PDA

View Full Version : And Cameron's next Movie is...

Nozza XBA
06-07-2010, 12:08 PM
Sorry Abyss 2: The Deepening fans, Cameron's got other plans;

It's been almost 20 years since James Cameron (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/916/916364.html) has made a sequel to one of his original works. The last time he did so, it was called Terminator 2: Judgment Day (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/775/775128.html), and we all know how that turned out.

Now, seeing as how Cameron only makes films that gross in the billions, it looks like his next sequel may very well be The Abyss 2, er, Avatar 2 (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/065/065569.html).

http://moviesmedia.ign.com/movies/image/article/109/1094640/avatar-2-20100603042438741-000.jpg (http://uk.media.movies.ign.com/media/065/065569/img_7792406.html)
20th Century Fox
"Well, Rose... Are you ready to go back to Pandora?"

While attending the All Things Digital conference this week, The Hollywood Reporter (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr/content_display/news/e3i0179550940df36d100020fe121f4c397) says that the Oscar-winner hopes his next film will be released in three to four years, and it could be the return to Pandora that News Corp. exces have discussed with the director since Avatar broke box office records.

While not exactly saying that Avatar 2: Piles of Na'vi Bucks will definitely be his next film, he did say that the project will be "some other big film" that uses 3D. He also plans to use his next film as means to push 3D tech to new levels, much like he did with his billion-dollar grossing Avatar.

So yes, in three to four years, Cameron will only let you watch his movie if you let him download them directly to your brain. In IMAX. While deep-sea diving in an ocean he invented. [Source] (http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/109/1094640p1.html)

KFZ Scrubs
06-07-2010, 03:31 PM
Maybe it'll be a futuristic lion king huh?

Xerofox
06-07-2010, 03:33 PM
Maybe it'll be a futuristic lion king huh?

He could just use the script of Pocahontas 2

MopFlop
06-07-2010, 05:28 PM
or The Holy Road (the sequel to dances with wolves, a film which came out before Pocahontas with a very similar plot)
or infact one of these http://blog.spout.com/2009/08/20/10-movies-avatar-unfortunately-resembles/

Iconoclast
06-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Was there a Pocahontas 2? If so, I imagine it would be the ideal story to copy. Way to go, James!

Pyrochaos
06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
I wonder what movie ideas he will steal for the sequel?

Tufty
06-07-2010, 05:46 PM
It's been almost 20 years since James Cameron has made a sequel to one of his original works. The last time he did so, it was called Terminator 2: Judgment Day, and we all know how that turned out.

What's that supposed to mean? I can't tell if it was sarcastic or genuine.

Daiphyer.
06-07-2010, 06:39 PM
If he can make it any more unclear and confusing then he wins.

TVthePunisher
06-07-2010, 06:47 PM
It's been almost 20 years since James Cameron (http://uk.stars.ign.com/objects/916/916364.html) has made a sequel to one of his original works. The last time he did so, it was called Terminator 2: Judgment Day (http://uk.movies.ign.com/objects/775/775128.html), and we all know how that turned out.

Exactly what someone said above me, what is this supposed to mean? If I'm not mistaken, it became the most popular of the series and grossed in tons of money...plus it's the one that gave us the thumbs up while dieing meme that has been reused in games (including Mortal Kombat: Shaolin Monks where Scorpion gives a thumbs up while he's in the lava).

Overall, I prefer T2 to the original any day...a lot more action and I prefer "Wesker" as the enemy anyways.

Tussell
06-07-2010, 07:40 PM
Terminator 2 is the best Terminator of the series. Millions of people agree. I don't exactly know if he was trying to be sarcastic or not. Hopefully he was, because if he wasn't, the person is a complete moron.

I'm sick of people complaining about Avatar being a rip-off of other shit though. He may have taken some ideas, but overall, he made it his own, along with billions of dollars. :p

punker
06-07-2010, 07:42 PM
I'm pretty sure when the writer said, "and we all know how that turned out," he meant it as, "it was one of the most successful sequels of all time." Saying that Cameron is extremely profitable when it comes to making sequels.

Iconoclast
06-07-2010, 07:46 PM
http://blog.spout.com/2009/08/20/10-movies-avatar-unfortunately-resembles/

I didn't even see this...I think you just made my day. WIN.

Blah 2k
06-07-2010, 07:53 PM
Hopefully it's Avatar 2, the ending left me kinda wondering about some things...

KFZ Scrubs
06-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Was there a Pocahontas 2? If so, I imagine it would be the ideal story to copy. Way to go, James!
Yea, it's when she went back to America to show that her and her people weren't heathens..... i could see Avatar 2 going on like that. If it's remotely like that... we'll know where he get's his movie ideas.

LicensedForwar
06-07-2010, 08:16 PM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/Oneaspi/avatar_james_cameron.jpg

Kaifory
06-07-2010, 08:19 PM
Oh my god, it all makes sense now.

MopFlop
06-07-2010, 09:55 PM
http://i232.photobucket.com/albums/ee301/Oneaspi/avatar_james_cameron.jpg can do that with loads of films. ever noticed the harry potter, star wars similarities?
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

HarperBird
06-08-2010, 12:07 AM
The only thing Avatar was good for was its graphics everything else was shit and copied from other movies!

domn8rdom
06-08-2010, 05:59 AM
Terminator 2 is the best Terminator of the series. Millions of people agree. I don't exactly know if he was trying to be sarcastic or not. Hopefully he was, because if he wasn't, the person is a complete moron.

So true. I thought Terminator 2 was just as good as the first.

Can someone tell me why James Cameron is helping with the oil leak? what does a director have to do with engineering?

KFZ Scrubs
06-08-2010, 06:02 AM

Can someone tell me why James Cameron is helping with the oil leak? what does a director have to do with engineering?
Face.... getting it out there.
Plus he has influence i guess, his name is still fresh in the people's mind from Avatar. Now, if he's there to give advice on what to do, i have no clue, maybe he is a closet Engineer.

Tussell
06-08-2010, 06:51 AM
As much as I don't care about the earth, the oil leak is a huge issue. We've been sitting on it for over a month doing jack shit about it. It's a big issue. Any help is worth it. Hell, go buy Dawn if you can't do anything directly.

klokwerk
06-08-2010, 07:07 AM
I'd rather have a remake of the first terminator film than more plagerism, er, Avatar.

PointPlaceWI
06-08-2010, 10:25 AM

People use their popularity and work to establish their thoughts on current world issues and to spread those opinions onto how the world should or shouldn't react to certain situations. It's been done forever.

Also for all the people complaining about how Avatar is a blatant rip-off of "So & So"... I think whoever posted the scribbled in summary of both the Star Wars movie and the pocahontas said it best even if that's not what they were intending. No movie is 100% original. That is basically impossible. There is a reason why musical artists list influences, because that is what they are.. influences. Just because a series or product has profited more than one that showed similar structures that was created beforehand does not mean that it is some complete rip-off.

Iconoclast
06-08-2010, 01:11 PM
can do that with loads of films. ever noticed the harry potter, star wars similarities?
http://www.saynotocrack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/61074_harrypotterstarwars.jpg

LOL. I've never seen this one before. Awesome!

Also for all the people complaining about how Avatar is a blatant rip-off of "So & So"... I think whoever posted the scribbled in summary of both the Star Wars movie and the pocahontas said it best even if that's not what they were intending. No movie is 100% original. That is basically impossible. There is a reason why musical artists list influences, because that is what they are.. influences. Just because a series or product has profited more than one that showed similar structures that was created beforehand does not mean that it is some complete rip-off.

While I semi-agree with you, there's a big difference between subtle similarities and blatantly obvious plagarism. If you look past the fancy, 500 billion dollar CGI, Avatar is essentially the cumulative rip-off of movies like Dances With Wolves, Ferngully, and even The Last Samurai (and let's not forget Disney's Pocahontas). So while no movie may be completely original, you really can't use Avatar of all films to try and support your case; that's like trying to argue that murder and conspiracy aren't that big of a deal while using Charles Manson as your prime example.

megamoviejohn
06-08-2010, 07:46 PM

I'm sick of people complaining about Avatar being a rip-off of other shit though. He may have taken some ideas, but overall, he made it his own, along with billions of dollars. :p

Couldn't agree more, people are so fucking stupid.

TVthePunisher
06-08-2010, 09:49 PM
What I can't stand is people who say that a movie isn't original, when they can't support an idea that IS original. It is damn near impossible to make anything completely, 100% original...in fact, IT IS IMPOSSIBLE because a story always requires main characters, a hero and most times a villain (though not required, sometimes it's symbollic rather than an actual character). Really what I think is people should stop calling movies or TV shows rip-offs of other series...it's really difficult to create something new without borrowing from other influences. Let's take for example the most common types of stories you'll encounter:

1.) An Orphan starts out as a nobody, gains allies, constantly gets stronger and overcomes a threat in the end. By this time, he is known by everybody and beloved. So they start out with nothing and gain everything...the Heroic way.

2.) A small group or colony-sized faction of humans (or something close to that) come across a strange planet/abandoned spaceship and fight off tons of monsters/aliens/zombies while discovering some sort of conspiracy rooted in their own civilization/company/leader of team. Typically the main character is a small part of a colony that rises up and is typically the only survivor (along with a female lead most times).

3.) A female character becomes the focus of a storyline and usually has a very stern face as she pulls off near impossible to perform athletic moves and kicks litterly everybody's ass in the film/tv show/game/etc. while also having a very sympathetic side for anything even remotely female such as a computer/giant alien/dinosaur and shows the usual caring mother personality towards a robot/baby alien/little child/etc. The story starts out as them being divorced/lost/experimental subject/secret weapon/orphan/etc. and usually ends in them having a secondary male character live/die while defeating the main villain and saving the day.

4.) A story starts out with a badass cop/marine/super-hero that contains many humourous parts as well as explosions/extreme death/sex/lots of shooting and typically ends in no bad guys living at the end. The action comes first in these movies and the story second, as tag along characters are usually meant for comical humour (sidekick) or plot devices (such as a daughter/wife/son/etc.), or just support on a mission (teamates). There is very little emotional connection with the main badass until someone he cares about dies and then all hell breaks loose as it can also turn into a Revengeathon really quickly.

And the most used plot device for Super Heroes is...

A Boy/Girl loses their parents/town/civilization at a young age, somehow gets involved in a scientific accident/radiation/chemical spill/etc. and gains powers as a child/teenager and spends time learning how to control them. At some point they get involved with some sort of other character romantically and have the typical "breakup" BS that either leads to that character dieing later or a "makeup" at the end. There is always a villain and rarely one that doesn't have superpowers, with their desires being rooted in world domination/destruction and they almost always die at the end (unless it's a comic book then they come back another day...)

And then THE MOST USED THING EVER....(not the entire story)

A girl and boy start liking each other, they start dating/hanging out more often and then a fight happens, both characters go their seperate way for about 10-30 minutes and end up back together in the end. It always happens, in almost every single movie. This can also happen with friends/brothers/siblings to where they'll have a fight and end up becoming friends/okay with each other an the end again (sometimes resulting in the other character's death before redemption).

That's the kind of thing you'll find out there all the time really, there's only so many ways to change it...RPGs for instance almost always involve some villain seeking to destroy or dominate the world and you are a character that isn't really that well-known but then you happen to become extremely popular as you end up saving the world in the end. There's usually a cast of supporting characters that come along but it's not necessary (Oblivion). Really, I could go on and on...but just go to TVtropes.org and you'll find EVERYTHING that can be used in a story.

Seriously, they better describe it than I ever could...they'll include types of villains and characters, storyline plots and situations...ANYTHING. There is NOTHING out there that's completely original and people should stop bashing things that honestly aren't going to be. If people have such a big issue with movies like Avatar, why don't they bash space shooters like all the Indie games on Xbox LIVE? Nearly 50 percent of the games on there involve shooting stuff in space! I think the main reason people don't like Avatar is because it's popular...and there really are people out there that do this (anything that's popular is a no-go for them because if everyone loves it, then it must be mainstream trash! Trust me, these same people will do this for The Godfather, Star Wars, The Lord of the Rings trilogy amongst other things...).