PDA

View Full Version : Why the hell is this selling so poorly?

The Destroyernatorer
06-07-2010, 11:44 AM
This game is fantastically innovative and original, and as someone who doesn't normally like racers, I love it. Sure I suck (played about 15 races online, never finished better than 5th!) and sure I keep getting unlucky rapings where everyone seems to team up against me, but I don't care. It's just ludicrously fun and has so many wow moments.

So please, please, will more people buy it!! It would be a travesty if the online died so prematurely.

Nozza XBA
06-07-2010, 11:52 AM
Could be because Split/Second is better?

I havent played them yet and I wont buy them. Not into racing games, so i'll only rent them for the chieves.

But saying that the only racing games I buy are Burnout and these are similar but I just dont think I'm interested in them anymore and I feel theres better things out that I'd rather play!

There's my reason I'm not buying it/them!

A J
06-07-2010, 11:58 AM
I was thinking about buying it until i played the beta . . . Enough said .

The Destroyernatorer
06-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Split/Second seems to be selling equally as poorly.

And I'm not going to say which is better, because I haven't played S/S, but the impression I got from the reviews is that Blur has the edge due to having better online and more bang for your buck.

P 360 Nut
06-07-2010, 12:31 PM
Blur is MUCH better than Split Second.

SS is way to Disneyfied for me

Think everyone is buying Red Dead.

Nozza XBA
06-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Blur is MUCH better than Split Second.

SS is way to Disneyfied for me

Think everyone is buying Red Dead.

Yeh I think both have come out at a timewhere there's "better" games coming out like RDR.. Just look at it, its sold out everywhere!

The Destroyernatorer
06-07-2010, 12:51 PM
Better is subjective, but nevertheless they're completely different kinds of games. And compared to the winter market, there's not many quality titles out now anyway.

Barad
06-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Can't blame RDR for being a masterpiece..anyway this game really deserved a lot more sales, dunno what happened..

JohnnyRogue24
06-08-2010, 04:51 AM
Yea, this game does deserve more people playing it, but there were too many other games(like Red Dead, Split Second, Alan Wake, etc.) that came out at the same time. Maybe if they released the game a little later into summer, they could of have a been a bigger community.

Darth Bumfluff
06-08-2010, 06:16 PM
Yea, this game does deserve more people playing it, but there were too many other games(like Red Dead, Split Second, Alan Wake, etc.) that came out at the same time. Maybe if they released the game a little later into summer, they could of have a been a bigger community.

Yep, definitely RDR. Everyone on my friends list is playing it.

Give it time folks. People will realise what they're missing soon enough.

nicolascon
06-09-2010, 02:52 AM
This game is fantastically innovative and original, and as someone who doesn't normally like racers, I love it. Sure I suck (played about 15 races online, never finished better than 5th!) and sure I keep getting unlucky rapings where everyone seems to team up against me, but I don't care. It's just ludicrously fun and has so many wow moments.

So please, please, will more people buy it!! It would be a travesty if the online died so prematurely.

How is it innovative and original?
It has stolen almost everything from other games and just put it into one game.. I can't think of one thing that they didn't copy/be influenced by another game.

Don't get me wrong. this is probably the best racing game I have ever played but nothing about it is innovative or original ..

tehriddler
06-09-2010, 06:36 AM
First off I LOVED the demo for this game. It's great to see such a classic as Mario Cart redone in a modern and entertaining way.

From what I've heard though regarding sales it may actually be related to the difference from demo and release title. A LOT of people are loving the demo (still) they took it offline for a bit before bringing it back. But apparently compared to the retail game, the demo is just a lot more fun. The retail is supposedly more like NFS than Mario Cart and a lot of people were disappointed with the discrepancy between what they expected and what they were given.

Darth Bumfluff
06-09-2010, 03:57 PM
First off I LOVED the demo for this game. It's great to see such a classic as Mario Cart redone in a modern and entertaining way.

From what I've heard though regarding sales it may actually be related to the difference from demo and release title. A LOT of people are loving the demo (still) they took it offline for a bit before bringing it back. But apparently compared to the retail game, the demo is just a lot more fun. The retail is supposedly more like NFS than Mario Cart and a lot of people were disappointed with the discrepancy between what they expected and what they were given.

...but they would have to have purchased a copy to have found ths out?

Law
06-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Its just timing, RDR and Alan Wake came out a week or two before it and nobody is looking to buy another game right now unless they like racing games.

If it had come out mid June or July when pretty much no hyped games are coming out it would have sold a lot better. Note to developers: Don't release a new franchise when two other AAA titles come out a week before it.

The Destroyernatorer
06-09-2010, 04:41 PM
How is it innovative and original?
It has stolen almost everything from other games and just put it into one game.. I can't think of one thing that they didn't copy/be influenced by another game.

Don't get me wrong. this is probably the best racing game I have ever played but nothing about it is innovative or original ..

Its parts are unoriginal, but the mash up had never been done before like this.

OldWIKI TIK
06-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I also really enjoy the online in this game. I felt that the single player was a tad annoying at times mostly because its scoring system is similar to PGR's kudos, having to do tricks and such to meet fan requirements. That said it is far easier to 1k than either forza was and I think the multiplayer has replay value.

I am Gods wife
06-09-2010, 09:19 PM
i think more people are online than the figure shown in each game mode, for example 2 people playing community, so my friend and I joined at the same time and ended up in differnet parties 1 with 19 the other with 15, hence making me think is this 2 games being played not 2 players, if this is true when skirmish says 168 players this could mean up 1680 people in that mode, in all meaning there are more people who have bought the game than we think

The Destroyernatorer
06-10-2010, 02:00 PM
i think more people are online than the figure shown in each game mode, for example 2 people playing community, so my friend and I joined at the same time and ended up in differnet parties 1 with 19 the other with 15, hence making me think is this 2 games being played not 2 players, if this is true when skirmish says 168 players this could mean up 1680 people in that mode, in all meaning there are more people who have bought the game than we think

Interesting theory.

Personally I love motor mash, but have only been playing it in the evenings as so few people are on it in the day. I'll try it in the day though and test your theory!

Starstrukk X360A
06-11-2010, 01:12 AM
I never was a fan of racing games, but the power ups makes me imagine it as Mario Kart for grown ups (like in that one commercial =D)

Honestly, more people need to give it a try. Ever since I rented it I've been telling everyone I know.

Flik Nightshade
06-11-2010, 04:55 AM
The game is selling poorly because they made the mistake of putting out a beta for it and people got to see that it's a poorly designed, unbalanced version of Mario Kart.. and that's saying a lot.

The cars and class system breaks the game to the point of being nearly unplayable. The community this game does have is the largest group of mouth breathers I've ever witnessed. I've played the majority of popular 360 titles online and I've never heard as much screaming and use of the N-word as I have in this game alone. Not to mention the fact that 98% of the people who play this game cannot drive. Period. See a corner? SLAM INTO IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND TAKE AS MANY PEOPLE POSSIBLE WITH YOU! Sure, it won't help you win in the slightest and you're only helping that asshole 18th Legendary, but you'll be an hero and troll the whole race!

Seriously though.. I play shitty games for fun and this is possibly the worst I've played all year. If a friend of mine hadn't given me his copy, I wouldn't of touched this with someone elses dick.

The Destroyernatorer
06-11-2010, 10:54 AM
The game is selling poorly because they made the mistake of putting out a beta for it and people got to see that it's a poorly designed, unbalanced version of Mario Kart.. and that's saying a lot.

The cars and class system breaks the game to the point of being nearly unplayable. The community this game does have is the largest group of mouth breathers I've ever witnessed. I've played the majority of popular 360 titles online and I've never heard as much screaming and use of the N-word as I have in this game alone. Not to mention the fact that 98% of the people who play this game cannot drive. Period. See a corner? SLAM INTO IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND TAKE AS MANY PEOPLE POSSIBLE WITH YOU! Sure, it won't help you win in the slightest and you're only helping that asshole 18th Legendary, but you'll be an hero and troll the whole race!

Seriously though.. I play shitty games for fun and this is possibly the worst I've played all year. If a friend of mine hadn't given me his copy, I wouldn't of touched this with someone elses dick.

Wow. I don't have enough words in my vocabulary to accurately convey just how much I disagree wth you.

Mongolian Beef
06-11-2010, 11:21 AM
I tried the beta and I liked it ok. I liked it much better than split/second that's for sure. I probably won't be purchasing either.

Underkat
06-11-2010, 02:23 PM
I played both Split second and Blur and personally I do prefer Blur. I do have hunch as to why there aren't a lot of people playing this though... I work in a games shop in the UK and for the day of release we had a whopping total of ONE copy to sell to the public. Other stores in the area had 2-3 but no more than that so I don't think its due to people disliking the game as much as it has been poorly distributed...

Dla911
06-11-2010, 10:31 PM
I bought blur as i was trading in many games to clear my list of games out, best Trade i have done in Years, very happy with the game, its fun and a challenge on hard

Don Pedro X
06-16-2010, 06:09 PM
Blur truely is a great game. Much better than Split/Second. Dont know why it isnt selling more

redlight racer
06-16-2010, 08:48 PM
I pre-ordered it in February, and pre-ordered S/S the week before it released.

A week after Blur came out, I traded S/S for a 2nd copy of Blur because I wanted my girlfriend to play Multiplayer with me.

She played it for a week or so, but never really got into it... So i put the 2nd copy in a 5-day auction on Ebay last monday... It sold for $40 +Shipping within 2 hours of listing.
Which really surprised me (I didn't think i'd even get $40 out of it.. Let alone in only 2 hours.).

I have now used that money to order a copy of RDR.

I love Blur... Even though it's insanely frustrating at times, I still think it's an awesome game. To be honest, I don't buy many games, as I have a Gamefly account and prefer to rent anything I don't think I will 100% enjoy. :lol:

Nekro Neko
06-18-2010, 02:30 AM
I have both this and S/S and this is by far superior online. Offline not so much, but still fun.

Damien1P
06-18-2010, 03:33 AM
Just picked this up today and am enjoying it. Got an email a couple days back with a coupon for $20 off for being part of the beta.

P4TT
06-18-2010, 09:42 AM
Didn't realise it was available as a full game - reminds me of Full Auto but much more fun on XBL. I'll be buying a copy as soon as I can as it's such a giggle when you get a lobby wthat use their mics.

richbum
06-23-2010, 08:29 AM
they probably shouldn't have had the release dates so close to each other (this and split/second). Thats like having Gears of War and Halo on the same day. People's expendable incomes arent very high these days.

JerrySmurf
06-23-2010, 01:38 PM
I think the beta may have actually hurt this game. I watched some videos on giant bomb and thought it sounded like a cool game. I downloaded the beta however I could not connect to the servers at any time. I tried at least 5 different days. I have the game now and have no problem connecting so it was obviously something in the beta.

I understand beta are meant to be 'beta' versions however if I spend time I expect to be able to at least try a little of the gameplay. Because of this it went onto my buy later list.

TITAN Z4
06-27-2010, 06:14 PM
i have played both split second and blur and honestly i like blur more. split second was fun at the beginning but after you have played on all the tracks a few times and know all the little things you can blow up it gets really repetitive and boring... plus i love that blur has real cars...
So i really have no clue why people are not buying it i mean i know the economy sucks right now and people are not buying allot of games anymore (like me, i mostly rent cuz i cant afford to buy, even tough i really want to buy)

II TAPOUT II
06-27-2010, 06:41 PM
Its just timing, RDR and Alan Wake came out a week or two before it and nobody is looking to buy another game right now unless they like racing games.

If it had come out mid June or July when pretty much no hyped games are coming out it would have sold a lot better. Note to developers: Don't release a new franchise when two other AAA titles come out a week before it.

Honestly, this is probably the reason right here. I loved the beta but honestly wouldn't have bought it last week if it wasn't on sale.

I never was a fan of racing games, but the power ups makes me imagine it as Mario Kart for grown ups (like in that one commercial =D)

Honestly, more people need to give it a try. Ever since I rented it I've been telling everyone I know.

Me too, I've been plugging it to everybody I can. Hopefully the game catches on, because it really is fun.

mosin360
06-27-2010, 10:22 PM
I say its a combo of bad timing like it should've came out during the dead month of April. And since this is a achievement site, I'll say the cheese sucks. Majority are grinds that have a bit of luck included like having to shoot incoming attacks. It's a weekend rental unless you got a few friends who'll buy it with you.

matthotlips
06-30-2010, 01:30 AM
SS was soooo naff online, this knocks it out of the water. I missed out on the demo but I am so impressed with the retail. I have seen a lot of people moaning about the difficulty of single player, but I don't really want this game to be an easy ride, its nice to have something a bit challenging, and ill be playing this to the 1000 and more. This has become my new COD.

As for the post above about the community, COD is sooo much worse, for some reason I've found that there's such a better community on racing games.

SS is probably worth a rent,l Blur is definitely worth the investment.

red mist 85
06-30-2010, 09:14 AM
I'm not so sure that it really is selling all that badly. It's number 2 in the xbox charts in HMV.

If it didn't sell too well at first I would have to agree with what others have said and that's that there were too many other good games released at the same time.

Also, it was a shame both this and Split/second came out within a week of one another. I bought both, but I don't suppose everyone will have done.

Rusty187
06-30-2010, 11:14 PM
This game is fantastically innovative and original.

So please, please, will more people buy it!! It would be a travesty if the online died so prematurely. Its Mario Cart with real cars, I'm not saying thats a bad thing but it certainly isn't innovative and original.

Voxael
07-02-2010, 10:05 AM
I work in a games shop in the UK and for the day of release we had a whopping total of ONE copy to sell to the public. Other stores in the area had 2-3 but no more than that so I don't think its due to people disliking the game as much as it has been poorly distributed...

Seconded.
I work for an Australian game shop and we had this exact scenario. Day of release, we were sent 2 copies for the 360 and 1 for the PS3. From memory, we still haven't received a restock on either platform.

There were too many other games (like Red Dead, Split Second, Alan Wake, etc.) that came out at the same time. Maybe if they released the game a little later into summer, they could of have a been a bigger community.

Between poor distribution and the release of the superficially similar Split/Second, consumers either don't know that the game is available or they're confused between the two titles.

Also, as Johnny Rogue said, the release date for a new IP was too close to highly anticipated, big selling AAA titles.

Marketing and distribution really dropped the ball on this one - Blur is going to be one of those games that is loved by everyone who plays it but is totally unknown to those who haven't already picked it up.

Which is a shame because Blur has managed to get me (a non-racer gamer if ever there was one) absolutely hooked on the gameplay. I'm trying to convince at least 3 of my friends to pick up a copy so we can jump online together.

xCOBRAx
07-08-2010, 06:07 AM
I think the multiplayer has replay value.

says the man on his 5th prestige lol. But yeah i like this game, the MP is fun, worth buying and the single player is pretty challenging

Suki
07-24-2010, 07:50 AM
ok they were a great company and i loved the pgr's, all of them i wasted maybe 1000 hrs or more on pgr 3 & 4 and had many friends that loved the game as much as me, why ? becasue it was more forgiving than forza but it had all the cars and some great tracks, racing was exciting and very close as it came down to driving skill this game does not interest me or any of the friends i just mentioned becasue it is a total mess/crazy racing. They tried something different and it hasnt worked as there fan base has rejected it as did most reviews. Whats more its way to hard for this type of random missile up your arse type game, and rubber banding on a racing game is just the pits and lazy. These reasons plus many more is why they will go back to what they do best i hope.

DeafSunchaser
07-24-2010, 10:52 AM
just got game to rent today and got 4 chevos but its showing 3/50 click on it and it shows 4... for this reason im sending back to game to love film and wont be buying it! :) im glad i rent b4 i buy coz a lotta games are bugged and a pile of shit and very misleading!!!

Suki
07-24-2010, 11:01 AM
i would not send it back for that reason it has to be the worst reason ive ever heard, send it back becasue the games not good enough or its too hard for u but because 1 cheevo didnt register CHEEZ!

dakisbac
07-24-2010, 04:33 PM
just got game to rent today and got 4 chevos but its showing 3/50 click on it and it shows 4... for this reason im sending back to game to love film and wont be buying it! :) im glad i rent b4 i buy coz a lotta games are bugged and a pile of shit and very misleading!!!

I'm assuming you mean it says 3/50 when you view Blur on the games played list, but it shows 4/50 icons when you click it. If that's the case, you're dumping a really great game for an error it's not responsible for. Any errors in the dashboard are on Microsoft, not the game developer, not to mention it will fix itself eventually. Shame.

crazy W01f 816
07-24-2010, 06:11 PM
It truly us a shame that this game is being avoided. Good to know that Bizarre Creations is looking to make a sequel even though it had poor sales.

Kid Vranic
07-24-2010, 11:46 PM
are they? That is really nice cause it is one of the few games I want to play even after I got all achievements :D
I play mario kart with my son all the time on our ds and can't wait for him to be old enough to play this against each other :D

DeafSunchaser
07-25-2010, 12:33 AM
well i have been told by a few mates i should hang on to it but i still slammed in the post box... now he has given me his spare game and says i must play it coz its FREE... hmmm so im gonna give it another try ... at mo i have 5/50 but says 4/50 lol will give another go after the gears xp is over :P

master_shake_350
07-27-2010, 08:13 AM
I didn't purchase the game, My girlfriend got it as a gift for me and I really like it.

I played S/S and didn't find it as good as Blur.

I have yet to try multiplayer though.

cjpro333
08-01-2010, 05:36 AM
I pre-ordered it in February, and pre-ordered S/S the week before it released.

A week after Blur came out, I traded S/S for a 2nd copy of Blur because I wanted my girlfriend to play Multiplayer with me.

She played it for a week or so, but never really got into it... So i put the 2nd copy in a 5-day auction on Ebay last monday... It sold for $40 +Shipping within 2 hours of listing.
Which really surprised me (I didn't think i'd even get $40 out of it.. Let alone in only 2 hours.).

I have now used that money to order a copy of RDR.

I love Blur... Even though it's insanely frustrating at times, I still think it's an awesome game. To be honest, I don't buy many games, as I have a Gamefly account and prefer to rent anything I don't think I will 100% enjoy. :lol:

LOL I was on ebay looking for Blur very cheap and came across on for 40$ and jumped on it, I dont know if it was yours. It was from California.

loganm223
08-01-2010, 05:40 AM
i really wanted to get blur untill i played the beta the i really really really wnated to get it but havn't gotten around to it can't find it any where under 50$ :(

cjpro333
08-01-2010, 05:41 AM
i really wanted to get blur untill i played the beta the i really really really wnated to get it but havn't gotten around to it can't find it any where under 50$ :( Be patient on ebay and buy used if you want it cheap.

Siberkat
08-02-2010, 11:36 AM
I love racers! I was not sure about the game. Picked it up & IT'S AWESOME!!!!!! :rock My GF, who does not really play racers LOVES IT TO! She was a big Mario Kart player, back in the day. In fact, I'm sorry to say she's better then me. :eek:

The game probably did not sell very well cause it is kinda a niche title. You either love it or hate it.

Eraesr
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
Well, here's how activision feels about it:
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/activision-blur-was-not-a-failure

"While big sales out of the gate are always preferred, a slow first week no longer means a death sentence. A perfect example: DJ Hero was dubbed a flop on its release too, but what it needed was time for its audience to find it, a price break, and positive word from both friends and reviews to circulate. October and November were soft, but after the holiday, DJ Hero had hit about 800,000 units; today it's 1.2 million units and counting, all of which come with a turntable controller. That's not a flop; that's the long tail at work.

"So to suggest a game is a failure because it didn't sell hundreds of thousands of units in its first 168 hours is pretty ridiculous. June's data will be very interesting to see, and I don't expect to hear much about any victories it might represent, since it's a less sexy story than 'Blur failed in week one'. Bad news travels fast."

Seems sensible. But then again, this is the publisher talking. They are the last people on earth to admit one of their published games was a failure.

duedfc
08-11-2010, 03:08 AM
To be completely honest, I held off buying this game because it was selling for so cheap... at Toys 'R Us! I figured something had to be wrong with this game. But all of your comments seem to say otherwise. I'll have to add it to my rental list.

S1lentb0b
08-15-2010, 07:00 PM
Blur is a fabulous game from beginning to end, played with friends it gets back to old gaming where you and your mates gloat as you glide past them at the finish line and when taken online it gets better each race you take part in as you learn more each race. People just dont take a risk on buyin games that are slightly off the mainstream!

Alemon
08-16-2010, 04:02 AM
i really liked the game, i cant stop playing online races

Leecpfc
08-17-2010, 03:25 PM
This game is awesome online, but normally there's only a maximum of around a thousand people on it at any one time. Shame.

FinalEvolution
08-17-2010, 05:15 PM

I don't think it was a mistake at all to release this as a beta first. Bizarre got to see how the gaming crowd would exploit the game and made a fair amount of tweaks to fix that in the final release. If anything it was the pregame hype that this game would turn racers on it's head and it really turned out to be a mashup of PGR and Mario Kart. It's a fun game but in no way is it the new standard of racers.

The cars and class system breaks the game to the point of being nearly unplayable. The community this game does have is the largest group of mouth breathers I've ever witnessed. I've played the majority of popular 360 titles online and I've never heard as much screaming and use of the N-word as I have in this game alone. Not to mention the fact that 98% of the people who play this game cannot drive. Period.

So angry and untrue. Have you played Halo 3? My library of games may be somewhat limited, but to describe it as you do is just not fair. At the very least, you can still have just as much fun while muting everyone else.

See a corner? SLAM INTO IT AS FAST AS YOU CAN AND TAKE AS MANY PEOPLE POSSIBLE WITH YOU! Sure, it won't help you win in the slightest and you're only helping that asshole 18th Legendary, but you'll be an hero and troll the whole race!

That's actually a valid strategy. Trying to slam into others does earn you fans. More fans means leveling up faster. I appreciate the feeling that I'm actually making progress in leveling up even if I don't place in every race.

Maybe the worst game you played all year, but far, far from the worst of the year. So it's not your cup of tea, Roger Ebert. No biggie. I think it's a fun game and it's nice playing a racer that doesn't take itself so seriously.

Man On The Run
08-19-2010, 02:30 PM
Ramming into others is a strategy to a small degree but when the entire pack smashes into the first bend and i get caught up in it as im turning my car im the one who comes off worse as there seems to be very little penalty for doing so.