PDA

View Full Version : Alan Wake...The most out of shape vg character ever?

KSizzle
06-04-2010, 07:33 PM
It seems like he runs a few feet and is already out of breath and hobbling around trying to catch his breath, acting like he could drop dead at any moment. Maybe I skipped something in the story that explains why he is so out of shape? It is getting pretty annoying trying to run from the taken in the woods, only to get a few feet and he can barely move. Could he be the most out of shape character ever? :p

Other than that, I am really enjoying this game. I just had to vent somewhat...

Red Testament
06-04-2010, 08:56 PM
I guess writing doesn't allow him to exercise much. Though not having written anything in two years, you'd think he would have the time.

Ron Jeremy R6
06-04-2010, 09:00 PM
so true, it annoys me so much..

porkfriedtar
06-04-2010, 09:05 PM
I agree, he has no endurance, but do to how close together most safe havens are, it makes sense to have him slow down so quickly. I really enjoyed playing the game on nightmare even with Alan's slow speed. If you're having trouble then just remember to stun the taken with a quick flashlight burst while waiting for Wake to get some speed back.

VladimirK
06-05-2010, 12:44 AM
Yeah, noticed this aswell.

To answer your question partially, wasn't Nico in GTA IV really out of shape too?
I remember that a lot in GTA IV, running away from something just for him to be out of breath and bent over about a street away from where you started.

Fullmetalx07
06-05-2010, 05:44 AM
it just means Alan is human just like us. I like that how he runs out of breath, but I think he runs out of breath too quickly, he should be able to run for a bit longer

Logan I
06-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Yes it was a bit annoying at first, but then after playing a bit I realized that it really added some extra challenge and a bit of tension to the game... you start running out of speed and the safe haven is getting close, but the taken are catching up now that you are slowing down, it forces you to use a little strategy on when to run, when to walk, when to dodge, when to use a flare or a flashbang. This game would have been rediculously easy if you could run without getting tired.

ConfusedGeek
06-05-2010, 06:53 PM
he should be able to run a city block at least.

but considering that the guys from assassins creed 1 and red dead redemption cant swim. maybe it isnt clear cut.

;)

piwo4me
06-05-2010, 07:48 PM
Lol i was just thinking this as I am playing thru on nightmare mode at the moment and running makes it a little easier.

I do like it though, some what realistic as he can't sprint forever.

judogrrl
06-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Yikes! At least the game doesn't force you to play Barry!

metallicorphan
06-06-2010, 12:16 AM
everytime he ran out of breath after a few feet when i was playing i would scream 'stop smoking 40 a day!!!'

and also,even if you are out of breath,i am pretty sure that if some sod came at you with a chainsaw etc...you could easily find that extra bit of endurance,its all the influence you would need

xXxDArKtOrNxXx
06-06-2010, 12:31 AM
well i start running whenever my mom calls me so i think he could find endurance but im still waiting for my game to get to me

Village Guy
06-06-2010, 12:37 AM
Yeah, it is pretty annoying. But as other people said, it just proves that he is human (and kind of out of shape) like the rest of us.

I like that he can't sprint forever, make the game feel a little more realistic.

Lone Soldier x7
06-06-2010, 12:43 AM
YOu guys also have to take note that Alan is jogging non stop for a while. When you make him sprint, he Slows down because he has already been jogging for hours!

NightTimeScene
06-06-2010, 02:49 PM
What a fat fuck!

it seems like he runs a few feet and is already out of breath and hobbling around trying to catch his breath, acting like he could drop dead at any moment. Maybe i skipped something in the story that explains why he is so out of shape? It is getting pretty annoying trying to run from the taken in the woods, only to get a few feet and he can barely move. Could he be the most out of shape character ever? :p

other than that, i am really enjoying this game. I just had to vent somewhat...

Mr GooDBytEe
06-06-2010, 07:17 PM
He drinks alot and pops painkillers every morning give him a break

judogrrl
06-07-2010, 01:33 AM
It feels worse on nightmare...I cant even get a full sprint out of him!

Fullmetalx07
06-07-2010, 01:36 AM
It feels worse on nightmare...I cant even get a full sprint out of him!

I saw no difference on Alan's sprint and I played on all 3 difficulties...if there is a difference I didn't notice it.

knightdedede
06-07-2010, 03:06 AM
It seems like he runs a few feet and is already out of breath and hobbling around trying to catch his breath, acting like he could drop dead at any moment. Maybe I skipped something in the story that explains why he is so out of shape? It is getting pretty annoying trying to run from the taken in the woods, only to get a few feet and he can barely move. Could he be the most out of shape character ever? :p

I'd like to start by saying... Breaking Bad and The Office. Two of my favorite shows on television (next to Dexter that is). Nice taste in tv.

EDIT: Wow, I never thought I'd be referencing Rockstar Games three times in one post about Alan Wake :p

Secondly, I totally agree with you. It's very frustrating to not be able to run for more than 10 seconds. I'd liked it better in the old days when realism wasn't as important and someone like Tommy Vercetti could run for 10 miles without taking a breather.

I feel the same way with the horses in Red Dead Redemption. The damn stamina bar takes absolutely all of the fun out of riding horses. If cars in GTA IV had stamina it would blow, am I right?

judogrrl
06-07-2010, 03:19 AM
I saw no difference on Alan's sprint and I played on all 3 difficulties...if there is a difference I didn't notice it.

Yeah, probably because I'm using the 'flare and flee' method a lot more on my nightmare playthrough, but still! I do love this game though.

mattshotcha
06-08-2010, 10:23 PM
some one said he is human just like us?!? if shadowy-ghost-monsters were chasing me, i would haul ass and not stop till safety... and i smoke 2 packs a day... one thing i definitely wouldn't do, is stumble around with my hands on my knees huffing like a geezer... he flat out walks at times... and forget about nightmare mode when you barely have the ammo and flares to keep the taken away... that's when it really gets maddening...

so, yeah, it's not for the sake of realism... it's so you can't blaze thru without a scratch...

Preedatore
06-08-2010, 10:35 PM
I feel the same way with the horses in Red Dead Redemption. The damn stamina bar takes absolutely all of the fun out of riding horses. If cars in GTA IV had stamina it would blow, am I right?

Not even a close comparison. The horses in red dead can sprint all day at a solid clip. You just keep stamina in the blue and time your button presses correctly.

bevan3423
06-16-2010, 08:16 AM

lol Im a big guy and I was thinking I could even run longer than this guy.

RadiantViper
06-17-2010, 12:29 AM
everytime he ran out of breath after a few feet when i was playing i would scream 'stop smoking 40 a day!!!'

and also,even if you are out of breath,i am pretty sure that if some sod came at you with a chainsaw etc...you could easily find that extra bit of endurance,its all the influence you would need

Haha, I was playing the game with my friend watching and every time Alan would slow down he'd say 'I wish I had stopped smoking!' :D

It's mildly annoying but I guess it's to add to the suspense. Wouldn't be scary if you could sprint away from every battle ...

dave1707
06-17-2010, 12:54 PM
He's almost as unfit as the tubby soldiers on MW2 who run out of breath after about 5 steps.

Pearson
06-20-2010, 12:33 AM
Alan runs as if he smokes 8 packs of smokes a day that he is so out of shape. In the next game, I hope they allow him to run further in Alan Wake 2.

NoMaD DiSTuRBeD
06-20-2010, 03:25 PM
lol Im a big guy and I was thinking I could even run longer than this guy.

Yea me too and I know I wouldn't stop for a breather if I was being chased by shadow killers.

olliet101
06-20-2010, 11:17 PM
I agree in the sense that he shouldn't be able to jog constantly, but come on, moments when he's in danger (outnumbered by Taken) or when he's chased by the police, surely he'd be full of adrenaline, not bothered about fatigue and sprinting at full pace until he's safe. That's what we'd all do, why why have him slow down in moments of danger, very silly.

Joshcui
06-23-2010, 03:48 AM
he runs slow as shit but I think his dead on accuracy makes up for it... maybe those 2 years he took off writing he learned how to shot revolvers like a pro.

cheeky 315
06-23-2010, 07:53 PM
he is annoyingly out of shape i agree but he is like usain bolt compared to Johnny Klebitz in the lost and damned

Niko in GTA was not too bad and much faster and fitter than wake

Armstrong x360a
06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
lol at topic. So true, the Taken are always catching up with Wake's lazy ass, silly.