PDA

View Full Version : Sick of collectibles

Maximus 1482
05-29-2010, 06:49 PM
did anyone else feel that 300+ collectibles was excessive for a 6 episode game?

Red Testament
05-29-2010, 07:14 PM
Meh. Didn't really bother me. You don't even have to get all the can pyramids.

Gor1lla
05-29-2010, 07:34 PM
I'm not a fan of collectibles, but Alan Wake Collectibles are okay. They aren't hard to find and dont annoy while playing.

MattMoses
05-29-2010, 08:48 PM
The majority of them were so easy to find and hard to miss so it didn't bother me. I found any I missed easily enough on my second playthrough.

Pearson
05-29-2010, 09:29 PM
I just found what I could during my first play through and then went back to each chapter to find those that I missed. Finding the collectibles kind of reminded me of finding the flags in Assassins Creed.

Kryptech
05-29-2010, 10:58 PM
Putting collectibles in a game with no reason for it sucks. period. Give us a reason to explore your game world. A coffee thermos in the middle of the woods over and over again gets old and serves no real reason except extend your gameplay a couple hours while you look for them. On the other hand I think collectibles can be done right. I was starting to really hate collectibles until I played Red Dead Redemption. Rockstar works them into the gameplay very well and make it fun and REWARDING to do so. The hunting, herb gathering, and treasure hunting are perfect. The only problems Ive seen are the glitches in the uniforms.

tripleb2k
05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I'm pretty tired of collectibles too. after playing Just Cause 2, this felt easy.
If there are going to be collectibles, make them meaningful instead of just random crap that do nothing for the character. the coffee could have given you a boost for your running or something.

Langeboy
05-29-2010, 11:28 PM
I definitely think it was a bit excessive, the manuscripts meant something in the game, so did pretty much everything, except the thermoses which are very annoying..
I'm pretty gutted because I'm stuck just needing 2 chests and 1 thermoses :(. I have no idea which one I missed and I really don't want to have to go through another play-through just to find them.

Xusder
05-30-2010, 01:21 AM
Thermoses, yeah, they really sucked. Twin Peaks reference is kinda nice though.

But the Manuscripts and Signs, at least those contribute to the story, like audio recording in Bioshock, which is why I like those more than stuff that has no use.

Major Bones
06-02-2010, 04:07 PM
collectibles ruined this game for me.

RSEagle
06-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Wow, what's the big deal? You are in no way forced to find certain amounts of the collectibles. Hell, you could go through the whole game without touching a single one. People complaining that the collectibles 'ruined the game' when they aren't even essential to the game itself is ridiculous.

And to people who complain that the collectibles suck because you need them to get certain achievements, give me a break. This game's achievements are cake compared to many other games out there. I got 600+ gamerscore on my first playthrough, and that was without going out of my way for any.

infernoterrorize
06-02-2010, 09:28 PM
These collectibles are driving me crazy! 1 Chest to go and only a few Coffee Thermos. Using the players guide ive ben going back to all the ones I dont remember getting, only to find that I DID GET IT!

kestrel
06-03-2010, 05:49 PM
I concur.
Anything more than say 100 collectibles in any game is just a pain.

Maximus 1482
06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
i just hate sitting there reading a guide. i cant not collect the collectibles. guess its my ocd.

STARINFLAMES21
06-04-2010, 12:01 AM
Collectibles werent that bad and if you followed Tyger7's guide and the picture guide at msxbox-world.com its not a problem.

nmg82
06-04-2010, 06:01 PM
Collectibles werent that bad and if you followed Tyger7's guide and the picture guide at msxbox-world.com its not a problem.

i concur...

WH Gercain
06-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Collectibles seem to be the only way developers are keeping people playing a 5 hour game any longer thant that.

Seany Show
06-04-2010, 07:06 PM
It's getting a bit tedious now but I will continue till I collect them all. Atleast the manuscripts have some part of the story.

VladimirK
06-05-2010, 12:46 AM
The Alan Wake ones are piss easy to find.
Most folk end up only missing less than 5 thermoses at the end and missing no journal pages.

Haha, do the flags in AC and then complain about these. :p

Logan I
06-05-2010, 10:36 AM
I didn't mind it too much, at least they give out different achievements for each collectable so it makes it worth it. All the collectible achievements added up together give you like 240 points and that isn't counting the ones like boob tube and medical opinions. Also if you check out the color coded collectibles guide thread you should have no problem getting all the collectibles in two playthroughs, one on normal and one on nightmare.

jeffy x360a
06-05-2010, 12:13 PM
I didn't mind it too much, at least they give out different achievements for each collectable so it makes it worth it. All the collectible achievements added up together give you like 240 points and that isn't counting the ones like boob tube and medical opinions. Also if you check out the color coded collectibles guide thread you should have no problem getting all the collectibles in two playthroughs, one on normal and one on nightmare.

what this poster said. it was a bit tedious especially cause i just did batman goty with 240 riddles so around 550 collectables over 2 games. at least they gave multiple achieves for each type instead of like 1 for 75 for the whole lot. that woulda sucked.

WipeoutBoy1
06-05-2010, 02:36 PM
I'm not a fan of collectibles

crewdy
06-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Usually, I'm not a fan of collectibles, unless they are used well and are limited. For this, I'd have to say the Manuscripts, Radios and Signs were fine because they added to the story and had meaning in the game, the rest of the collectibles were pointless and annoying though.

Haha, do the flags in AC and then complain about these.

Try out the 1300+ in The Saboteur as well. That seriously drove me mad!

VladimirK
06-05-2010, 11:56 PM
Try out the 1300+ in The Saboteur as well. That seriously drove me mad!

Haha, they don't count, you had map markers for all of them :p

It's a grind, but nothing like sitting with maps and lists marking off every flag as you got it.
(That's not even mentioning the glitchy flags and templars that wouldn't be there, but would appear once you had restarted your game).

AlexK1999
06-07-2010, 01:02 AM
I hated the Thermoses but everything else added to the story or fleshed out the world so they were good. Much better than Assassin's Creed with their flags or Crackdown with them orbs.

MEMANIAsama
06-07-2010, 01:50 PM
I liked Alan Wake's collectibles, while it could be overwhelming, they mostly all added something to the game, and the Thermoses were just a reference to Twin Peaks.

Ali_P_84
06-07-2010, 01:59 PM
I didn't find them too bad, and while there were a few thermoses and pages that were out of the way most could be found without even straying off the path.

Kryptech
06-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Another one thats tedious is the Blast Shards in Infamous. I got to the end of that game and needed 4 shards. I looked around the whole map for 5 hours twice for a total of 10. I didnt find them. I had to start a new game and got a map off the net. I then had to tick off each one when I got it. I was glad to get that trophy when it was over.

marty da stooge
07-24-2010, 09:53 AM
crackdown was a pain!!! i love the COD collectables. theres only about 40 in each game and they're fun to get!

BTroxell
08-10-2010, 06:23 AM
Ha, try 900 something collectibles like Crackdown, but like everyone else said, if it does something for you, its actually fun and rewarding, and Alan Wake does a very good job of that, minus the thermoses. I agree with another post, it would have been great if the coffee gave you a boost, or maybe tunnel vision, but then someone would be on here complaining how unrealistic it is that you could drink so much coffee or some other crap. Basically, when you game you have to be fickle and regardless we will find something to complain about, and in AW it definitely falls on the collectibles.

BigTymer2047
08-22-2010, 09:32 AM
I, for one, love games with collectables. Plays to my OCD that I have to have them all so it makes the game more detailed, in the fact that I have to search alot more than I normally would. So far, being only 2 chapters into Alan Wake, I think the collectables are pretty easy to spot. Not to be repeatitive but the flags in Assassins Creed were rediculous and makes these look like a cake walk. Finally to the point, no, 300+ collectables is not a problem at all!!!

vitzzz
08-28-2010, 01:42 AM
If there are going to be collectibles, make them meaningful instead of just random crap that do nothing for the character. the coffee could have given you a boost for your running or something.

I agree, or at least they could have given you a new weapon (melee?) for collecting them all. Collectibles have been in games for a while, and I understand why having achievements/trophies for finding everything would be a trend when the system was introduced. But I think we're pretty much over it now; it's getting old, repetitive and straight up annoying. Devs have got to be more creative and stop throwing in achievements for collecting 100+ thingies. Like it's been said, I don't mind ones like the audio diaries in Bioshock or even Alan's manuscript pages, because they actually do something for the story.

You could argue that this type of thing extends the replay value, but frankly it's not very fun having to go through a game again while looking at a guide every 5 seconds just to stop in certain spots and pick stuff up. It's not the same as, say running through it on a higher difficulty level. I hope that collectibles in games become lesser in number and more meaningful story-wise in the future.

Midnight Malice
08-28-2010, 03:53 PM
Collictables for the sake of collecting is pointless. The thermoses are dumb, they are there just to extend gameplay. The manuscripts are ok, they are a big part of the story, and actually add to it. If dont right collectables can be fun, and rewarding to the character, but just to "throw" something else in for the player to do with no purpose other than doing it is a cop out. Darksiders is an example of collectables done well. EVERYTHING you collect makes your character stronger. Fallout 3 bobbleheads is another one, sure there are only 20 but they reward you for finding them. Developers should focus on more gameplay rather than looking for spots to place "do nothing" collectables.

This game is one of the worst for them, an engaging, heavily story drivin game, where i have to pause it every 5 seconds to check my guide to make sure I dont miss something kinda pulls me out of the world, and makes all that suspense for nothing. Sure I could run through it the first time avoiding them, but if I happen to get one on accident, my next playthrough would probably end up with me having missed one I think I already got, and thats the worst thing possible when doing a clean up runthrough on a game. And since wiping the gamesave doesnt actually wipe your collectable progress, that kind of destroys that option too.

Squalasura
08-30-2010, 03:11 PM
I'm with you on that. It really kills the tension/atmosphere when I have to have a laptop open and strategy guide on my lap, constantly checking both to make sure I dont miss anything. I know that I dont HAVE to do either but my gamer OCD doesnt let me pass them by. While I'd love to say I'll definitely 1000GS this game and I can just get all of the collectibles on another playthrough, I've got about 30 other games where that second run just never happened.

asdfen
08-31-2010, 11:11 AM
do not enjoy collectibles so didn't enjoy these either
Also what all the hype around this game about?

It is way over rated in my opinion. I rate it mediocre at best. The only saving grace is good voice acting and decent story. Gameplay is shit aka let me shine my flashlight on everything for a while. Whooopy.

o0ArA0o
08-31-2010, 04:29 PM
I think there are many games with collectibles that are way more useless and annoying to collect than the ones in this game. But yeah, on the other hand this collect shit in games that became public since GTA Liberty City I think is sometimes a big pain that ruins the whole game because you always have your guide handy and ... yes, ruin every surprise in the game because the guide offers it.
But in Alan Wake it was ok for me the most time, cause the story drives on in the cutscenes between the time where you have control of your char and there is very little story while you actually fight through the levels (some calls via cellphone if I remember right).

sledge
09-04-2010, 07:48 PM
Considering you had to collect over 3000 collectible in Spiderman:Web of Shadows, no this is a cakewalk. The manuscript makes sense, but the coffee mugs make no sense, do they actually benefit you at all?

Helium
09-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Considering you had to collect over 3000 collectible in Spiderman:Web of Shadows, no this is a cakewalk. The manuscript makes sense, but the coffee mugs make no sense, do they actually benefit you at all?
Quessing the coffee is for keeping Alan wake :woop:
Sings litel culture from there
Tv shows for kust litel series from them
Radios giving litel background outside Wake
Chest just to help you fight against Takens
Alarm clocks keeps you wake
Carboards just tells what did happen after main story I quess

raidenhardcore
09-13-2010, 08:49 PM
Im really starting to get annoyed by the collecting cheevo's, every time i start a game i have to have a printed list on my lap which really takes the pace out of the game.
Without it the games will be many hours shorter, so its an easy way out for devs.

Of course its only optional but since they always come with many GS points they KNOW eveybody will try to get them.

Im gonna start AW tomorrow and already Im annoyed by the huge list of things I have to search my ass off.

Especially the coffee mugs list remind me of the pigeons of GTA and is totally pointless and will only annoy me along the way since they are scattered in EVERY section of the game.:mad:

Maybe we should send the devs a message to cut the crap with the collecting cheevo's, it seems getting out of control.

Jellybean468
09-13-2010, 09:26 PM
I thought it was actually fun getting them all, just the nightmare pages to go now :)

raidenhardcore
09-14-2010, 11:11 AM
I am playing right now and so far the game is really fantastic and the collectables are so far real easy to pick up (using guide from swearingatvideogames) and somewhat add to the game , still have to keep an eye on the guide every minute cuz there are so many which is hard since Im playing in the dark for the best atmosphere :eek:

Miss Allen86
09-14-2010, 08:20 PM
It could have been worse. It could have been 500 collectibles in a 6 episode game. @__@ The collectibles weren't that hard to find either, try playing Bionic Commando and fins all the collectibles....that sucks.

Clockwerk0range
09-15-2010, 12:39 AM
I don't think Alan Wake's collectibles are all that bad. They didn't go out of their way to hide them or anything.

Now games like Just Cause 2 and The Saboteur, ugggh.

amacteur
09-15-2010, 12:25 PM
Even if there's a lot of collectibles in Alan Wake, I think they were pretty easy and fun to find compared to other games :)

pokerfjes
09-15-2010, 01:31 PM
I agree, they were pretty easy to find if you explore a little. Sure it could av been a little less, but i still enjoyd it.

Nanatsusaya
09-22-2010, 03:03 PM
Complaining about collectibles is okay if that's your opinion but what's up with some people? I'm talking about those who complain about how they have to use a guide and it takes away the atmosphere and spoilers the game etc.

Guess what: PLAY THE DAMN GAME YOUR FIRST TIME WITHOUT A GUIDE AND SIMPLY ENJOY IT!!!

You can always go back and get the collectibles ...

Ruining your experience because you want some achievements?

Some people really have to get their shit together and set their priorities right.