PDA

View Full Version : Scott Pilgrim vs. The World

Starstrukk X360A
05-31-2010, 09:47 PM
YouTube- New "Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World" Trailer (Love It/Hate It)

Here's the trailer for the upcoming film Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.

What do you think? Do you want to see it or will you pass on this one?

Honestly, it seems really good. Plus Edgar Wright is directing this, so that's another plus in my book.

It's based on the comic book as well, which seems to be the norm for films these days.

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World is released on August 13, 2010.

Marcus issavage
06-01-2010, 02:06 AM
I am a huge Edgar Wright fan, but this movie does nothing for me. It just seems really corny, and I actually like Micheal Cera. One of my friends wants to see this really bad so I'll end up seeing it anyways.

Burning Karma
06-01-2010, 02:38 AM
From the dude who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz? I'm in. It looks kinda cheesy, but enjoyable nonetheless.

Andy Shandy
06-01-2010, 04:16 AM
Looks like it'll be a good laugh to see at the cinema during the summer...although Michael Cera still annoys me somehow despite being in films that I like (Zombieland etc)

animeaddict42
06-01-2010, 05:03 AM
From the dude who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz? I'm in. It looks kinda cheesy, but enjoyable nonetheless.
I think the point of this movie IS to be cheesy, though in a good way, especially considering the source material (a geek finds girl love story with fighting based in a video game-like alternate reality). And yes, if Edgar Wright is directing, it is a must-see.
...although Michael Cera still annoys me somehow despite being in films that I like (Zombieland etc)
That was actually Jesse Eisenburg who was in Zombieland.

Tussell
06-01-2010, 05:14 AM
Need I say more?

I really want to see it, and was surprised to see the mixed reactions from my friends. I figured they'd be in for sure. I think I might be able to convince some people though and end up seeing it. Probably not a midnight for me though.

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 05:20 AM
Agreed, to previous posts... this might be surprisingly good considering Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.
This looks kind of funny too... im not going to lie.
Also, can somebody help me here? What's the movie Michael Cera was in where he played the awkward teenager?

Starstrukk X360A
06-01-2010, 05:32 AM
Agreed, to previous posts... this might be surprisingly good considering Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead.
This looks kind of funny too... im not going to lie.
Also, can somebody help me here? What's the movie Michael Cera was in where he played the awkward teenager?

Pshh, what are you talking about? He never had a role like that (:

DiamondD
06-01-2010, 05:56 AM
Just saw the trailer for this when I went to see Prince of Persia. I don't know, but I'm just tired of seeing Michael Cera play the same type of character over and over (the shy/introverted yet always a realist type of dude). Doesn't the idea of being an actor consist of playing different roles? It's probably no fault of his own since screenwriters specifically make movie roles that tailor to his character, but still... Regardless, it definitely looks interesting. Not sure if it's worth seeing in the movies though.

Tussell
06-01-2010, 05:57 AM
Just saw the trailer for this when I went to see Prince of Persia. I don't know, but I'm just tired of seeing Michael Cera play the same type of character over and over (the shy/introverted yet always a realist type of dude). Doesn't the idea of being an actor consist of playing different roles? It's probably no fault of his own since screenwriters specifically make movie roles that tailor to his character, but still... Regardless, it definitely looks interesting. Not sure if it's worth seeing in the movies though.
Yeah, people quite often blame strictly the actor, though you shouldn't.

Andy Shandy
06-01-2010, 06:00 AM
I think the point of this movie IS to be cheesy, though in a good way, especially considering the source material (a geek finds girl love story with fighting based in a video game-like alternate reality). And yes, if Edgar Wright is directing, it is a must-see.

That was actually Jesse Eisenburg who was in Zombieland.

Whoops, my bad...Don't know why I thought it was him...That doesn't stop Michael Cera from being annoying though :p

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
Well, i like the roles he play.... to bad for him though that in the end, the only thing people will remember him for is playing the awkward teenager in movies.

rvlution
06-01-2010, 04:48 PM
Why is everyone saying it looks cheesy? It's based on an effin comic book.

Marcus issavage
06-01-2010, 05:06 PM
Even if it is based on the comic book, the trailer makes it look really cheesy. But that isn't always a bad thing.

SynysterChris
06-01-2010, 07:27 PM
This surprisingly looks F'ing awesome! I don't m uch care for Micheal Cera at all, but I found his character to be rather enjoyable in Arrested Development. So I'm going to give this a shot. Plus Shawn of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are 2 of my favorite movies, so regardless its a must see.

And just to talk about the trailer a bit the film style and art direction looks pretty cool so I'm actually kinda excited to see this movie now. I also think I might read the comic or novel to hold out on the wait.

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
Yea true... also i think that they're setting up th film to be in Imax 3D..... let's hope that nobody goes into any epileptic seizures when watching the film... looks crazy.... well the fight scenes at least.

elephantd
06-02-2010, 01:13 AM
meh, tired of comic book movies atm.

SynysterChris
06-02-2010, 07:30 AM
I really liking all the Fighting Video Game references. Especially the ending of the trailer with the counter hit KO.

KFZ Scrubs
06-02-2010, 03:10 PM
meh, tired of comic book movies atm.
Lol, better get used to it because there's going to be a shitstorm of them in the years to come... sigh.. Hollywood is losing it's creativity... now they're just rebooting franchises and making movies off of games, comics or whatever they can.

Starstrukk X360A
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Lol, better get used to it because there's going to be a shitstorm of them in the years to come... sigh.. Hollywood is losing it's creativity... now they're just rebooting franchises and making movies off of games, comics or whatever they can.

As long as they're good, I'm not complaining. :D

KFZ Scrubs
06-02-2010, 05:13 PM
As long as they're good, I'm not complaining. :D
Agreed, actually, they're not that bad.... well the some of them. Hulk was shit, the last spiderman was shit and personally, i thought Xmen 3 was pretty bad. I mean, they had that one guy in there, angel i think, and he barely did or said anything. In the trailers it made it seem like he'd have a bigger part... well to me at least. The new ones they're making though are pretty beast, loved Ironman and the new Hulk was alright. Of course there are some movies that are just god awful like the live action Dragonball and Tekken movie.... seriously..... the people they're playing are supposed to be like buff or massive yet they choose to cast skinny chicken shit people in their place..... why?

SynysterChris
06-08-2010, 02:18 AM
Agreed, actually, they're not that bad.... well the some of them. Hulk was shit, the last spiderman was shit and personally, i thought Xmen 3 was pretty bad. I mean, they had that one guy in there, angel i think, and he barely did or said anything. In the trailers it made it seem like he'd have a bigger part... well to me at least. The new ones they're making though are pretty beast, loved Ironman and the new Hulk was alright. Of course there are some movies that are just god awful like the live action Dragonball and Tekken movie.... seriously..... the people they're playing are supposed to be like buff or massive yet they choose to cast skinny chicken shit people in their place..... why?

Becuase they hated Dragon Ball for some unknown reason. So they though hey what could I do to ruin it? I know make a live action movie and cast whiney ass justin chatwin as Goku that will piss off all you who like dragon ball. Seriously the end of that movie should have said F U Toriyama.

PointPlaceWI
06-08-2010, 10:37 AM
Becuase they hated Dragon Ball for some unknown reason. So they though hey what could I do to ruin it? I know make a live action movie and cast whiney ass justin chatwin as Goku that will piss off all you who like dragon ball. Seriously the end of that movie should have said F U Toriyama.

I think the whole Dragon Ball franchise has been saying F U Toriyama ever since they didn't allow him to finish the arc off at his discretion. MONEY MONEY MONEY.

I gotta say, I've never liked a single role that Cena has played. One of my least favorite popular current actors.

RockstarSuicide
06-08-2010, 07:55 PM
Whoops, my bad...Don't know why I thought it was him...That doesn't stop Michael Cera from being annoying though :p

Beacuse Jesse Eisenberg is essentially the Jewish version of Michael Cera lol. Each one of their roles so far could have been interchangeable

Blah 2k
06-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Will definetley be seeing this, I pretty much like all the movies that Michael Cera is in.

DanTheManGum
06-15-2010, 10:55 PM
Personally split on this movie. The trailer makes me want to see it and pass on it all at once. I probably will end up seeing it as me and my wife usually see a movie or two a week though.

Purge
06-15-2010, 11:57 PM
Oh Michael Cera.. What film is he in where he's the socially awkward teenager that gets the girl? Oh wait! :p

I love Michael Cera and I love gaming, so this should be a great film for me. :p

Always Ready
06-16-2010, 12:34 AM
I honestly don't want to see it because it just looks like a meh movie to me, it might be good but ill see it when it comes out probably

HarperBird
06-16-2010, 07:40 PM
Seen this trailer so many times and i think this film is going to be amazing if the trailer is anything to go by!

I love Edger Wright both Spaced and his films so hopefully this won't let me down!

MelangeAddict
06-19-2010, 12:24 AM
It looks like a fun film that isn't taking itself seriously. I just hope it works cause I want to see it.

rvlution
06-19-2010, 06:55 AM
Just watched Youth in Revolt and loved it so now I'm in a Cera mood. Kinda bummed it comes out in August.

VladimirK
06-20-2010, 03:46 AM
I had only heard the name before and ignored it, but it actually looks pretty good from the trailer.

Expyrious
06-20-2010, 05:02 PM
It will be a good movie, he'll be sure about that ;)

rvlution
06-20-2010, 07:19 PM
I'm really excited for this. I should probably read the comic first though.

B1GM13
06-24-2010, 09:06 AM
Saw a trailer for this in the cinema last night, and while i was sat having a nerdgasm explaining to my Girlfriend how psyched i am for this film some guy in the row in front was saying to his girlfriend "What a load of shit, it looks like some sorta cheap pisstake videogame comic book movie"

i'm sat there thinking... well done brains!!! thats the point!

Sambuca Queen
06-24-2010, 07:39 PM
From the dude who directed Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz?

Yarp, thats why this is going to be awesome! I love my comic book movies and this one had me in stitches and thats just the trailer! I wouldnt mind making my current fella go and kick my ex's arses! He was the one whom suggested we go see it as our first cinema movie together lolz XD

People like that make my teeth itch! Its like when someone sees Iron Man and go "How come Spidermans costumes changed?" Facepalm you douchebag.

Purge
06-24-2010, 09:46 PM
Saw a trailer for this in the cinema last night, and while i was sat having a nerdgasm explaining to my Girlfriend how psyched i am for this film some guy in the row in front was saying to his girlfriend "What a load of shit, it looks like some sorta cheap pisstake videogame comic book movie"

You did kill him right? :drunk

SynysterChris
06-27-2010, 06:51 AM
You did kill him right? :drunk

WIN!!! Just win on this comment.

/I also read the comic just to get into the mood for the movie and I must say I definitely see why they are adapting it to a movie. Though the whole story takes place over 5 or 6 books. So I'm sure they are going to leave a bit of stuff out. I'm also not a big fan of Cera but I think he maybe able to pull the character off. Especially if they don't make him that whiny kinda puss they normally have him do.

Anyway Im really looking forward for this movie.

DOOKH8R
06-27-2010, 06:55 AM
I am so sick of that no-talent hack, Michael Cera. His bland and pedestrian acting is exactly the same in every role.

So no, wont be seeing this

SynysterChris
06-27-2010, 07:23 AM
I am so sick of that no-talent hack, Michael Cera. His bland and pedestrian acting is exactly the same in every role.

So no, wont be seeing this

I actually found him to be quite amusing in Arrested Development. Have you seen it? He has that same role but its actually like able in the show.

R Rated Love
06-27-2010, 07:54 AM
I gotta say, I've never liked a single role that Cena has played. One of my least favorite popular current actors.

I agree in terms of movies. Arrested Development aside, Michael Cera is dead to me. I wasted $8 seeing the atrocity better known as Youth In Revolt, there's no way this kid is tricking me again.

Based off of a comic book or not, this movie just looks ridiculous.

DOOKH8R
06-27-2010, 08:07 AM
I actually found him to be quite amusing in Arrested Development. Have you seen it? He has that same role but its actually like able in the show.

Watched it when originally aired. Loved every part of Arrested Development, except for Cera.
He is the epitome of "tool"

Roske
06-29-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm hoping that it comes across as super cheesey. That's what the comics went for, and that is what the movie should do as well.

Sambuca Queen
07-06-2010, 07:45 PM
Read the first 2 books, just need my fella to get the others so I can read them XD
Great story and cant wait to see it!

ZackNovak
07-28-2010, 08:26 AM
Oh so excited for this :D

Bleed x360a
07-28-2010, 09:59 AM
He's not that funny of an actor anymore, Superbad is a modern classic though. Haha:rock

Sambuca Queen
07-28-2010, 07:51 PM
After reading more of the books, up to the final volume, I think I will end up loving the books more then the film. After getting to know the characters via the books, Im not really wow'ed over by the casting.

rvlution
07-29-2010, 12:05 AM
I would like to read the books but they're kinda expensive. Definitely gonna see the movie.

zindar
07-29-2010, 04:54 PM
Looks funny and Michael Cera is a very good actor in my opinion I love comedy movies

BAMF Sangwich
07-30-2010, 02:37 AM
Looks funny and Michael Cera is a very good actor in my opinion I love comedy movies

lol michael cera is terrible but i think scott pilgrim will be a good movie bc the director is effin' amazing

tehapoc
07-30-2010, 02:40 AM
lol michael cera is terrible but i think scott pilgrim will be a good movie bc the director is effin' amazing

Agreed. Edgar Wright will probably carry the movie on his back.

Danteire
08-01-2010, 07:33 PM
After reading more of the books, up to the final volume, I think I will end up loving the books more then the film. After getting to know the characters via the books, Im not really wow'ed over by the casting.

I am the same, I get the feeling the movie will skip a lot of the backstories of how the group came together and the stories from the past that affect the present and instead focus more on "LOLLLLLZ guy wants girl, has fight 7 exes, pew pew pew".

Also, the character of Scott Pilgrim isnt actually a shy nerdy akward teen, he is actually fairly self-confident in himself and his band (look at the expression when everyone says they dont like the band), he has no problem hooking up with the girls in the series and is just a lazy-ass slacker who is fairly thick. If any of the shy akward nerd is on show there its being dragged in either by Cera himself or outside perception of Cera as always playing that role.

Meh, will still watch it on day #1.........all 2 weeks after America

*rage*

RaidenX52
08-02-2010, 02:39 AM
I'm really tired of these kinds of films...I'd never be able to sit through that without half-standing up from my seat and shouting 'Oh for FUCKS sake...' and then sitting back down with my head on my hand at all the cliches, poor 'comedy' dialogue. It'll have it's audience but I sure as fuck won't be in it.

I've freed up some space in my PM's for the hate.

SynysterChris
08-04-2010, 08:08 AM
I feel like the ending will be somewhat different having finished the 6th book. And I also fell that they will leave out most of the Slip space stuff, expecially during the end. But Hey so far from what I've seen an I have been watching a lot of things the movie looks to stay pretty close to the source materal. And Cera as Scott, doesn't seem to be shy, nerdy yes because Scott is a nerd. But he seems to portray what I've seen of him acting as Scott, well like Scott. Lazy, Stubborn, an not quick on the uptake, and an all round slacker.
Though I think like some of you said they will maybe leave out some of Scott love life back story, as they may not be able to fit all the small things into the theatrical release.

But still the movie looks awesome.

HAK Devil
08-04-2010, 02:17 PM
I love the comics and will definitely be watching the movie. However, Michael Cera is so miscast that it isn't funny and I fear he will singlehandedly screw the entire film up

tweak4ever
08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
meh, Ill pass, Michael Cera is overrated

CodSteaks
08-05-2010, 08:35 PM
I love Spaced, Shaun of the Dead, and Hot Fuzz, but those are all co-created with Simon Pegg, so it'll be interesting to see how he directs a movie that's not his own creation. His talent as a director at least is proven. I'll probably wait until it's out on DVD as I don't usually have enough money to see many movies in the theater, and there are others I'd rather see right now.

I haven't read the comic, but I like the idea of "faithful" comic book movie adaptations, especially now that they're adapting more obscure comics, or at least ones that aren't mainstream. It seems like most comic fans have at least heard of the ones they make movies out of, though. Anyway, I look forward to seeing it, but I'm not super hyped, more like intrigued.

SynysterChris
08-12-2010, 06:18 PM
13 hours and counting till Midnight Release... Can you tell I'm excited?

GHLougar
08-12-2010, 06:22 PM
pretty hyped to see it. rounding out some friends for a saturday night out!

ApochWeiss
08-13-2010, 07:25 AM
I was hoping to see this day one actually, but I'm stuck in the damned hospital...AGAIN...so, yeah, I'll get to it when I get to it.

tehapoc
08-13-2010, 07:32 AM
Damn. Today's Friday? Will probably catch the matinee and avoid a big crowd. Lemme know how it is!

SynysterChris
08-13-2010, 09:47 AM
Just got back from the Midnight Release, and it was awesome. Diverts from the book a bit about mid way through, but nothing major, and still stays pretty true to the comic. Though its only so they could fit all 6 books into the movie.

The effects, sounds, and bits from the comic all made it feel like it popped off the page. They didn't pull any punches on the crazy comic fighting game references stuff either. And all the cast played their parts very well, and if anyone had any doubts about Cera, don't he did a wonderful job of portraying Scott in the film.

I highly recommend you see this movie.