PDA

View Full Version : Coffee Thermoses - any real purpose?

kestrel
05-28-2010, 04:43 PM
After picking up coffee thermoses, does that help Alan's stamina so he can sprint longer?

littlejay
05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
just something stupid to collect for an achievement ;)

ZOMBINOX
05-28-2010, 05:09 PM
No just a collectable, if you have the walk through though, Alan talks about finding them and who left them behind, etc...

Kryptech
05-28-2010, 05:31 PM
OMG I would have loved that sprint stamina thing. Alan Wake is kind of a wuss and a dick. I wish he had ran track in college or something. I think too many collectible in this game for sure. Its like Remedy added them as an afterthought. I can understand the pages, which are cool, but he shouldve looked at them in his hand not pausing the game, it ruined immersion for me.

littlejay
05-28-2010, 06:40 PM
OMG I would have loved that sprint stamina thing. Alan Wake is kind of a wuss and a dick. I wish he had ran track in college or something. I think too many collectible in this game for sure. Its like Remedy added them as an afterthought. I can understand the pages, which are cool, but he shouldve looked at them in his hand not pausing the game, it ruined immersion for me.

then the game would have been about a track star and not an author. making it not as good :p

Volzagia
05-28-2010, 06:43 PM
They're just a collectable, Good idea though :p

TigerGenocide
05-28-2010, 10:04 PM
These achievements (thermoses and any similar collectible in other games) are the worst IMO. Their sole purpose in the game is to net you an achievement, and do nothing in-game whatsoever. As stated above, why not have them do something, even as insignificant as increased stamina?

Langeboy
05-28-2010, 10:09 PM
It's a bit over-kill. Find, 91 pages, then another 15 in another mode. Then find chests, radio stations, TV program's.. Did we really need 250+ things to find?

xhunterrrr
05-28-2010, 10:45 PM
It's a bit over-kill. Find, 91 pages, then another 15 in another mode. Then find chests, radio stations, TV program's.. Did we really need 250+ things to find?

Well, seeing as the pages, radios, tvs, and chests all add to the game and story, I think it is completely fine that they added them. I just found the randomly placed coffee thermoses funny.

oXStarKillerXo
05-28-2010, 11:10 PM
The coffee thermos were a bit of a stupid idea. They should have picked something else in my opinion.

The sprinting thing can be annoying, but adds to the tenacity when your rushing for that beam of light when your overpowered and low on health.

DeceptiveJunk
05-28-2010, 11:31 PM
The coffee thermos' were inspired by the show Twin Peaks. The main character had a love of coffee

Langeboy
05-29-2010, 01:03 AM
Well, seeing as the pages, radios, tvs, and chests all add to the game and story, I think it is completely fine that they added them. I just found the randomly placed coffee thermoses funny.
Well there's my problem. I found it great looking for manuscripts and reading the story, then playing it. I did enjoy listening to the radio stations and watching the televisions. Chests helped when a difficult part of the game was coming up.. Coffee thermoses seemed to be a 'filler' of the game, I loved the game, this is the only thing I didn't enjoy.
Currently I'm stuck just needing 2 chests and 2 coffee thermoses, unfortunately there's no way of telling which ones I have and have not gotten. Time for another play-through! :Bounce:

Zee
05-29-2010, 01:46 AM
"Hey follow me Alan, I'll tell you whats happening... Where you going? Why the hell are you looking for coffee in between trees? I have some in my house, why the hell are you looking for them under cars?"

"I know what happened, I have to go to the lake, right after I look behind this tree for a coffee thermos."

Anyway, that's my version of the game.

kestrel
05-29-2010, 02:39 AM
The coffee thermos' were inspired by the show Twin Peaks. The main character had a love of coffee

Interesting and good knowledge on your part as I was not aware.

Deadman63
05-29-2010, 04:30 AM
Can you go back and replay an episode to get a collectibles that you've missed? Some of the thermos locations are annoying to get on hard.

xhunterrrr
05-29-2010, 04:32 AM
Can you go back and replay an episode to get a collectibles that you've missed? Some of the thermos locations are annoying to get on hard.

Yes, you can.

Myndsync
05-29-2010, 08:37 AM
yes... any stats that u get stay with u, as long as the game is saved to your xbox

Tyger7
05-29-2010, 10:20 AM
I think it's more of an inside joke for the specific state that it is set in (Washington). I'm from Washington and coffee is kind of a big thing here! This is where Star Bucks started. Sometimes you'll see 2-3 starbucks in the same few mile radius. Also there are tons of outdoors people that love to camp/hike/fish/hunt here. And they always have coffee for their early adventures, specifically in a coffee thermos :) I really think that's why they did it. Seeing them personally didn't make me think "wtf are these here for". They seemed very in place, considering the area he is in is filled with outdoors type stuff.

Roberoo
05-29-2010, 10:36 AM
It's a reference to Twin Peaks. In fact the achievement for finding 25 is named after a scene in this:

YouTube- Twin Peaks Coffee

Around 0:59

Pearson
05-30-2010, 03:47 AM
After picking up coffee thermoses, does that help Alan's stamina so he can sprint longer? Now that is a novel idea, help Alan with his stamina problem, but I can see Remedy done that though. To make an intense situation, that much more intense.

I X I Shock I
05-30-2010, 05:36 AM
Dude, this guy is killing shit and running all through the night. I think he is entitled to his 100 cups of joe. XP

ConfusedGeek
05-31-2010, 04:25 PM
i so was hoping that barry or the sheriff would of yelled out:

"really? you need coffee now?"

wildwest08
05-31-2010, 11:12 PM
i love the stamina idea, he runs like 2 feet before almost fainting

pcgamer11
06-01-2010, 06:52 PM
I think the thermoses are a nod to 'Twin Peaks'