PDA

View Full Version : So Alpha Protocol Wasn't That Good (Sucked)

joepenn18
06-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Alright well I didn't play it, but I heard that it wasn't very good. That doesn't automatically mean that New Vegas will suck, of course, but what do you think? Does this change your opinion on your hopes for New Vegas?

jmowen
06-03-2010, 05:32 AM
Are they made from the same developer?

Regardless, Fallout 3 was awesome. New Vegas will be better. No matter how bad or great one game is won't influence my decision of another game.

joepenn18
06-03-2010, 05:45 AM
They are, indeed, made by the same developer, Obsidian.

jgahagan
06-04-2010, 07:15 PM
I'll be honest, I was a little worried after playing Alpha Protocol, but I believe Bethesda will watch over Obsidian more carefully and won't make outlandish demands and generally be dicks. SEGA helped ruin Alpha.

Pixo
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
I don't think New Vegas will be as bad as Alpha Protocol was. Obsidian saw how Fallout 3 was made and they saw their mistakes in AP. I don't think they'll make the same mistakes in New Vegas. Every company has to have at least 1 failed project, just to see their mistakes.

I'm a little worried about it, but I'm sure it'll turn out fine in the end. Bethesda is watching.

KNIGHTOFSERA
06-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Well I was a little worried but then I thought about it and Im really not now....they are using everything from FO3 and adding in new features, and so far the features look good...like sidekick commands

but if they do mess it up I will certainly rage over the fact that I spent 80 dollars

Jet1337
06-06-2010, 04:36 PM
I can't believe you're being skeptical on New Vegas. From what I've seen, it'll top Fallout 3. It's basically the same shit, but with more weapons, more FPS-oriented, and overall better.

Alpha Protocol sucked a dick because sega was involved. Anything sega is involved with turns to shit. Look at AvP.

jgahagan
06-06-2010, 08:33 PM
I've seen a gameplay snippet on IGN and I have to say it's rekindled my anticipation. It looks freakin' sweet! No worries whatsoever now!

BlindxLink
06-06-2010, 10:18 PM
I also think people need to remember Obsidian (Black Isle) developed the original games. They aren't going to fuck up their own series.

Mooney910
06-08-2010, 04:19 AM
Here's another thing. Alpha Protocol wasn't that bad.

Jet1337
06-08-2010, 03:02 PM
Here's something to ponder. Alpha Protocol was crap.

KNIGHTOFSERA
06-08-2010, 03:28 PM
I also think people need to remember Obsidian (Black Isle) developed the original games. They aren't going to fuck up their own series.

Its a totally different style of play, and plus other companies have "fucked up" their own series before

Mooney910
06-09-2010, 04:03 AM
Here's something to ponder. Alpha Protocol was crap.

Why so hostile towards decent games? AVP was easily one of the best balanced multiplayer I've played in a while. Alpha Protocol is also a decent game. Graphics are outdated, but it is the best spy RPG for the xbox I've played.

Jet1337
06-09-2010, 10:14 AM
AVP was easily one of the best balanced multiplayer

Balanced in theory, but when they put it in action it wasn't.

jgahagan
06-10-2010, 02:41 AM
raphics are outdated, but it is the best spy RPG for the xbox I've played.

Isn't it the only spy RPG on xbox?

Mooney910
06-10-2010, 03:47 AM

Exactly.;)

jgahagan
06-11-2010, 02:04 AM
Exactly.;)

Hehe, whoops!

Giptuc
06-11-2010, 10:34 AM
Dont really know how you could say that New Vegas could possibly not live up to its hype. its developed using the same engine that fallout 3 used, and they have built onto that, adding more guns/armor and modes.

its essentially a reskin of fallout 3 with additional content and an increased engine.

i cant wait to try out Hardcore mode... real meaning to a survival RPG.

Bethesda/Obsidian will not fuck up New Vegas, not after the success that fallout 3 was.

jamie1000013
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Hopefully they will iron out al the glitches and generally improve a near flawless game. All the DLC should be tested more than fallout 3 becuase it was quite glitchy and froza a lot. Can't wait for it though it's going to be awesome yaya lol:woop:

ITD Soldierboy
06-17-2010, 08:25 PM
Its a totally different style of play, and plus other companies have "fucked up" their own series before

Exactly, look what Infinity Ward did with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'm still having nightmares...

outlaw2448
06-18-2010, 03:01 PM

What about Perfect Dark that came out on XBLA the original Nintendo one?

CloneDemon117
06-20-2010, 12:50 PM
Hah.

Alpha Protocol was a flawed gem, it was frustrating to play in parts....but there were some brilliant design choices in there, and some that weren't so brilliant.

They got a bit too ambitious in their vision....the amount of Cause and Effect your choices have in what happens shows that....and it let them down. Also alot of people I suspect tried to play it as a shooter, which it wasn't...its an RPG and should be played as such...but yeah.

From all Im reading about New Vegas....

...its the true successor to Fallout 1 and 2, the missing pieces of those games such as Perks every 2 levels, Traits, Reputation etc are all being put into this game....and places like the Hoover Dam and groups like the NCR and Caesar's Legion are being taken from what was once know as "Van Buren" and being slotted into this.

Chris Avellone is massively involved in this as a creative director as well, plus writing for it....so its a day one purchase on that fact alone.

Panzer_Geist83
07-18-2010, 05:12 AM
Hah.

Alpha Protocol was a flawed gem, it was frustrating to play in parts....but there were some brilliant design choices in there, and some that weren't so brilliant.

They got a bit too ambitious in their vision....the amount of Cause and Effect your choices have in what happens shows that....and it let them down. Also alot of people I suspect tried to play it as a shooter, which it wasn't...its an RPG and should be played as such...but yeah.

From all Im reading about New Vegas....

...its the true successor to Fallout 1 and 2, the missing pieces of those games such as Perks every 2 levels, Traits, Reputation etc are all being put into this game....and places like the Hoover Dam and groups like the NCR and Caesar's Legion are being taken from what was once know as "Van Buren" and being slotted into this.

Chris Avellone is massively involved in this as a creative director as well, plus writing for it....so its a day one purchase on that fact alone.

QFT.

Alpha Protocol had it's flaws, but I was genuinely disappointed when I read that Alhpa Protocol would not be receiving a sequel. One can only hope, that Alpha Protocol will not be the last Espionage RPG we see, as I believe Espionage RPGs have alot of potential

And as for Fallout: NV...

It's going to rocktehsoxzorz.

tsydrown
07-18-2010, 12:04 PM
QFT.

Alpha Protocol had it's flaws, but I was genuinely disappointed when I read that Alhpa Protocol would not be receiving a sequel. One can only hope, that Alpha Protocol will not be the last Espionage RPG we see, as I believe Espionage RPGs have alot of potential

And as for Fallout: NV...

It's going to rocktehsoxzorz.

Personally, if they were to make a sequel to AP, then it'd have to up the ante in more ways than one. It really was a poor game overall. Graphically it just wasn't good enough, the "alternative" stories were good, i'll happily admit that I enjoyed the 2 playthroughs I had in the sense of the story was good. I didn't like the way the missions were set out, I felt we'd be made to think it'd be more of an "Open-world" than we actually got. A poor man's Splinter Cell, with a spot of Character Progression.

Obsidian had the right idea, but it just didn't work, I know many people blame Sega, but not being a Developer or Publisher I have nothing to back up me agreeing with aforementioned accusations.

New Vegas though, that's the Fallout 3 engine, and will be no doubt validated by Bethesda before going Gold. Personally, I reckon it'll be the best game released this year. Granted, others may disagree, but Fallout 3 was a landmark game in the Current-Generation of Games Consoles, NV needs only to match that highlight, though personally, I can see it topping it, or is that merely hope? :p

Judge Bergan
07-19-2010, 04:44 PM
Saying New Vegas wont be good because Alpha Protocol was a flop isn't very smart
-.-

Lyander
07-20-2010, 05:27 PM
Obsidian gave us Kotor 2, Neverwinter Nights 2, Fallout 1+2 and alot of people worked at Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale 1+2 back when Black Isle still existed.
So after one game thatīs not as good as the rest, I still have high hopes for NV

SpinelesS
08-17-2010, 05:15 AM
I never understood why some people hated Alpha protocol so much...

Maybe its because I started playing games when graphics were really terrible, But I havent played a single game on the 360 that didnt look great.

The conversation system was great, and I hope to see it in other games.

Was it the fact that unless you aimed for a few seconds before shooting every shot you took didnt land exactly where your crosshairs were?

bigbear2face
08-17-2010, 03:05 PM
I was disappointed in Alpha Protocol. At times I felt like I was playing a last generation game ported to the 360. However, it did have a lot of potential. The concept, the xp and leveling systems and the conversation engine were all very well done. I was disappointed to hear that it won't get a sequel because this is definately a franchise that with a little work could become amazing. Unfortunetly they released an inferior product as their franchise opener and the sales told the tale.

As to whether this will reflect on New Vegas...I doubt it. They are working within a framework that has already been proven with a quality engine. All they have to do to not mess it up provide a good story and some quality new additions to engine. Not hard to do at all.

evilhomer12345
08-17-2010, 05:18 PM
IMO fallout 1+2, alpha protocol, and AvP all were terrible. all had there own flaws.
but fallout 3 was amazing and bethesda is watching over obsidian.

Mike Conno
08-27-2010, 10:48 AM
What about Perfect Dark that came out on XBLA the original Nintendo one?

Calling Perfect Dark an RPG is the same as calling Alpha Protocol a Shooter.

Mike Conno
08-27-2010, 10:50 AM
Exactly, look what Infinity Ward did with Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. I'm still having nightmares...

I'm confused... Wasn't CoD:MW2 voted best game ever???

Mike Conno
08-27-2010, 11:24 AM
IMO fallout 1+2, alpha protocol, and AvP all were terrible. all had there own flaws.
but fallout 3 was amazing and bethesda is watching over obsidian.

You do realize that more than 10 years have passed between fallout 1+2 and fallout 3 were released, don't you?

Comparing those games to one another is a bit moronic. Gaming industry made giant leaps in those 10 years. Sure, they look like crap now, but back then they were top notch.

TriRock
08-27-2010, 09:03 PM
When I play a RPG, I look for a gripping story, an immersive game world, good dialogue, and interesting characters. Considering Alpha Protocol delivered on all those aspects, and I enjoyed all 3 playthroughs, I can't call it a bad game.

Also, anyone able to see past dated graphics but interested in a old school RPG should give Fallout 1&2 a try. They're two of the best RPGs of all time, on par with Baldur's Gate 1&2.

peternography
08-28-2010, 09:44 AM
They are, indeed, made by the same developer, Obsidian.

no you idiot it's black isle studios not obsidian
the originals were made by interplay and black isle studios obsidian had nothing to do with fallout do your homework damn

The Cripplers
08-28-2010, 09:52 AM
I had a lot of fun with AP. It wasn't perfect by any means, but once the MC leveled up a bit, it became a lot of fun. I saw lots of things that could polish it and stuff they could learn from, so if anything, I'm looking forward more to New Vegas than before I played AP.

fivebyfive200
08-28-2010, 09:57 AM
I don't think gamers have to worry about New Vegas. I don't think bethesda will let them fuck it up.

Do find it amusing about comments about AP and them getting pissed off about negative comments. I played it, liked the dialogue options and how it effects the game but thought the rest of the game was really poor. Got so much shit from the AP fanboys for a honest opinion

I did read:

The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world's greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work. And you can't exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn't want to listen. He basically took over the game and dictated exactly how everything would work (or not work, as the case may be). The other producers realized this early on and just gave up, leaving Parker to micromanage all the designers and programmers directly.

Sega also was a factor, because they kept changing the design requirements (yes they had heavy influence there), which never gave the producers and designers time to actually decide on one set of features to make and polish.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/alpha-protocol-game-review/comments/28270583/

People blame sega for AvP (partly true) but the development team were terrible (can't say too much)

lazygammer13
08-28-2010, 11:35 AM
I can't believe you're being skeptical on New Vegas. From what I've seen, it'll top Fallout 3. It's basically the same shit, but with more weapons, more FPS-oriented, and overall better.

Alpha Protocol sucked a dick because sega was involved. Anything sega is involved with turns to shit. Look at AvP.
not EVERYTHING sega touches is crap... the condemned games were wicked sweet. but sonic and everything else....

fivebyfive200
08-28-2010, 12:23 PM
bayonetta was decent (on the 360)

peternography
08-30-2010, 10:00 AM
ok i have to clarify a few things first AP was okay it was a bit below avarage but problem with it was ppl compared it to other games, which were better lol.
second alien vs predator "sucked" because of rebelion studios they made rouge warrior the worst game i have ever played.

last obsidian is not developing the game. see fallout -fallout B.O.S were all developed by interplay and black isle. later members of black isle left they are at obsidian entertainment. the developers that left are now working with bethesda softworks on new vegas only original members of the development team are working on it.

please stop saying that bethesda is keeping an eye on obsidian it's a handful of guys that work at obsidian and bethesda is not the big dog the one making sure everything is peachy would be Zenimax

fivebyfive200
08-30-2010, 06:16 PM
ok i have to clarify a few things first AP was okay it was a bit below avarage but problem with it was ppl compared it to other games, which were better lol.
second alien vs predator "sucked" because of rebelion studios they made rouge warrior the worst game i have ever played.

actually rouge warrior and AVP were made by different studios. Also it was pro-AP people that compared to others games to defend it

peternography
08-31-2010, 08:20 AM
actually rouge warrior and AVP were made by different studios. Also it was pro-AP people that compared to others games to defend it

it was rebellion and people were comparing it to mass effect 2 i even started to notice some similarities but yeah me2 was better only because AP had way too many useless skills

fivebyfive200
08-31-2010, 08:41 PM
it was rebellion

and people were comparing it to mass effect 2 i even started to notice some similarities but yeah me2 was better only because AP had way too many useless skills

I know it was rebellion but it was different studios

People were saying "you were expecting Mass effect etc" that were the comparisons coming from

Amakusa42
10-13-2010, 08:34 PM
I really wish AP would stop getting picked on. It suffered from Executive Meddling, Executive Apathy, and Shortened Development Time. Yeah, they pushed it back six months, but that wasn't for it to be worked on, that was to push it out of the fall release timeframe. Obsidian was switched over to F:NV in December, and didn't do any work on it from Jan-Jun when it came out. Considering all this, its a freaking MIRACLE that it was as good as it turned out to be... Which admitted ly as no better than a 7-8.

Qonok
10-13-2010, 09:43 PM

What is this "rouge warrior" you all are talking about? Is it a warrior that loves to put on make-up or something?

Ontopic -
I don't think there will be a problem with Fallout: New Vegas. My only beef may be is that they said they reduced the aim percentage in V.A.T.S. some. (Was in an interview on G4's X-Play - Fallout: New Vegas special) I loved V.A.T.S. in FO3 and, to me, is what added a certain difference to Fallout.

Ethereal235
10-14-2010, 01:18 AM
Alpha Protocol was a great game, IMO, but anyone who does have complaints about it has complaints in three primary areas; graphics, game mechanics, and the crappy AI. All of these things are basically being taken from Fallout 3 with a few tweaks, so the only real thing we need to worry about is plot. Plot is an area where Alpha Protocol excelled.

swl72us
10-15-2010, 12:29 PM
Alpha Protocol was Mass Effect 2 with crappy graphics. I actually preferred the dialog system in AP over ME2. I think anyone who could get passed the graphics found a pretty enjoyable game in AP.

yonizzlechizzle
10-16-2010, 08:07 AM
alpha protocal was terrible, sad to cuz i had high hopes. on paper that was going to be a great game but epicly failed. that being said i have no doubt that NV will be the best game to come out this year by leaps and bounds. alphas failure has in no way swayed my decesion on NV. War, War never changes c'mon tuesday

joepenn18
12-17-2010, 02:03 AM
Well anyways yeah New Vegas wasn't too bad ;)

joepenn18
12-17-2010, 02:05 AM
no you idiot it's black isle studios not obsidian
the originals were made by interplay and black isle studios obsidian had nothing to do with fallout do your homework damn

And it's people from Black Isle that went on to form Obsidian who went on to make Alpha Protocol as well as Fallout New Vegas, do your homework damn.

Nitnoid
12-17-2010, 04:57 AM
I played Alpha Protocol through 7 times to get all possible endings. Really loved it and actually experienced less glitches than Vegas. After playing 3 of the 4 endings so far, I still think I enjoyed AP better, but that's just opinion. I keep hearing people who have picked it up in the bargain bin really loving it. I think the damage was done by the reviewers mostly.

While Vegas is fun, its also very frustrating at times. Funny how they said the targeting system in AP was flawed because you couldn't run-n-gun, but the same could be said about the Fallout series without the public backlash. Still shaking my head in wonder.

I do recommend both games however...

bigbear2face
12-17-2010, 04:39 PM
not EVERYTHING sega touches is crap... the condemned games were wicked sweet. but sonic and everything else....

From an article I read in GameInformer it sounds like pretty much everything Sega has touched in the last few years has either been a terrible game that didn't sell as well as they expected or a good game that didn't sell as well as they expected. Either way their sales sound like they are not good at all. Small wonder there are rumors they are getting back into the console game with the rumored "Dreamcast 2".