PDA

View Full Version : Hardest chapter in Nightmare?

Hoborg
06-08-2010, 05:43 PM
Hey guys, what's the hardest chapter to do in nightmare? I just finished 2 and I am guessing this is hardest given that you're limited on flares and the scene with the kidnapper took me several tries to get through. Did anyone else have problems getting from the forest to the mill? The last stretch right before the mill almost made me insane. I guess I got an "easy" script finally because only a few of them spawned on me and I didn't have a flare.

crewdy
06-08-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm just starting chapter 6 on Nightmare now, and so far the bit with the kidnapper is the only section that has caused me major problems (as he doesn't know how to shoot on Nightmare!). The garden area in chapter 4 was pretty intense, but as long as you save some flares it's fine.

Ron Jeremy R6
06-08-2010, 06:03 PM
I've started nightmare yesterday and I thought it was so easy,
I did three episodes in 2-3 hours, just run, run, run :D

N3xus Gam3r
06-08-2010, 06:09 PM
I'm just starting chapter 6 on Nightmare now, and so far the bit with the kidnapper is the only section that has caused me major problems (as he doesn't know how to shoot on Nightmare!) There is a reason why Alan Hate him :p

chanman
06-08-2010, 11:57 PM
When you have to cross the transformer yard.

Red Testament
06-09-2010, 02:32 AM
So far the part with the kidnapper has been the hardest part. I've replayed the game so much I know when they are going to ambush me. My tactic is to usually leave one alive and run or if a safe haven is close just drop a flare and bolt.

I have found a few places where I can sort of hind behind an object and it takes them a while to get to me. Like a fence on Episode 3. I just started 4, but I'm dreading the trip from the car crash to the rock show. Once I beat that the rest of the game is simple.

demphra
06-09-2010, 02:59 AM
the hardest chapter for me would be on episode 6, at the part where your crossing the bridge on foot as each floor falls apart, while a bunch of cans and car wheels get tossed at you was pretty brutal.

Rybo96
06-09-2010, 03:18 AM
the hardest chapter for me would be on episode 6, at the part where your crossing the bridge on foot as each floor falls apart, while a bunch of cans and car wheels get tossed at you was pretty brutal.

i agree i found that to be the most annoying part - no real cover and objects are tough to dodge, but its still not too terrible if you take your time (which was difficult to force myself to do after running from everything up till that point)

overall pretty easy on nightmare.

demphra
06-09-2010, 03:51 AM
i agree i found that to be the most annoying part - no real cover and objects are tough to dodge, but its still not too terrible if you take your time (which was difficult to force myself to do after running from everything up till that point)

overall pretty easy on nightmare.

the 2nd time, i managed to rush forward as i dodged the obstacles behind me, barely getting hit reaching the end while i was getting excited to toss my flashbangs when i arrived to destroy the tractor crane. but i accidently dashed forward out of the bridge causing my death lol and i had to start at the beginning of the bridge again. this time i took my time to destroy the obstacles. it didn't turn out too bad, and i made it through :)

crewdy
06-10-2010, 08:05 AM

I found this bit difficult as well, in the end I went really slow using the cars as cover, then spammed flashbangs when I got to the crane, killed before it even hit me =P

Hoborg
06-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Im sorry but I didn't have any problems at all crossing the transformer yard. In fact, I was a little bit disappointed because I ended the chapter with several flares, 7 flare gun ammo pieces and some flash bangs left over.

Pretty easy overall, with a few hickups here and there.

EvilAndru
06-12-2010, 07:05 PM
Because I didn't attempt it on my first playthrough I decided to try for the achievement where you don't fire a single shot on Chapter 6 on nightmare. All I can say is it's tough but doable. Harder then any other part on Nightmare including the stupid shooting of the kidknapper. :uzi:

pined5551
06-12-2010, 08:07 PM
I didnt find the bit with the kindnapper hard at all, lol. Maybe i was lucky. I am mid way through chapter 3, im expecting the hardest part for me to be the stage fight where the rock n' roll achievement is.

Redskinsfan26
06-13-2010, 12:46 AM
I didnt find the bit with the kindnapper hard at all, lol. Maybe i was lucky. I am mid way through chapter 3, im expecting the hardest part for me to be the stage fight where the rock n' roll achievement is. I found the farm fight to be the easiest part in the game since your oversupplyed.

The hardest part IMO was when the Dark Presence takes control of the funny farm (The Truth Episode). Your supplies are somewhat limited but wasn't at all too difficult.

Symbiote Venom
06-13-2010, 06:36 PM
None of it was hard i found it easy i thought i might not of put it on nightmare

thedoob
06-14-2010, 04:12 PM
Toughest part was the end of the hedge maze for me, that part just freaks me out.

Red Eyes Metal
06-17-2010, 05:21 PM
Defo got to be Chapter 2.

Yet this time round, I didn't waste as many bullets or flares, just got to be careful and not get hit.

olliet101
06-19-2010, 07:08 PM
I've got up to Chapter 5 on the start of my Nightmare playthrough and I don't think there are any chapters/episodes as a whole that are difficult, but as always, playing at the highest difficulty (for me anyway on MW2 and this), you'll have the occasion where you're pulling your hair out, shouting at the TV because it's so bloody frustrating, sometimes not because of the game.

On most frustrating moments, it has to be Episode 4. At the start, when Barry is trying to open the gate and there's the Taken ambush, I had no flares, so it was so difficult for me at first, but once you figure out what to do (there are flares and other weapons in the middle of the garden area), it's OK. Also, before that, fighting Birch, and the bloody birds! I just wanted to kill Birch and get out of there, but alas no, you're faced with two more Taken. Furthermore, past that, where you're left with limited ammo and you've got to try and get to the Safe Haven, whilst avoiding the bear traps and defeating or staying away from all the Taken attacks. After that, it's fairly simple, the ambush on the stage is fairly easy and like someone said on the guide, using the stagelight for health/as a checkpoint is very useful.

Episode 3 with the bulldozer was quite hard but other that fairly easy. For me, it's just those moments where you think you've beaten everyone, or you've got one or two Taken to kill before you move on and then BAM from behind you get hit and have to start all over.

RadiantViper
06-19-2010, 07:45 PM
I had to redo the kidnapper sections and the bridge crossing in episode 6 the most. Overall Nightmare isn't too difficult, but those parts were annoying.

Pearson
06-20-2010, 12:17 AM
So far I only had problems with the kidnapper, other than that Nightmare hasn't been too difficult. I found Insane on ME2 much more harder than Nightmare in Alan Wake.

olliet101
06-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Finished the Nightmare playthrough, both were frustrating but pretty straightforward and easy, another hard episode is Episode 6, perhaps I was impatient to finish it, but the occasion on the bridge destroying the poltergeists took several attempts before fighting past them all, and other times, it was "well just go to town on those flares and hope you make it to the Safe Haven!"

Episode 5 where the song "War" comes on the radio and you're faced with LOADS of Taken, I just legged it and used flares and made it, but it took at least 10 times to figure out what to do, very difficult/frustrating.

UnOvertime
06-21-2010, 01:08 AM
I found chapter 4 to be the hardest on Nightmare. The parts where you have to hold off hordes of taken were the hardest parts, the part where Barry opens the gate and the stage area on the Anderson Farm. If the taken hit you, they hit you 3 times and nearly kill you. Other than those sections, nightmare seemed a lot easier than my hard playthrough. Maybe that was because I knew when I could run or I just stockpiled more flashbangs and flares on nightmare.

Genesis x360a
06-21-2010, 01:17 AM
Ive just made it to Chapter 6 in one sitting (Need sleep before i carry on) and i have to say the only part ive had trouble with is killing that damn Combine Harvester on mission 5. Other than that its pretty easy :) Just stick and move with the flahslight and scan ahead for Safe havens. Mission 6 shouldnt course me 2 many problems ive got that mission down to a fine art afeter trying several time for the Non shooting achievement (Kept slipping on RT :p)

GothicMark
06-24-2010, 09:40 PM
Finished the Nightmare playthrough, both were frustrating but pretty straightforward and easy, another hard episode is Episode 6, perhaps I was impatient to finish it, but the occasion on the bridge destroying the poltergeists took several attempts before fighting past them all, and other times, it was "well just go to town on those flares and hope you make it to the Safe Haven!"

Episode 5 where the song "War" comes on the radio and you're faced with LOADS of Taken, I just legged it and used flares and made it, but it took at least 10 times to figure out what to do, very difficult/frustrating.

Yup - I did the same thing in episode 5... two flares and a couple of cinematic dodges and you're at the safe haven... Stuck on the Bridge in episode 6 though... just walked away from it ... try again tomorrow...:eek:

Angel Fire 42
06-24-2010, 10:18 PM
On this Combine Harvester that was kicking my butt - decided to replay the Anderson's farm and save the flashbangs for that Harvester. Had six going in to that part and finished with 1. It was sweet and over before I knew it.

In episode 4, the guy you need to kill at the end of the maze, I never fired a shot at him. He just took too much to kill so when going into that part run to the right (after short cut scene) keep right between the cliff and the stairs and run like hell to the light. That took care of him. At the end with Barry and the key, I jumped over the right edge by the steps, that way they can't flank you, (make sure you have a flair) till the idiot said he found the key. Toss the flair and make for the gate. Done deal.

Ali_P_84
06-25-2010, 09:52 AM
For me it was the bit in Episode 4 in the garden after the hedge maze. Took me a few goes to get past it, including learning Barry's lines so I knew when to sprint for the gate.

cheeky 315
06-25-2010, 07:03 PM
none of them were that bad, i absolutely breezed through the first 3 levels

the start of 4 was the hardest but i think i only died once escaping the house and twice going through the maze.

poltergiest bridge on 6 was also quite hard.

overall though not too much of a challenge

Elvia
06-26-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd have to say The Truth, where you only have a flashlight. What a pain!

Wildcats 418
06-27-2010, 08:27 AM
I'm just starting chapter 6 on Nightmare now, and so far the bit with the kidnapper is the only section that has caused me major problems (as he doesn't know how to shoot on Nightmare!). The garden area in chapter 4 was pretty intense, but as long as you save some flares it's fine. BURCH in the garden area was extremely difficult to defeat after the birds killed me about 5 times i finally decided to just run past them didnt die again until next level if you read this run past BURCH in NIGHTMARE mode it is easy to make to next checkpoint and the gate will close and he cant follow you

anthonyd46
06-27-2010, 01:42 PM
For anyone struggling with defending the lovers peak platform with the kidnapper. I just found that between the first 3 guys and the next spawn theres a 3 second delay. So once the 3rd guy from the original 3 falls dash towards the lovers peak entrance down the hill. The enemies will spawn and they will only see the kidnapper leaving you to watch the shown from the bottom of the hill. Since he has unlimited ammo and health its an auto win for you.

Ali_P_84
06-27-2010, 07:46 PM
For anyone struggling with defending the lovers peak platform with the kidnapper. I just found that between the first 3 guys and the next spawn theres a 3 second delay. So once the 3rd guy from the original 3 falls dash towards the lovers peak entrance down the hill. The enemies will spawn and they will only see the kidnapper leaving you to watch the shown from the bottom of the hill. Since he has unlimited ammo and health its an auto win for you.

Don't you need to remove the darkness from them? It's not as easy as stand back and let it all happen.

Seddo
06-28-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't you need to remove the darkness from them? It's not as easy as stand back and let it all happen.
I've just tried it and it worked a charm :D, just stood at the bottom and didn't even have to burn the darkness away from the Taken, the kidnapper just killed them all.

Nice one matey.

Ali_P_84
06-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I've just tried it and it worked a charm :D, just stood at the bottom and didn't even have to burn the darkness away from the Taken, the kidnapper just killed them all.

Nice one matey.

Bit of a cop out though isn't it? That section is a little difficult on Nightmare but certainly beatable by doing it properly.

anthonyd46
06-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Bit of a cop out though isn't it? That section is a little difficult on Nightmare but certainly beatable by doing it properly.

lol cop out? look the point of this site is to find the easiest ways to get achievments the game is 6 episodes long if a method is found to make one of the trickier parts easier whats the big deal? I kept getting about half through then getting killed so i was like hmm i wonder if when the second group spawns if they dont see me can i just watch and sure enough if it worked.

cheeky 315
06-30-2010, 09:12 AM
i did not struggle with the kidnapper part at all

just collect the hidden chests and dont waste flares and you will have more than enough to do it with relative ease

i had i think 8 flares and 18 batteries, i just went on full beam used up all my bateries and if they got too close i dropped a flare. I never died at all doing this part

simples

York82
07-02-2010, 07:18 AM
i did not struggle with the kidnapper part at all

just collect the hidden chests and dont waste flares and you will have more than enough to do it with relative ease

i had i think 8 flares and 18 batteries, i just went on full beam used up all my bateries and if they got too close i dropped a flare. I never died at all doing this part

simples

Word.
People already scared me off before I started this epidose....but it was such a joke :)
Im on Chapter 4 now.....the only stupid thing are the potergeist objects so far!

nateeasy
07-08-2010, 03:23 AM
ANy tips on episode 4. The part where youre waiting for barry to open the gate.

Ali_P_84
07-08-2010, 09:15 AM
ANy tips on episode 4. The part where youre waiting for barry to open the gate.

This was the toughest part of the game for me. Utilise your flares if you have any, then when they run out just run around and dodge until the gate is open and sprint for it. That's how I managed it on Nightmare.

nateeasy
07-08-2010, 04:23 PM
I eventually got it. I ran all the way to the opposite side. The little platform that had a manuscript on it. Some of the taken stayed at the gate and some followed me. There was only one route up there so It made it easier. Then when the gate opened ran through it dodging attacks.

nateeasy
07-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Episode 6. Crossing the bridge. The Bulldozer gets me every time.

Ali_P_84
07-09-2010, 07:38 AM

Flashbangs my friend, and plenty of them.

Nlkuysdf
07-09-2010, 04:27 PM
So I've gotten through episode 5 on nightmare with few hiccups. The kidnapper and the gate at end of chapter 4 posed no problems, didnt die once on either. Dr hartman or whatever his name is was the hardest part for me so far, the damn birds kept getting me. So my question is, what do I have to look forward to for episode 6? how hard should I expect it to be relative to the fist 5 episodes?

Only part I'm not looking forward to is the part where you use the huge light to fight off the enemies before pushing off the mine cart. Should I do what I did when I did it on normal without firing a shot? Just dropped flares, pushed the cart and ran for it?

cheeky 315
07-10-2010, 10:35 AM
So I've gotten through episode 5 on nightmare with few hiccups. The kidnapper and the gate at end of chapter 4 posed no problems, didnt die once on either. Dr hartman or whatever his name is was the hardest part for me so far, the damn birds kept getting me. So my question is, what do I have to look forward to for episode 6? how hard should I expect it to be relative to the fist 5 episodes?

Only part I'm not looking forward to is the part where you use the huge light to fight off the enemies before pushing off the mine cart. Should I do what I did when I did it on normal without firing a shot? Just dropped flares, pushed the cart and ran for it?

crossing the bridge is slightly challenging (take your time), the bulldozer would be really tough without flashbangs. If you collect the hidden crates and wond waste equipment its not too hard

The bit with the light is not too bad drop a couple of flares as you run to the light. Use the light to kill everything, when the chainsaw dudes turn up use the flare gun to the left of the light to take them out.

Hurricanes550
07-10-2010, 08:19 PM
I would say the most times I died was during Episode 2 during the last stand on Lover's Peak with the kidnapper...he just did not shoot them fast enough..also the bulldozer in Episode 3 gave me a little trouble but not a lot. Finally any episode with the poltergeist objects. Those things were a pain in the butt.

Big Robawt
07-11-2010, 06:44 AM
For me the hardest part was when Barry was waiting right outside the gate. It was difficult because I only 1 flare and was low on ammo. (Stressed me out a bit) Besides that, it was cool.:woop:

esio gk
07-11-2010, 06:02 PM
The hardest part for me was poltergeist bridge crossing, but no the one in episode 6, the one in episode 3, after you run from radio station. I ended up using flare to go exit and then flashbang to remove objects blocking the exit. I finished the rest of the game with no major problems.

AlanWakeUp
07-11-2010, 07:33 PM
The hardest part for me was poltergeist bridge crossing, but no the one in episode 6, the one in episode 3, after you run from radio station. I ended up using flare to go exit and then flashbang to remove objects blocking the exit. I finished the rest of the game with no major problems.

Yeah, that's where I got stuck, crossing that bridge, died so many times. But after that completed the game with no problems, just conserve, conserve, conserve, try as much as you can to run to the Safe Zone and if you're getting caught just drop a flare and run for dear life.

Think the tactic for Nightmare is to keep moving and move at pace, and collect all Chests and Pick Ups. that ONE Flashbang you missed might make all the difference. Also try and use the surroundings to your advantage.

So top tips:

1) Keep Moving at Pace
2) Conserve ammo and supplies
3) Be aware of your surroundings, trap and block enemies or push them in the general direction of an electric fence heh
4) enjoy

BenWo
07-11-2010, 08:36 PM
The Hardest Episode for me was 4.

A few reasons why...

The first part of the second part of the episode when you have to get through quite a way without a weapon

The part in the barn when you are trying to leave after smashing open the door was annoying

The Harvester

The Stage rock and roll defence part can be a little annoying too..

And the garden when Barry is looking for the key

Still pretty easy all in all but those are the parts that stood out for me.

GoJoeThibaultGo
07-15-2010, 03:32 PM
im having some trouble during the ambush 1/3 of the way through episode 3 with the work lights scattered around. i have a flashbang and a few flares along with my pistol and shotgun. is it worth it to just fight them or run away?

Nlkuysdf
07-15-2010, 03:34 PM
Anytime you can run away and save ammo, do it. Running is your best friend on nightmare.

Yontnaem
07-15-2010, 03:54 PM
Only places I struggled was the bridge with harvester and then strangely (don't think anyone else has mentioned it) the searchlight on top of the dam (but i think i may have just been a bit tired by that point).

Nlkuysdf
07-15-2010, 04:01 PM
The only part I died more than once at was the Dr. The damn birds kept killing me. I was also trying not to use flares or the Flare gun since I knew the "hardest part of the game" (where Barry is at the end of the maze unlocking the gate) was coming up. Ironically enough I got through the maze part incredibly easy on the first try with plenty of ammo to spare.

ChronoGrimlock
07-16-2010, 02:00 PM
The Hardest Episode for me was 4.

A few reasons why...

The first part of the second part of the episode when you have to get through quite a way without a weapon

The part in the barn when you are trying to leave after smashing open the door was annoying

The Harvester

The Stage rock and roll defence part can be a little annoying too..

And the garden when Barry is looking for the key

Still pretty easy all in all but those are the parts that stood out for me.
Ditto^

I found the stage defense was difficult because I found the Taken moved surprisingly fast...er, faster.

cpkbob
07-16-2010, 03:16 PM
This thread makes no sense. This game was easy on nightmare.

Seddo
07-16-2010, 04:05 PM
This thread makes no sense. This game was easy on nightmare.
Well aren't you just a hero.

Zombie Collect
07-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Same for me.

Angelky
07-17-2010, 06:02 PM
i didn't really have any problems with the lovers peak part. excpet the fact the kidnapper can't aim for crap..im so not looking forward to ep 6 and getting to the end. but so far i only died twice on nightmare. both times was my own fault. 1st time..stuck on sign.. 2nd time..gang banged by the fast taken..=(

but overall im enjoying my nightmare playthru

SweetBlackMagic
07-19-2010, 08:02 PM
Can anyone give me an idea of how long the Nightmare runthrough will take since you don't have to look for all the items (only the new Manuscript Pages) and know the general areas for combat, objects, etc.?

Angelky
07-21-2010, 07:29 AM
well since i stopped playing to finish war for cybertron.. i gotten thru the eps so far real quick..like less than a hour. im on the part where your running from the cops.

LK Tien
07-22-2010, 09:16 AM
i thought the kidnapper part wasn't hard really, i just got kinda pissed because i thought he bugged out and didnt shoot anything, somehow the lvl ended with one of the big hunters still alive

for the barrys garden part i just kept running in circles kiting the hunter taken and taking out the ones with those giant knives

Green Day Rock
07-23-2010, 11:45 AM
The hardest bit in nightmare is near the end of the first section of chapter 4 when your escaping from the mental asylum place. Right at the end when you have to defend against the taken with a small amount of flares as barry tries to unlock a gate behind you. There's nowhere to run and you use bullets and flares quickly.

ImmortalArbiter
07-23-2010, 04:08 PM
So far I've done the first four Episodes on Nightmare, and since I refused to use a guide my first time through (did not want anything ruined, period) I'm doing all of the collectibles now too.

Sure, I've died a few times, but I really don't find this too difficult. I guess that's one of the good things about having Ninja Gaiden 2 finished - nothing seems very hard after Master Ninja.

Hoping to have it finished today, then I'll be ready for the DLC! I just hope this game does well enough to warrant the sequel that we all want.

SandpiperN121PP
07-25-2010, 05:49 PM
For me it was going thru the forest to Lovers Peak. I got to the one point where you go under the log type bridge with the 5 guys and had only 16 shots and one flare left. I thought I was done for... but I managed to make it using some creative ideas! :)

funfive2002
07-27-2010, 09:33 PM
For me it was going thru the forest to Lovers Peak. I got to the one point where you go under the log type bridge with the 5 guys and had only 16 shots and one flare left. I thought I was done for... but I managed to make it using some creative ideas! :)

Mind to share those creative ideas?:woop:

notgninnep
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
not looking forward to the 2nd playthrough

Hircarnil
07-28-2010, 02:29 PM
I found Episode 4 really challenging on nightmare. The maze, running around with no torch, then only a torch. The set piece on the stage too was pretty intense.

Though Episode 6 on Nightmare Mode and trying to get Gunless Wonder at the same time. Now that is crazy hard.

Poppygalaxy
07-28-2010, 03:05 PM
Episode 4. But noting is really hard. Just dodge like crazy :p

BAMF Sangwich
07-30-2010, 03:51 AM
I thought episode 6 was the hardest, but it really wasnt that bad. Just drop a flare and run like forest gump

Spot2009
07-30-2010, 09:45 AM
To be honest I thought Nightmare was pretty easy. I haven't touched the game since the end of May (beating Hard), so I'm not too good at comparing the 2 difficulties. Basically in Hard I ended up with way too much ammo and I'm pretty sure the same happened in Nightmare for me. But I'd probably say Episode 2 because I hated going through the forest.

Now The Signal is a bitch... I died a few times on Normal.. Wtf?

OverdoneKiller
08-01-2010, 03:51 PM
Can't remember any problems with it really apart from run checkpoint run checkpoint and ended most episodes with flares/flashbangs left over.

HAK Devil
08-03-2010, 02:54 PM
I thought episode 2 was the most difficult just because you do not have any good weapons for the majority of its duration and it really emphasizes Alan Wake's lack of running ability

Wizpig
08-03-2010, 09:12 PM
I don't think there's anything really "hard" in Nightmare.

Well, I guess the road for Cauldron Lake had a difficult spot, but that's just because I went for (and unlocked) Gunless Wonder in Nightmare mode.

jd070993
08-04-2010, 10:11 AM
The bridge full of the possessed objects in Episode 6 was a bit of a rough ride, but apart from that, it's not all that hard. Just drop any flares you have and run for the nearest light :)

Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for The Signal. Now THAT was hard, even on Normal.

Ali_P_84
08-07-2010, 01:24 PM
Unfortunately, the same cannot be said for The Signal. Now THAT was hard, even on Normal.

I agree with that. It feels so much more enclosed than the main game.

TwinTipZ
08-15-2010, 04:43 PM
Just finished episode 4 on Nightmare. 1-3 were a breeze, only died once. The beginning of episode 4 was a bitch though. Not hard exactly, just annoying. The doctor part was the hardest because he used so many batteries and those damn birds. Eventually just figured out that if I run in that gazebo, grab the flare, and used that flare on the next two respawning taken, that I could just avoid fighting the Doctor.

EliteShadowMan
08-15-2010, 06:29 PM
i would say probably Episode 5 just because its the longest Episode (you do get help) but even still that chapter can be a bitch at some parts. episode 4 would be really close though.

Dowgle
08-16-2010, 03:16 AM
I dunno about yous, but midway through episode 2 i always run out of ammo on any difficulty, It just seems to happen, not too bad if you just run, boost, run though.

Im currently up to episode 5 and I have had no problems at all. Way too easy considering its the hardest difficulty.

erere
08-16-2010, 05:20 AM
I think game on the nightmare was very easy... just use the flare as your best friend :p

There were two small difficulties locations:

1. Chapter 4:
When you have finished labyrinth and meets a "boss"-like thing with all the birds

2. Chapter 6:
When you go over the bridge where all the objects being thrown at you. At the end of the bridge so you will meet a working car. (I do not think this is so difficult, but I was tired and irritated, hehe)

BUZZARDIO 1080
08-17-2010, 08:26 AM
the transformer yard i guess, theres a pretty hardcore ambush oncew you get inside the first building.

CMpunk17
08-17-2010, 05:16 PM
yeah. it was a pain in the ass for me on nightmare mainly because i did the rest of the collectible achievements on that playthrough. never again. it was also disapointing that there wasnt a little something extra at the last cutscene or something like that :/ because i feel i deserve a reward... lol

Evo Kazz
08-21-2010, 06:50 PM
Why are difficulties so over hyped these days?

I used to hate playing games on hard for achievements, but they seem to get easier and easier, I was put off playing Prototype on hard cos of the forums, and it was simple, Dead Space is another people groaned about, another easy one, now Alan Wake.

After reading this thread I was dreading chapters 1 - 4, knowing 5 and 6 were easier I still worried about getting there. I have just beat chapter 1 - 4 in one session only dying a handful of times, anyone being put off reading this thread, don't be, it is really easy. The part with Barry at the gate I was dreading, I passed it first time with hardly any effort. You can almost run through most of the battles.

unholyro11er
08-21-2010, 07:25 PM
I've got to the start of Chapter 6 and the combine harvester fight was the hardest part for me, took 7 attempts as I kept getting run over. 1st time I got it the last guy sneaked up on me and killed me..very annoying

CMpunk17
08-22-2010, 02:15 AM
Why are difficulties so over hyped these days?

I used to hate playing games on hard for achievements, but they seem to get easier and easier, I was put off playing Prototype on hard cos of the forums, and it was simple, Dead Space is another people groaned about, another easy one, now Alan Wake.

After reading this thread I was dreading chapters 1 - 4, knowing 5 and 6 were easier I still worried about getting there. I have just beat chapter 1 - 4 in one session only dying a handful of times, anyone being put off reading this thread, don't be, it is really easy. The part with Barry at the gate I was dreading, I passed it first time with hardly any effort. You can almost run through most of the battles.
video game difficulties arent "overhyped." if u thought it was easy congrats because a ton of people didnt. and we're sorry your holiness that we arent gods at videogames like you. the reason people use forums is because they struggle with videogames and apparently you dont struggle at all so why do you use them. and if that was you giving advice... well thats just pathetic. "i died 25 times on this level please oh please II kazz II what should i do??" "dont worry its an easy level"... bullshit advice. you suck :)

Helium
08-23-2010, 08:35 PM
I'll say that hardest is episode 5 helicopter part when you have to wait that Barry and sherif gets helicopter up. I think episodes 1-3,6 are medium hard in nightmare. Episode 4 is just litel bit harder not much though.

Alaskanassassin
08-23-2010, 08:57 PM
I thought the whole game was easy if you learn to just run like hell and conserve flares. The only part that gave me trouble was the bridge in episode 6, but once ya learn to hide behind cars and to the left of the red truck for the crane it's just as easy.

CMpunk17
08-24-2010, 06:38 AM
I thought the whole game was easy if you learn to just run like hell and conserve flares. The only part that gave me trouble was the bridge in episode 6, but once ya learn to hide behind cars and to the left of the red truck for the crane it's just as easy.
haha you just pointed out the easiest part of the game. you dont even have to cross the bridge. its SPINNING. think about it.

Alaskanassassin
08-24-2010, 07:56 AM
haha you just pointed out the easiest part of the game. you dont even have to cross the bridge. its SPINNING. think about it.
That's chapter 5 bud, Chapter 6 bridge......

CMpunk17
08-26-2010, 02:17 AM
That's chapter 5 bud, Chapter 6 bridge......
haha my bad chief. i went through 6 high i dont even remember. were there a ton of poltergeists?

willp2003
08-26-2010, 08:08 AM
finished it on nightmare last night. hardest bit was i think episode 4, where you go through the little maze and then have to take on the guy in the little band stand thingy.

Did the cheevo for episode 5 (without dying), so it can't be that hard. Couldn't manage the episode 6 cheevo for not firing you gun on NM tho - got the the very end, and only had 2 flares left. Just couldn't destroy the objects and fend off the taken. will get that on normal today hopefully.

TsarBlandi
08-27-2010, 02:24 PM
Dudes what the hell, Nightmare was my second runthrough and i think i found hard difficulty the hardest due to not knowing when i could use my strongest weapons... Nightmare was a walk in the park, i even went through and did the chapter related achievements during that time without trying (cept Meet the Deadline), i dont wanna get used to Normal and then struggle when the new DLC is out x)

i did find the bit in the valley at the end took a couple attempts due to me doing it without firing a weapon, but then i just ran on ahead and it was all gd

CMpunk17
08-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Dudes what the hell, Nightmare was my second runthrough and i think i found hard difficulty the hardest due to not knowing when i could use my strongest weapons... Nightmare was a walk in the park, i even went through and did the chapter related achievements during that time without trying (cept Meet the Deadline), i dont wanna get used to Normal and then struggle when the new DLC is out x)

i did find the bit in the valley at the end took a couple attempts due to me doing it without firing a weapon, but then i just ran on ahead and it was all gd
yeah it was a walk in the park for a fat guy lmao

Lordji
08-27-2010, 11:24 PM
Well, I guess this thread kinda reassures me. I only have the nightmare game and manuscripts to do and I am a bit afraid but, eh, everyone says it's not that hard so let's go (tomorrow).

CMpunk17
08-27-2010, 11:52 PM

right, it was a walk in the park... for a fat guy lmao

o0ArA0o
08-29-2010, 08:09 PM
All the hold the line until something happens scenes are a bit annoying because you cant just run away to the next save haven. I think the end of chapter 2 with the dude that goes on a bullet frenzy on all the Taken who still have their shadow shield while I dodge my ass with another one was a bit frustrating, but doable.

Midnight Malice
08-30-2010, 04:52 AM
In all honesty, I think the chapter I died the most (which wasnt much) was the first one, due to not knowing the strength of the enemies, and still trying to use my strategy from normal. Once you adapt to Nightmare, it is easy... all of it. I died a lot less, and finished it a heck of a lot quicker. Collectibles were a big part of the finishing quicker, but if you do what I did and avoid most fights, it is cake.

Where I could, I just held them back with a boosted flashlight, sprinted forward until I got tired then walked backward stunning them with the light, then ran more when i could sprint again. That made it really really easy, and I was sure to have plenty of ammo when I HAD to fight. If I had to guess, I only died like 5 or 6 times on Nightmare, just because I was trying to run through as fast as possible and just got caught up with multiple enemeis around me and couldn't get off a flare or flashbang after they hit me the first time. Hell, the last chapters forest run, all i did was pop a flare sprint pop a flare sprint... I dont think i stopped to kill any of them during the last part of 6.

CMpunk17
08-30-2010, 03:33 PM
In all honesty, I think the chapter I died the most (which wasnt much) was the first one, due to not knowing the strength of the enemies, and still trying to use my strategy from normal. Once you adapt to Nightmare, it is easy... all of it. I died a lot less, and finished it a heck of a lot quicker. Collectibles were a big part of the finishing quicker, but if you do what I did and avoid most fights, it is cake.

Where I could, I just held them back with a boosted flashlight, sprinted forward until I got tired then walked backward stunning them with the light, then ran more when i could sprint again. That made it really really easy, and I was sure to have plenty of ammo when I HAD to fight. If I had to guess, I only died like 5 or 6 times on Nightmare, just because I was trying to run through as fast as possible and just got caught up with multiple enemeis around me and couldn't get off a flare or flashbang after they hit me the first time. Hell, the last chapters forest run, all i did was pop a flare sprint pop a flare sprint... I dont think i stopped to kill any of them during the last part of 6.
where did u submit your unknown achievement pic to get that award?

amacteur
09-10-2010, 07:58 AM
I managed to complete AW on Nightmare couple of hours ago and found that quite easy.

The only rough part was during episode 6, when I had to cross the bridge, I think I died 3 or 4 times :mad:

The best strategy to complete the game on Nightmare is: RUN, use light, flares and flashbangs :D

CMpunk17
09-10-2010, 11:31 PM
I managed to complete AW on Nightmare couple of hours ago and found that quite easy.

The only rough part was during episode 6, when I had to cross the bridge, I think I died 3 or 4 times :mad:

The best strategy to complete the game on Nightmare is: RUN, use light, flares and flashbangs :D
i never thought of that... lmao

Miss Allen86
09-14-2010, 08:23 PM
Nightmare was easy as pie.....mmmm I like pie.

raidenhardcore
09-18-2010, 04:24 PM
Im at the Anderson farm and so far its going pretty easy,

Hartman was pretty hard cuz the annoying birds will attack at the same time, just run into the Gazebo and get the flare gun and shoot him with that,
The maze was quite hard since ammo is pretty scarce at first and when Barry has to open the gate its just a few tries, but make sure you get the hidden chest just before this fight to arm up.

The most annoying factor is that when you start new episodes you lose all your weapons everytime, which makes it a little difficult when to save up your ammo or just fire away.

Xylon Uxkid
09-19-2010, 01:53 PM
I hated the part with the Kidnapper, he's a noob.

CMpunk17
09-20-2010, 02:36 AM
Im at the Anderson farm and so far its going pretty easy,

Hartman was pretty hard cuz the annoying birds will attack at the same time, just run into the Gazebo and get the flare gun and shoot him with that,
The maze was quite hard since ammo is pretty scarce at first and when Barry has to open the gate its just a few tries, but make sure you get the hidden chest just before this fight to arm up.

The most annoying factor is that when you start new episodes you lose all your weapons everytime, which makes it a little difficult when to save up your ammo or just fire away.
i thought that was his bodyguard that u fought after the hedge maze

raidenhardcore
09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
hmm could be too, Ive completed nightmare and it was real easy, ammo is plenty to be found everywhere, the hardest part was not to forget to pick up the nightmare pages since youre running most of the time.
Still I think it took me almost 30-40 hours to complete everything to 1k and enjoyed every minute of it.

CRNBRD
09-21-2010, 07:03 AM
I feel like the hardest part for me was the poltergeist items. Every single time I came across one, it would take at least the whole flashlight and then some to destroy it. The train bridge you go across (in I believe Chapter 4) and the bridge with the log mover (where you are driving the car a bunch). I haven't seem many people complain about this so maybe I'm one of the few.

Overall great game though. I thoroughly enjoyed the book as well. Can't wait for the sequel.

-CRNBRD

bluphraust
12-28-2010, 05:35 AM
i thought that was his bodyguard that u fought after the hedge maze

It is his bodyguard, if you look you can tell easily.
I think everyone says it's Hartman because that's what it says in some of the guides.
Hartman is swallowed by the darkness before you ever leave the lodge.

By the way, you don't even have to fight the bodyguard or the birds;
just run around to the right of the gazeebo following the edge on around until you're past the gazeebo, and then bolt to the right to the Safe Haven.

CMpunk17
12-28-2010, 08:24 PM
It is his bodyguard, if you look you can tell easily.
I think everyone says it's Hartman because that's what it says in some of the guides.
Hartman is swallowed by the darkness before you ever leave the lodge.

By the way, you don't even have to fight the bodyguard or the birds;
just run around to the right of the gazeebo following the edge on around until you're past the gazeebo, and then bolt to the right to the Safe Haven.
haha yeah i figured that out on my run through nightmare. running past things is an easy solution. for everything. ever. especially alan wake.

Diozakrod
01-02-2011, 01:30 AM
None of them stick out really...

This is probably the easiest game I've ever beaten on the hardest difficulty. The fact that you can run by 90% of the games enemies kinda takes away from the challenge.

FSparacino4
01-07-2011, 11:07 AM
I heard beating the DLCs without restarting or dying are harder than nightmare mode on retail. If this is true then I will breeze right through it.

crackedeggs1
01-14-2011, 08:11 AM
Yeah, so far for me Nightmare doesn't seem too hard. The main difference is that it takes about 2x bullets to kill some taken, and about 3x time to shine away their darkness.

Like others, I did notice that the kidnapper was a terrible shot in this mode though.

And my most frustrating part so far is probably the bridge in the chapter where the cops chase you, the first part with possessed objects. Since it takes so long for the flashlight to kill them, and I only had 3 flares at that part, and they seem to block the exit, it took me a while before the game gave me a restart in which they didn't block the exit.

FSparacino4
01-14-2011, 08:31 AM
So I finished the game several days ago and, as I expected, doing the DLC achievements for not dying or reloading a checkpoint for the whole episode (on Normal difficulty) were harder than the game on nightmare. The only part I "really struggled" with (4-5 attempts lol) was the part after the Hedge maze where you are waiting for Barry to open the gate. For some reason, on my first few attempts dropping flares did nothing to stop the Taken that climbed over the side of the stairs. So after 3 attempts I hopped down to the right side (when your back is against the fence) dropped a flare and killed the Taken there. All and all, a very easy playthrough knowing what to expect from my normal runthrough.

I R BFOG
01-14-2011, 10:34 AM

I just used your advice and worked like a charm. Though something weird happened. I got impatient and went back up to the kidnapper to find him totally surrounded by taken, like atleast a dozen of them. Then I get hit and as im dying it goes to the cutscene and I beat that section :woop: . Strange but it worked lol

Just finished episode 3 on nightmare and nothing really difficult so far. Love this game.

twinkie
01-14-2011, 09:00 PM
So I finished the game several days ago and, as I expected, doing the DLC achievements for not dying or reloading a checkpoint for the whole episode (on Normal difficulty) were harder than the game on nightmare.

really? i thought not dying in the DLC was easy as pie :eek:

FSparacino4
01-16-2011, 05:10 AM
really? i thought not dying in the DLC was easy as pie :eek:

Well I said it was harder, not hard. Harder than easy as hell = pretty easy still. :) It was a comparison, that is all.

I R BFOG
01-16-2011, 05:29 AM
Doing the Museum to Cauldron Lake in 30 minutes and Make it to Cauldron Lake without firing a single shot achievements are fantastic practice for your nightmare run. Didnt find the nightmare difficulty hard at all after completing these. Highly recommend doing them first.

Also ammo is just as prevalent on nightmare as it is on easy. You still have to conserve but its not a huge concern. Eg i finished episode 4 with pretty much full ammo including about 10 flares, 8 flashbangs and a decent amount of flare gun ammo. Episode 5 was more scarce though. in fact ran out of bullets for both guns by the time i got back to the lamp lady. Episode 6? hardly shoot at all. Pretty much just use flares and flare gun and do what you did in Gunless Wonder achievement.

And the poltergeist bridge in episode 6 is easy if you take your time. Only move forward enough to trigger an attack then retreat behind cover then destroy the objects. Only move forward again when your health and flashlight regenerate fully. And when you get to the end of the bridge if you stand on the left hand side of the big earthmoving thing (sorry the name of it isnt in my head atm lol), behind a car, it cant hit you at all. Just throw a couple of flashbangs at it or wear it down with your torch and its done. I didnt die at all on this part.

coloneilfrost
07-01-2011, 09:22 PM
interesting.......