PDA

View Full Version : Black Spidey?

KFZ Scrubs
06-01-2010, 11:54 PM
Here's an article about how people are pushing for spiderman to be a black actor.
http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/movie-talk-twitter-campaign-wants-community-actor-to-be-first-non-white-spider-man.html
Now, what are your thoughts?
Here's what i think.... why?
Now, i'm not racist or anything, but this got me to thinking about Jaime Fox being Lynch in Kane and Lynch.... pretty sure they could have done better there.
Unless they're going to reboot the franchise though,(which doesn't sound like a bad idea to me after watching the third one) why replace Toby? I thought he made a great Peter Parker in the series, but that's me.
Thoughts?

Br0kenAssass1n
06-02-2010, 12:09 AM
I don't like the idea of a black Spiderman. Why? 'Cos it's never been done, or at least, to my knowledge. Perfect reason to do it in my mind. Anyway, as long as the actor chosen does a good enough job, it doesn't matter what they look like.

They are rebooting the series.

Who the fuck is Jake?

Louis BCFC1875
06-02-2010, 12:11 AM
Spiderman is suited to a white male, due to him being white in the cartoon.

Dark Gerg
06-02-2010, 12:14 AM
I bet this is disney's fault _

It's not racist at all saying he shouldn't be black, i mean it's like making superman black? The original characters are white and it works why change it..
but i guess if its a good actor it could be pulled off, its a bit iffy really

Iconoclast
06-02-2010, 02:51 AM
Peter Parker/Spiderman isn't black in the comic book, therefore he shouldn't be black in the movie. End of story.

I know these comicbook-to-movie adaptations like to stray from the general storylines, but jeez...let's at least stick to the basics, shall we?

Jemocasa
06-02-2010, 03:29 AM
As long as they don't name him Precious Price it doesn't matter to me.

Starstrukk X360A
06-02-2010, 03:39 AM
As long as they don't name him Precious Price it doesn't matter to me.

No, his new name will be Peter Shanaqueesha.

In all seriousness, please no. The comic book and the cartoon had him as Caucasian, and I'd rather not screw with that.

elephantd
06-02-2010, 04:17 AM
Wouldn't surpise me, I think I'm done with Spider-Man movies. Unless the trailer makes me cream my pants, I won't be seeing this reguardless of Spider-Mans race.

KFZ Scrubs
06-02-2010, 05:11 AM
Peter Parker/Spiderman isn't black in the comic book, therefore he shouldn't be black in the movie. End of story.

I know these comicbook-to-movie adaptations like to stray from the general storylines, but jeez...let's at least stick to the basics, shall we?

Sorry, but that's what i was thinking....... didn't say it outright like you though because i thought everyone would call me a ignorant racist for wanting spiderman to be white.
Here's what i think.... he should look like the comic. If they make an another spiderman arc where he's black, then cool, do a movie on that. For instance again.... Kane and Lynch... i have no problem with Jaime Fox, he's an okay actor, but Lynch? Please, as proven in previous threads there were other people who could be better.
I mean, have no problem with Nick Fury being black or the Green lantern because somewhere in the DC universe.... they are.

A ZombieTwinkie
06-02-2010, 05:59 AM
Next thing you know their going to fulfill Beyonce's wish and make her Wonder Woman.

klokwerk
06-02-2010, 06:07 AM
I don't care because I'm probably not going to see it.

SynysterChris
06-02-2010, 07:20 AM
What about an asain spider-man?

jtr1gg3r
06-02-2010, 08:00 AM
I have one word for this.....

No.

Xerofox
06-02-2010, 08:02 AM
I'm okay if Spider-man is a black actor, as long as Peter Parker is white. It'll be like the catwoman movie, you never notice you're actually looking at a guy.

Pyrochaos
06-02-2010, 03:19 PM

Thank you.

dakisbac
06-02-2010, 03:30 PM
I agree with Iconoclast. I'd have no problem with Spiderman being portrayed by a Black actor except that Peter Parker isn't Black. I've got that same problem with the Kane and Lynch movie... Lynch isn't Black in the game so he shouldn't be in the movie either.

I also agree that Tobey Maguire is an excellent Peter Parker, unfortunately him and Sam Raimi are no longer in the picture. It'll be funny as hell if the new movie bombs (like I expect it to) since it's only a reboot because Raimi was asking the studio for more time and they wouldn't give. Once it fails I bet they'll wish they'd given in.

Pyrochaos
06-02-2010, 03:46 PM
These people are hypocrites anyways.

They cry "whitewash" when a white actor plays as a persian, or an asian (see Prince of Persia or The last Air Bender). But they push for black actors to play traditionally white roles? (Peter Parker was never black in any of the different universes he was in. Black Superman at least has merit, because a version of him was black.)

Capn Doug
06-02-2010, 04:51 PM
If Peter Parker wasn't so based around being the nerdy little white kid in the early days, I wouldn't have much problem with it. If you want a movie like Black Spider-Man, make the Nick Fury movie or a Luke Cage movie removing the criminal element of his background. Really, any superhero that doesn't have the word "Black" as the first word of his name would work.

And Pyro, remember a few years back people wanted to make a statue of the photo of the firemen raising the flag after 9-11, but all of them were white. So someone had an idea to make one of the firemen black. Imagine being the guy cut out of the statue because they already had enough white guys in the shot.

KFZ Scrubs
06-02-2010, 05:21 PM
These people are hypocrites anyways.

They cry "whitewash" when a white actor plays as a persian, or an asian (see Prince of Persia or The last Air Bender). But they push for black actors to play traditionally white roles? (Peter Parker was never black in any of the different universes he was in. Black Superman at least has merit, because a version of him was black.)
Agreed, lot's of people are pissed off that the Prince of Persia is white and the Avatar kid is white too.

elephantd
06-02-2010, 07:42 PM
If Peter Parker wasn't so based around being the nerdy little white kid in the early days, I wouldn't have much problem with it. If you want a movie like Black Spider-Man, make the Nick Fury movie or a Luke Cage movie removing the criminal element of his background. Really, any superhero that doesn't have the word "Black" as the first word of his name would work.

And Pyro, remember a few years back people wanted to make a statue of the photo of the firemen raising the flag after 9-11, but all of them were white. So someone had an idea to make one of the firemen black. Imagine being the guy cut out of the statue because they already had enough white guys in the shot.

why would they remove the criminal element out of Luke Cage? That would instantly make me not want to watch that movie.

PointPlaceWI
06-03-2010, 12:30 AM

I hate people who push the race card for no apparent reason.I seriously think some people push it just for fame or because they can't think of any other response. I remember watching a news story on some folk who were complaining about how their votes were not going to be counted during the Obama election because they were a black community. I mean what the fuck. That news story made me want to stick a needle in my sack.

Gorilla Stomper
06-03-2010, 01:07 AM
Perfect example of Hollywood raping the comics for PC fanatic approval. Sigh.

KFZ Scrubs
06-08-2010, 06:20 AM
Perfect example of Hollywood raping the comics for PC fanatic approval. Sigh.
Can't really blame them, how many movies to date have been released for the fan? They're always catered to the public.... so that they can understand it too.

Iconoclast
06-08-2010, 12:48 PM
Can't really blame them, how many movies to date have been released for the fan? They're always catered to the public.... so that they can understand it too.

Unfortunately there's a big difference between releasing movies to help the fans "understand it too" and releasing movies that don't follow the true storyline of the comic at all *cough*XMEN*cough*...if these aforementioned "fans" need a movie for them to understand, why not at least make it follow the events that unfold according to the original writer(s)? Either way, it'll be all new to them...you might as well make it right.

PointPlaceWI
06-08-2010, 12:56 PM
Unfortunately there's a big difference between releasing movies to help the fans "understand it too" and releasing movies that don't follow the true storyline of the comic at all *cough*XMEN*cough*...if these aforementioned "fans" need a movie for them to understand, why not at least make it follow the events that unfold according to the original writer(s)? Either way, it'll be all new to them...you might as well make it right.

Most "based on a true story" movies are exactly the same way. They may represent and use the original purpose of the story, but they are jazzed up to meet blockbuster appeal. Just think about how much money is put toward a blockbuster movie (which the majority of comic book movies, if not all are blockbuster movies). When someone is spending that much money and time on something, they're going make sure it sells. How do they make sure it sells? Follow the age-old Hollywood blockbuster formula. Even your most mediocre action flick with a no name cast can make a couple of million off of ticket sales alone with the magic formula.

Iconoclast
06-08-2010, 02:33 PM
Most "based on a true story" movies are exactly the same way. They may represent and use the original purpose of the story, but they are jazzed up to meet blockbuster appeal. Just think about how much money is put toward a blockbuster movie (which the majority of comic book movies, if not all are blockbuster movies). When someone is spending that much money and time on something, they're going make sure it sells. How do they make sure it sells? Follow the age-old Hollywood blockbuster formula. Even your most mediocre action flick with a no name cast can make a couple of million off of ticket sales alone with the magic formula.

I'm not disagreeing with you, I'm just saying I wish these kinds of movies were made primarily for the fans instead of primarily for the money; the way I see it, they've got two general options when it comes to making movies like these:

Option 1:

make their own story that doesn't follow the comics
impress a lot of people who want to see the movie for sheer entertainment value (these are not fans - these are mere viewers)
displease a lot of true fans because they opted to not follow the actual storyline and plot development
make tons of money regardless
Option 2:

develop the movie to follow the actual plot of the respective comic book(s)
impress a lot of people who want to see the movie for sheer entertainment value (again, these people are just viewers...since they don't know better, they'll be impressed regardless of how the movie plays out)
also impress the true fans by sticking to the plot of the comic books
make even more money because you're making both market segments happy instead of just one
Now, I realize that regardless of which way they go, they're going to be making a pile of money either way. It just seems more obvious to me to make these kinds of movies stick to the real story behind them, because they'll gain more support from the real fan-base (which is huge, by the way), meanwhile they'll also be pleasing your average viewer that just goes to see the movie to see it.

Another movie that comes to mind that fits this bill is the Star Trek movie that came out last year (it's a bit of a different story because it's not based on a comic, but it is based on an existing show and I hope you get where I'm going with this); I personally thought it was good, and even though I've seen every episode of the original Star Trek, as well as TNG and all the movies several times each, I'm not what you would call a true Star Trek fan (Trekkie? lulz.). But I know a lot of people that I would consider to be real Trekkies, and they absolutely hated this movie because it didn't follow some of the aspects from the original Star Trek (which might as well be a comic in this case).

I guess, to sum up, I just don't understand why producers/writers/directors or whoever it is that makes these movies don't just give the true fans what they want; everyone else will be just as happy since they don't know better anyways.

Oh, and also, just because you stick to the storyline of a comic book doesn't mean the movie has to be boring, or that you're somehow restricting yourself from making the movie exciting; in fact, I think it's quite the opposite - the story already exists, all they have to do is find a good cast to portray it the right way and some fancy effects to jazz it all up.

GhostFalcon3
06-08-2010, 02:40 PM
The first guy is doing fine, no need to change him.

jtr1gg3r
06-08-2010, 02:45 PM
The first guy is doing fine, no need to change him.

apart from the fact he quit.

H0p3sfalL
06-08-2010, 03:02 PM
:goodpost - Iconoclast

i think having a "Black or African-American" is a HUGE ! mistake. Why did Stan Lee have to sell out ? If he had the final say im sure SPM would not be black.

Louis BCFC1875
06-08-2010, 03:05 PM
At the end of the day, it's a Twitter campaign & it's not going to be down to the fans who plays Spiderman, it will be down to whoever does the casting, and like i have said, a black spiderman would look out of place.

iJon72
06-08-2010, 03:11 PM
i dont mind its just when you hear spider man you think of a white person and when you think of some one like the green lantern you think of a black person.

people may find it weird but they will proberly get over it

KFZ Scrubs
06-08-2010, 03:59 PM
At the end of the day, it's a Twitter campaign & it's not going to be down to the fans who plays Spiderman, it will be down to whoever does the casting, and like i have said, a black spiderman would look out of place.
If they have a huge amount of people though who want it, they'll probably cast him anyway because they'll see them as potential movie goers or whatever.
As for the Green Lantern, i really don't care if he was white or black because i know he was both in the comic book series.

Capn Doug
06-08-2010, 05:03 PM

I'm quoting this one just because it is shorter, the same ideas are in both of your posts, Iconoclast.

I am definitely a comic book fan, and I don't have a problem with a few tweeks to the story. I don't mind if they don't stick to the plot, so long as the essence of the characters is there and so long as the ideas that really captured the imagination of the fans are still there.

For example, I didn't have a problem with the geneticly engineered spider vs the radioactive spider in Spider-Man 1, or even the organic webshooters. I did have a problem with them trying to shoehorn the Sandman into his origin story in Spider-Man 3. The burgler is supposed to be some nameless faceless goon, someone that would have taken no effort to stop, not someone who came back as a supervillian. May as well have made him the Hamburgler.

I didn't have a problem with the way they introduced a lot of the characters in X-Men 3 (OMG! Beast is there but not an original team member?!?), but I did have a problem with them unceramoniously killing Cyclops and Professor X because people thought it was so brilliant that they killed Jean Grey in X2, despite the fact that it is one of the most highly acclaimed moments in comic book history.

Seriously, if they just word for word copied a comic book story, or even directly took the plot, they would probably push Marvel out of business since they would only get the "true fans" out to see it. And even then, they wouldn't see it again because they have read the story so many times before.

Iconoclast
06-08-2010, 05:52 PM
The burgler is supposed to be some nameless faceless goon, someone that would have taken no effort to stop, not someone who came back as a supervillian. May as well have made him the Hamburgler.

I just felt this needed to be re-posted. Finally, someone who understands.

rvlution
06-09-2010, 09:31 PM
This angers me more than Jamie Foxx being cast as Lynch. So completely stupid!

Louis BCFC1875
06-09-2010, 10:17 PM
If they have a huge amount of people though who want it, they'll probably cast him anyway because they'll see them as potential movie goers or whatever.
As for the Green Lantern, i really don't care if he was white or black because i know he was both in the comic book series. Well i highly doubt that the person who does the casting of the film is actually going to listen to a campaign, because a black spider-man really wouldn't suit the film, at the end of the day, it will be the person who does the casting who will decide what goes on.

rvlution
06-10-2010, 02:14 AM
I'm sorry but if this happens, the Spiderman series will officially be a sellout.

Pyrochaos
06-10-2010, 02:35 PM
i dont mind its just when you hear spider man you think of a white person and when you think of some one like the green lantern you think of a black person.

people may find it weird but they will proberly get over it

Green Lanturn was only back in one of the versions. The original Green Lanturn was a white dude, which is the one that Ryan Renolds will be playing.

Although I liked John Stewart as the Green Lanturn, he doesn't come close to Hal Jordan.

ApochWeiss
06-11-2010, 04:11 AM
I've been a Spidey fan since I was 7 years old. I'm 24 now and still read/collect the comics. NEVER has there been a black Spider-Man character. Unless in the past 4 years there was a side story I never knew about, none has ever existed. And there's been plenty of parallel universes. I'm no racist, but I'm one of those guys who feel if you are going to adapt something so well situated in media such as Spider-Man, one of Marvel's most beloved comic book icons, then you need to stick to the freakin' script. I agree three was wretched but, come on, this is just pushing it too much.

If Hollywood DOES cast a black spidey, I'm not going. I won't buy it, I won't rent it. I'm not a racist, but it's the simple principal. Just like Kane & Lynch, I'm not going to it when it comes out. They are friggin' white guys in the game, and in the sequel. Why the fuck did they cast Jamie Fox? Aside the fact I don't like him as an actor, it deviates from the original and the OCD in me is PO'D.

X monkfish69 X
06-11-2010, 02:03 PM
Terrible terrible idea. I would be actually boycott the next Spiderman film(s) if they chose to have a black actor. Not because of any racist issues, but due to the fact that they are just messing with things for the sheer hell of it.

It's like Catwoman all over again. They only chose Halle Berry cause she was hot property at the time and they though that she might bring more viewers to the film if she was in it, but instead a lot of people passed it up (mostly cause it was shit :) ), but because the change in skin colour annoyed the die hard comicbook fans.

It's wrong to do that. Just plain wrong and people shouldn't be allowed to do it.

Capn Doug
06-11-2010, 06:18 PM
It's like Catwoman all over again. They only chose Halle Berry cause she was hot property at the time and they though that she might bring more viewers to the film if she was in it, but instead a lot of people passed it up (mostly cause it was shit :) ), but because the change in skin colour annoyed the die hard comicbook fans.

It's wrong to do that. Just plain wrong and people shouldn't be allowed to do it.

I think I would have been pissed at Halle Berry or the casting director for that if the film had anything to do with the actual comic book character aside from the name and the fact that she had a whip. As it is, I am just pissed that money was wasted on it.

rvlution
06-11-2010, 11:12 PM
I've been a Spidey fan since I was 7 years old. I'm 24 now and still read/collect the comics. NEVER has there been a black Spider-Man character. Unless in the past 4 years there was a side story I never knew about, none has ever existed. And there's been plenty of parallel universes. I'm no racist, but I'm one of those guys who feel if you are going to adapt something so well situated in media such as Spider-Man, one of Marvel's most beloved comic book icons, then you need to stick to the freakin' script. I agree three was wretched but, come on, this is just pushing it too much.

If Hollywood DOES cast a black spidey, I'm not going. I won't buy it, I won't rent it. I'm not a racist, but it's the simple principal. Just like Kane & Lynch, I'm not going to it when it comes out. They are friggin' white guys in the game, and in the sequel. Why the fuck did they cast Jamie Fox? Aside the fact I don't like him as an actor, it deviates from the original and the OCD in me is PO'D.

I agree completely. Hollywood sucks.

BlamelessSoul
06-11-2010, 11:35 PM
I dont like things like this, not because im racist, because it just isnt right. I did not like black catwoman and i really didnt like black kigpin in daredevil. I am sorry there isn't more black comic book characters but hey it is what it is. If their going to do this why not a transgender wonderwoman, an korean supeman while their at it, no thanks.

KFZ Scrubs
06-12-2010, 02:27 AM
I dont like things like this, not because im racist, because it just isnt right. I did not like black catwoman and i really didnt like black kigpin in daredevil. I am sorry there isn't more black comic book characters but hey it is what it is. If their going to do this why not a transgender wonderwoman, an korean supeman while their at it, no thanks.
I'm not going to lie...... I kind of liked Michael Clarke Duncan.... that's only because i like him though. Kinda wished that he would be the big fat king pin.... oh well.....w/e.

BlamelessSoul
06-13-2010, 01:11 AM
see i like him too, and he did a fine job its just that the kingpin was a fat white guy, not a muscular black guy

Crimson Son88
06-13-2010, 02:02 AM
Green Lanturn was only back in one of the versions. The original Green Lanturn was a white dude, which is the one that Ryan Renolds will be playing.

Although I liked John Stewart as the Green Lanturn, he doesn't come close to Hal Jordan.

The original Green Lantern was a white guy but Ryan Reynolds isn't playing him. Ryan Reynolds is playing Hal Jordan and the original Green Lantern was Alan Scott.

jamie1000013
06-13-2010, 04:43 AM
Wow remaking spiderman they have run out of ideas. They probably will make him black doesn't really matter though as long as he'es a good actor. Soon the person playing the new batman will be a short chinese man with glasses lol