PDA

View Full Version : Should I buy this game?

BIGbivvie
06-01-2010, 10:11 PM
I have Red Dead and I was wondering how it compares to it?

Is it worth buying?

Grimdog John
06-01-2010, 10:16 PM
If you like res evil and max payne then get it, its a combo of the 2. Defintely have to play it with the lights out though, playing during the day spoils the experience. Easy achievements also.

BIGbivvie
06-02-2010, 12:12 AM
Not really bothered about the achievements unless theyre exciting to achieve, I like working towards something like the 100% completion in RDR.

Donkey Lips
06-02-2010, 01:04 AM
This game is awful and is a perfect example of an over-hyped gamed getting good reviews. I would really like to know how this game gets a 92 and Lost Planet 2 gets a GD 65. Give me a fucking break!

Alan Wake is one of the worst 360 games I have ever played (Star Wars the Clone Wars is the other, only because the jumping was broken. If the jumping was fixed, this game would crush Alan Wake in terms of enjoyment). It has the most boring story line, which is made up of stolen tidbits of story line written by real life authors, and your main weapon is a freaking flash light so you can fight shadows. The in game dialogue is terrible, and the graphics are gen 1 at best. Top this off with a short campaign (you can play it twice if you want the achievements that come with it, but that would be the only reason you replayed this stinky dog turd) and you have a game that won't be worth the gas money you used to buy the game when you go trade it in at Gamestop in a week.

The only good thing that I can say about this game is that it works. I never experienced any glitches or broken controls. Also, the achievements are easy if you can survive the boredom.

This game is supposed to be a suspense/horror with a great story line. Alan Wake doesn't live up to either one of those expectations. For that genre, you should give Dead Space or Bioshock a try. Please save your money for a game that deserves to be played. I recommend a rent if you want to play what I would call one of the biggest gaming let downs of the year.

Battosai343
06-02-2010, 01:48 AM
You definitely won't put as many hours into Alan Wake as you might RRR. But, in my humble opinion, it's worth a purchase. I bought it and have no regrets.

Vault Lad
06-02-2010, 03:05 AM
This game is awful and is a perfect example of an over-hyped gamed getting good reviews. I would really like to know how this game gets a 92 and Lost Planet 2 gets a GD 65. Give me a fucking break!

Alan Wake is one of the worst 360 games I have ever played (Star Wars the Clone Wars is the other, only because the jumping was broken. If the jumping was fixed, this game would crush Alan Wake in terms of enjoyment). It has the most boring story line, which is made up of stolen tidbits of story line written by real life authors, and your main weapon is a freaking flash light so you can fight shadows. The in game dialogue is terrible, and the graphics are gen 1 at best. Top this off with a short campaign (you can play it twice if you want the achievements that come with it, but that would be the only reason you replayed this stinky dog turd) and you have a game that won't be worth the gas money you used to buy the game when you go trade it in at Gamestop in a week.

The only good thing that I can say about this game is that it works. I never experienced any glitches or broken controls. Also, the achievements are easy if you can survive the boredom.

This game is supposed to be a suspense/horror with a great story line. Alan Wake doesn't live up to either one of those expectations. For that genre, you should give Dead Space or Bioshock a try. Please save your money for a game that deserves to be played. I recommend a rent if you want to play what I would call one of the biggest gaming let downs of the year.

:confused: :confused: :confused:

STILLBORN
06-02-2010, 03:26 AM

If this game is so terrible, then why are you on this games forum... shouldn't you be trolling the Lost Planet 2 forum.

Back on topic, I think this game is worth a buy. The ending was a little confusing, but overall it was a pretty good game.

Donkey Lips
06-02-2010, 03:47 AM
Who is trolling? I am using the guide to get the Nightmare manuscripts so I can take this game back to Blockbuster.

"Back on topic" as my rude inquisitor, STILLBORN (if only) would say, there is no way that this game is a buy unless you have an extra $65 that you were about to wipe your ass with.

AlSuwaidix
06-02-2010, 07:49 AM
I bought the limited edition of Alan wake Just to read the story hehe.. it sounds crazy >.>
In my opinion the game is worth to buy it.~!

WogDogg
06-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I borrowed this game off my brother on Monday and finished it yesterday (Tuesday). I didn't really like the story or the game-play personally, but I'd have been gutted if I'd bought it new seeing as it only lasts 9-10 hours the very first time through.

Xshrimp94
06-02-2010, 02:42 PM
to be honest i havent got the game but it looks like alone in the dark to me and even that was a crap game

LeakyBung
06-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Alan Wake is a terrible game. If Blockbuster offered refunds, I would ask for one.

ZOMBINOX
06-02-2010, 06:13 PM
Who is trolling? I am using the guide to get the Nightmare manuscripts so I can take this game back to Blockbuster.

"Back on topic" as my rude inquisitor, STILLBORN (if only) would say, there is no way that this game is a buy unless you have an extra $65 that you were about to wipe your ass with.

But if this game is the worst game in the world and you think it's a giant 'turd' of a game, why would you still be playing it?

My time is more valubale than money, so apperantly you have time available to wipe your ass with...

On topic, I loved the game and have played through it three times. I've learned different things by listening to different people talk, etc. In my opinion it's worth buying if your a fan of the genre...

Donkey Lips
06-02-2010, 06:17 PM
^Yes, I always take the time to wipe my ass. Thanks for your concern. I recommend it to everyone out there.

As for still playing the game, of course I am going to finish grabbing this games easy achievements.

ZOMBINOX
06-02-2010, 06:22 PM
^Yes, I always take the time to wipe my ass. Thanks for your concern. I recommend it to everyone out there.

As for still playing the game, of course I am going to finish grabbing this games easy achievements.

Cool, glad to hear, but I'm still baffled how some one can spue so much hate for a game and still claim that they are playing it, even for achievements! Your stronger willed than I. I'm an achievement whore, but I put in Fuzion Frenzy 2 for five minutes and never wasted my time again!

Donkey Lips
06-02-2010, 06:27 PM
I never played FF2, so I can't compare. I've had Alan Wake for two weeks now when I am sure the full 1000 points would take 20 hours tops, so as you can see, I am definitely not rushing to play it.

Kryptech
06-02-2010, 06:30 PM
I would say rent fo sho. You can beat it in a day of solid play then run through and grab everything you missed on the second playthrough the next day. The only reason to buy this game is if you like the story and want to purchase the episodic DLC as it comes out.

Logan I
06-03-2010, 06:02 AM
Well Donkey Lips its too bad you didn't enjoy the game, I guess it isn't for everybody. I personally try not to listen to the hype that certain games generate and just play them and decide for myself. I played the game and loved it, I wasn't scared but it was creepy and a very unique gaming experience in my opinion. If you don't want to spend the cash for a full retail copy then rent it, gamefly it, or borrow it from a friend. One last option, if you are patient enough, wait until the used game price drops to a reasonable price and pick up the used copy. The main indicator I use for the success of the game is how long it takes for the price to drop. I saw Call of Duty Modern Warfare still selling for 59.99 new next to Call of Duty World at War selling for 49.99 new... this was like a year and a half or two years ago, but it just goes to show you good games hold their value. (Until they hit the Platinum Hits category and get really cheap)

Joshi 82 AT
06-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Personally, I just love the game.
The story is great and I liked the idea of using the flashlight to weaken the enemy first before you can shoot them. I don't want to detail to much as I don't want to spoil anything for people who haven't played it yet.
Just one more thing. Remedy said in various interviews that they looked at Stephen King and Alfred Hitchcock novels to get some inspiration for this game. So it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone (likes or dislikes) if you notice something familiar from novels/movies.

Led
06-03-2010, 04:28 PM
I have Red Dead and I was wondering how it compares to it?

Is it worth buying?

Yes. I loved this game. I normally don't play this genre.

WH Gercain
06-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I enjoyed my first play through and there will be DLC. But it's a short one. I think rental is the way to go unless you plan on the DLC.

Logan I
06-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I enjoyed my first play through and there will be DLC. But it's a short one. I think rental is the way to go unless you plan on the DLC.

The game is a bit on the short side but I think the great story line and vague ending give the game a decent replay value (I've played through three times now). However if you don't see yourself getting into the game that much, you don't plan on playing any of the DLC, or if you have a decent amount of free time on your hands then rental might be the way to go for you. Personally I bought and I have no regrets... I'm waiting for DLC!

RzrsS.
06-05-2010, 11:39 AM
I Realy liked this game and im not going to stop after my first playthrough now im going for nightmare mode. In my opinion it is worth spending your money on.

Ketua
06-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I say yes, it's worth buying, but not if you're an action junky. Comparing this game to battle front and lost planet is completely inept. This is not action, if that's all you want, steer clear.

Basically if you enjoy Stephen King novels you'll enjoy this game immensely. It's not scare/horror based the way dead space is, it's a much more subtle and psychological type of scare which requires a higher application of intellect and imagination than most twitchfest gamers are able to come up with.

Action junkies steer clear, if you liked say Heavy Rain this game will be great for you.

Logan I
06-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I say yes, it's worth buying, but not if you're an action junky. Comparing this game to battle front and lost planet is completely inept. This is not action, if that's all you want, steer clear.

Basically if you enjoy Stephen King novels you'll enjoy this game immensely. It's not scare/horror based the way dead space is, it's a much more subtle and psychological type of scare which requires a higher application of intellect and imagination than most twitchfest gamers are able to come up with.

Action junkies steer clear, if you liked say Heavy Rain this game will be great for you.

Exactly! This game does not market itself as an action title, it claims to be a psychological thriller, meaning its more about the story and the tension and a little of the unkown rather than leaning on action

Kahne
06-08-2010, 05:07 AM
For as long as this game was in development I thought it could of been better. Its not bad, but its not all that great IMHO. Its kinda like when I saw the Matrix Reloaded....I left the movie theater feeling like something was left out...like I was cheated out of something that could of been SOOO Much better.

Not mad that I bought it but wonder if I should of just rented it.

BDSlive
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
Yes you should! It's not in the top twenty as of this post, and I am scared for Remedy in the follow-up to this game.

skiscaraudio
06-12-2010, 06:03 AM
it is great but if your an chieve hoe, it ruins it
only the most devoted can find all