PDA

View Full Version : What would be a realistic goal for the trials for a casual SF player?

Failed Mission
05-29-2010, 07:17 PM
I'm currently aiming for all the blockhead pictures from the trials, which I believe would give me 66.6% completion. However due to the ease of some of the characters I'm aiming for 75%. I care not for pixels or frame windows etc. If I can't do a trial within 10 minutes I'll move on to the next one and come back to it another day. So I feel that 16 trials per character is realistic for me. But I'm intruiged... has anyone else set a goal in the trials that they'd feel happy with that isn't 100%

(I'm gonna aim for 100% eventually cos I think these trials are FAR easier than the ones from SFIV.)

UK Dennis
05-29-2010, 07:40 PM
10 trials per character minimum for me. I just cant be arsed to do any for the characters i dont use

Dennoman
05-30-2010, 11:52 AM
100%, no less. If you're not planning on completing them, there's no point in doing them. And if you were planning on going for 100% anyway, there's no point in making a thread about it.

Then why am I replying? I don't know, maybe I need to go and lie down. That's what these threads do to my mental health.

Deadly Moves
05-30-2010, 12:21 PM
For me... 60%+ i just dont have the patience to keep on trying and trying

UCB Disco
05-30-2010, 01:49 PM
To answer the actual topic question, I'd say about 50%.

If you're talking about a Casual player, then 50% is a very realistic, yet still a little challenging goal. Since you've already bypassed that (Or so it seems), you don't appear to be a casual player then, huh?

I honestly think I'm casual. I'm at about 48% now, and I know I can do a little more with a couple characters that I did poorly on. I like the Trials for the sole reason of learning new combos and techniques with the characters, especially ones I'm not too familiar with. You don't have to go for achievements, especially the 100% one, to make good use of the Trials.

UltraMagnus1780
05-30-2010, 02:45 PM
100%, no less. If you're not planning on completing them, there's no point in doing them. And if you were planning on going for 100% anyway, there's no point in making a thread about it.

Then why am I replying? I don't know, maybe I need to go and lie down. That's what these threads do to my mental health.

I feel ya Denno. Same with MKvsDC. I hate the damned game at this point because of the chombo challenges, but I ain't giving up on it. It is the only fighting game I don't have 100% on (not counting SSFIV which now that I have all the trials done shouldn't take too long to do). Something about that games engine or something I just can't seem to get a handle on the challenges.

Didi Mau
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
I guess that really depends on what you would call casual; personally I consider a casual player should still know how to do every special move in the game, even if they can't do them consistently (so I would assume they should know how to cancel charge-motion special moves into charge-motion super combos, which was something I had to look up when I first started). A person who cannot buffer attacks is less casual than a "casual" player in my opinion, just because it isn't hard to research how to do it and any casual player would have that time available.

So under my definition of casual, I think that type of player should aim for (and can succeed) 70%-85% trial completion. Relating them back to old SF4's trials, there's still only 5-7 trials for the majority of the characters that would fit in old SF4's "hard" trial mode meaning the rest would go in old SF4's "normal" trial mode, and I think with the exception of one of Fuerte's trial 4 combos (which has been moved up in order considerably in this game), any casual player could do all the normal ones with a bit of time spent.

In summary, 17-19 trials per character should be more than doable for the casual player.

Failed Mission
05-30-2010, 08:35 PM

I know what you mean, but just cos I'm gonna go for 100% doesn't mean I'm gonna get 100%. So for me anything above 75% is good enough. I think everyone should AIM for 100%, but the question I put was what percentage would you be happy getting that isn't 100%.

I also reckon some of the motions/techniques in the trials are "transferrable", by that I mean that j.hk, c.mp, flash also works with Vega (albeit with a Barcelona instead of a flash.) also Ken's SRK-FADC-SRK-FADC-SRK would work with Ryu etc. So they're worth doing even if you don't like the character.

iBeatStuffUp
05-30-2010, 08:36 PM
I was somehow able to finish all the normal challenges in SFIV, and even that took me forever. So for this one, without any sort of mid-way checkpoint for me, I'll just do them from time to time. Will I ever complete them all? Probably not...

Deadly Moves
05-31-2010, 12:47 PM
This isnt a 'what % of the challenges have i done thread'
its a what % do you think is ok for a 'casual player'? dont some of you actually pay attention?

neubourn
06-02-2010, 12:17 PM
Yeah 50% for casual player sounds about right, you can easily pull off 12 of the 24 without much effort. Beyond that, 18/24 would be the next benchmark, followed by all 24

Reox8888
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Just have to say something here. While the trials are easy. They are not easier than vanilla's. There are a few cases like Chun's s.LP to s.HP being harder because s.HP has more startup now, but for the most part the game did not change; you got better.

The real deal here is that the trials are harder now (More trials per character and more characters), but because you've done them in the past (Or tried to do them) you've built muscle-memory or learned more about the game mechanics which makes everything seem easier.

(Everyone who thinks Capcom made this game easier read this part)

:woop:YOU DON'T SUCK!!!:woop: If you can't do a combo or you lose a lot, take a break and think, you can do it with practice and effort.