking around for the Night Springs TV episodes and checked all of the TVs (granted, probably not the best time to stop and watch TV). I was kind of mad that you got an achievement for watching an ad... IMO that's shoving it in our faces.

wario2295
07-06-2010, 09:00 AM
I didn't mind too much until the boob tube achievement which sucked. I mean they placed it in a super tense part too way out of place.

Splatterer Ross
07-08-2010, 06:25 PM
The only one that bothered me was the entire Verizon commercial that just totally killed the atmosphere for me at the funny farm in Episode 4. It's the TV for the Boob Tube achievement, right before you exit the building.