PDA

View Full Version : 400 people online... seriously?

TheLegendOf1977
05-30-2010, 09:20 PM
OK its only for skirmish, the total amount is around 2000 but still, nobody bought this? I know there are a lot of great games coming out but this is rediculous! I can hardly find any games online and this is one of the few racing games i actually really like online..

Flik Nightshade
05-30-2010, 09:22 PM
The game is an unbalanced version of Mario kart that gives ridiculous advantages to people who played before the games street date. I'm not surprised at all that very few people are playing online.

Lady Vampiress
05-31-2010, 03:40 AM
Most friends of mine didn't even know of the games existence. A majority of my list asked "What is Blur?" To be honest however, I find the game to be released at such an awkward time.

There's too many other games that have been released around the same time. Games such as Split/Second, Red Dead Redemption, Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, and UFC Undisputed 2010 to name some. I see Red Dead Redemption getting the most attention out of them all.

absinthe
05-31-2010, 04:51 AM
The game is an unbalanced version of Mario kart that gives ridiculous advantages to people who played before the games street date. I'm not surprised at all that very few people are playing online.

Its not that hard to catch on the what is going on. A racing game is a racing game. The only advantage I see is knowing what each power up does. A lot of the tracks were changed. Also, the couple of the same tracks from the beta that are on the full game have been changed with new stuff on the track and the power ups have been changed around. Most people probably can't handle being slapped constantly and go pout about it. Game almost takes a legit strategy as well.

When the beta of Blur came out, I seen it with 10k + players online. I've also expected more people to be online as well. This is easily one of the best online racing games I've played in sometime.

And if your so upset with the game and its power up system, theres a hardcore mode for you that has no power ups.

APX
05-31-2010, 06:18 AM
If your looking for someone to play with, send me a FR, i'll play skirmish, for some odd reason, I CANNOT for the life of me be able to play a 15+ match online. :(

Luna Saisho
05-31-2010, 08:42 AM

How do you mean that? Based on experience with them from playing in the beta? If so, that would be applicable to pretty much any beta or event where people can play something before release.

As I've played Mario Kart, Sega All Stars Racing, ModNation Racers and this, I can say that they all have the problem of being sucked from 1st place in the most inopportune ways. They all have almost identical weapons and race structure too, now that I think of it. If you can deal with that, you can have a lot of fun with these games, so long as winning isn't your only reason to play.

Barad
05-31-2010, 10:24 AM
I dunno why no one brought this..its a great, fun racer. Way to underated.

Schnitter
05-31-2010, 12:05 PM
I love this game, but letīs face it, Racing Games are dead! :(
Slit Second and Blur both donīt sell

davesuk
05-31-2010, 04:15 PM
I was surprised to see so few people on line, maybe the game just did not sell. hope people will start picking it up when they hear how good it is. as for the unfair bit, don't see it my self this game is not about winning its about damage. You can streak out into a lead and stay there for the whole race and get about 600-700 fans, stay mixed up with the pack and come in say 10th you can rack up 2000 fans, which is a hell of a lot more fun....

Xscapist
05-31-2010, 05:35 PM
The main problem was the game's marketing strategy, i.e. deciding not to put the marketing machine into full gear until the day the game arrived in stores.

With commercials, that probably makes sense...you don't want someone to see a commercial, go into a store to check it out, and it's not out yet. But where I think it killed the game was that they waited until the day of the game's release to lift the review embargo. Apparently its not uncommon for game companies to put a temporary review embargo on the game, I guess so that there's a week where all the reviews go up at roughly the same time, rather than leaking in over time before the game's release. But what isn't common is to wait until the actual release day, which is usually only done when a company is expecting poor reviews.

The result was that a friend of mine who buys games on release day/week far more often than I do (I usually wait for games to drop in price, Blur was a very rare exception because I enjoy the demo so much) was telling me he wasn't sure whether he wanted to buy the game on release day or not, because there had been no reviews, and he was worried they'd screwed up the full version of the game then and were expecting terrible reviews. And I'm betting he wasn't the only one. Yet Blur ended up recieving generally favorable reviews, so I can only assume the decision to wait on lifting the review embargo was down to the company's own stupidity.

To further hurt matters, it was released too close to Red Dead Redemption, which is what it looks like most of my friends have been playing. Maybe if it had come out the week before Red Dead Redemption, more people would've bought Blur, then put Blur on hold for awhile while they played RDR, then went back to Blur, I dunno. But instead it came out after, and I'm sure all those people who played the demo and were sold on the game either completely forgot about it when RDR came out, or maybe are waiting for a price drop.

And then there's the actual marketing campaign, which personally I think is extremely dumb. The ones making fun of Mario Kart are cute and amusing, but they don't show very much of the actual game or give much of a sense of what its like IMO. Not to mention their tagline of "play like a big boy" or whatever sounds like the primary demographic they're trying to target is insecure high school males. I'm a post-college girl who bought Blur because I love Mario Kart, and love Burnout, and this is like a combination of the two...but if it hadn't been for the multiplayer beta demo, I would've thought the game looked dumb and wouldn't have even given it a second thought. "Looks like a testosterone-filled version of Wipeout, that decided to borrow the UK band's name and logo. I'll pass."

Luna Saisho
05-31-2010, 05:56 PM
I've been seeing commercials on TV for Blur for nearly 2 weeks before release.

Not that I can play even play online because CHARTER CABLE INTERNET IS CRAP.

Xscapist
05-31-2010, 06:09 PM
I've been seeing commercials on TV for Blur for nearly 2 weeks before release.

Not that I can play even play online because CHARTER CABLE INTERNET IS CRAP.

Ah, okay...I rarely watch TV anymore, so I was just going off of what I'd heard. Which is that when I tell people about Blur, they've never heard of it, then later they tell me they just saw a commercial for it. So I just assumed they hadn't started running them until the week of, but I suppose it could be more that the game's title is just that unmemorable or something.

TheLegendOf1977
05-31-2010, 09:17 PM
Wow, today there were even less people playing. But i finally got in a lobby today and there were enough people joining. At least everything runs smooth online, havent had any lag or connection issues. I talked to some people on my friends list and it seems the argument somebody made about it being released to close to RDR seems true.. Luckely June seems a bit dry when it comes to games and some are getting Blur next month, hope more people do coss this is truly an awesome game!

Bushybob
06-01-2010, 12:03 AM
I'm seeing reports of the number of players it states is actually the number of open lobbies. so if it says 1000 players, that means 1000 lobbies and more than likely somewhere in the region of 10000 players online.

Does make some sense, though haven't seen this confirmed, i got this from someone on xbox.com forums.

Luna Saisho
06-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Ah, okay...I rarely watch TV anymore, so I was just going off of what I'd heard. Which is that when I tell people about Blur, they've never heard of it, then later they tell me they just saw a commercial for it. So I just assumed they hadn't started running them until the week of, but I suppose it could be more that the game's title is just that unmemorable or something.

It's a funny commercial, too! ^_^

I'm surprised so many people don't know about the game. I've hardly been able to play, thanks to Charter Communications not knowing how to actually provide Internet access, and the fight to get them to do something about it.... But I've had a lot of fun with Blur so far.

Xscapist
06-01-2010, 05:46 AM
I've hardly been able to play, thanks to Charter Communications not knowing how to actually provide Internet access, and the fight to get them to do something about it....

At the risk of derailing the thread: is the problem you're having that your internet seems to randomly disconnect, and you have to restart your modem and/or router in order to get it working again each time? And are you by chance using a wireless router?

Barad
06-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I never saw any Blur tv adverts like ever, obviously their advertising wasn't top.

NawtyCawty
06-01-2010, 12:31 PM
I love this game, but letīs face it, Racing Games are dead! :(
Slit Second and Blur both donīt sell

You are talking complete bollocks, sibce both games are in the Top 10 games charts.

Anyway, i am surprised more people arent playing it online, its the best multiplayer game ive played for a long time and there is no real advantage if you have played it since day one or not. Its just like Mario Kart, only 50 times better and with proper graphics, not cartoony crap for ten year olds.

NeonInVermont
06-01-2010, 02:16 PM
I'm seeing reports of the number of players it states is actually the number of open lobbies. so if it says 1000 players, that means 1000 lobbies and more than likely somewhere in the region of 10000 players online.

Does make some sense, though haven't seen this confirmed, i got this from someone on xbox.com forums.

I dont know if that is true or not, but I would say I doubt it. I played for around 4hrs last night. Me and my girlfriend were trying to get into the same game so I would join, and if there was room, I would invite her. I would enter a room, it would be full, exit, join another room and it was the same room I was just in. That happened like 4x in a row, and the other people in the room were in a race.
Then a couple hours later we had to do it again and it put me in with people I played with 2hrs before.

Bushybob
06-01-2010, 07:40 PM
Ye i kinda thought it maybe, all stuff i read on those forums i take with a pinch of salt.

Luna Saisho
06-02-2010, 08:33 AM
At the risk of derailing the thread: is the problem you're having that your internet seems to randomly disconnect, and you have to restart your modem and/or router in order to get it working again each time? And are you by chance using a wireless router?

It disconnects randomly, and the cable modem will reset itself... Usually within a few min.... But please don't tell me that you think a wireless router could be the cause. The router can't make the cable modem disconnect and reboot itself like that.

It's a three year problem that we may have gotten fixed today, finally. I was able to stay online tonight for hours playing Blur multiplayer. Fun game. ^_^

Jazzington
06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
When I was playing the beta, I could never get into a decently filled match, despite it had 10,000+ people on. Now that there's less than 1000, I ALWAYS find matches with 15+ players, and, it's not once had to research for any matches. The matches I've joined have also never lagged.

Despite the lack of players, I'm glad the servers are good, and it tries to get you into a game as fast as it can.

supadryz
06-02-2010, 09:57 AM
I love this game, it's Mario Kart meets PGR.

I'm working through the online 1st really as I do have a feeling that the online will drop in numbers over the next few months & may be hard to find games & stopping me from getting them nice little Achievements

Anyone feel free to hook us up as a rival.

Hustlinonradio
06-03-2010, 07:29 AM
even with the 2000 people online i noticed that team demolition had 0 people in it. Yes 0

MakoBallistic
06-05-2010, 03:56 AM
It may also have been due to a delivery issue, as i went into my local GAME yesterday to get it, and there were'nt any copies left! The guy behind the counter said they got hardly any in on their first delivery. I did manage to get a copy from GameStation however, unfortunatley it was Ģ5 more expensive and no points on my card, but oh well.

And @Hustlinonradio - It seems most people only want to play races for some reason, I can never get into an Elimination or Survival game on Split/Second either, im always in a lobby by myself. People need to broaden their horizons!

Barad
06-05-2010, 11:06 AM
The game was at 3000 people last night, I was so surprised!

Xxtrue2dagamexX
06-05-2010, 11:19 AM
theres over 41,000 ppl with the game so i dont know

Barad
06-05-2010, 11:55 AM
theres over 41,000 ppl with the game so i dont know

41,000?! bloddy hell I did not know that, they all need to get Live! lol

Xxtrue2dagamexX
06-05-2010, 12:06 PM
u see it on the leaderboards 41,000+

Fredy29
06-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Most friends of mine didn't even know of the games existence. A majority of my list asked "What is Blur?" To be honest however, I find the game to be released at such an awkward time.

There's too many other games that have been released around the same time. Games such as Split/Second, Red Dead Redemption, Lost Planet 2, Alan Wake, Prince of Persia, and UFC Undisputed 2010 to name some. I see Red Dead Redemption getting the most attention out of them all.

Alot of people played the Beta, so I'd be surprised if they didnt know that. Yeah, I expected alot of people to buy this game to be honest with the promised of the Beta, but never the less, there is more than enough people to play with online, it might just be where your from. Peoples seem to think its not enough, just because it tells you how many people are online and bet there are other games or actually are (racing games inparticular) with few or less numbers online than this, even on release, so at the end of the day, you cant complain.

I can see why some people did not buy this game in the end though, because it can be very annoying lol, but it is just supposed to be fun!!

-WcG iFredy29

Crazy BigGaz
06-05-2010, 03:07 PM
I got both Split/Second and Blur. Haven't really played Blur much as I wanted to get Split/Second finished what I did Friday.

I saw adverts for Split/Second on the TV (UK), but never sure a Blur advert. Blur adverts was in the Xbox 360 magazine (OXM) I subscribe to.

Epic Awesomeness
06-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Last i saw there was 2,000 people playing do you have your options to all regions?
i love this game put know body even knows about it

Barad
06-05-2010, 08:35 PM
u see it on the leaderboards 41,000+

Ohrite cool, that is strange then I eman where the hell are they all!?