PDA

View Full Version : Save/Reload glitch

Ruble
05-29-2010, 03:40 AM
This was a problem in Doom as well, but it's something I'd have thought would be remedied in the port of Doom II. But sadly not.

Saving on a narrow ledge can be fatal to your game. There's a glitch where if you load your save (if, like, you die), you can fall off the ledge you're standing on when you re-load, and, as was in my case, become stuck with no way out.

It happened for me on level 9: The Pit. I picked up the berserk powerup, so I saved my progress. I then died, so I reloaded my save... and fell into the gap between the elevator where all the imps were, and the platform with the berserk powerup. Unable to move, unable to escape. Every time I loaded, the same thing happened.

So now, I'll either have to commit suicide with my rocket launcher and start the level with just a pistol, or start the whole game over so I can recover my backpack, Super Shotgun, chainsaw, BFG, all my weapons. I'll probably take the latter since I really can't be bothered fighting the insane amount of enemies with just a handgun.

It annoys me. It defies all your gaming sensibilities that you can save on a perfectly fine area of a platform, only for you to become trapped when you reload. I know this is a game from the mid 1990's we're talking about, but this is a port to the Xbox 360. Surely they can fix little glitches like that.

I love this game. It's great. But... agh.

EDIT: Turns out that the gap was the wall that you have to drop with a switch. Which means that it makes even less sense because reloading the game caused me to drop through what should have been a solid object.

MXR5150
05-29-2010, 03:48 AM
thanks for the tip, I'll have to watch out for this.

I made it a habit to use several save slots, say 7 or so. It may seem excessive but it works. If I screw up somewhere down the line, I can pinpoint where I went wrong more easily. it's also very useful in RPGs with numerous save slots.

Ruble
05-29-2010, 04:25 AM
thanks for the tip, I'll have to watch out for this.

I made it a habit to use several save slots, say 7 or so. It may seem excessive but it works. If I screw up somewhere down the line, I can pinpoint where I went wrong more easily. it's also very useful in RPGs with numerous save slots.

I can attest to that, by the time I finished Fallout 3 I had somewhere over 1,100 unique savestates, including all the DLC. I guess because this is an FPS and there's a limit to the save states you can have (I think) I just kept saving over the same file over and over.

I was only up to level 9, so I hadn't lost all that much, and it's going to be a little quicker getting back there because I know where the stuff is, but... agh. It annoys me that I should have to start over because I fell through a solid object and got stuck. =(

sark
05-29-2010, 10:08 AM
this was allways a problem in the original games, good to see they included everything :-)

Xeogred
05-29-2010, 11:31 AM
Gotta say I'm kind of disappointed this port has almost no "upgrades" or differences from the Doom one. I absolutely love both series to death, but I think what 3D Realms did with the Duke Nukem 3D port was absolutely amazing work, good deal of options, the rewind thing was pretty cool, etc. Lots of polish.

Took me awhile getting used to the strict set sensitivity here in Doom again, but oh well.

Balc0ra
05-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Never got that glitch in this game or in doom 1.
But then again I always save at the start of the level. And a 2nd one or 3th one for the progress on the level. So If I do screw up. Worst thing is that I have to start again form the 1st save at the start of the level. On UV I did normally save every 2-3 min or every room I cleared with more then 75 health and a okey amount of ammo.

Evil Dobermann
05-29-2010, 03:11 PM
I didn't get this glitch, either. So far, I used multiple save slots to see if I screw up later to load a previous one to make things better.

But hey, Map 9 isn't too bad. You can rush through and get at least the shotgun to be prepared for Map 10. :woop:

Voisin
05-29-2010, 03:13 PM
Had that happen to me also today on The Chasm I believe was the name. I did manage to get unstuck tho by turning around and shooting and it popped me out. Not sure if it will work or exact position I was in to get it to, I was facing away from the wall I was, but it seemed to be different places both times I did it. Hope that helps if you still have the save.

Snotty
05-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Starting again with a pistol isnt the end of the world. Levels seem to be designed to give you weapons you need early in the level. Thats how you re arm after respawn in co-op as well.

Iron_Man_91
05-29-2010, 10:49 PM
Hmm.. thats never happend to me before