PDA

View Full Version : My take on the ending and entire story-line (Obvious major spoilers)

Cakolukia
06-10-2010, 10:26 PM
Ok, I think I might be on to something here. I'm not sure if it's been said before but I've read quite a bit and haven't read this yet. I just replayed the last level and had a great idea for what the story as a whole could be. Here it is:

Zane AND Alan are both technically not real, but have been written into existence by somebody else in the past and so on and so forth for quite a long time. This whole thing has been on ongoing battle that continues with the Light (Zane, Alan) trying to defeat the Darkness (Barbara and later on Nightingale as seen looking kinda possessed in the window in the final cutscene).

Now you're probably asking, "How do you have any idea that this has been ongoing?" Well here it is:

Right before you put the clicker into Barbara and click it, she says something along the lines of, "I am much older than you or your first piece of art, I will just find another face to wear!"

Do you see it yet? Technically, Alan is part of Zane because Zane wrote him, and Zane would be part of whoever wrote him going back to whenever this whole thing started, making the darkness indeed older.

I also believe the writers in this story are also interwoven, meaning that Zane wrote Alan before writing himself out, but Alan wrote Zane in to write Alan. Breaking that down to try to simplify it, Zane wrote Alan into existence as a fail-safe to defeat the darkness, and then wrote himself out of existence as one last attempt to defeat it himself. Alan grew up because of Zane's writings then later goes to Bright Falls because Zane wrote it so, and while there writes Zane in to help him and also wrote Zane to write himself in the past so that he could write Zane.

So what I think the whole story is, is only a tiny segment of everything that has been happening, hence the metaphorical line, "It's not a lake, it's an ocean..."

What do you all think?

Blue Thunder28
06-10-2010, 11:09 PM
I was thinking the same thing as this! Awesome. Amazing story, loved every second of it.

Redskinsfan26
06-11-2010, 02:06 AM
Exactly what I was thinking. I started replaying on Nightmare and realized that in the first part that Zane enters Alan's dream/nightmare he was trying to guide Alan on what to do when he faces the darkness for the first time. This definately means that Zane wrote Alan Wake as a character to try and stop all of this for good as Zane has already witnessed the darkness.

On a side note, I hope that there will be DLC involving Alan Wake's fictional character Alex Casey.

Neomaster
06-11-2010, 07:25 AM
as long as the DLC dosnt make it an ending like lost's :p

but thats quite a theory, and it seems to fit pretty well, little bit hard to wrap my head arround tho

thedoob
06-14-2010, 04:22 PM
This was the same theory I figured up as well. It'll be interesting when the DLC drops to see if it supports this. I'm waiting for the different perspective for Barry, that is going to happen, count it.