PDA

View Full Version : The Joker Will Not Return

B1GM13
06-07-2010, 09:20 AM
Director Christopher Nolan (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/910/910810.html) has said that the Joker will not be returning in Batman 3 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/961/961205.html) or any other subsequent bat-films as long as he's helming the franchise. From the latest issue of Empire Magazine:

"'No,' says Nolan emphatically and unhesitatingly. He resists elaborating simply because, quite understandably, he says, 'I just don't feel comfortable talking about it.'"

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/109/1094767/joker_1275674595.jpg

Nolan's Dark Knight incaration of the Joker was portrayed by Heath Ledger (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/914/914641.html), who won a posthumous Academy Award for his performance in the film.

With The Clown Prince completely out of the running for the next installment, the question remains as to who will be the villain in Batman 3.

Source - IGN.com

Nozza XBA
06-07-2010, 09:23 AM
Personally I'm sad and happy about this!

After Heath's performace it just wouldn't feel right anymore if someone else played The Joker!

Will be sad to see him go though from the Batman movies but isn't this Nolans last Batman film? If so we could just see him in Batman IV lol

I do wonder who the villian will be now.. Riddler?

B1GM13
06-07-2010, 09:34 AM
Will be sad to see him go though from the Batman movies but isn't this Nolans last Batman film?

When July 2012 arrives, so does the third chapter in Chris Nolan's Batman franchise. So how will it all end, Spoiler Boy? Only Nolan knows for sure...

"My brother is working on the screenplay," Nolan confirmed to Empire Magazine. He continued: "We came up with a story that we are very excited about. We particularly like where we are taking the characters and what the ending is... There are things for me to be very excited about in addressing the characters again."

No one knows what that ending will be, save for Team Nolan, but the director does say that the third chapter in his Batman saga will be "the finishing of a story rather than infinitely blowing up the balloon and expanding the story."

Nolan also said that he will soon start to turn his attention to making Batman 3 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/961/961205.html) as great as it can be "fairly soon".

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/109/1094973/batman-flight-ending-pic1_1275688813.jpg - WB
Batman has an ending... and we can't wait to see it.

Nolan is not 100% confirmed for a return to the franchise as a director, but all signs point to Batman 3 having "A Film By Christopher Nolan (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/910/910810.html)" credit when it arrives in theatres July 20, 2012.

Source - IGN.com

Yup... this 3rd Nolan Batman will be his final in the series / franchise... expect a re-boot in 2015 ;)

Nozza XBA
06-07-2010, 09:36 AM
Source - IGN.com

Yup... this 3rd Nolan Batman will be his final in the series / franchise... expect a re-boot in 2015 ;)

Thought so!

Joker may be back then sooner then we think lol

jtr1gg3r
06-07-2010, 10:03 AM
I dont think anyone could replace Ledger atm

Schwarzenegger comebak as Mr. Freeze?

Maybe they could do that crocodile? Killer Croc was it? Something like that =P

That would be awesome, Crocs make everything better lol

B1GM13
06-07-2010, 11:33 AM

dont think we'll see Croc or Mr Freeze as Nolan wants to keep his Batman series more realistic.

thats why i could see The Riddler working as the next villian as it's not a really far-fetched bad guy.

Schism
06-07-2010, 11:54 AM
Killer Croc...maybe even bring back the scarecrow? as batman just left him tied up in the beginning of the second movie. The Riddler i think is a must. Mr. Freeze and Ivy would be a tad "unrealistic" for the movies...then again so would Croc.. lol. a team up of the Scarecrow and the Riddler???

Iconoclast
06-07-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm actually quite pleased that we won't be seeing Joker again. Out of respect for Ledger and the amazing job he did in The Dark Knight, it just wouldn't be right to try and bring his character back without him. Not to mention, nobody would be able to pull it off quite like him. And before you start going off on a tangent about "OMG LEDGER FANBOYISM" I'm really not; I enjoyed his role as Joker and a few other movies (The Patriot is another one that comes to mind), but other than that I wasn't exactly heartbroken when I heard the news about his death. It's always the same old story; famous people die, big hype, then they become even more famous (especially in Ledger's case). I couldn't really care less that I'm not going to see him in any more films, but I am sad that we'll never see a performance quite like that again.

That said, I'm hoping to see Riddler and/or Ivy the most in the next film...personally I was never a huge fan of Croc or Mr. Freeze so I'd be just as happy if it didn't have them. I would like to see an appearance from Scarecrow again, though; I felt his tiny role in The Dark Knight was more of a tease than anything, and should have been left out entirely rather than be in the film for a few seconds getting our hopes up that he had a bigger part. I really hope they don't do Penguin; Danny DeVito will always be Penguin in my heart.

Oh, and for the love of gawd, please exclude Robin entirely like you have thusfar in the series; there's nothing more homosexual than your completely unnecessary, spandex-wearing pedophile vibe of a "partner". Some of the original Batman movies (ie. Batman and Robin) totally ruined Batman for me once I started thinking about what Batman and Robin did in the Batcave when there wasn't trouble afoot...

Muffin the Holy
06-07-2010, 12:52 PM
Ledger recreated the Joker. He made the character from the traditional phsycopathic thief to a sadistic, sociopath whose only agenda is chaos, and he did it flawlessly to critical acclaim. To even make a new Batman movie with the old-style Joker would be an insult to his memory, in my opinion.

Now, Danny DeVito returning as The Penguins would be absolutely epic in my book.

Majica8
06-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Shame, someone else could have done a better/good job of it and made it a watchable film for me.
The Joker is a good villain, but in TDK he was crap, ruined that movie for me.

Pyrochaos
06-07-2010, 02:58 PM
I liked Heath's version of the Joker and all, but in my mind the only true Joker is Mark Hamill.

BedCommando
06-07-2010, 03:23 PM
Nicholson > Ledger
If you've grown up reading Batman comics, this is obvious.

KFZ Scrubs
06-07-2010, 03:28 PM
I'd love to see Carey Come back as the Riddler.... that would be freaking awesome!
I'd hate to see Depp as the Riddler, he'd just make the role weird. But, i think they'd go with him because he could be like a dark character in the movie franchise.

Iconoclast
06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
I'd hate to see Depp as the Riddler, he'd just make the role weird. But, i think they'd go with him because he could be like a dark character in the movie franchise.

I disagree; I think Johnny Depp would make an excellent Riddler...Carrey was good, but he was good for the time when Batman Forever was released (1995 I think it was?). I think in today's cinema, Depp would portray Riddler flawlessly.

BedCommando
06-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I disagree; I think Johnny Depp would make an excellent Riddler...Carrey was good, but he was good for the time when Batman Forever was released (1995 I think it was?). I think in today's cinema, Depp would portray Riddler flawlessly.
I think you should rewatch Batman Forever, and watch Carrey flawlessly bring The Riddler to life.

Crimson Son88
06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Carrey did do a good job as The Riddler, but I think for the new movie Depp would be good.

Tufty
06-07-2010, 05:31 PM

Oh hell no.

Anyway, Why God, why couldn't you have taken Bale?

Pyrochaos
06-07-2010, 05:37 PM
Carrey was terrible as the Riddler. That wasn't the Riddler it was Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey in spandex.

They destroyed that character for that movie.

sweatdog
06-07-2010, 06:13 PM
Since this has sort of become the "what villain would you like to see" thread, I'll bring up Catwoman. Hopefully, that horrid movie with Halle Barry hasn't killed the character in the general public's eye. I think Michelle Ryan would be good in the role.

Crimson Ridley
06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
What is with all the love for Ledger? Was it just because the guy died before the movie was released? Many other actors could pull off a performance as well as he did. People just found it so much better because of what happened.

I honestly think Johhny Depp could have been a much darker, sinister and funnier joker.

R.I.P Ledger and all, but he wasn't as great as everyone says he was, and The Dark Knight itself was a pretty bad film, that was just 3 hours of chatting.

Mister Mercer
06-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Bane should be in it and hopefully done right and hopefully have him break the bat.

SynysterChris
06-08-2010, 01:36 AM
What is with all the love for Ledger? Was it just because the guy died before the movie was released? Many other actors could pull off a performance as well as he did. People just found it so much better because of what happened.

I honestly think Johhny Depp could have been a much darker, sinister and funnier joker.

R.I.P Ledger and all, but he wasn't as great as everyone says he was, and The Dark Knight itself was a pretty bad film, that was just 3 hours of chatting.

It could be because he was a good actor, and people liked him.

I think Depp is a good actor but I don't think he could have done what Ledger did for the character.

And the Dark Knight was awesome, and movies can't just have all action. If they did they would be a Micheal Bay film lol.

Crimson Son88
06-08-2010, 03:23 AM
Bane should be in it and hopefully done right and hopefully have him break the bat.

I could see Bane being in it, probably a minor part though. Not like Batman Forever, but maybe a smaller part and have him protrayed more like in the comics.

domn8rdom
06-08-2010, 05:38 AM
Carrey was terrible as the Riddler. That wasn't the Riddler it was Jim Carrey being Jim Carrey in spandex.

They destroyed that character for that movie.

100% agree. Jim Carrey was just Jim Carrey in a bright lime green suit. Tommy Lee Jones was the greatest Harry Dent!

I would love to see the Riddler revisited.

KFZ Scrubs
06-08-2010, 05:54 AM
Of course, that's just me about Jim Carrey being the Riddler.... if they choose the Riddler though, i bet a dollar it'll be Depp.

Burning Karma
06-08-2010, 06:04 AM
And before you start going off on a tangent about "OMG LEDGER FANBOYISM" I'm really not; I enjoyed his role as Joker and a few other movies (The Patriot is another one that comes to mind), but other than that I wasn't exactly heartbroken when I heard the news about his death.
A Knight's Tale, no?

Anywho, it's the right decision. The Joker doesn't need to return for Nolan's Batman universe; anyone playing him would taint the legacy that Ledger left.

Crimson Ridley
06-08-2010, 10:41 AM
It could be because he was a good actor, and people liked him.

I think Depp is a good actor but I don't think he could have done what Ledger did for the character.

And the Dark Knight was awesome, and movies can't just have all action. If they did they would be a Micheal Bay film lol.

Ledger was a good actor, but just exactly that; a good one, not a fantastic actor. If he hadn't have died before The Dark Knight, his performance wouldn't have been as well-received.

The Dark Knight wasn't a great film, it was exactly the same as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen; a film that went on forever, never really did much, and just hooked you on hype alone. You're made to believe it was good, as you know it has to be for all the hype.

Surely I'm not alone in thinking that The Dark Knight was not the greatest film we shall ever see, and that The Joker did not deserve the massive craze he created. "Why So Serious?", no, "Why So Much Love?".

iBlessing 09
06-08-2010, 06:11 PM
Ledger was a good actor, but just exactly that; a good one, not a fantastic actor. If he hadn't have died before The Dark Knight, his performance wouldn't have been as well-received.

The Dark Knight wasn't a great film, it was exactly the same as Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen; a film that went on forever, never really did much, and just hooked you on hype alone. You're made to believe it was good, as you know it has to be for all the hype.

Surely I'm not alone in thinking that The Dark Knight was not the greatest film we shall ever see, and that The Joker did not deserve the massive craze he created. "Why So Serious?", no, "Why So Much Love?".
This is the most accurate comment about this film and actor ever, the only good part about him was that he was psychotic.

Pyrochaos
06-08-2010, 06:33 PM
How do you know he wasn't playing a joke on us saying that he wouldn't return? How do you know that Heath is actually dead? He is the fucking joker! He does this stuff all the time!

Mister Mercer
06-08-2010, 10:13 PM
they need to have some type of closure with the joker though aleast a mention of him in arkham

elephantd
06-08-2010, 11:54 PM
So many good Villians to choose, I want Harley Quinn! but it wouldn't quite make sense seeing the Joker wouldn't be their.

laundryman
06-09-2010, 01:52 AM
This is fine with me. I say use a villain once per director. Burton used him once (although I don't know if he would have brought Nicholson back if he did more films) and now Nolan will use him once. If a new director comes along and wants to put a new spin on the universe, then I'm fine with him using the Joker again.

X monkfish69 X
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM
I'd like to have seen what happened after Joker was caught by Batman, but seeing as Heath is dead there will be no chance of that now. Unless they do a comic-book continuation to bridge the gap between the 2nd and 3rd films... That would be pretty cool.

Villain wise though, Scarecrow (the actor) has been rumoured to make some sort of appearance in the next film if only briefly and not necessarily as Scarecrow ! But villain wise I don't know much about the Batman universe enough to pick someone that would suit Nolan's story and current Batman Universe.

Two-Face would have been nice, but it seems that he was killed off.
Mr Freeze would be way too OTT.
Killer Croc just wouldn't seem right.
Penguin, no chance.
Riddler, lots of rumours, but nothing confirmed....

But Victor Szaz (or whatever the spelling is) from Arkham Asylum could be good as an additional villain to another main villain if you get me...

Monkeyman 8322
06-09-2010, 11:36 PM
But Victor Zsasz (or whatever the spelling is) from Arkham Asylum could be good as an additional villain to another main villain if you get me...

Now he has already appeared in Batman BEgins but it was a small role. As for my choice, I am all for the riddler as long as they cast it well but there are so many characters that could be done, I think it will probobly be riddler though.

Spoiler

Also at the end of Dark Knight it is explained about how Batman is the hero gotham deserves but not what they need. And they make him an outcast so the threat or problem will have to be somthing only he can stop.

milecoupe
06-10-2010, 01:00 AM

I'd kill to see that as i love'd him as mr freeze

Pyrochaos
06-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd kill to see that as i love'd him as mr freeze

I'd kill if that happend.

"evvvweee baaaawwwwwwdeeee cheeeeeeeelll"

domn8rdom
06-10-2010, 04:29 PM
Rachel is dead so they will need a lead female character. Catwomen will be the next villain or maybe Poison Ivy?

Deadshot1974
06-10-2010, 05:58 PM
Personally I would like to see Catwoman or Talia (daughter of the Deamon Head). Cain would be a pretty easy fit also.

A Pip Boy 3000
06-13-2010, 06:43 PM
I was thinking about some villains. What about Man-Bat? That would be interesting to see how Batman would react to him after Batman Begins. Also, I was thinking, Batman give a young boy one of his gadgets, but I'm not sure which film it was, I think it was Dark Knight, so maybe would could Anarky? This character was a young boy who loved gadgets and made some to use against Batman, but in the comics, etc. Batman like's Anarky, just doesn't like how he goes around helping etc. Alot of things have also been said about Anarky being the Joker's son.

I think Anarky would be a good addition to Batman, but he isn't a very popular character. I would say Riddler.

Read this about Anarky. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anarky

jamie1000013
06-14-2010, 02:16 AM
Source - IGN.com

It's wierd how you quoted the OP and the picture is different lol. Apparently two face isn't dead hopefully he isn't he could be really good in the next film. The riddler would be good played by Jim Carey again. Riddler and scarecrow mixed with a bit of two face would be epic.

Madfrog0
06-14-2010, 03:02 AM
i loved Heath's joker, and im bummed joker wont be back.
call up Danny devito!

hodge
06-14-2010, 10:04 PM
Good! Heath Ledger playing the Joker was one of the best performances I've ever seen in a film, and it just wouldn't be right for someone else to try and match his performance

i m redshark
06-14-2010, 11:34 PM
Not really surprised seeing that nobody will play that role quite like Ledger. I remember reading an article somewhere that brought up a rumor of Rachel Dawes becoming Catwoman. I know this seems different, because CW has always been the alter ego of a woman named Selina Kyle. But when I think about it, it may not seem too far off. There was a scene in TDK when she gives the letter to Alfred and tells him goodbye, is it possible she knew she was going to die? I may be way off but wanted to bring this into the thread, what do you guys think? Please don't bash me for this post, saying it is a stupid idea. I am just recalling an article I read a while back.

SALT1R3
06-15-2010, 09:46 PM
Good! Heath Ledger playing the Joker was one of the best performances I've ever seen in a film, and it just wouldn't be right for someone else to try and match his performance

They would give out a different performance to try and show other aspects of his character, as Heath did when he didnt copy Jack Nicholson's performance.

On a side note, I really hope they dont start introducing Robin and other Batman sidekicks, the last series went completely to pot when they did that; I'm only interested in Batman as a lead character there personally.

FurryMohkis
06-16-2010, 02:46 AM
I really hope we'll get Bane. There's never been a good adaption of him to anywhere. What people often forget, is that Bane is also one of the most intelligent foes of Batman, as well as strongest. I was so angry that they made him into a complete retard for Batman&Robin, he's one of my favorite Batman villains. :mad:

Hilaryduffgta
06-16-2010, 06:31 PM
i'd be shocked if anyone can do a better joker then what ledger did...Riddler would be pretty good and while i was reading the thread i kind of thought that Depp maybe could do Riddler PRetty well....be intresting to see who they get for the next movie

BlackZero30X
06-17-2010, 12:26 AM
there had better not be another joker until Batman gets rebooted......and that had better not be for years.

that statement wasn't because i love heath leadger...it was because he played an amazing joker and to simply recast him would be stupid and not to mention an insult to the fans.

Benchem
06-17-2010, 01:06 AM
Calendar Man and Holiday would be interesting villains. They were from the Graphic Novel Batman: The Long Halloween. Probably not famous enough though. Calendar Man had a kinda Hanniblal Lector thing going on. A realistic Selina Kyle would be cool (Jessica Alba please), but The Riddler is most likely going to be the main villain.

Hilaryduffgta
06-17-2010, 04:56 PM
havent heard anyone but why is the main reason they are rebooting the batman movies?

KeepEmRolling
06-21-2010, 12:43 AM
Half the Batman movies sucked hard, especially Batman Forever. For future villians i'd like to see Depp as Two Face and Robin Williams as the Ventriloquist. Yes....seriously, i think he'd kick ass with the part.

Kirye
06-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I'm hoping the third movie would be the Riddler. I can see Nolan doing well with this character.

And as for who plays him.. Not Jim Carrey, he's already done it. And Depp? As much as I love Depp's acting, i'd rather it not be him. When I thought of who could play the Riddler well, as a cynical sociopath genius.. I thought of David Tennant. Anyone else agree with me?

KFZ Scrubs
06-21-2010, 05:24 PM
Half the Batman movies sucked hard, especially Batman Forever. For future villians i'd like to see Depp as Two Face and Robin Williams as the Ventriloquist. Yes....seriously, i think he'd kick ass with the part.
Depp as Two Face?
They'd have to do a reboot or something like that because of what happened to two face in the Dark Night right? Plus, even if he does come back, i think Ewan McGrecor was just fine.

givemesomelager
06-21-2010, 05:33 PM
if its the last one for him why wouldn't you think they would go with bane. i just hope they dont ruin it by introducing robin or a batgirl. a robin would be ok if done right but with how butchered it was before id rather just see it skipped.

KeepEmRolling
06-21-2010, 10:29 PM
Depp as Two Face?
They'd have to do a reboot or something like that because of what happened to two face in the Dark Night right? Plus, even if he does come back, i think Ewan McGrecor was just fine.

My apologies..I meant Depp as the Riddler. I was thinking Jim Carrey as the Riddler and the movie Batman Forever...wrote Two Face due to massive brain fart.:)

Burning Karma
06-22-2010, 02:33 AM
Depp as Two Face?
Huh? Aaron Eckhart played Two Face in The Dark Knight, not Ewan.

Darth Trom
06-22-2010, 05:53 PM
The Riddler, The Mad Hatter, Catwoman, Penguin, Harlie Quinn, or Solomon Grundy would all be good nemises for the next movie.

D.A.N.
06-24-2010, 04:57 AM
I wouldn't mine seeing The Riddler, Bane, or Talia Al Ghul in the third movie. With the way they're making the films realistic and based on what's played out in the first two I think those would be the three most viable characters.

Especially since Nolan ruled out Catwoman, The Penguin, and Mr. Freeze.

MGMT
07-02-2010, 05:20 PM
The only way I can see the Riddler in the third installment is, the complete
opposite of Heath's Joker, cause he already had Batman figuring stuff out,
while hoping for the worst outcome of his plan, which turned to people
being murdered.

If Depp does do it, which I'm really hoping he doesn't, is the complete opposite
of a dark, gritty character; a ratty, paranoid geek, who has too much time on
his hands, cause the only story-line I can see where the Riddler pulled a fast
one on Batman was the Hush story-arc, so if two of his thugs got in the way of
him and the door to escape, he'd choose the door pushing his cronies to the
ground, following their capture by the GCPD or the Batman, not a re-hash of
Ledger's Joker.

Yeah, in order to have Bane break the Bat, they'd have to have the Joker,
Scarecrow, Firefly, the Ventriloquist... pretty much everybody from Arkham,
and that's not including Jean Paul Valley and Robin, so already from said
characters, it can't be done properly. What would be cool, though, would be
the Knightfall story-arc done in motion-capturing like the Watchmen, that'd
be the shit.

Chico76
07-06-2010, 10:07 AM
I remember hearing/reading that they filmed so much footage of Heath for the Dark Knight, especially full scenes that weren't even used for the movie or the DVD, that they could easily include him in a new movie and we'd never know the difference... have to wonder what the truth about stuff like that is...

And really, with digital technology coming as far as it has... who's to say they can't put someone deceased in a movie? Only a matter of time before we get a "new" John Wayne movie... :)