PDA

View Full Version : The Flash Races For a Greenlight

B1GM13
05-28-2010, 02:48 PM
Despite the fact that the DC character is the fastest man alive, efforts to get his movie made have been stuck at a permanent slog thanks to Development Hell (well played, irony). But, it looks like Warner Brothers is getting closer to giving The Flash (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/481/481750.html) and his movie a greenlight.

The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3ifeb8cbc990332c1c8ece0b50741f3da3) seemingly Sydney Bristow'd themselves into a Time Warner investor meeting, where Warner Bros. chairman and CEO Barry Meyer shared that the studio was getting close to greenlighting a movie about Barry Allen/the Scarlet Speedster.

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/109/1093439/the_flash_1274999400.jpg - DC
The Flash - Coming Summer 2012? 2013? Make it happen, WB.

During the presentation, Meyer shared that DC's comics properties are key parts of Warners' future. In addition to Batman, Superman (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/812/812928.html) and Green Lantern (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/040/040980.html), heroes like Aquaman and Wonder Woman (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/924/924068.html) (still?!) are also in various stages of development.

Last time we checked, comics deity and DC Entertainment's chief creative officer, Geoff Johns (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/142/14224167.html), was working on The Flash screenplay.

With Batman 3 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/961/961205.html) and the new Nolan-supervised Superman reboot arriving in 2012, and Green Lantern hitting theatres June 2011, it looks like a Flash movie will be in good company, should it find its way to theatres in the next two or three years.

Source - IGN.com

i think the release of this will have alot to do with how well / poor green latern does.

Batman3 will definatly make money... alot rests on how well Jonnah Hex does next month, and GL next year.

Marvel seem to have the comic to movie scene sorted.

koopakiller64
05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
They're trying to make an Aquaman movie too? As much as I like Marvel and some DC characters, I don't think I can watch a guy talk to fish for about 1-2 hours.

Ryan2099
05-28-2010, 11:11 PM
Wonder of we will see a Justice League movie in the future?

Jemocasa
05-29-2010, 12:02 AM
No. DC movies don't admit that other heroes exist.

Iconoclast
05-30-2010, 06:47 PM

With the exception of Batman, I'd have to say you're right on the money. I always liked Marvel comics better (again, with the exception of Batman), and it seems it's been easier for producers to release movies based on Marvel comic books than DC. Comic book politics anyone?

Death Metal Jim
05-31-2010, 02:49 AM
Awesome. I'm hoping this will eventually lead to a Justice League movie, kinda like what Marvel is doing. I've always liked DC better than Marvel, and am hoping they can get out of the Batman monopoly of DC comic movies.

On a side note, i'm really hoping we get a Superman movie with Doomsday in it. With the way CGI is today, they could make it look just as good as the comic it'd be based off of.

dakisbac
05-31-2010, 03:06 AM
Marvel comics >>>>>>> DC comics. In fact, the only DC comic character I somewhat like is, of course, Batman.

Flash sucks.

Crimson Son88
06-03-2010, 02:02 AM
I'm looking forward to this movie The Flash has always been my favorite superhero.

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 02:36 AM
Man, people do not give The Flash enough credit. The comicbook industry would not be what it is today without him, hell it might not even exist.
Here's some history for you people who don't know better.
1) The Flash was the first superhero with a single superpower, which forced writers to come up with better stories and show a new kind of creativity by expanding upon a single aspect, rather then have someone who can do everything *coughSuperman*
2) After the first World War, the industry was dead, since comic books were a guy thing, and all the dudes were off at war. Well someone decided to republish The Flash, and he sold, alot, and then came the Silver Age of comics which saw the return of the classics (Like Supes) and spawned just about every single major comic book hero to date during that Age.
Also, about the whole DC Vs. Marvel thing, here's how it breaks down.
Generally speaking - Marvel has the better stories, but DC has the better heroes.
Every now and then, this rule is broken, afterall the greatest story to ever grace the industry is without a doubt...The Death of Superman in 1993. Biggest event in comic book history, and there's no chance Marvel (Or any other comic book company) could ever take that away from DC. Oh, also Infinite Crisis is also one of the best written stories to ever grace the industry as well, showing that DC can write the best stuff.

I've always stood on the fence between the two companies. I love The Flash (Specificly Barry Allen,the second Flash), always been my favourite, and he's arguably the most powerful force ever created (Infinite Mass Punch, anyone?), but I've always loved Thor and Deadpool (Just not as much as Flash, nowhere close).
But then Disney, the root of all evil bought Marvel and just like that, DC wins, since they didn't sell out.

KFZ Scrubs
06-03-2010, 03:22 AM
Green lantern will do good.... because Ryan Reynolds is him right?
I think so, that'll warrant me watching it 2-3 times. Also..... justice league anybody?
Hahaha, they're doing an avengers one... a justice league is imminent.... i just hope aqua man isn't in it.

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 03:29 AM
People give Aquaman too much flak. He'd "fuck your shit up" as kids say it these days.

Iconoclast
06-03-2010, 05:05 AM
People give Aquaman too much flak. He'd "fuck your shit up" as kids say it these days.

WIN + QFT.

Sigh, what a lovely thought before I go to bed :)

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 05:27 AM
I know, right?
Seriously, what would you do if you saw this man coming for you
http://blacksportsonline.com/index/aquaman.jpg
You'd fucking run, he has a harpoon for a fist!

KFZ Scrubs
06-03-2010, 05:58 AM
Hahaha, well he looks bad ass in that picture... but the two justice league movies i just watched made him look like a bitch.
Who saw Crisis of two earths?

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 06:33 AM
Hahaha, well he looks bad ass in that picture... but the two justice league movies i just watched made him look like a bitch.
Who saw Crisis of two earths?
Yeah, but it was awhile ago.

Death Metal Jim
06-03-2010, 12:19 PM
Man, people do not give The Flash enough credit. The comicbook industry would not be what it is today without him, hell it might not even exist.
1) The Flash was the first superhero with a single superpower, which forced writers to come up with better stories and show a new kind of creativity by expanding upon a single aspect, rather then have someone who can do everything *coughSuperman*
2) After the first World War, the industry was dead, since comic books were a guy thing, and all the dudes were off at war. Well someone decided to republish The Flash, and he sold, alot, and then came the Silver Age of comics which saw the return of the classics (Like Supes) and spawned just about every single major comic book hero to date during that Age.
Generally speaking - Marvel has the better stories, but DC has the better heroes.
Every now and then, this rule is broken, afterall the greatest story to ever grace the industry is without a doubt...The Death of Superman in 1993. Biggest event in comic book history, and there's no chance Marvel (Or any other comic book company) could ever take that away from DC. Oh, also Infinite Crisis is also one of the best written stories to ever grace the industry as well, showing that DC can write the best stuff.

I've always stood on the fence between the two companies. I love The Flash (Specificly Barry Allen,the second Flash), always been my favourite, and he's arguably the most powerful force ever created (Infinite Mass Punch, anyone?), but I've always loved Thor and Deadpool (Just not as much as Flash, nowhere close).
But then Disney, the root of all evil bought Marvel and just like that, DC wins, since they didn't sell out.

I agree with just about everything you wrote (except for Deadpool, he's alright but gets fuckin annoying after a while, loved when the Punisher kicked his ass all over the place :p)
Marvel hasn't even come close to the event that was Death Of Superman. I remember everyone was shocked at that. You'd get people who didn't read it of course saying "i'm sure they used kryptonite to kill him" and then when you explain to them that it was just Doomsday wailing on him the entire time they had a shocked look on their face. Personally I think this should be the basis of the new Superman movie that's supposed to be coming out sometime. I know they made an animated movie about it, but it was slighty dissappointing (when compared to the comic). Doomsday's still the only villian i've ever seen give Superman such an incredible beating, hell the Hulk got his ass kicked TWICE against Superman and he's easily the stongest Marvel character.

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 12:35 PM
I agree with just about everything you wrote (except for Deadpool, he's alright but gets fuckin annoying after a while, loved when the Punisher kicked his ass all over the place :p)
Marvel hasn't even come close to the event that was Death Of Superman. I remember everyone was shocked at that. You'd get people who didn't read it of course saying "i'm sure they used kryptonite to kill him" and then when you explain to them that it was just Doomsday wailing on him the entire time they had a shocked look on their face. Personally I think this should be the basis of the new Superman movie that's supposed to be coming out sometime. I know they made an animated movie about it, but it was slighty dissappointing (when compared to the comic). Doomsday's still the only villian i've ever seen give Superman such an incredible beating, hell the Hulk got his ass kicked TWICE against Superman and he's easily the stongest Marvel character.
The Death of Superman is the only comic book story to be big enough to be covered in the news. It truly is the industry biggest moment.
Also, Superman and Hulk never actually fought, considering when Marvel and DC united, the winner was decided by votes, then the writers made the story from there.
The only people that have legitimately dealt with Superman are Doomsday, and The Flash (Considering he dealt with Superman-Prime, who's faster, stronger, smarter, and immune to kryptonite).

Death Metal Jim
06-03-2010, 01:00 PM
The Death of Superman is the only comic book story to be big enough to be covered in the news. It truly is the industry biggest moment.
Also, Superman and Hulk never actually fought, considering when Marvel and DC united, the winner was decided by votes, then the writers made the story from there.
The only people that have legitimately dealt with Superman are Doomsday, and The Flash (Considering he dealt with Superman-Prime, who's faster, stronger, smarter, and immune to kryptonite).

They actually fought twice dude, once in the late 70s or early 80s, and then again in the mid to late 90s. Both times Superman won the fight, although like you said the second time was fan voted.

B1GM13
06-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Captain America's death made BBC News?? :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6431619.stm

hodge
06-03-2010, 02:59 PM
Yes I love the Flash!

BedCommando
06-03-2010, 03:32 PM
They actually fought twice dude, once in the late 70s or early 80s, and then again in the mid to late 90s. Both times Superman won the fight, although like you said the second time was fan voted.
First time was focused on Superman and Spider-man against Doom, Hulk only made a cameo.
Captain America's death made BBC News?? :p

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/6431619.stm
Whaaat? He didn't even make it into American news LOL.
Oh wait, it's because Britain is boring :P
But you got me none-the-less. I was also referring to primetime news on TV, should have been more specific.

B1GM13
06-03-2010, 03:51 PM
Whaaat? He didn't even make it into American news LOL.
Oh wait, it's because Britain is boring :P
But you got me none-the-less. I was also referring to primetime news on TV, should have been more specific.

yeah it didnt make huge tv news coverage... just the internet.

and Britain Boring :eek:

yeah your right about that! i've never been to USA, but really really really want to go to New York and pretty much all the West Coast

Crimson Son88
06-03-2010, 08:07 PM

Super boy-prime isn't immune to kryptonite. He's just immune to earth-1 and earth-2's kryptonite.

Capn Doug
06-03-2010, 09:30 PM

Actually, when they rebooted the Flash in the 50's apparrently the writer had no idea that it was a similar character to the character that existed in the 40's. Someone figured it out very early and not too much later DC created the Earth-1/Earth-2 concept which screwed up continuity so much that they needed 3 reboots and counting (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis).

The Death of Superman was not the best story ever, merely the biggest selling one since they sold a lot to people who read it in the past (my grandmother bought a copy for each of her grandkids) and didn't realize the cardinal rule of comic books: Only Bucky stays dead (and even that isn't true anymore). Seriously, they punched each other to death. Superman has an amzing array of abilities and they punched each other to death. Best story for me: Sandman by Niel Gaiman. So awesome, but off topic.

Flash is awesome when he is well written, as is Green Lantern, so I have high hopes for the movies, if they put the story first.

BedCommando
06-04-2010, 05:59 AM
Super boy-prime isn't immune to kryptonite. He's just immune to earth-2's kryptonite.
Touche

Actually, when they rebooted the Flash in the 50's apparrently the writer had no idea that it was a similar character to the character that existed in the 40's. Someone figured it out very early and not too much later DC created the Earth-1/Earth-2 concept which screwed up continuity so much that they needed 3 reboots and counting (Crisis on Infinite Earths, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis).
You do you know Barry Allen calls himself "The Flash" because his character was a fan of a comic book series called "The Flash" in his universe, right? Meaning that the writer did know about him, considering he based his character of Jay Garrick (The first Flash)

The Death of Superman was not the best story ever, merely the biggest selling one since they sold a lot to people who read it in the past (my grandmother bought a copy for each of her grandkids) and didn't realize the cardinal rule of comic books: Only Bucky stays dead (and even that isn't true anymore). Seriously, they punched each other to death. Superman has an amzing array of abilities and they punched each other to death. Best story for me: Sandman by Niel Gaiman. So awesome, but off topic.
The best writing makes the unbelievable - believable, the impossible - possible. Superman tried using his other powers against Doomsday, but to no avail, Doomsday was just too powerful, and when all else fails, you have to just duke it out to see who's the bigger man. If taking the ultimate risk and killing the biggest, most recognizable character in the industry isn't the greatest, most ballsy story ever, then nothing is, and never will be the greatest.

Flash is awesome when he is well written, as is Green Lantern, so I have high hopes for the movies, if they put the story first.
That goes for all comic book heroes.

elephantd
06-04-2010, 07:38 AM
Cpt. America made TV news in America.(for obvious reasons.)

I don't really care about who creates which superhero. That being said, Punisher is by far my favorite comic charater. I also like the Gears of War comics easily taking second place.(love me that Gears universe I do.) What got me hooked on comics was Wolverine though, something about him I could read comics/watch chartoons with him in it all day.

BedCommando
06-04-2010, 07:42 AM
Cpt. America made TV news in America.(for obvious reasons.)

I don't really care about who creates which superhero. That being said, Punisher is by far my favorite comic charater. I also like the Gears of War comics easily taking second place.(love me that Gears universe I do.) What got me hooked on comics was Wolverine though, something about him I could read comics/watch chartoons with him in it all day.
I don't recall ever hearing about his death (Outside the comic book universe, anyway).
Also, Marvel is behind Punisher (If you didn't know) since he debuted in a Spiderman comic. While I don't really follow Frank Castle, I did read he was brought back Frankenstein-style, and now kicks ass as a zombie.

Dingy1331
06-04-2010, 07:47 AM
i think the release of this will have alot to do with how well / poor green latern does.

I think that your right, but this sucks... becasue Flash would be a cool movie i think..... And i just dont see the green lantern being a huge success...

Mister Mercer
06-06-2010, 12:59 AM

only because dc has a deal to strictly do movies through warner brothers

Capn Doug
06-06-2010, 03:32 AM
You do you know Barry Allen calls himself "The Flash" because his character was a fan of a comic book series called "The Flash" in his universe, right? Meaning that the writer did know about him, considering he based his character of Jay Garrick (The first Flash)

The best writing makes the unbelievable - believable, the impossible - possible. Superman tried using his other powers against Doomsday, but to no avail, Doomsday was just too powerful, and when all else fails, you have to just duke it out to see who's the bigger man. If taking the ultimate risk and killing the biggest, most recognizable character in the industry isn't the greatest, most ballsy story ever, then nothing is, and never will be the greatest.

During the lead up to Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC explained that it was actually a coincidence that they very quickly rectified. They may have rectified it in the first few issues, maybe even the first issue (as in the editor may have seen the story and suggested a name change to "The Flash"), but at any rate, the two characters having the same name was said to be a coincidence. That created problems in that Batman is Bruce Wayne in both universes and yet one is a comic book in the other version and yet no one figured it out.

As for Superman, yes, the idea was sound in that no one actually thought it was possible, and it was quite moving at the time, but it is a story that has not stood the test of time. I have been a comic book fan since those days and have many other stories that I would put above the Death of Superman on the all-time best list.