PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth it to buy a Strategy Guide???

gmorra
06-10-2010, 01:56 PM
I was wondering if it may be Is it worth it to buy a Strategy Guide for this game? Do you think it might help out at all? Thanks in advance!

kwokovich
06-10-2010, 03:34 PM
I didn't bother with a guide as it may have ruined the story for me. Can't comment on what the guide has in it as I don't have it. But I got along fine. Your choice really...its not as if it's heavy on collectibles achievements like other games.

gmorra
06-10-2010, 06:46 PM
I didn't bother with a guide as it may have ruined the story for me. Can't comment on what the guide has in it as I don't have it. But I got along fine. Your choice really...its not as if it's heavy on collectibles achievements like other games.

Cool, thanks for the post!
I usually buy strat guides for all my RPG's just to find & cheak off all side quests, loot, collectibles, etc....
But, if this game has none of that then there would be no reason to buy a guide i guess.

GalaxyRed13
06-10-2010, 06:54 PM
This game isn't technically a RPG. Yeah, there's a level-up system in place, and you have "consequences" on what you say in dialogue, but that's really all there is.

And, I swear if someone says "This is a RPG, because you're playing a character"...

gmorra
06-10-2010, 06:56 PM
This game isn't technically a RPG. Yeah, there's a level-up system in place, and you have "consequences" on what you say in dialogue, but that's really all there is.

And, I swear if someone says "This is a RPG, because you're playing a character"...

Yea true, i guess the sentence on the box art made me think it was!?

"THE ESPIONAGE RPG"

ivern
06-10-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't see how this is any less of an RPG than Mass Effect or Oblivion. It's not a "pure" RPG, but neither are those...once you bring combat into realtime you're bound to have a hybrid game, because the combat elements always cross over into another genre (be it hack and slash, shooter, stealth, RTS, etc.)

The RPG element is strong in AP (character building, inventory, and specially the conversation element and relationships/standings with the various NPCs), and it's got some shooter and some stealth in it as well. And some arcade minigames thrown in as well for good measure.

Ferocious
06-10-2010, 10:15 PM
I don't see how this is any less of an RPG than Mass Effect or Oblivion. It's not a "pure" RPG, but neither are those...once you bring combat into realtime you're bound to have a hybrid game, because the combat elements always cross over into another genre (be it hack and slash, shooter, stealth, RTS, etc.)

The RPG element is strong in AP (character building, inventory, and specially the conversation element and relationships/standings with the various NPCs), and it's got some shooter and some stealth in it as well. And some arcade minigames thrown in as well for good measure.

Agreed.

This is definitely an RPG and to think otherwise when it's something of fact, not opinion.. is either a joke or he's confused. There are many variations of RPG's, they aren't all select something from a menu and let your battles go on auto-pilot. This is a straight up Westernized RPG. All of the important RPG elements are there and there's no action game in the world where you have so many choices. There's not even many RPG's which come close to the amount of choices let alone there's none which can match how it directly sends ripples through the game.

Froot Cake
06-11-2010, 09:33 PM
never bought a guide in the last 4 years. My friend always finds them and downloads them for free and sends them to me via email. just google something like alpha protocol eguide and you will find a shit load of downloads for it. I stopped wasting my money on the guides.

gmorra
06-14-2010, 07:00 PM
Well I buy guides for all my rpgs like: Fallout 3, Mass effect 1 and 2, Oblivion. So for someone like ME do you think an Alpha Protocol guide book would be a good purchase?:confused:

aots fan
06-14-2010, 07:08 PM
alpha protocol is a rpg / shooter as with any rpg strategy guides are important if your trying to max out a character with the right items you want. but the other guy post they do kinda ruin the game experience but if u dont care buy it

Ferocious
06-14-2010, 07:09 PM
Well I buy guides for all my rpgs like: Fallout 3, Mass effect 1 and 2, Oblivion. So for someone like ME do you think an Alpha Protocol guide book would be a good purchase?:confused:

You answered your own question.

I didn't buy it for any of those games and actually, never for any game in my life. However, you said you ALWAYS buy them, so you pretty much answered your own question. Go for it if it makes you feel better. I don't think it's necessary for any game, but if it's something you feel more comfortable with at your side while you play a game, then go for it.

gmorra
06-14-2010, 07:51 PM
You answered your own question.

I didn't buy it for any of those games and actually, never for any game in my life. However, you said you ALWAYS buy them, so you pretty much answered your own question. Go for it if it makes you feel better. I don't think it's necessary for any game, but if it's something you feel more comfortable with at your side while you play a game, then go for it.

The reason I buy guides is too find out where secrets, easter eggs, or any other things are that a normal person would regularly miss! So my question really is...Does Alpha Protocol have any of these things that I may need a guide for???

seraphimneeded
06-16-2010, 07:18 PM
It'll help to some degree. Having looked through the guide, it's got some wrong info in a few places and doesn't always explain things as well as it should. It can be really helpful in getting the responses to conversations you want at times, but it's still not entirely accurate with them either in a few places. Basically, it's about the same quality as the game itself; it does some things right while doing others dead wrong.

gmorra
06-16-2010, 07:37 PM
It'll help to some degree. Having looked through the guide, it's got some wrong info in a few places and doesn't always explain things as well as it should. It can be really helpful in getting the responses to conversations you want at times, but it's still not entirely accurate with them either in a few places. Basically, it's about the same quality as the game itself; it does some things right while doing others dead wrong.

Cool, thanks for the info man!:drunk

Blueprotoss
06-17-2010, 06:37 PM

And, I swear if someone says "This is a RPG, because you're playing a character"... IAP is easily a RPG hence it has Espionage RPG while if you play it differently then you aren't playing the game correctly.

Voxael
06-25-2010, 02:17 PM
I was wondering if it may be Is it worth it to buy a Strategy Guide for this game? Do you think it might help out at all? Thanks in advance!

I'm using it myself at the moment.
It's good - the dialogue stances and hidden loot in particular.

If you usually buy guides, this one will be helpful. If you generally don't need the guides, then you can miss this one too.