PDA

View Full Version : Which film is worse: Anaconda or The Pursuit of Happiness? Or is something else?

Avenged Remains
06-07-2010, 11:33 PM
My flatmate and I were just having a debate about this, so I thought I'd ask some other people.

I originally mentioned that The Pursuit of Happiness (in my opinion) is the worst film I'd ever seen. He argued that his was Anaconda. Although neither of us has seen the other film, the debate led us to imdb to check the scores and (unfortunately for me) Anaconda had a lower score. In fact, The Pursuit of Happiness had a quite good 7.8/10, but I maintain that it's the worst film I've had the misfortune of being put through.

So basically, I'd just like to know what your opinion is between the two films, or if you think there's a one that much worse than even these two.

And again, this is only my opinion, so please don't tell me I'm wrong for thinking that :p I do actually like Will Smith in pretty much every other film he's in, so it's not just a personall vendetta I have against him ;)

SynysterChris
06-08-2010, 01:42 AM
If you didn't like The Pursuit of Happiness you didn't watch it for the right reasons or didn't get what it was really about.

Though to answer you question Anacondas is way way worse, it's really bad for a horror movie. Plus its just really hard to take J-Lo and Ice Cube seriously in a movie.

The Pants Party
06-08-2010, 02:03 AM
Let me give you two mathematical equations to show why the question itself is inherently flawed.

Ice Cube + bad giant snake CGI = Awesome.
Will Smith + real son + touching story = Awesome.

So, you see, both movies are awesome. But yeah, like the guy above said, if you thought Pursuit was bad, you either have no soul or were expecting something very different going into it.

crazy W01f 816
06-08-2010, 02:03 AM
How did the conversation of comparing these two very different movies even come up?

Coadster1
06-08-2010, 02:11 AM
How did the conversation of comparing these two very different movies even come up?
That's what I was thinking, they are too totally different movies, how do they realate?

shadow sniper
06-08-2010, 02:15 AM
The Pursuit of Happiness is far from a great film but it's still good. I've never really got why everyone hates it so much. I think it could have been a lot better but it was still wayyy better then Anaconda.

Coadster1
06-08-2010, 02:17 AM
The Pursuit of Happiness is far from a great film but it's still good. I've never really got why everyone hates it so much. I think it could have been a lot better but it was still wayyy better then Anaconda.

I think it's based on a true story, how can you make it any better without adding fake parts?

domn8rdom
06-08-2010, 05:48 AM
I have never finished Pursuit of Happiness. Once I saw Will with that ugly mustache, I turned it off I think during the opening credits.

Anaconda had J-Lo in her prime! So Pursuit of Happiness is worse.

KFZ Scrubs
06-08-2010, 05:50 AM
If i watch Karate kid with my friends ( don't know why they wanna watch) i'll come back here and tell you. If i do happen to like it for some reason.... postal.

Avenged Remains
06-08-2010, 10:24 AM
If you didn't like The Pursuit of Happiness you didn't watch it for the right reasons or didn't get what it was really about.

Though to answer you question Anacondas is way way worse, it's really bad for a horror movie. Plus its just really hard to take J-Lo and Ice Cube seriously in a movie.

Well, the most obvious reason is because I went to see it when I was on a school trip to France. A few of us wanted to see a different movie, but that got more votes. And it had french subtitles, which when your english kind of puts you off the film. But yeah, I think I just really didn't enjoy it because I didn't want to be there. I'm not soul-less or anything ;)

That second part's good though, it's exactly what my flatmate said :p

As I said, I just mentioned it was the worst film I'd seen. He said Anaconda was his. I understand they're very different, but just wanted to see what people's opinion is that's seen them both, even if they're not similar :)

PointPlaceWI
06-08-2010, 10:30 AM
I have never finished Pursuit of Happiness. Once I saw Will with that ugly mustache, I turned it off I think during the opening credits.

Anaconda had J-Lo in her prime! So Pursuit of Happiness is worse.

How can you say a movie is worse when you didn't even get through the opening credits? That doesn't count as not finishing a movie, that counts as not even starting a movie.

Deadly Moves
06-08-2010, 10:39 AM
A pursuit of happiness is an awesome film. Will Smith was even nominated for an Oscar for that film. And IMO should have won it. Great story, great acting.

On the other hand. Anaconda is garbage in every way. Ice Cube's painfull acting, J-Lo's painfull acting, shity CGI and a terrible story. Even jon voight was terrible.

Iconoclast
06-08-2010, 01:00 PM
First of all, you really can't compare these two movies with each other...they're not even remotely similar.

Second, while I agree that Anaconda is a decent contender for the Terrible Movie Awards, The Pursuit of Happyness (note that most people spelled this title incorrectly) definitely isn't. While I'll admit that it's not my favourite movie of all-time, or even remotely close to my list of top movies (there's so many!), I can't say I disliked it in the slightest. In fact, I don't understand how anyone can put this of all movies down as what may be the worst movie they've ever seen. Clearly you haven't been exposed to modern-day cinema. Or pretty much anything directed by Sam Raimi.

Third, I just felt this needed to be re-posted and QFT'd:
Anaconda is garbage in every way. Ice Cube's painfull acting, J-Lo's painfull acting, shity CGI and a terrible story. Even jon voight was terrible.

gatorbait
06-08-2010, 05:14 PM
First of all, you really can't compare these two movies with each other...they're not even remotely similar.

Second, while I agree that Anaconda is a decent contender for the Terrible Movie Awards, The Pursuit of Happyness (note that most people spelled this title incorrectly) definitely isn't. While I'll admit that it's not my favourite movie of all-time, or even remotely close to my list of top movies (there's so many!), I can't say I disliked it in the slightest. In fact, I don't understand how anyone can put this of all movies down as what may be the worst movie they've ever seen. Clearly you haven't been exposed to modern-day cinema. Or pretty much anything directed by Sam Raimi.

Third, I just felt this needed to be re-posted and QFT'd:

This about sums it up.

These movies could not be more opposite. If Pursuit of Happyness ranks as your worst movie of all time, then you must not watch too many movies or have a VERY HIGH standard of movies, but I take it this is not the case seeing as your making a case for Anaconda as the better movie. Pursuit of Happyness isn't either the worst movie out of the two you mentioned. When it comes to the topic of worst movie of all time, you can still do much worse than Anaconda.

Tussell
06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry but neither film is close to the worst film ever. If you're calling either one of those the worst movies ever, you haven't seen enough movies. Anything with Ice Cube is golden, and The Pursuit of Happiness is a phenomenal movie.

You want the worst movie(s) ever made?

http://andromeda.plymouthlibrary.org/blog/libchoice/images/coolasice.jpg

and

http://www.thefilmpalace.com/images/BeastYuccaFlatsPoster.gif

Deadly Moves
06-08-2010, 08:40 PM
Yeah there pretty bad films.. but for me V for Vendetta is probably the worst film ive ever seen. I had to force myself to finish it, bcos i rented it and didnt want to totally waste my money

SuperNova X2X
06-08-2010, 09:19 PM
Any film by Uwe Boll. Your move :p

Mongolian Beef
06-08-2010, 09:48 PM
Yeah there pretty bad films.. but for me V for Vendetta is probably the worst film ive ever seen. I had to force myself to finish it, bcos i rented it and didnt want to totally waste my money
Yeah, so overrated. I don't know why so much ppl like this movie, probly comic book fanboys.

TVthePunisher
06-08-2010, 09:56 PM
I enjoyed Pursuit of Happiness, why would someone not really like this? If they're expecting it to be an action flick just because Will Smith is in it, they need to get their eyes checked and realized he doesn't HAVE to be typecasted into Action roles. It's like Bruce Willis in the Sixth Sense, there's litterly no action aside from a gun-involvement in the beginning and maybe some sudden movements and running away from ghosts....yet it turned out to be an amazing movie with a superb job done by Mr. Willis.

Happiness has a very touching story and who cares how Smith looks in it? And I agree that comparing two movies that are nothing alike is just...weird. Now if you were comparing two horrible movies that were nothing alike, that would be different. For example, which is worse...From Justin to Kelly or The Blaire Witch Project? That's a comparison not based on what's in the movie, but rather how bad they both were...

And don't ever stick Anaconda in the same place as Happiness...that's like sticking Super Mario Bros. next to The Godfather.

Avenged Remains
06-08-2010, 10:30 PM
The Pursuit of Happyness (note that most people spelled this title incorrectly).

I actually didn't know that it was spelled like that. Guess I have an excuse as I said I didn't like the film :p
It's a bit strange though, seeing as that's not how 'happiness' is spelled. Is it different for some special reason relating to the film/story, or is it just because I'm from England and we spell things differently to Americans?

If Pursuit of Happyness ranks as your worst movie of all time, then you must not watch too many movies or have a VERY HIGH standard of movies, but I take it this is not the case seeing as your making a case for Anaconda as the better movie.

It's not that I don't watch too many movies, it's that I generally only watch ones which have some good reviews/trailers for them, are recommended to me by someone or just generally if I think I'll like it. If I start watching a movie and I dislike it, I'll turn it off or leave, it wouldn't make sense to sit through it. That's why I made the point of saying it's the worst film I'd seen; as I said above I was on a school trip so I had no choice but to watch it.

Also, I'm not making the case for Anaconda being better, I've not even seen it. Just wanted to find out what other people's opinions were. It definately is looking like it's the worse film though, so I know I certainly won't be watching it (unless I'm forced to - in some weird torture kind of way) ;)

These movies could not be more opposite.

I agree that comparing two movies that are nothing alike is just...weird.

And don't ever stick Anaconda in the same place as Happiness...that's like sticking Super Mario Bros. next to The Godfather.

The poll isn't really asking you to compare these two movies though, just which you think is worse. There are a lot of things that can be compared in this way, even if they're not similar.

For example, which is better: The Simpsons or Friends? I think both are fantastic programmes yet very different, but I'd still say in my opinion that The Simpsons is better. I'm sure lots of people would also have a particular favourite of the two. If you disagree, then think of it this way, if you only had two television channels with one programme on each, which one would you watch?

Comparing which is the better out of Guitar Hero and Halo is the same kind of thing too. They don't have to be the same genre to know which you'd pick to play first.

Or, just to stick it in there, which is more painful: having birth, or that other thing..... (although that may be more down to gender) xD

ThaFireman
06-09-2010, 01:19 AM
Anaconda was probably the first horror movie I've ever seen so I love it. JLo >>>>> Fresh Prince.

domn8rdom
06-09-2010, 07:18 AM
How can you say a movie is worse when you didn't even get through the opening credits? That doesn't count as not finishing a movie, that counts as not even starting a movie.

Cuz I would rather look at J-Lo back in the day than Will Smith with that ugly mustache

Iconoclast
06-09-2010, 01:26 PM
JLo >>>>> Fresh Prince.

Nothing is > Fresh Prince. Period.

Avenged Remains
06-09-2010, 01:32 PM
Cuz I would rather look at J-Lo back in the day than Will Smith with that ugly mustache

Hahaha awesome :biglaugh

Although I'm against The Pursuit of Happyness, I agree with this :p.

The Fresh Prince rocks :rock

Death Metal Jim
06-09-2010, 04:39 PM
As long as movies like Transformers 2 and Disaster Movie exist, then these other two movies are like academy award winners to me.

And hell ya to the Beast Of Yucca Flats. I'm gonna go watch that Mst3k episode RIGHT NOW ;)

TOPPSTUNNA
06-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Anaconda of course lol any day by far the worst.
Pursuit of happiness wasnt your usual guy
action packed movie or anything but it was a
good movie great story line and everything.

xForbesX
06-09-2010, 05:24 PM
i have to say that i really liked the pursuit of happiness, was a good film, and the original anaconda wasnt bad either, the new anaconda movie that came out in 05 or 06 was garbage!

Avenged Remains
06-09-2010, 09:48 PM
As long as movies like Transformers 2 and Disaster Movie exist, then these other two movies are like academy award winners to me.

We checked out some lists for the 100 worst movies of all time and only counting the ones we'd seen or heard of Disaster Movie was the bottom of each list! I must say I've never watched it though, I'd never put myself through something like that :p

Tussell
06-09-2010, 10:09 PM
And hell ya to the Beast Of Yucca Flats. I'm gonna go watch that Mst3k episode RIGHT NOW ;)
MST3K! So awesome!

domn8rdom
06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
Although I'm against The Pursuit of Happyness, I agree with this :p.

The Fresh Prince rocks :rock

I agree. The Fresh Prince was the greatest show and it put Will Smith on the map as an actor.

I have watched every Will Smith (favorite actor) movie except Pursuit of Happiness. But if I had to I would rather watch Pursuit of Happiness then watch 10 minutes of Ghost Rider.

laundryman
06-09-2010, 11:35 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the Pursuit of Happyness. Thought it was very good.

I think I've seen Anaconda all the way through. I'm not sure. If I'm remembering the right film it didn't grab me all that much.

Kunduz
06-10-2010, 01:28 AM
I'd go for something else like: Disaster Movie (because it's a fucking disaster) or any of Uwe Boll's movies

institutions
06-10-2010, 01:54 AM
I liked the Pursuit of Happyness.
It was a touching story. Especially the part where they stay the night in the subway restroom.

I saw Anaconda a long time ago, but I was too young to remember any of it, so I can't accurately answer your question.
Judging by others responses, i'd guess Anaconda is wayyy worse.

As for worst movie? I, personally, would probably have to go with something starring Nicholas Cage. Or any of those Disaster/Epic/Superhero/WTF Movies. They're filled with way too much unfunny pop-culture bullshit.

GrimmusTheFatCat
06-11-2010, 04:06 AM
Pursuit of happiness was ok but the absolute worst will smith movie has to be Wild Wild West. Who the hell greenlit the giant robot spider?

iBlessing 09
06-11-2010, 03:43 PM
Where's the other option?

Poison Ivy
06-11-2010, 04:10 PM
Anaconda is just.... wrong. Even the title.

dakisbac
06-11-2010, 04:44 PM

You're joking right? Please tell me you have a valid reason for not watching the awesome movie that is The Pursuit of Happyness.

I've never seen Anaconda so I can't say (which is what YOU should be saying btw) but as it's been said, Pursuit is a great movie.

I think Pants summed this thread up nicely.

The Pants Party
06-11-2010, 05:47 PM
I actually didn't know that it was spelled like that. Guess I have an excuse as I said I didn't like the film :p
It's a bit strange though, seeing as that's not how 'happiness' is spelled. Is it different for some special reason relating to the film/story, or is it just because I'm from England and we spell things differently to Americans

Happiness is spelled the same everywhere... except when it is misspelled. ;)

It is a nod to the misspelling of a Thomas Jefferson quote in a letter written by a bi-racial man in 1776. The end of the quote is written on the wall outside the "school" that Will Smith's character takes his kid to. This is from the actual letter:

"We hold these truths to be self-Evident, that all men are created Equal, that they are Endowed By their Creator with Ceartain unalienable rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happyness."

And this is the sequence in the movie of him mentioning it to his son:

Christopher Gardner: [about the spelling mistakes in the graffiti of a building] It's not H-A-P-P-Y-N-E-S-S Happiness is spelled with an "I" instead of a "Y"
Christopher: Oh, okay. Is "Fuck" spelled right?
Christopher Gardner: Um, yes. "Fuck" is spelled right but you shouldn't use that word.
Christopher: Why? What's it mean?
Christopher Gardner: It's, um, an adult word used to express anger and, uh, other things. But it's an adult word. It's spelled right, but don't use it.

Cacky
06-11-2010, 05:59 PM

:bow:

I haven't seen the first Anaconda, but I have seen the second. It was absolute rubbish. The snake looked corny and the acting was terrible. Bad film all round, in my opinion.

The Pursuit of Happyness, on the other hand, was a fantastic film that really moved me. Will Smith is an icon and pretty much all of his movies are excellent.

Purge
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
"So, right. If you replace Will Smith with Ice Cube, who would you replace the little boy with?"
"Easy. An anaconda."

Surely that's how the two films came up in general conversation? ;) The Persuit of Happiness got my vote.

Avenged Remains
06-16-2010, 10:15 PM
Where's the other option?

I didn't put one in, I thought that if I had people would most likely vote for the other option, which would make posting this Thread a little... pointless? :p

It is a nod to the misspelling of a Thomas Jefferson quote in a letter written by a bi-racial man in 1776.

Ahh right. Well, as they say you learn something new everyday. Although it was in the film I can't say I'm suprised that I didn't remember it. Thanks for the info though! :)

"So, right. If you replace Will Smith with Ice Cube, who would you replace the little boy with?"
"Easy. An anaconda."

Surely that's how the two films came up in general conversation? ;) The Persuit of Happiness got my vote.

Haha not quite. But I guess that would be pretty much the only other way the two could come up in conversation :p

k1lls1gn
06-17-2010, 07:10 AM
Anaconda.... The Persuit of Hapyness was a great film.